Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Name Quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ship Name Quiz Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 12:56:55 AM   
Symon

So, while we are waiting for the world to end, I was wondering ... the Brits had Ajax and Achillies and I always thought it would be cool to have a "Hero-A" class. These were both from Homer, and contemporaries, so why not follow the trend;

I. who can tell us about (without going to wiki wonderland) 1. Areus, 2. Anchises, 3. Aeneas
II. any other contemporary 'A' heros? (warriors only, Apolon don't cut it)

JWE

[extra credit] who and why were the Dardanians? But if you attended a Public School you are disqualified from answering. This is yet another disadvantage of having to learn Greek in your youth.

< Message edited by Symon -- 6/21/2013 1:18:36 AM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Post #: 1
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 1:52:45 AM   
HexHead

Areus - I dunno

Anchises - a friend of Achilles, I think. A hero guy at least, he was a valued sidekick or something like that.

Aeneas - aha! The principal character of a long epic poem in Latin, by Vergil, basically to buff up Augustus.

Who & Why the Dardanians: they lived in Dardania 'cuz no one else wanted to.

"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 2:59:17 AM   
geofflambert

Ajax a hero? He was a hero if you needed someone to empty your fridge of beer. If you think he was a hero, invite me over; no, wait, I don't really like beer that much. (you might be a redneck if Ajax is your hero)

How about Antigone? No, I guess I'm really on Creon's side.

How about some real people? Aristotle. If you realize your fat ass takes up space in the bath tub, Archimedes might be your hero. How about if you are a morbid narcissist that wishes you had actually done something with your life? Alexander. How about Anaximander? Abraham (Lincoln)?

(in reply to HexHead)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 4:51:42 AM   
DHRedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
How about if you are a morbid narcissist that wishes you had actually done something with your life?

I really like that quote, although in truth, within the systems that were in place a few years ago, what they expected someone to do, to 'do something with ones life' was beyond what should be done.

Although I am not dead yet :)

And Narcissism is required to make it clear of some issues that should be corrected.

(dodging the rock, Loading the Bam Boo Cannon (morbid = Boo!)
although it is narcistic to reply to this post in this context)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 8:34:12 AM   
Houtje

Anchises was Aeneas' father, IIRC. And a whole class of ship could be named after Anax-philosophers: not just Anaximander, but Anaximenes and Anaxagoras as well.
As for warriors with an A, how about Awesomest Maximus? (Just look it up on IMDB )

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 5
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 5:08:56 PM   
dcpollay

The Dardanians were a race of lizards distantly related to the Gorn, but eons ago they made the decision to go vegetarian.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to Houtje)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 5:18:08 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

So, while we are waiting for the world to end, I was wondering ... the Brits had Ajax and Achillies and I always thought it would be cool to have a "Hero-A" class. These were both from Homer, and contemporaries, so why not follow the trend;

I. who can tell us about (without going to wiki wonderland) 1. Areus, 2. Anchises, 3. Aeneas

JWE

[extra credit] who and why were the Dardanians? But if you attended a Public School you are disqualified from answering. This is yet another disadvantage of having to learn Greek in your youth.

Areus was King of Sparta back around 300-200 BCish...he fought Pyrrhus of Epirus occasionally I believe.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 7
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 5:27:10 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

The Dardanians were a race of lizards distantly related to the Gorn, but eons ago they made the decision to go vegetarian.

I suppose you are speaking of that race of carnisaurs who are too slow to catch anything that moves, and therefor dine on such things as tasty humans in persistent vegetative states or passed out from too much partying.

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 8
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 5:30:07 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

JWE

In Greek Mythology, The Dardanians were Trojan allies I think...For reals though, they were a tribe in the Illyria area in ancient Roman times in actuality....

Dardania is where Troy was...books/authors often fudge up and use the Trojan name interchangeably when it shouldn't be..They were allies of the Trojans in mythology. There actually was the Dardanians in Roman times like I mentioned..

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 6/21/2013 5:35:03 PM >

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 9
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 5:31:00 PM   
jeffk3510

I see I am disqualified as I took Greek Mythology and I study that and ancient history.. oh well. It is fascinating stuff if you haven't ever studied it. Going to Greece is a plus too. Amazing stuff.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 10
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 11:31:21 PM   
DHRedge

I have some opinions on Greek Mythology.

First off, Perseus did not kill Medusa, he rescued her and brought her back to testify against the wrong actions of the 'war king' that attacked her. Most of that story is war side propaganda.

The actual story is better seen in many current stories.

As shown in the movie "The Gauntlet"
And shown in the series "Star Blazers", where they go to the sister of War to bring back the Knowledge to save the earth.
And shown in many other movies.

When she was treated wrongly she still continued to teach when confined on an island, so was given the wisdom(snakes in the hair) to be able to explain her position.

"in translation stone means spirit" So turned to stone is not really turned to stone, it is taught by wisdom and given spirit, the better ways of the Athena Temple, and various ideas of Greek democracy, and that women, even beautiful women, are not made to be 'taken by men' as there only purpose.

So when they sent people to destroy her, she continued teaching the Athenian ideas and they joined her, gained spirit, turned to stone.

And when Perseus saw here 'snakes backwards in the mirror' as flowers in the hair not as snakes, they did not harm him, although he already had spirit anyways. So many had seen here 'wisdom as bad' he could see her teachings as good thoughtful ideas.

The snakes in the hair, were not a punishment but a gift, a gift of wisdom, the idea of crown of thorns, where in life if you have wisdom many will make things hard for you. And Perseus could see that and brought her back to testify against the war king, then return to her temple safety.

And that is why Medusa is the Statue of Liberty, since she was one of the first to go against edicts by monarchy. (note the requirement of soldiers being lodged in any colonial house was a primary reason for Independence movement, since many women were treated wrongly when that was happening, and a reason for Medusa to get involved in the American Revolution.)

Stone means spirit, wood means life in most texts, it is consistent across many cultures and religions, and once that is seen it is easier to understand most of the stories.

In another story
The idea of being given a 'bag containing wind' to help sail back, but not being allowed to look inside, that is because spirits of the air are in the bag, and when people see that, they freak out a bit, so most don't talk about it, but many know about 'bags of spirit' or those 'turned to stone' (magic people)

This song for instance.

Alive and Kicking - Simple Minds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIQo1OHkTI

Edit: The assistance of Pegasus is of much help also.

Bob Eastwood

< Message edited by DHRedge -- 6/21/2013 11:42:12 PM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 11
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/21/2013 11:48:13 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

Atalanta

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 12
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 2:58:37 AM   
sanch

Dardanians - residents of the Dardanelles??

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 13
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 3:56:13 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

I see I am disqualified as I took Greek Mythology and I study that and ancient history.. oh well. It is fascinating stuff if you haven't ever studied it. Going to Greece is a plus too. Amazing stuff.

Back in the late '70s or early '80s my brother went on a trip to Greece and Turkey. He said Greece was very expensive and the people were rude and stiff. He said the people in Turkey were extremely friendly, everything was great fun and everything was cheap.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 14
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 4:02:36 AM   
geofflambert

DH, I've known some "bags of wind" but you're not quite there yet. You need to ease up a bit, otherwise, you're cruisin' for a snoozin'.

Post #: 15
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 4:14:10 AM   
HexHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanch

Dardanians - residents of the Dardanelles??

By George, I think he's got it!

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 16
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 4:16:17 AM   
HexHead

quote:

DH, I've known some "bags of wind" but you're not quite there yet. You need to ease up a bit, otherwise, you're cruisin' for a snoozin'.

I'm still trying to put together a mythological sorceress and a statue in New York harbor, but that's OK.

Post #: 17
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 4:29:59 AM   
DHRedge

"Wind Bag"

Thats probably where that expression came from.

Also 'full of hot air'

Again same idea, full of 'spirits' that escaped from hotter locations, hence hot air.
Flying is often of the same ideas.

Have you ever heard of 'Bag Pipes'
Where do you think that idea came from.

And with your picture you had to have appreciated the comment about masks, and seeing with ones own eyes, and of coarse the idea of 'diamonds' being found in 'stone' in 'dwarf mines' (spirits), and how those are used with a 'Bam Boo(Ghost) cannon, by Kirk.

Although it could be because of trip wires.

300 Don't Fear The Reaper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH3h70aRFxQ

Bob Eastwood

Although I do know that Floyd also discusses "Cold comes with the change" in the song title you posted, Wish You Were Here, hence I have no problem with the symbolic cold blooded picture you posted, and understand the idea of lizard, is the idea of older mind, and kirk is the idea of thinking grey mind.

Then again, Kirk did not harm Gorn in that episode either. Why would he, because someone said they had to fight? Not a good enough reason.

Post #: 18
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 4:50:13 AM   
DHRedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: HexHead
I'm still trying to put together a mythological sorceress and a statue in New York harbor, but that's OK.

Look at the top of the statue,
the Greek Dress,
and defense of Independence.

Then look at the Medusa story where she defeated the wrong war king.
Then look at the poem about that statue, and see how it discusses those same themes.
And you can see the crown of her hair when you look at that statue also.

Then simply understand the idea of Liberty, as being free, and defending others right to be free, and you can understand the connection.

As Medusa was once wrongfully imprisoned light, she defends the liberty of light wrongly imprisoned, and much of war and tyranny is to try and wrongfully imprison those that speak in ideas of light. Or do you think after being wrongly attacked, Medusa was in the wrong and should be isolated and attacked?

The story you have been told about Medusa is War Propaganda. What did she do wrong?

And if that is not enough, the drawing by Di Vinci with the girl with the curly hair (snakes), that is Medusa also, although that is a longer story, and is one of those things you hear in stories about Pryors and ancient knowledge.

Or so the story goes.

And it is Ok, I agree, most agree.
And I think Medusa should be considered a Heroine not a villain,
as you would agree if you thought about the story.

Tracing The Lines - Kate Klim
http://www.last.fm/music/Kate+Klim/_/Tracing+the+Lines

(Note the story of Medusa also told in the Outerlimits Episode on that page.)

(in reply to HexHead)
Post #: 19
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 4:57:55 AM   
geofflambert

I thought they outlawed "Dungeons and Dragons". Wait, we've got "Game of Thrones" now. My "game of thrones" consists of whether I need to sit on the one at the theatre after the movie, or make it to the one at the restaurant I'm going to next. Either way I always say:

Anaal nath rakh!
Oot vas bethut!
Doch iel dienvay!

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 20
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 5:13:13 AM   
DHRedge

basically I am bored, so telling stories, or you could say correcting them :)

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 21
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 5:17:06 AM   
DHRedge

quote:

I thought they outlawed "Dungeons and Dragons". Wait, we've got "Game of Thrones" now. My "game of thrones" consists of whether I need to sit on the one at the theatre after the movie, or make it to the one at the restaurant I'm going to next. Either way I always say:

Anaal nath rakh!
Oot vas bethut!
Doch iel dienvay!

Could you translate that?

Post #: 22
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 4:45:38 PM   
HexHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: DHRedge

quote:

Look at the top of the statue,
the Greek Dress,
and defense of Independence.

Then look at the Medusa story where she defeated the wrong war king.
Then look at the poem about that statue, and see how it discusses those same themes.
And you can see the crown of her hair when you look at that statue also.

Then simply understand the idea of Liberty, as being free, and defending others right to be free, and you can understand the connection.

As Medusa was once wrongfully imprisoned light, she defends the liberty of light wrongly imprisoned, and much of war and tyranny is to try and wrongfully imprison those that speak in ideas of light. Or do you think after being wrongly attacked, Medusa was in the wrong and should be isolated and attacked?

The story you have been told about Medusa is War Propaganda. What did she do wrong?

And if that is not enough, the drawing by Di Vinci with the girl with the curly hair (snakes), that is Medusa also, although that is a longer story, and is one of those things you hear in stories about Pryors and ancient knowledge.

Or so the story goes.

And it is Ok, I agree, most agree.
And I think Medusa should be considered a Heroine not a villain,
as you would agree if you thought about the story.

Tracing The Lines - Kate Klim
http://www.last.fm/music/Kate+Klim/_/Tracing+the+Lines

(Note the story of Medusa also told in the Outerlimits Episode on that page.)

I hope you know it was a French sculpture. It's name is "Liberty Enlightening the World." There is a body of artistic conventions having to do with Phrygian liberty caps, etc., but I seriously doubt the artist and commissioning body had Medusa in mind.

We now return to your scheduled thread.

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 23
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 4:47:14 PM   
HexHead

quote:

Anaal nath rakh!
Oot vas bethut!
Doch iel dienvay!

Glad to see you have watched Excalibur. A vastly underappreciated film, IMHO.

Do Gorns eat popcorn in the movies?

Post #: 24
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 4:49:18 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

Anaal nath rakh!
Oot vas bethut!
Doch iel dienvay!

Could you translate that?

You'll have to ask Merlin that, maybe Medusa knows? It's from the movie Excalibur and it's the charm of making.

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 25
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 8:53:03 PM   
DHRedge

quote:

but I seriously doubt the artist and commissioning body had Medusa in mind.

You presume the artist intent is the only factor,
often muse has something to say also.

(in reply to HexHead)
Post #: 26
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 8:59:35 PM   
DHRedge

quote:

Glad to see you have watched Excalibur. A vastly underappreciated film, IMHO.

That is a good movie.

I remember when that movie was in theaters.

(in reply to HexHead)
Post #: 27
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 9:00:26 PM   
HexHead

quote:

quote:

but I seriously doubt the artist and commissioning body had Medusa in mind.

You presume the artist intent is the only factor,
often muse has something to say also.

I must certainly muse about this.

< Message edited by HexHead -- 6/22/2013 9:01:09 PM >

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 28
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 9:16:02 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

No, hot dogs without the bun. If we need more meat than that, we take one of the tasty little humans sitting around.

(in reply to HexHead)
Post #: 29
RE: Ship Name Quiz - 6/22/2013 9:18:02 PM   
DHRedge

I will presume it is in support of my position, and that is also your position

I did notice your words speak of Kirks actions, while you picture the Gorn,
and it was making, that was his success in that episode.

Comically, that is not the first time someone quoted a Merlin spell to me from that movie.

I would reply by commenting on part of the spirit of that telling of the story, note the comment from Merlin, where he discusses how Luther did not know his own heart, nor the heart of other people, in an early conversation between Arthur and Merlin.

That is from Sun Tzu, so there are also Eastern philosophies in that movie.

And why he used horses to help in the first siege battle
Horses are the symbol for angels*, since they were the servants to man for many years.
And what he says to them is something they don't explain in that film.

And towers are symbols of wizards power,
so he pulled down a tower, and the coarse of the battle changed.

A good film from the early 80s,
"A boy can be king", I remember that well.
Same thing said in Star Wars by Darth Vader at that time,
when they were first trying to turn Luke, "He is only a boy".

The fog in the movie, is the idea of how muse speaks through people in different context then the intent of the people writing, where it has to be seen blurry changing the context to hear the muse, or combining with many other comments.
If things are seen in a larger perspective, that is how it is possible to see in the fog.

*(note machine takes the same symbol after the industrial age,
or in some recent stories androids take that role in some stories)

< Message edited by DHRedge -- 6/22/2013 9:19:51 PM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ship Name Quiz Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI