Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Getting Around to this Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Getting Around to this Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting Around to this Game - 6/19/2013 4:01:25 PM   
roth

I have the basic game and all the expansions so far, including Shadows. For some reason I've never actually gotten around to playing it.

When the game first came out I followed the discussions and read about all the things that its fans found annoying, cumbersome or unnecessarily complicated. It appears that many of these have been corrected or streamlined in subsequent updates and expansions.

So my question is: If I now start to get involved in the game, how should I go about it to get the best experience? ie -- with what expansion(s) and settings? I'd prefer to be able to keep focused on the big picture and then, as I learn the game better, de-automate features that I discover I want to control in detail. I can't say that I'm particularly interested in being preoccupied with fending off space monsters or hordes of pirates unless players have come to feel that these are essential to the game experience or that they provide necessary stepping-stones to further expansion. Similarly, if there are details that ought to be trivial at an empire level (eg., I seem to remember complaints about the difficulty of keeping ships from running out of fuel), I'd prefer to start with a later expansion where this has been addressed.

Appreciate any help.
Post #: 1
RE: Getting Around to this Game - 6/19/2013 4:09:02 PM   
AstroCat

I started with this and then branched out. I found it helpful.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3333889

(in reply to roth)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting Around to this Game - 6/19/2013 4:09:52 PM   
roth

Terrific -- Thanks

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting Around to this Game - 6/21/2013 12:48:50 PM   
Icemania

Once you get going, there are some great posts around the forum with tips, such as:

Guide to Guides
Easy Way to Always Win

(in reply to roth)
Post #: 4
RE: Getting Around to this Game - 6/21/2013 1:06:42 PM   
FerretStyle

I didn't really start enjoying the game until I went Expert (full manual). I would highly suggest it, as it makes you learn all of the game mechanics very quickly.

After that you can make more educated decisions about what you prefer to automate or not.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 5
RE: Getting Around to this Game - 6/21/2013 6:24:59 PM   
DasTactic

quote:

ORIGINAL: roth

...I'd prefer to be able to keep focused on the big picture and then, as I learn the game better, de-automate features that I discover I want to control in detail. I can't say that I'm particularly interested in being preoccupied with fending off space monsters or hordes of pirates unless players have come to feel that these are essential to the game experience or that they provide necessary stepping-stones to further expansion. Similarly, if there are details that ought to be trivial at an empire level (eg., I seem to remember complaints about the difficulty of keeping ships from running out of fuel), I'd prefer to start with a later expansion where this has been addressed.

Appreciate any help.

In one sense you've largely answered your own question. I'd start with the defaults which has a fairly high degree of automation already turned on. DW is not a click-fest so it is often best to consider yourself the watcher of a movie that unfold in front of yourself. As such you can decide when and how you want to intervene. For example, you may just let the game play itself until one of your explorer ships find a powerful ship. At that point you may decide to just control that ship and let the rest of the game look after itself. It really is up to you how and what you decide to step in. :)

Pick a race that suits your interests though.

(in reply to roth)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Getting Around to this Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI