Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Found new button

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Found new button Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Found new button - 6/30/2013 3:57:48 PM   
CapnGreasy

PBEM opponent out of town so I was poking around and found a new button, I am not at all sure what its purpose is. Able to retire pilots in groups of 50, 10, or singly from the pilot reserve I believe it is.

Have never used this function and am just wondering if I have been missing something useful. Playing as Japan near the end of Jul 44 and things about to get very tight very soon me thinks.

If this sends some not so trained pilots back into the 12 month cycle it might not be a bad thing. I have 550 army in cycle 12 about to graduate Aug and like 1000 navy next month. Slow moth for Army 1-2 K in each month behind that.

So if anyone can tell me if there is any benefit to using this feature I would greatly appreciate it. Could not find a post which directly addressed it.

Cheers all.
Post #: 1
RE: Found new button - 6/30/2013 4:43:28 PM   
kbfchicago

Are you talking about the selection at the bottom of the "PILOT" screen for each Squadron? Let's you select "group" or "reserve" and select pilots as "1", "5" or "10" at a time (maybe large groups give you a "50" option...?) filtered by best qualified or least qualified?

The group option in this case keeps the pilot in the squadron but takes him off flight status (greys him out)

The reserve option moves those pilots to the general reserve where they can be pulled into another sqdn, it does not return them to basic flight training. No training is conducted while in general reserve.

Kevin

< Message edited by kbfchicago -- 6/30/2013 4:44:05 PM >

(in reply to CapnGreasy)
Post #: 2
RE: Found new button - 6/30/2013 4:46:53 PM   
kbfchicago

...and when you take a pilot off flight status you can than use the "any" option (vs replacement or reserve) of pilot selection to find him and do a direct sqdn to sqdn transfer.

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 3
RE: Found new button - 6/30/2013 5:24:59 PM   
CapnGreasy

Nope this is it. Just to see i released 50 at a time and it took over 10 clicks to get below 50. Wondering if i did this in game if I just sent 500 Pilots to the First Civ Div, or somewhere useful?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 4
RE: Found new button - 6/30/2013 11:58:40 PM   
wdolson

I don't know for sure, but I believe those buttons were put on the Reserve Pilot screen to prevent the pilot bug from cropping up. It's less likely in AE, but it bit a lot of players in the original WitP. Michael made the pilot table bigger during AE development so it was less likely to hit max pilots in the Pilots Table.

I think the purpose of those buttons is to get rid of some of the less useful pilots from the reserve pool to make room. Though I haven't tried it.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to CapnGreasy)
Post #: 5
RE: Found new button - 7/1/2013 1:08:05 AM   
PaxMondo

Bill,

That is my understanding as well. If both sides have large pilot pools they can hit the limit ... this allows them to purge.

Pax

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 6
RE: Found new button - 7/1/2013 1:10:51 AM   
CapnGreasy

Ok then, thank you. Was hoping I found some new gem to use. Usually find one every few weeks or so here if I look around enough. And the best most useful ones lately have been on pilot training.

Thanks for the reply and all the past posters who have helped me and every other reader. Even the seemingly unimportant questions have lead to some very useful tidbits.

Always a good idea to ask away on the forum!

(in reply to CapnGreasy)
Post #: 7
RE: Found new button - 7/1/2013 1:34:52 AM   
CapnGreasy

And speaking of questions... What is the limit? Any danger of hitting it in this case?

(in reply to CapnGreasy)
Post #: 8
RE: Found new button - 7/1/2013 3:53:49 AM   
PaxMondo

I forget the numbers, you will have to read back in the Beta thread a year or more ago. You know when you hit it as you won't get additional pilots. This hurts that allies most as they get a lot of 'name' pilots throughout the war....

Pax

(in reply to CapnGreasy)
Post #: 9
RE: Found new button - 7/1/2013 4:38:33 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I forget the numbers, you will have to read back in the Beta thread a year or more ago. You know when you hit it as you won't get additional pilots. This hurts that allies most as they get a lot of 'name' pilots throughout the war....

From memory alone--dangerous--wasn't it about 50,000 originally and upped to about 75,000?

The Moose

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 10
RE: Found new button - 7/1/2013 4:25:29 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

From memory alone--dangerous--wasn't it about 50,000 originally and upped to about 75,000?

From memory alone, I think it was 32 000 upped to 64 000.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 11
RE: Found new button - 7/2/2013 2:57:24 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

From memory alone, I think it was 32 000 upped to 64 000.

Just for the record, the actual pilot array was increased by michaelm in the beta MP exe version to 70k.

When AE initially shipped the pilot array had been increased from approximately 30k in classical WITP to 50k. In one early post jwilkerson mentioned he thought the increase had been to 64k but michaelm, who coded the air routines, confirmed the increase was only to 50k.

Subsequently, as a result of much, ahem, discussion (much of it emanating from the rader - GreyJoy match) michaelm created a special beta MP exe which upped the array to 70k. Do not expect that number to be further increased as it would have significant repercussions on saved game file sizes.

This is as good a thread as any other to read on the subject.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2876796&mpage=1&key=pilot%2Carray

I think michaelm has extended it to the regular beta but I´m still on limited forum access to track down that particular source post/thread to confirm.

Alfred

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Found new button Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI