Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When? - 6/3/2013 10:17:49 PM   
wfzimmerman

Tuning back in after a long absence.

Glad to see that things are still moving along.

It concerns me that the same show-stopping Theme Engine bugs have been at the top of the report for two months straight. I would cut the Gordian knot and plug in the Windows code right now. No bugs that severe should be allowed to survive for this long.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3241
RE: When? - 6/4/2013 1:01:34 AM   
brian brian

"since supply only needs to be recalculated for the moving unit"

Is MWiF changing supply status for the moving unit as it moves?

"for air units returning to base"

not sure why it is checked there....couldn't that be done for the whole board at once at the end of combat? air units returning to base can't fly again regardless.

dynamic supply status has cost a lot, I think. what if supply status was only checked for a player if they clicked on a unit? then the player could choose how much time the program spends on it. aside from the mandatory checks before any move, combat, or re-org? probably too late now I guess. setting flags so the whole board isn't recalculated seems to be a lot of work.

Post #: 3242
RE: When? - 6/4/2013 4:10:11 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman

Tuning back in after a long absence.

Glad to see that things are still moving along.

It concerns me that the same show-stopping Theme Engine bugs have been at the top of the report for two months straight. I would cut the Gordian knot and plug in the Windows code right now. No bugs that severe should be allowed to survive for this long.

2 months? Try 2 years!

One only occurs when the game is minimized - and not always under that circumstance. The other has to do with listing detailed (Windows disk file) information about a saved game - again this is not something that players do very often.

When deciding whether to restore a saved game, MWIF presents a bunch of information about the game: real world date and time saved, game turn, impulse #, phase, which major powers are deciding, etc.

The standard Windows graphics are really ugly. Besides, the use of unique colors (which is the primary purpose for using Theme Engine) for each major power is a great help when playing the game: you always are reminded of for which major power you are making decisions.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 3243
RE: When? - 6/4/2013 4:19:40 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

"since supply only needs to be recalculated for the moving unit"

Is MWiF changing supply status for the moving unit as it moves?

"for air units returning to base"

not sure why it is checked there....couldn't that be done for the whole board at once at the end of combat? air units returning to base can't fly again regardless.

dynamic supply status has cost a lot, I think. what if supply status was only checked for a player if they clicked on a unit? then the player could choose how much time the program spends on it. aside from the mandatory checks before any move, combat, or re-org? probably too late now I guess. setting flags so the whole board isn't recalculated seems to be a lot of work.

It's actually faster to recalculate supply for each unit as it returns to base, since supply is calculated for just that unit. Searching the map for all units that have returned to base in the previous phase would take more time.

Determining supply status for a unit takes less than 10 milliseconds. The vast amount of the time required to recalculate supply is for the paths from secondary supply sources to primary supply sources. Once those are known, tertiary supply sources and units have at most 4 Basic Supply Path Hexes to search. Note that valid sea area routes are determined when checking supply paths for the secondary supply sources.

So, as long as nothing has happened to change the supply status of the ultimate or intermediary supply sources, calculating unit supply is super fast. Even when something has occurred that changes supply for a supply source, the first check is to see if the old path still works - which is usually the case. Validating previous supply paths is also super fast.

Steve

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 3244
RE: Proper Place? - 6/4/2013 9:45:13 AM   
Joseignacio

Steve, as of now (sorry if I disturb but I cannot very well interprete the Report due to my lack of knowledge in those processes), would you say we are speaking of months or of years for the release?

I stand by my comments that the game will be ready when it's ready. And I understand that, although you have not been commenting on your health, that is probably an issue yet (and for some time perhaps), but I reminded to my wif group that there is this game coming (final betatesting phase), but they would like to know if we're speaking of months or years. If possible.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3245
RE: Proper Place? - 6/4/2013 8:47:31 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Steve, as of now (sorry if I disturb but I cannot very well interprete the Report due to my lack of knowledge in those processes), would you say we are speaking of months or of years for the release?

I stand by my comments that the game will be ready when it's ready. And I understand that, although you have not been commenting on your health, that is probably an issue yet (and for some time perhaps), but I reminded to my wif group that there is this game coming (final betatesting phase), but they would like to know if we're speaking of months or years. If possible.

Months.

My health is mostly stable at this point. I haven't been writing about it in the monthly reports recently because I didn't see it as being of particular interest to most readers - unless more dire things occurred. My left eye, which had treatment for a melanoma in August 2011 is clear of cancer cells, but the radiation treatment has had some lingering bad effects. In the past couple of months it has reverted from 20/40 vision to not performing well at all. I'm getting injections into that eye every 6 weeks now. For the record, having a doctor stick a needle in your eye is better than having one come at you with a scalpel. None of this particularly affects my productivity, although I have noticed that my left eye has been complaining sooner (after 2-3 hours) when I work at the computer for long periods.

Steve

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 3246
RE: Proper Place? - 6/5/2013 1:01:59 AM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

BTW, and as you no doubt know, the "issue" of German partisans is not in anyway holding up the game because they are not in the game.

Oh Lord, I guess I should have included smilies... I hope the thousands of people reading this are not likewise confused.

Hi Cruss how are you, I wish you did post 20 times a month I miss your intuitiveness when you only post 8 times a month. Most of the time I am confused but not by this post, you are just expressing your concerns and most of us understand that

Notice Cruss just 2 smileys ooops 3

Bo

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 3247
RE: Proper Place? - 6/5/2013 3:50:23 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

quote:

"Number of hits" does not equal "Number of people." You know this. I give you 15-20 hits a month and I'm not that very active. My comment is based on common sense and a precisely tuned bull$hit detector.

So since the May report there have been 8 new posts - but you visit 15-20 times??? What are you hoping the posts magically change since last reading or do you have to read slowly and in small doses?

As for the finely tuned BS detector - I have no doubt you have one and that it is indeed finely tuned - after use on yourself, the original BSer...

Yes, CrusssDaddy visits quite often I have seen his handle here several times where he doesn't post. In fact he is on as I post this.

I do the same thing wondering if there are any new posts that are worth responding to.

Hows it going Cruss

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 3248
RE: Proper Place? - 6/5/2013 6:56:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

quote:

quote:

"Number of hits" does not equal "Number of people." You know this. I give you 15-20 hits a month and I'm not that very active. My comment is based on common sense and a precisely tuned bull$hit detector.

So since the May report there have been 8 new posts - but you visit 15-20 times??? What are you hoping the posts magically change since last reading or do you have to read slowly and in small doses?

As for the finely tuned BS detector - I have no doubt you have one and that it is indeed finely tuned - after use on yourself, the original BSer...

Yes, CrusssDaddy visits quite often I have seen his handle here several times where he doesn't post. In fact he is on as I post this.

I do the same thing wondering if there are any new posts that are worth responding to.

Hows it going Cruss

warspite1

Yep, makes perfect sense to me. You see a post dated, for example 1st June by say Steve. You go into the thread and read it + any previous posts you haven't read. Next day, and day after, and day after etc etc the last post is still dated 1st June by Steve, but you go in to the thread to see if there re any new posts worth responding to....

Er.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 3249
RE: Proper Place? - 6/6/2013 12:05:40 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hows it going Cruss

warspite1

Yep, makes perfect sense to me. You see a post dated, for example 1st June by say Steve. You go into the thread and read it + any previous posts you haven't read. Next day, and day after, and day after etc etc the last post is still dated 1st June by Steve, but you go in to the thread to see if there re any new posts worth responding to....

Er.....

I have no desire to ask for or participate in reading assignments from you.

Have you now decided to establish a time limit on posts here

How and when I post are up to me not you.

As I have mentioned in these forums confrontation is not the way to handle everyone that visits the forums.

Try to be civil even when you are confrontational.

Yes I am lecturing you (you need it).

When was the last time you took responsability and started a thread

Warspite1 since it is so important to you what is your "read a thread" to "post on a thread" ratio

I'm sure someone like you would be monitoring those statistics.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3250
RE: Proper Place? - 6/6/2013 5:43:21 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hows it going Cruss

warspite1

Er.....

As I have mentioned in these forums confrontation is not the way to handle everyone that visits the forums.

Yes I am lecturing you (you need it).

Warspite1 since it is so important to you what is your "read a thread" to "post on a thread" ratio

I'm sure someone like you would be monitoring those statistics.

warspite1

Oh dear....

quote:

You know full well - if you could be bothered to read the exchange - to what I was referring. My post had nothing to do with your post/viewing requirements. But then, as I say, you know this. You are just looking for an argument - as usual.

quote:

Please re-read that comment, but be careful you will probably choke on the irony. It is you that needs to reflect on how you "speak" to people on this forum. And yes I am lecturing you (you need it).

quote:

May want to check your spelling and punctuation there. Oh and by the way
"How and when I post are up to me not you". But more importantly, just what has that question got to do with the price of fish? Took responsibility?? What the .....?

So you started "strategy and repurcussions (may want to check your spelling) in the Balkans" - what? you want a medal? A decent thread that you totally ruined through your turgid nonsense on what a rule means and how it should be worded .

Anyway, I'll leave you and your new bezzy mate, crusssdaddy, to enjoy each others company. Good luck with that

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/6/2013 6:17:55 AM >

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 3251
RE: Proper Place? - 6/6/2013 4:22:57 PM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

For the record, having a doctor stick a needle in your eye is better than having one come at you with a scalpel.

Sadly, I know THIS experience, as every couple of years I get a needle in my left eye (to get my vision in that eye back down to 20-40).

This is absolutely no fun and I always wonder what if he sneezes while he is holding the needle in my eye...

Flipper

Post #: 3252
RE: Proper Place? - 6/7/2013 1:58:06 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

My quotes show what I what I was referring to. Cruss does logon and view the threads without posting, as do I.

December 3, 2012 Warspite1 creates a thread ~ OT Most Beautiful Ships of WWII

If you haven't noticed it is very slow here on the forums. Why haven't any of you been started a thread to provoke interest in the game? In my view if you start a thread then you are responsible for that thread. When I don't agree with some of the premises on a thread I am "bezzy" enough to keep it to myself or I ask questions.

Warspite1 is there nothing you as a beta tester have found in MWiF that would interest others who are not beta testers? Somehow I doubt that there is nothing you have found in MWiF that wouldn't interest others.

If any of you are passionate about an aspect of the game (pro or con) start a thread let's all discuss it. If you are a member of the MWiF beta test it may be necessary get Steve's permission first.

I thought I should also mention to those that suggest I play the game to understand it.

I played WiF prior to joining the ADG beta test Patrice considers this to be the ADG Alpha test. Most of you did not. I have a list of the ADG beta testers, as does Patrice. The group I played WiF with here interpreted several of the rules differently than you all do. This causes some very heated discussions here in the forums.

In this situation I stop in this order:
When Steve says to stop,
It is found on the ADG FAQ, or
There is a ruling from the Yahoo group that clarifies the situation, or
I am shown where I missed a rule within a rule.

Translation from the Queens English to American English: bezzy - friend, friends, or friendly.

Bezzy is a good word is it pronounced bee Zee?

Yes I have a link to translate slang for the Queens English. But it doesn't cover Coo. Is Coo like Cor?

You start to worry when the doctor tells you "I'm here to give you your colonoscopy", you inform him your there for an endoscopy, and he says he does both.

I don't mind putting a little fear into the doctors (it keeps them on their toes). But I dislike the stress wondering if the doctor is going to send the camera down the correct orifice.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 6/7/2013 2:00:05 PM >

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 3253
RE: Proper Place? - 6/7/2013 4:27:33 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

My quotes show what I what I was referring to. Cruss does logon and view the threads without posting, as do I.

December 3, 2012 Warspite1 creates a thread ~ OT Most Beautiful Ships of WWII

If you haven't noticed it is very slow here on the forums. Why haven't any of you been started a thread to provoke interest in the game? In my view if you start a thread then you are responsible for that thread. When I don't agree with some of the premises on a thread I am "bezzy" enough to keep it to myself or I ask questions.

Warspite1 is there nothing you as a beta tester have found in MWiF that would interest others who are not beta testers? Somehow I doubt that there is nothing you have found in MWiF that wouldn't interest others.

If any of you are passionate about an aspect of the game (pro or con) start a thread let's all discuss it. If you are a member of the MWiF beta test it may be necessary get Steve's permission first.

I thought I should also mention to those that suggest I play the game to understand it.

I played WiF prior to joining the ADG beta test Patrice considers this to be the ADG Alpha test. Most of you did not. I have a list of the ADG beta testers, as does Patrice. The group I played WiF with here interpreted several of the rules differently than you all do. This causes some very heated discussions here in the forums.

In this situation I stop in this order:
When Steve says to stop,
It is found on the ADG FAQ, or
There is a ruling from the Yahoo group that clarifies the situation, or
I am shown where I missed a rule within a rule.

Translation from the Queens English to American English: bezzy - friend, friends, or friendly.

Bezzy is a good word is it pronounced bee Zee?

Yes I have a link to translate slang for the Queens English. But it doesn't cover Coo. Is Coo like Cor?

You start to worry when the doctor tells you "I'm here to give you your colonoscopy", you inform him your there for an endoscopy, and he says he does both.

I don't mind putting a little fear into the doctors (it keeps them on their toes). But I dislike the stress wondering if the doctor is going to send the camera down the correct orifice.

Gee whiz I was finding this tit for tat very interesting between you two until this post, HUH! Now I am confused [easy to do] not nice to confuse the Bo, hopefully in the next month or two we will have a lot more constructive concerns about the game in your posts Extraneous as we wind down here to completion of this very complex game. Lets play nice

P.S. Please, double please, triple please, always let a sleeping dog lie do not awaken him because they can get very angry and growl nasty grrrrrr's. Errr not calling you a dog Cruss it's just a phrase I heard somewhere.

Bo

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 3254
RE: Proper Place? - 6/7/2013 7:23:49 PM   
warspite1

In response to your post Extraneous I answer as follows:

Bezzy = best. Bezzy mates = best friend

AFAIK I think its a northern English thing - you tend to hear it on programmes based in the north - Manchester and Liverpool and such like.

As for posting threads, there is one major reason I have started little over the years re the actual game. That is because I only played the 5th Edition - and that was coming up to 20 years ago. Therefore what I have to say about rules and about strategy is not worth writing - its a different game now.

As for me being a Beta Tester, I quickly realised that this is not my forte. I am so computer illiterate I was spending more time asking questions on technical stuff - like downloading the new versions and such like - than actually testing the game; not productive for me and certainly not for Steve.

As a result I devoted my spare time instead to the ship and some land unit write ups.

As I have mentioned before, I love the board game - best game I have ever played - but personal circumstance means that MWIF is realistically the only chance I will get to play it again; so I want this game out as much as anyone.

The wait time has been incredibly frustrating for everybody, and the toll on Steve's health is evident for all to see. But everyone is doing their best given the constraints and barriers that real life throws up. There are beta testers, many of whom have been here since I joined back in 2008, continuing to give their time for free. With this as the backdrop, to then have trolls come along and barrack, whine, throw up conspiracy theories and, worst of all, have a go at Steve (the man responsible for getting this game done) really cheeses me off. I will endeavour to simply ignore such people going forward - but its not always easy...

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 3255
RE: Proper Place? - 6/8/2013 1:59:15 AM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

AFAIK I think its a northern English thing - you tend to hear it on programmes based in the north - Manchester and Liverpool and such like.

As for posting threads, there is one major reason I have started little over the years re the actual game. That is because I only played the 5th Edition - and that was coming up to 20 years ago. Therefore what I have to say about rules and about strategy is not worth writing - its a different game now.

As for me being a Beta Tester, I quickly realised that this is not my forte. I am so computer illiterate I was spending more time asking questions on technical stuff - like downloading the new versions and such like - than actually testing the game; not productive for me and certainly not for Steve.

As a result I devoted my spare time instead to the ship and some land unit write ups.

As I have mentioned before, I love the board game - best game I have ever played - but personal circumstance means that MWIF is realistically the only chance I will get to play it again; so I want this game out as much as anyone.

The wait time has been incredibly frustrating for everybody, and the toll on Steve's health is evident for all to see. But everyone is doing their best given the constraints and barriers that real life throws up. There are beta testers, many of whom have been here since I joined back in 2008, continuing to give their time for free. With this as the backdrop, to then have trolls come along and barrack, whine, throw up conspiracy theories and, worst of all, have a go at Steve (the man responsible for getting this game done) really cheeses me off. I will endeavour to simply ignore such people going forward - but its not always easy...

So... you haven't played the game in 20 years? This clarifies things substantially.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3256
RE: Proper Place? - 6/8/2013 10:26:00 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

So... you haven't played the game in 20 years? This clarifies things substantially.

warspite1

May I say how pleased I am to have been able to assist in substantially clarifying things for you.

May I also add some more precise information in the hope that this adds substantially to the clarification of things; it is 16 years and 10 months since I have played WIF 5th Edition.

I trust that this further knowledge re the thing department has clarified said things to an even more substantial level, but please let me know if I can be of any more assistance in providing you with clarification (or at least substantial clarification).

Damn...and I was supposed to be ignoring your mindless drivel

Post #: 3257
RE: Proper Place? - 6/8/2013 8:28:14 PM   
Plainian

Same here. WIF 5th Ed only. I must have bought it some time after 1991 as that is the date on the Rules Booklet. Mostly solo attempts to play the thing. One attempt to play FTF with 2 other players.

So you are not alone.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3258
RE: When? - 6/8/2013 8:31:33 PM   
bo

quote:

Damn...and I was supposed to be ignoring your mindless drivel

Hmmmmmmmm

The difference between crussdaddy and you Warspite is that a good Englishman like you will go down with their ship, and my friend crussdaddy will steal a raft from a child to save himself
Does this have anything to do with your post, of course not, just trying to add a little humor to these humorless posts lately. Whatever happened to RE: When!

Bo

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 3259
RE: When? - 6/14/2013 11:53:44 PM   
marklv

My only hope is that the game will be released before the 10th anniversary of Steve's start on this huge project. Let's cut Steve some slack - he has been ill and is not a young guy any more - and he is also the only one who is developing this game. There are plenty of other games to play in the meantime. Those who check this thread with baited breath for some exciting new update need to get a life. Steve's monthly updates are interesting and informative - let's let the man do his job and wait patiently. I'm giving this project up to 2015 to finish - if it still isn't done by then I will consider it 'vapourware' - but until then I will continue to wait and see.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 3260
RE: When? - 6/15/2013 1:27:16 AM   
ChiChester

I really can't wait for the release of this game.

(in reply to marklv)
Post #: 3261
RE: When? - 7/1/2013 6:56:59 PM   
Edfactor

quote:

ORIGINAL: marklv

My only hope is that the game will be released before the 10th anniversary of Steve's start on this huge project. Let's cut Steve some slack - he has been ill and is not a young guy any more - and he is also the only one who is developing this game. There are plenty of other games to play in the meantime. Those who check this thread with baited breath for some exciting new update need to get a life. Steve's monthly updates are interesting and informative - let's let the man do his job and wait patiently. I'm giving this project up to 2015 to finish - if it still isn't done by then I will consider it 'vapourware' - but until then I will continue to wait and see.

I'm sure the game will be finished someday. The fact is that this is an enormous task for one man, even a healthy one. I however no longer in a hurry for this to come out, in all likelyhood I'll wait and buy it a year or two after it comes out.

(in reply to marklv)
Post #: 3262
RE: When? - 7/2/2013 8:17:58 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

July 1, 2013 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of June 2013

Hardware and Software
The open items for Theme Engine remain the same: minimizing the game generates a Mad Except error, trying to display detailed listings of file directories (i.e., the dates and stuff) when opening or saving a file does the same, and “rolling up a form” does too (the last occurs sporadically under Windows XP). Rolling up a form minimizes the form to the size of the form’s top bar.

Beta Testing
In June I released 5 new versions to the beta testers: 10.04.03 (10 fixes), 10.04.04 (14 fixes), 10.04.05 (31 fixes), 10.04.06 (13 fixes), and 10.05.00 (10 fixes). The number of new versions is close to my overall norm. But the fixes (78) are well below my average for last year (116). Something in the 70's appears to be my new average.

Below is the summary of my Master Task List (MTL) as of July 1st. My task list count stands at 93, up from 80 at the start of the month. I remain more concerned about NetPlay than the other bugs.

The latter jumped back up to 84 (from last month’s count of 63) but I am waiting on saved games from the beta testers for a half dozen of the new bugs. Usually, once I get a saved game I can fix the problem in 30 minutes or less. I proved this again to myself by fixing 15 of them in a day and a half last week. I get upset when the count goes over 100 and I knock off a bunch of easy ones to bring the total back down. The easy ones are scattered throughout the sequence of play and occur under very unusual circumstances. Given a saved game for the weird situation, I’m able to fix these without too much effort. As one example from many I could provide: the USSR declaring war on Italy while a neutrality pact with Germany exists, forces a Bulgarian (Bulgaria aligned to Italy) unit in Poland and an Italian unit in Turkey (Turkey aligned to Germany) to both relocate more than 3 hexes from the USSR. That’s a digression that takes place in the middle of implementing all the DOWs by the Allies during the impulse.

The beta testers also provided an influx of bug reports for supply in June. Although I have saved games for virtually all of these, I’ve haven’t given them much of my attention. They mostly have to do with not updating supply when circumstances on the map change. I fixed a half dozen of them. For the remainder, saving and restoring a game lets the beta testers get the supply status for all the units corrected. Therefore, there’s no immediate hurry for me fix the supply bugs. I’ll spend a day sometime this week on them and that should resolve nearly all of them. By the way, many of them are duplicates.

None of the other bugs in the sequence of play and non-sequence of play is of much concern to me.

Graham has been helping me prioritize the order in which I fix bugs. He has also been identifying for which ones I need saved games. There seem to be a lot of high priority items!

NetPlay [9] {1594, 1859}, 1785, 1826, 1827, {1913, 1914}, 1932, 1933, 1935, 1936

Sequence of Play [65]
Supply [14]: 1070, 1956, 1997, 1998, 2025, 2030, 1999, 2004, 2027, 1982, 1988, 2033, 2038, 2041
Setup Phases [1]: 1900
Reinforcements [1]: 2046
DOW [1]: 2021
Air Missions [4]: 1611, 1890, 1925, 1996
Naval Movement [1]: 1990
Naval Combat [11]: {874, 1531}, 1566, 1599, 1701, 1724, 1815, 1847, 1868, 1869, 1872, 1899
Land Combat Declaration [1]: 1995
Reorganization [3]: 1855, 1856, 1896
Use Oil [1]: 2042
Production Planning [15]: 1107, {847, 961, 1347}, 326, 1644, 1671, 1825, 1862, 1863, 1864, 1893, 1895, 1973, 2006, 2014, 2020
Search Seizure [1]: 409
Reform Units [1]: 1851
Vichy [4]: 1803, 1811, 2017, 2028
Surrender [1]: 2009
Liberation [3]: 891, 1919, 1980
Overstacked Digression [1]: 1931
Final Reorganization [1]: 1733

Non-sequence of Play [19]
Detailed Map [6]: 1188, 142, 769,140, 1501, 2036
Player Interface [3]: 1901, 1920, 1922
Interactive Tutorial [1]: 2043
Game Save/Restore [6]: 695, 517, 110, 118, 1778, 1907
Theme Engine [3]: {1050, 568}, {1513, 1467, 966, 1455, 1573, 1655}, 1928

Saved Games
Done, except for 6 bugs.

Map, Units, and Scenarios
As I get additional unit writeups I add them to the collection. Adam sent me a group in June.

Optional Rules
Nothing new.

Game Engine
I’m not doing anything special for the game engine code. I’m just fixing bugs as they are found by the beta testers.

Player Interface
This is done except for 6 bugs related to maintaining the beauty of the Detailed Map and 3 concerning different monitor configurations.

Internet - NetPlay
I spent most of June on NetPlay. Many of my corrections do not show up on my task list as bug fixes. For instance, I’ve been working on Port Attacks since March, slowly making progress through all the subphases. That bug is still listed as one item on my task list, although I have corrected a dozen or more problems with the code so it will support NetPlay. Like many of the NetPlay problems, once I get it running right for NetPlay, the beta testers find new problems with solitaire play and I have to go back and slice the conditional logic a little thinner. I ran into this with the automatic declarations of war just a couple of days ago.

As for Port Attacks, the following subphases seem ok: Combat Air Patrol, Attacker flies bombers with escorts, Defender flies interceptors, Attacker flies interceptors, Inclusion of submarines, Search rolls, Surprise points calculation, Surprise points usage (there are several places in the sequence of play where this is possible), Plotting antiaircraft fire by divisional AA units, Antiaircraft fire resolution, and Port attack on naval units (partially). I’m pretty sure that return to base will work once I get that far since those routines work correctly for other air missions. What I still need to debug is air-to-air combat and naval combat results. I’m ignoring the former for the moment and focusing on getting the two sides to alternate choosing which unit is affected by the destroy/damage/abort results. For port attacks, and naval air combat in general, the attacker chooses the first unit to suffer a result and then the defender decides the second. They alternate thereafter. Surprise points can also be used to change that order. I’ve got the results of the first unit correctly determined, reported to the other player, and displayed on both computers. But when it comes to the second unit, the second player’s combat form is not enabled for him to make his decision. Each one of these subphases takes a lot of patience to get running perfectly.

I’ve gotten through some of the naval movement interception code so it works for NetPlay. However, there are a lot of logic branches depending on what the players decide and the die rolls. Because these are handled as digressions from the normal sequence of play, the logic is quite complex. For instance, naval units can be forced to move during the land movement phase (due to overruns), during the conquest phase, and during aborts from naval combats. The main phases for moving naval units are the naval movement and return to base phases. All of these different phases have their own set of rules as to what is and is not permitted. I’ve got the code functioning well enough now that I can let the beta testers tell me what isn’t working with moving naval units in NetPlay.

I also spent several days working on naval combat. Naval combat has more subphases than any other phase of the game: 28. Yesterday I discovered a bug in choosing the type of naval combat (i.e., naval air, surface, or submarine). When one side declines to make the combat a naval air combat, the other side oftentimes gets to choose naval air. Right now, the second side is not getting that opportunity. The way debugging NetPlay goes, is that I test each of the main logic branches to see if the decision making is given to the right major power (or side) and that the forms and map update on both computers as the program works its way through the sequence of play. This is quite tedious. I have to take detailed notes when debugging NetPlay and do frequent saves on both computers.

Without the notes I can easily forget precisely what happened. Only by knowing what was being displayed on both computers and what actions were taken by each player can I determine where the program was in the code and thereby locate and fix any bugs. The saved games are crucial because it can take a lot of effort to get both computers back to the exact point where a failure occurred. So the cycle is:

1 - encounter a problem,
2 - record what happened and when,
3 - go back to a previously saved game,
4 - get to the point before the problem occurred and save the game,
5 - recreate the problem, this time taking good notes,
6 - read through the code to locate where the bug was generated and put in some diagnostics
7 - restore the saved game before the bug
8 - recreate the bug and interpret the diagnostics
9 - fix the bug
10 - restore the game before the bug
11 - advance the game to make sure the fixes work and the game advances farther in the sequence of play
12 - encounter a new problem ...

For non-NetPlay bugs the cycle is pretty much the same but since only one computer is running, most of the work is cut in half. I also have over 3000 non-NetPlay saved games so I can recreate most normal game situations for all 60 phases and most of the 80+ subphases. But for NetPlay I have less than 100 saved games (they have to be identical on both computers). I’m building up my collection, but it is less than 3% of what I have for non-NetPlay games.

PBEM
Nothing new.

Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Nothing new.

Player’s Manual and Rules as Coded (RAC)
I spent some time working with the woman doing Final Layout for RAC and the Players Manual. She’s making progress on the PM and was up page 168 the last time she sent me a draft for proofreading. I requested that I get the documents piecemeal rather than have them all arrive in one huge mass to be proofread ASAP! I think you’ll like the result. Most likely I’ll post a few sample pages in July, but I won’t do that until she tells me the PDFs are final and on their way to the printer.

Tutorials and Training Videos
The Tutorials are done. There was one bug reported for one of the interactive tutorials; I’m waiting on instructions on how to recreate that since the tests I ran executed without any trouble. Nothing new on completing the training videos.

Historical Video, Music, and Sound Effects
Nothing new.

Web Site
Nothing new.

Marketing
Nothing new.

Steve

(in reply to Edfactor)
Post #: 3263
RE: When? - 7/2/2013 4:07:51 PM   
CrusssDaddy

Do you guys know that sometimes drownings occur when a lifeguard or spectators are directly watching the victim? An experienced swimmer can be assailed by exhaustion, illness, adverse conditions or any of a host of factors that threaten to overcome; they may appear to be in only minor difficulty and acting in a manner to successfully alleviate their distress. But then they simply sink to the bottom unseen because they have not clamored for help and the lifeguard is distracted elsewhere, and only minutes or hours later is the body noted at the bottom of the pool or an absence commented upon.

This is a lot like that.

Post #: 3264
RE: When? - 7/2/2013 6:44:06 PM   
Peeking Duck?

quote:

... when a lifeguard or spectators are directly watching the victim?

quote:

and the lifeguard is distracted elsewhere...

This is a lot like that.

Post #: 3265
RE: When? - 7/2/2013 7:13:42 PM   
warspite1

Have you guys ever watched a film where people, for example around a boardroom table, or in a government chamber, or some other important forum are discussing matters earnestly, each person adding their own intelligent view of the subject in hand....then, suddenly, from nowhere, some total moron strikes up with some old nonsense that leaves the room flat, closely followed by straw rolling across the room and a bell ringing in the background?

Oh hi CrusssDaddy - no really, great comment - and so unexpected

Post #: 3266
RE: Proper Place? - 7/2/2013 8:25:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

I know, the utter collapse of the active posting community is the obvious clue that "thousands" of readers is an absurd assertion -- finally we agree on something!

warspite1

You do know that not everyone that visits posts yeah? You are confusing posts with hits. But I'm not going to get into an argument over something you already know - but do not want to admit because it doesn't suit your purpose.

Right know there have been 536,964 hits to the when thread, and 33,973 to the Monthly Reports thread. Lets see where we are this time next month i.e. one day after Steve's July post.
warspite1

I have been generous to you CrusssDaddy - I have given Steve one day less. So how many hits then?

Er 542,297 and 35,044.
Less last month 536,964 and 33,973

So that's a total of 6,404 hits. Wow, maybe you are right and there are just a few hundred people coming to the sight 20 or more times a month... or maybe, just maybe, you are talking nonsense again. Mmmm I wonder.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3267
RE: Proper Place? - 7/2/2013 9:06:26 PM   
CrusssDaddy

Ah it's Warspite, and he's brought his curtains to peer out at me from behind!

Listen, we all know hits do not equal visitors. Perhaps we can use deductive reasoning to better estimate the number of visitors. I check in everyday at least once and in fact today I've logged three hits already. So let's say I'm responsible for 40 hits per month. Can you estimate how many hits you log? Steve, how many hits/month are you good for? Certainly a great deal, I imagine. Bo might log 1000+ hits by himself. But no, you're probably right... the tally of visitors must be in the thousands.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3268
RE: Proper Place? - 7/2/2013 9:08:21 PM   
CrusssDaddy

I forgot to append my post

Post #: 3269
RE: Proper Place? - 7/2/2013 9:13:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Ah it's Warspite, and he's brought his curtains to peer out at me from behind!

Listen, we all know hits do not equal visitors. Perhaps we can use deductive reasoning to better estimate the number of visitors. I check in everyday at least once and in fact today I've logged three hits already. So let's say I'm responsible for 40 hits per month. Can you estimate how many hits you log? Steve, how many hits/month are you good for? Certainly a great deal, I imagine. Bo might log 1000+ hits by himself. But no, you're probably right... the tally of visitors must be in the thousands.
warspite1

Sad..sad...sad...

So all you do is barrack from the safety of your keyboard, bitch like a stuck pig, winge and moan like a girl about the game and the graphics, slag Steve and the beta testers off and tell anyone that listens (no one btw) that this game will never happen AND YET - you are responsible for 40 hits per month (btw it was 15-20 you said last month). Have you really got nothing better to do with your life? Do you not understand how sad that makes you? I really think you need to get a life.

Post #: 3270
Page:   <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  107 108 [109] 110 111   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI