Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fast Transport Loading

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Fast Transport Loading Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fast Transport Loading - 1/7/2003 11:34:12 PM   
Mr.Frag

Wierd one:

Scenario 19: USA

Taking all the ships capable of fast transport located in Noumea and forming them into one TF (18 ships, 5300 capacity).

Order load only troops, select 101st Base Force. (3830 load)

Ships leave for destination without the whole Base Force loaded even though it fits :(

I take the same collection of ships, split them up into groups of 4 or so ships, and tell them all to take 101st Base Force. They each scoop up a part and race off.

Ships arrive at destination with! the whole Base Force :)

Obviously for the high price of wear and tear on ships doing Fast Transport missions, one really wants them to take a full load!

Using the game mechanics to break TF's down to individual ships just to ensure that they run at capacity is not exactly what one would call enjoyable, yet with the way things load now, it is almost mandatory to get proper value for the semi-permanent SYS damage incurred.

While on the topic of Fast Tranports, is there a load size limit similar to aircraft involved? I seem to be unable to motivate them to pick up bulldozers, although they take everything else or is it simply an issue that it takes more time then permitted to load one?

Slightly different issue: when forming the Fast Transport TF, the slow PG's located at Noumea are available to be included, yet #1, 16 knots and #2, they can't carry anything? Not sure I understand that one...
Post #: 1
- 1/7/2003 11:42:40 PM   
Toro

Concerning the PGs. Yes, I've seen this occur, too. However, don't do it! IIRC, a FT TF won't work correctly -- ie, won't move to the target -- if there are slow ships included in the group. Something I read somewhere.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 2
- 1/8/2003 12:09:16 AM   
zed

I have that happen frequently in a game, fast transports leaving without loading. I think its because if the unit is too big it wont load. Even if it matches, it wont load, there needs to be extra space for some reason I dont understand. I usually leave about 100 capacity empty.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
Fast Transports - 1/10/2003 12:39:24 AM   
NorthStar

One of the limitations on a FT TF is that it only loads what it can unload in one turn at the DESTINATION, since it needs to get out by dawn.

Thus, one of the factors in TF load is the size of the destination port, which is often a more severe limitation than the actual capacity of the group.

That being said, I don't know why changing the number of TFs would effect the amount transferred. The only thing I can think of is that there may be some sort of loading "overhead" built into the equations which inrease the load/unload time for large TFs. Just a guess though, but I don't know if it is right or wrong.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 4
- 1/10/2003 1:11:28 AM   
Ironpaw

Hey Mr Frag.

About the planes picking up bulldozers - they are just too big to fit inside - same thing happens with the large artillary and AA peices too.

They will need to go the old fashion way - boat or foot.

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 5
- 1/10/2003 1:27:31 AM   
Mr.Frag

[QUOTE]About the planes picking up bulldozers - they are just too big to fit inside - same thing happens with the large artillary and AA peices too.[/QUOTE]

I was asking if the same limitation applies to fast transport, ie: bulldozer is too big to be picked up during a fast transport mission (but it seems to not be the case as I have managed to pick them up now).

What caught me off guard is that the manual says one thing (load size of 7 max) yet different aircraft seem to have different limits. Dakotas have no problem transporting size 10 items. PBY's on the other hand can't move a size 4 item it seems. Minor little thing, but it would be nice if there was a FAQ update that detailed changes like this :) for folks coming new to UV.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 6
- 1/10/2003 5:15:02 AM   
Ironpaw

I am with ya now.

Have never seen that - the Fast Transports not moving stuff, but I usually play japs and can't find a bulldozer to save my life.

That would make a very good addition to the FAQ.

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Fast Transport Loading Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI