Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: The end of the human race

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: The end of the human race Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 8/25/2012 8:14:09 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

No.. that will not be the end.. We will be eliminated as an obstruction to the Pan-Galactic Super Highway.

Thanks for nothing. I laughed while reading this in bed and got a stern look from the Missus.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 8/25/2012 10:49:37 AM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grunt

Borg-like humans will first appear in the Tour de France.

This subject was explored in a frightening TimeWatch documentary from several years ago entitled 'The Cyborg Cometh'

A truly frightening ( possible ) evolutionary path for humans.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Grunt)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 8/25/2012 11:04:49 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lcp Purcell

Extreme Weather Linked to Global Warming, Nobel Prize-Winning Scientist Says

(You are not allowed to post links for 7 days from the date of your tenth post.) !??!???!

The funny thing is because global warming has been allowed to advance unchecked everyone will be calling for a one world government in 10-20 years. Is this a sad coincidence or an evil plot, well your guess is as good as mine.

Most Brits I know don't want to be governed from Europe, being governed by a world government has got no chance.

< Message edited by Chris H -- 8/25/2012 11:05:33 AM >

(in reply to Lcp Purcell)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 10:14:38 AM   
DHRedge

I could explain much of that, seen many of those doctrines, I didn't watch the videos, but I have heard and even posted about many errors in those doctrines.

The issue is I need money
And if they could control me, they would not have created situations that make acquisitions of material resources more difficult to attempt to limit people that do not 'do what they are told'. It is material issues that are mostly used to try and control people in society. Then they discuss the other issues so you don't discuss economic situations.

There is a difference from being controlled,
and doing everything you are told to do.

The thing is, if they can get you to think you are controlled, you will do what someone else says you have to do.

99% of controlling someone is to get them to think they are controlled. There are also some doctrines that say people can effect the world they are in, and if you think you can be controlled, then that would be the effects you would create.

It is also possible some people are controlled, and some might even like that way of living, that is a free will choice also.

Although...
"I have seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion,
I have seen sea beams glitter in the darkness off of ten house of gait" - Blade Runner

So there is always that to think on.

< Message edited by DHRedge -- 6/20/2013 10:17:10 AM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 10:37:14 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Don't worry, be happy
if this guy's predictions are true,

http://www.livescience.com/1951-forecast-sex-marriage-robots-2050.html

by 2050 we will all (or those that are still kicking around), be happily married or in a "relationship" with a tailored-made Romba/ nurse/ companion/sex-robots

I am looking forward to my golden years

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 1:30:03 PM   
czert2

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

This has been a common Science Fiction theme for 50 years. The book/movie 2001 were written in 1968 and had a self aware computer. Despite dramatic advances in computing beyond even what Stanley Kubric and Arther Clarke saw back then, we do not have self aware computers 11 years after the date of that movie.

Bill

Well my PC sometimes doing stange things, sometimes it work, sometimes not, sometimes i think pc simply doesnt like me.

2shellshock :
For end of human race - yes it will come and will be caused by humans. And yes, it will be due to overpopulation, but not by nummer of ppl itself, but by war which will start from need keep resources for own population.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 1:36:41 PM   
czert2

quote:

(You are not allowed to post links for 7 days from the date of your tenth post.) !??!???!

The funny thing is because global warming has been allowed to advance unchecked everyone will be calling for a one world government in 10-20 years. Is this a sad coincidence or an evil plot, well your guess is as good as mine.

1. global warming caused by human is one of biggest BS in this century.
2. calling for one global goverment is done only by these which are directly intered in creating it for own profit.

Post #: 37
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 1:41:24 PM   
czert2

quote:

The USA no longer leads in green house gas emissions, so to address the problem it will take a one world government. ( which of course is a dreadful idea)

wow, we dont like your goverment ways, we will thown you down and setup goverment to your liking. Wow, very nice idea.
Wait, but this is what US do to est of world post 2001. Who will put down goverment of US down ?

Post #: 38
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 1:48:24 PM   
czert2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

quote:

Most Brits I know don't want to be governed from Europe, being governed by a world government has got no chance.

Yeah, Brits will only like one world ruler only if all will drive on left side and goverment will be monarchy.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 1:54:16 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

They better let us keep playing AE!

Yeah, but the AI will regularly kick our asses.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 3:14:34 PM   
Nemo121

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned some of the more likely causes of apocalypse.... while over-prescribing of antibiotics won't end the race it'll mean people die from routine surgery once again... The real danger though is a fragile, rapidly mutating airborne virus a la "swine flu" or marburg. We've been lucky so far in that when Ebola went airborne it was a simian strain with really low infectivity for humans and very mild symptoms.... if a human strain of Ebola became airborne or swine flu variant became more lethal then we'd have a society-ending event ( some would live, obviously for many of the same reasons that a tiny % of the human population is "immune" to HIV ) but you could be looking at 95 to 99%+ death rates IF you had the right mix of latency, infectivity and lethality--- IOW all 3 of the factors which make something a Biosafety Level 4 hazard ( most of the diseases which are BSL 4 meet just one, maybe 2 of the criteria ). To put this into perspective HIV is BSL 2 since it really doesn't have the potential to destroy the world --- just the fabric of certain societies.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 3:52:22 PM   
Numdydar

So something along these lines is what you are refering to is it ?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plague-inc./id525818839?mt=8

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 4:26:21 PM   
Nemo121

Yes, that game is a very interesting piece of edutainment. Personally I think they should use that to teach infectious diseases and epidemiology to medical undergraduates.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 43
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 4:39:54 PM   
Canoerebel

Somewhere on a book shelf in my house is a book titled, 88 Reasons the Rapture will Occur in 1988.

On another shelf is a book by the same author, written the next year, that he had made a mistake and that the rapture would occur in 1989.

I don't know what that author is doing these days.

Also on my dusty shelves are some NewsGroup magazines from the mid 1970s confirming that we were entering a new ice age.

Also, I have from 2003 a copy of NewsGroup and a copy of Time predicting that the US armed forces were going to get chewed alive by the Iraqui army as they drew closer to Bagdad. Just after those issues arrived in the mail, I was reading them in the cab of my pickup truck, listening on the radio to news that the US forces had rolled into Bagdad and the city had fallen. (This isn't to say anything about the long and trying period to follow.)

NewsGroup no longer offers a print edition. Time is now a pamphlet-sized publication that specializes in ranking colleges and hospitals and propaganda.

Meanwhile, reality is very different from apocalyptic predictions. Mayan calendar, meteor, asteroid, war, disease, global warming, overpopulation, polution, death, the end!

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 4:52:51 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Somewhere on a book shelf in my house is a book titled, 88 Reasons the Rapture will Occur in 1988.

On another shelf is a book by the same author, written the next year, that he had made a mistake and that the rapture would occur in 1989.

Also on my dusty shelves are some NewsGroup magazines from the mid 1970s confirming that we were entering a new ice age.

Also, I have from 2003 a copy of NewsGroup and a copy of Time predicting that the US armed forces were going to get chewed alive by the Iraqui army as they drew closer to Bagdad. Just after those issues arrived in the mail, I was reading them in the cab of my pickup truck, listening on the radio to news that the US forces had rolled into Bagdad and the city had fallen. (This isn't to say anything about the long and trying period to follow.)

NewsGroup no longer offers a print edition. Time is now a pamphlet-sized publication that specializes in ranking colleges and hospitals and propaganda.

Meanwhile, reality is very different from apocalyptic predictions. Mayan calendar, meteor, asteroid, war, disease, global warming, overpopulation, polution, death, the end!

Wasn't that Harold Camping? ;)

RE: the whole end of the human race thing - life in this universe is fragile. It can end at any time for any number of reasons. The universe is a dangerous place.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's always been this dangerous, and always will be. Just because somebody says something or an article comes out now, doesn't mean that it's any different now than it always has been. Culture war issues perhaps notwithstanding...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 45
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 5:08:42 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Doomsday scenarios are part of that negative bias. We have this niggling feeling that if things are going OK, they must be a sabre toothed tiger around here somewhere and we're its next meal. Because sabre toothed tigers are extinct (and we're not!), we scare ourselves with the dangers that could conceivably happen.

Bill

Yeahbut, yeahbut . . .

Today I read about MERS (scary stuff) on the SAME DAY (!!!!) "World War Z" debuts in theaters. Coincidence? I think not.

The Moose

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 5:11:05 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned some of the more likely causes of apocalypse.... while over-prescribing of antibiotics won't end the race it'll mean people die from routine surgery once again... The real danger though is a fragile, rapidly mutating airborne virus a la "swine flu" or marburg. We've been lucky so far in that when Ebola went airborne it was a simian strain with really low infectivity for humans and very mild symptoms.... if a human strain of Ebola became airborne or swine flu variant became more lethal then we'd have a society-ending event ( some would live, obviously for many of the same reasons that a tiny % of the human population is "immune" to HIV ) but you could be looking at 95 to 99%+ death rates IF you had the right mix of latency, infectivity and lethality--- IOW all 3 of the factors which make something a Biosafety Level 4 hazard ( most of the diseases which are BSL 4 meet just one, maybe 2 of the criteria ). To put this into perspective HIV is BSL 2 since it really doesn't have the potential to destroy the world --- just the fabric of certain societies.

Like I said, MERS. It's coming!!!!

The Moose

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 5:12:11 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Enjoying spending your money?

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 48
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 5:48:42 PM   
Canoerebel

I didn't buy those books. I acquired them from a class somewhere and then kept them to use as examples of "apocalyptic fever" when I teach, from time to time.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 49
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 5:55:15 PM   
John 3rd

I, personally, subscribe to King's scenario in 'The Stand.'

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I FEEL fine."

"Don't fear the Reaper!" BOC

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 50
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/20/2013 6:01:29 PM   
Lecivius

It's a mathematical certainty that mankind as a society will fail. The only variable is technology.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 51
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 12:26:19 AM   
Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

That was a great book, I remember reading it years ago (shortly out of college). It was late one night, there was a storm out, I was listening to the radio and it cut out, so my little apartment became creepy-quiet. Next thing I knew, I coughed, and I sat up with a start "Oh my God, now I'm infected!!"

That was a sign of really being drawn into the story! Not really a fan of Steven King or the horror genre, but that one still stands out for me.

Playing/Learning Shadow Empire

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 52
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 1:00:39 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

That was a great book, I remember reading it years ago (shortly out of college). It was late one night, there was a storm out, I was listening to the radio and it cut out, so my little apartment became creepy-quiet. Next thing I knew, I coughed, and I sat up with a start "Oh my God, now I'm infected!!"

That was a sign of really being drawn into the story! Not really a fan of Steven King or the horror genre, but that one still stands out for me.

The Stand is one of my favorite ever. Because of it, I also read Dark Tower. Flagg is one of my favorite villains.

I haven't read much of his other stuff, but his fantasy-horror I quite adore. I'll probably re-read Dark Tower within a year or so. There are rumblings it's going to be produced as a TV show.

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 53
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 1:03:18 AM   
wdolson

quote:

My father said he recalls seeing a guy back in the 1930s when he was a teen claiming the world was about to end. He's seen a lot of predictions of doom come and go since.

Bad things do happen in the world. The game this forum is about is one of the largest human events/disasters in history. (It was a disaster for those directly effected.) But I've found human imagination for what could conceivably happen is usually far more colorful than real events most of the time. Look at all the various disaster movies that have been made. Very few ever happened.

It's possible Yellowstone will explode tomorrow, or California will have a massive earthquake that does a lot of damage (or the New Madrid fault will move flattening St Louis), or, or, or. However, the safe bet is that the world will continue to bumble along like it did today. The news will have a few stories that may be worth note, but in the grand scheme of things, probably not anything that will be remembered in 100 years, nor will the human race go extinct any time soon.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 54
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 1:50:16 AM   
Justus2

Well, if you are really concerned about any of the above in our lifetime (and have some cash), might want to give these people a call:
Kansas Survival Caves

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 55
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 2:01:54 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
Like I said, MERS. It's coming!!!!

A few years ago it was SARS that was going to kill us all.

Not all of the disaster scenarios are profit driven, but some of it is. When I start hearing lots of fear laden stories about some potential disaster, I start looking for who stands to make a buck from it.

Bill

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 56
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 2:16:11 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

My father said he recalls seeing a guy back in the 1930s when he was a teen claiming the world was about to end. He's seen a lot of predictions of doom come and go since.

Bad things do happen in the world. The game this forum is about is one of the largest human events/disasters in history. (It was a disaster for those directly effected.) But I've found human imagination for what could conceivably happen is usually far more colorful than real events most of the time. Look at all the various disaster movies that have been made. Very few ever happened.

It's possible Yellowstone will explode tomorrow, or California will have a massive earthquake that does a lot of damage (or the New Madrid fault will move flattening St Louis), or, or, or. However, the safe bet is that the world will continue to bumble along like it did today. The news will have a few stories that may be worth note, but in the grand scheme of things, probably not anything that will be remembered in 100 years, nor will the human race go extinct any time soon.

Bill

Thanks a lot Bill! I honestly had not heard of the New Madrid fault that you mentioned. As I sit in my hotel room JUST outside St. Louis, preparing to move myself and all my worldly possessions here, and hurriedly look up the referenced disaster. ARG!!!!! I thought I left that crap in Seattle and on Guam!!!! Now I need to worry about tornados AND earthquakes! I'm doomed, doomed I tell you!........

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 57
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 2:26:43 AM   
wdolson

Washington State building codes take into account the possibility of earthquakes. I don't know of any Midwestern state that has earthquake provisions in their building codes.

Fortunately the geologic record shows that the New Madrid fault doesn't move very often. It has major earthquakes about ever 400 years, though there is a report from a missionary in modern day Tennessee who reported a mild earthquake on Dec 25. 1699 that was probably from the New Madrid fault.

bill

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 58
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 2:55:58 AM   
zuluhour

I suspect we have met our end many times....we are good at it.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 59
RE: OT: The end of the human race - 6/21/2013 4:03:25 AM   
Justus2

quote:

Washington State building codes take into account the possibility of earthquakes. I don't know of any Midwestern state that has earthquake provisions in their building codes.

Fortunately the geologic record shows that the New Madrid fault doesn't move very often. It has major earthquakes about ever 400 years, though there is a report from a missionary in modern day Tennessee who reported a mild earthquake on Dec 25. 1699 that was probably from the New Madrid fault.

bill

It doesn't move often, but when it does, it tends to cause a lot of turmoil and travel a long way, due to the different composition of the soil here and lack of mountains/rocky formations. The last major one (actually 3 major ones, 7.5-7.7 each) in 1811-1812 were so strong, they rang church bells in Philadelphia, and were felt in Charleston SC and Boston. Luckily the land was sparsely populated at the time, but it had tremendous affects, changing the course of the Mississippi river (even flowing backwards for a period).

New Madrid 1811-1812

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: The end of the human race Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI