Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Surendering to Aircraft

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Surendering to Aircraft Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Surendering to Aircraft - 2/17/2001 10:08:00 PM   
halstein

Hi. I was playing a generated battle(43 Ger vs USSR), and was attacked by a Pe-2. It tried to take out one of my Tigers. In a hex next to the Tiger, I had a inf sqaud. The Pe-2 was in the same hex as my inf-squad. This squad got hit hard and surrendered. Is this supposed to happen? I mean, how do one surrender to a aircraft? Halstein.

Halstein
Post #: 1
- 2/17/2001 10:12:00 PM   
lnp4668

Sounds like the Iraqi surrender to the helicopters during Desert Storm |-) Seriously, never seens that except if there is another enemy unit next to the surrender troop.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to halstein)
Post #: 2
- 2/17/2001 11:37:00 PM   
Charles22

I've seen a lot of it. If the unit is in the same hex as the aircraft is flying over, this can occur.

(in reply to halstein)
Post #: 3
- 2/18/2001 2:46:00 AM   
halstein

The only unit next to my surendering unit, was the Tiger. Probably a particularity of the game-engine. ------------------ Halstein

Halstein

(in reply to halstein)
Post #: 4
- 2/18/2001 5:49:00 AM   
skukko

Halstein: It is sovjets secret weapon, warptechnology based. I don't understand how it works, but its range is hex below and one beside mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to halstein)
Post #: 5
- 2/18/2001 8:44:00 AM   
CaptainBrian

quote:

Originally posted by lnp4668: Sounds like the Iraqi surrender to the helicopters during Desert Storm |-).
Worse than above...some of Iraq's finest surrendered to a UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) LOL !!!!

CaptainBrian

(in reply to halstein)
Post #: 6
- 2/18/2001 9:34:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by halstein: Hi. I was playing a generated battle(43 Ger vs USSR), and was attacked by a Pe-2. It tried to take out one of my Tigers. In a hex next to the Tiger, I had a inf sqaud. The Pe-2 was in the same hex as my inf-squad. This squad got hit hard and surrendered. Is this supposed to happen? I mean, how do one surrender to a aircraft? Halstein.
This is not unusual, and it has been pointed out before. It works something like this: When an infantry type unit reaches a certain point of suppression and loss, (heavy damage) an algorithm checks to see if there is an adjacent enemy unit. If there is, then a decision is made based on a number of things such as morale, whether or not this damaged unit might be inclined to surrender. If it is determined that it does, the unit disappears and is presumed lost into captivity. During an air attack involving an infantry type target, something similar can happen. The aircraft, in this case, satisfies the program requirement for an adjacent enemy unit, and the algorithm, being a dumb mathematical probability engine, is not sophisticated enough to understand that it might be awkward for the aircrew to lead away prisoners. Its a minor code bug, and someday it might be corrected to avoid surrender where an aircraft is the only adjacent enemy unit. Ignore the message and simply assume the unit was destroyed. ------------------ Greg. 37 mill AA... can suddenly ruin your day.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to halstein)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Surendering to Aircraft Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI