Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/19/2013 4:28:02 AM   
elitesix

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if two empires have no treaty, their ships do not automatically fire upon on another, right?

However, if I'm not mistaken, I just tested out setting my pirate ships to basically sit there in an unclaimed system near an independent planet, yet another empire that was +0 in relationship comes in and starts firing first at my pirate ships?

Working as intended? Are all empires, be default, at war status with all pirates even if the pirates did not do anything to upset that empire?

Is the iffy protection treaty the only way to maintain a non-war status between empire and pirates? (I say iffy because I don't think we know the mechanics and it seems that once an empire is out, its very difficult because of all the automatic attacks each side does upon on another).

I'm trying to setup a smuggling pirate empire, one that doesn't fight unless it has to, but within the first week before I've done anything (no firing, no raiding, no smuggling), it seems that empires that don't have protection treaties with me blow me up in uninhabited systems?

elitesix
Post #: 1
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/19/2013 4:57:41 AM   
MarQan

Colonial Empires do not attack eachother without declaring war; however it's Pirate season until you've got a deal.

Playing with a Pirate Faction you're in "war" with everyone at the beginning, though others do not particularly want to destroy you (as it is with 2 Empires in war).

(in reply to elitesix)
Post #: 2
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/19/2013 1:42:35 PM   
elanaagain

Also note that as an empire, even if you have 'protection' treaty currently in force with a pirate gang, they will 'raid' your colonies, and continue to attempt to control your colonies. As near as i can tell. by observation, a protection treaty means the pirate thugs won't attack your ships and bases. Struggling to get control of colonies, even yours with a protection treaty, is not something pirates ever agree to do.

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to MarQan)
Post #: 3
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/19/2013 3:49:53 PM   
elitesix

Is there a guide on how to keep a protection treaty going?

Empires seem to break them for no reason. I've also never gotten a positive bonus from empires for having long protection treaties (only from pirates). Working as intended?

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 4
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/19/2013 3:59:06 PM   
Ob1ivion

They're not going to get happy from you forcing them to pay you protection money...

(in reply to elitesix)
Post #: 5
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/19/2013 4:45:13 PM   
elitesix

Shame.

Perhaps a philosophy of exploring incentivizing antagonistic empire-pirate interactions would be better suited by focusing on competition of resources rather than a brute force always on state of war between the types of empire -

Giving pirate empires much more fleshed out diplomacy would go a long way toward adding great depth to pirate empires.

< Message edited by elitesix -- 6/19/2013 4:46:23 PM >

(in reply to Ob1ivion)
Post #: 6
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/19/2013 5:29:40 PM   
elanaagain

@elitesix I agree w you, wholeheartedly. I was actually thinking that a mod of this would be playing the game as a 'legitimate' (legal..lol) business. Make money buying and selling resources, having storage warehouses on various sites, owning /leasing mines, merchant ships, and maybe a few 'security' forces.

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to elitesix)
Post #: 7
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/20/2013 12:07:30 AM   
MarQan

Would be a great scenario! Moving resources for pre-warp empires... constantly sabotaging their research towards HyperDrive technologies. Slowly getting rid of competition.
Shakturi would only come to give you a BroFist, then head to the next galaxy.

Btw nobody is forcing protection money.. it's just a generous offer

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 8
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/20/2013 3:06:12 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarQan

Colonial Empires do not attack eachother without declaring war; however it's Pirate season until you've got a deal.

Playing with a Pirate Faction you're in "war" with everyone at the beginning, though others do not particularly want to destroy you (as it is with 2 Empires in war).

Not 100% true. Colonial empires will attack each other's ships and bases without a treaty if relations are bad enough. However, they won't try to invade a planet without declaring war first.

If you get a diplomatic message warning you to remove military ships from their territory, you'd better do it or those ships will get attacked.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to MarQan)
Post #: 9
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/20/2013 5:19:21 AM   
MarQan

Thanks for the clarification, I never experienced those situations.
Seems like I have some more playing to do

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/20/2013 5:56:08 AM   
Ob1ivion

Love it when they blockade a planet and you warn them and they're just like, "We have no idea what you're talking about." Well okay then, guess you won't miss this fleet then.

(in reply to MarQan)
Post #: 11
RE: Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties - 6/20/2013 7:05:56 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ob1ivion

Love it when they blockade a planet and you warn them and they're just like, "We have no idea what you're talking about." Well okay then, guess you won't miss this fleet then.

You actually warn them first? I don't.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Ob1ivion)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Interactions between Pirates and Empires w/o treaties Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI