Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Optimising SoW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Gettysburg Series >> Optimising SoW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Optimising SoW - 6/16/2013 7:11:05 PM   
Redmarkus5

Here is a short list of the things I had to discover for myself in order to get SoW up and running on a new PC and looking good. Why there isn't a sticky listing these key things is beyond my understanding as it took me the best part of 48 hours to find all the threads and posts across three websites.

1. If you have the original NorbSoft base game you need to replace it with the Matrix version before installing the Matrix add-ons. You can get the Matrix version free by registering your game in the Members Club using the NorbSoft licence code. The Matrix version is already at 1.50 so you will only need to add the 1.6 patch after you install the expansions (at the time of writing).

2. Edit your sowgb config file (here: C:\Matrix Games\Scourge of War - Gettysburg\Work) so that the Initialisation section reads (delete the words in brackets):

[Initialization]
Full Screen=(don't edit this)
Screen Res=(don't edit this)
AntiA=2
Anso=2
mipmaps=5 (where 5 is highest setting for unit graphics and 1 is lowest, 0 is default)

You might need to try variations of those settings.

3. Now optimise your graphics card settings. See this Post: http://forums.sowmp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=305

4. Then go to http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/home/download and download then install the GCM Mod. (Jeez guys, this should be a huge part of the game - just do a deal with Garnier and PLEASE add a campaign layer with the next release. It's essential for re-playability in single player mode, IMHO).

Using these four techniques I now have a really good SoW experience going on, but I had to persevere and search the web to get there. Devs are missing several tricks, I think.

< Message edited by Little Powell -- 6/20/2013 12:40:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Optimising SoW - Please Sticky - 6/17/2013 2:28:12 AM   
Redmarkus5

GCM provides some opportunities for classic but unscripted battles with total FoW...

Attachment (1)

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 2
RE: Optimising SoW - Please Sticky - 6/20/2013 12:40:49 PM   
LittlePowell_NSD

Great information redmark, thanks for posting.

NSD Map/Scenario Lead

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 3
RE: Optimising SoW - Please Sticky - 6/20/2013 6:22:46 PM   
Redmarkus5

And thanks for making this 'sticky'!

Boy, I really do have to eat my words with respect to this game. It's been on my hard drive since the day it released and I played it for a while before moving on, occasionally dipping back in. I owned all the earlier incarnations as well because I am very interested in the Civil War.

Now that I have FINALLY put in the energy to optimize the game, I see what I had been missing. The GCM mod is class as well and you can get some real surprises from the AI - each battle is unique and presents you with different challenges and varied odds.

I just sent the Rebs packing in my last fight, but the one before saw the AI sweep me from the field like so much trash!

I'm really looking forward to the 1.6 conga line fix, which is now my only issue with this excellent title.

Attachment (1)

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to LittlePowell_NSD)
Post #: 4
RE: Optimising SoW - Please Sticky - 6/15/2016 6:42:05 AM   
zakblood

works well in windows 10

thanks for the tips on how to setup the game settings

link to

quote:

3. Now optimise your graphics card settings. See this Post: http://forums.sowmp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=305

no longer working mind you, or didn't when i tried it

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 6/15/2016 6:45:55 AM >

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 5
RE: Optimising SoW - Please Sticky - 11/23/2016 12:21:05 PM   
elmo3

Thinking of picking this up on sale. Did the conga line issue get fixed?

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: Optimising SoW - Please Sticky - 6/27/2018 1:26:19 AM   
BigDuke66

As the links to www.sowmp.com are dead, how are the graphic card settings optimized?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Gettysburg Series >> Optimising SoW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI