Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor Page: <<   < prev  411 412 [413] 414 415   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/3/2013 3:40:57 AM   
Chickenboy

I really hope she decides to come out of her shell soon. Fnar, fnar...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12361
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/3/2013 7:52:51 PM   
sprior

Hopefully another crew coming home soon.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12362
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/3/2013 7:57:20 PM   
sprior

I should do this soon. My great-great uncle is commemorated here. He has no known grave.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 12363
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/3/2013 8:39:32 PM   
sprior

An ode for Matelots.

I was drinking in a Bar when a girl caught my eye
She had a ring through her nose and a tatt on her thigh.
I asked her, her name and she said “I’m called Gwen”
She smelt like a horse and she danced like a Wren.
She said come on Jack are you game for a laff?
So we jumped in a fast black and went back to her gaff.
Her house was in Torpoint and on the front door
Was a crest from each ship that had been there before.
I said to her “Gwen that‘s impressive to see”
As it looked like she’d been on twelve more ships than me.
It smelt like the mess after a good run ashore
With lanyards and cap Tallies all over the floor.
She walked to the window and sat on the ledge
I slid my hand in her knicks and felt meat and two veg
I tried to get out but she got hold of my leg
It was then I knew Gwen was an ex killick Reg.
I ran out of the door and into the street
With my kecks round my ankles and nowt on me feet.
Thank god I’d escaped and gave praise to the Lord
Got big eats, a taxi and went back onboard.
So if you’re ever in Guzz and bump into Gwen
Just remember she’s really a Reggy called Ben.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12364
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/3/2013 9:13:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

I ran out of the door and into the street
With my kecks round my ankles and nowt on me feet.

Damn! Just when it was getting good!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12365
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/3/2013 9:18:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Also, what is a "Reg"? It has something to do with that "meat and two veg" business, right?

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 12366
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/4/2013 1:33:13 PM   
FOW

The Royal Navy Police was known as the Royal Navy Regulating Branch until 2007, when the service was renamed the Royal Navy Police in a change brought about by the Armed Forces Act 2006. Members are, however, still known as "Regulators".

Post #: 12367
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/4/2013 2:20:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOW

The Royal Navy Police was known as the Royal Navy Regulating Branch until 2007, when the service was renamed the Royal Navy Police in a change brought about by the Armed Forces Act 2006. Members are, however, still known as "Regulators".

Ah, thank you sir. The poem, then, describes an undercover operation.

And Wrens don't dance very well because they are..well...you know..oh..interested in professional women's sports?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/4/2013 2:22:14 PM >

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 12368
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/4/2013 8:46:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

April 26

Sub recon of Truk shows only a few recon planes. Today will be the first ever air recon of Truk. PB4Y recon planes from Sorong. Maybe we can get them to send the "KB" there.

Second day of air recon over Cam Ranh Bay. No ships or aircraft there. That scrubs the idea of unloading tankers there. Maybe Saigon.

We need a level 5+ field for reliable use of B-24's over Okinawa. Aparri or Taichu on Formosa would work. Taichu would be more vulnerable of course. Vigan and Batan Is could work too but aren't built up yet.

Something happened to the SCTF ordered to Batan Is....they no show up. Staff flunkie, I suspect. The suggestion is relayed again.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/4/2013 8:58:19 PM >

Post #: 12369
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/4/2013 9:17:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Intermediate Pranning*********

I don't know if it is the browser or the website but something is trying to correct my Engrish when I make jokes about funny Japanese accent. It rearry annoying.

Two Marine regiments taken out of the line at Manira. I don't think JJ will attack again there. They will move back to Batangas where 1st Marine Div will reassemble after the 1st regiment moves up from Sorong. A still understrength US 32nd ID will embark from Port Hedrand in a few days and move North somewhere. These 2 Divisions plus 3 extra USMC regiments and one US Army regiment will be the attack force for Naha in about 30 d.

Post #: 12370
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/4/2013 9:41:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

My tomatoes are coming in pretty good with the individual tomatoes ripening in a nice, staged fashion. I planted the things because I hate store bought tomatoes which are selected to be almost as hard as the grapeshot used at Gettysburg (so they don't get damaged during picking/handling). They are also picked about a week early so they are usually flavorless pulp.

I would go out every morning and check....no not today...maybe tomorrow. The next day I go out and a rabbit or raccoon or a neighbor maybe has taken 2 or 3 bites out of the damn thing and decided to wait another day.

What I really should have done is go get about 40 feet of chickenwire and stake it in...but I was sick and it was hot and..yada, yada, yada.

So, this went on for about 5-6 days. Each time I would select a tomato to pick the next day...THAT particular tomato would have two bites out of it the next morning. I decided the ******* thing must have been watching me, so I took out Pinhead and let her sniff out rabbits. She ran around the 3/4 acre out back and made excited whelping sounds for about 1/2 hr. until she collapsed with her tongue out. I swear I heard the sound of a small animal giggling. Anyway, I wised up. I just picked the ripest one without a bite in it instead of waiting a day. But this is no AI rabbit. The rabbit responded by altering his routine and taking a bite out of the ripest one before I went out. F' that! I just picked the one that was TWO days away from ripeness..and then he responded by doing the same thing 2 hrs. before I went out there. Pretty soon, we were battling for the yellow ones. The other day, I outsmarted him by just slicing off the half he didn't take a bite out of. Technology! Take that *** hole! The next day the ******* thing takes bites out of BOTH sides.

Now I am back to buying the things at the store. At least they aren't yellow. Wait till the Jabaneros come in. I'll find the little tormentor out in back..stiff..with his eyes bulging out.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/4/2013 9:43:25 PM >

Post #: 12371
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/4/2013 10:56:48 PM   
Disco Duck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

April 26

Sub recon of Truk shows only a few recon planes. Today will be the first ever air recon of Truk. PB4Y recon planes from Sorong. Maybe we can get them to send the "KB" there.

Second day of air recon over Cam Ranh Bay. No ships or aircraft there. That scrubs the idea of unloading tankers there. Maybe Saigon.

We need a level 5+ field for reliable use of B-24's over Okinawa. Aparri or Taichu on Formosa would work. Taichu would be more vulnerable of course. Vigan and Batan Is could work too but aren't built up yet.

Something happened to the SCTF ordered to Batan Is....they no show up. Staff flunkie, I suspect. The suggestion is relayed again.

I though you needed a level 6 for 4E bombers.

Post #: 12372
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/4/2013 11:05:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Disco Duck

I though you needed a level 6 for 4E bombers.

They will fly missions even from a 4, but they will suffer more "breakdowns" so you will soon have large numbers in the damaged column. I believe there is also a loadout reduction but I might be making that up.

With the new beta, 4e maint. time DEFINITELY seems way up. The bigger the base, the better for any kind of sustained campaign. Aparri is a nominal 7 field but is just at 5 now because that is where it started the war.

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 12373
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/4/2013 11:10:15 PM   
Disco Duck

quote:

My tomatoes are coming in pretty good with the individual tomatoes ripening in a nice, staged fashion. I planted the things because I hate store bought tomatoes which are selected to be almost as hard as the grapeshot used at Gettysburg (so they don't get damaged during picking/handling). They are also picked about a week early so they are usually flavorless pulp.

I would go out every morning and check....no not today...maybe tomorrow. The next day I go out and a rabbit or raccoon or a neighbor maybe has taken 2 or 3 bites out of the damn thing and decided to wait another day.

What I really should have done is go get about 40 feet of chickenwire and stake it in...but I was sick and it was hot and..yada, yada, yada.

So, this went on for about 5-6 days. Each time I would select a tomato to pick the next day...THAT particular tomato would have two bites out of it the next morning. I decided the ******* thing must have been watching me, so I took out Pinhead and let her sniff out rabbits. She ran around the 3/4 acre out back and made excited whelping sounds for about 1/2 hr. until she collapsed with her tongue out. I swear I heard the sound of a small animal giggling. Anyway, I wised up. I just picked the ripest one without a bite in it instead of waiting a day. But this is no AI rabbit. The rabbit responded by altering his routine and taking a bite out of the ripest one before I went out. F' that! I just picked the one that was TWO days away from ripeness..and then he responded by doing the same thing 2 hrs. before I went out there. Pretty soon, we were battling for the yellow ones. The other day, I outsmarted him by just slicing off the half he didn't take a bite out of. Technology! Take that *** hole! The next day the ******* thing takes bites out of BOTH sides.

Now I am back to buying the things at the store. At least they aren't yellow. Wait till the Jabaneros come in. I'll find the little tormentor out in back..stiff..with his eyes bulging out.

Try this motion sensing owl. I need to know if it works and I am too cheap to buy one.
http://www.easycomforts.com/easycomforts/displayitem.aspx?id=302795

Post #: 12374
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 12:07:24 AM   
witpqs

I'll bet you didn't get a permit from Frau Blucher to plant those tomatoes. That was no ordinary rabbit. It was an HOA rabbit!

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 12375
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 12:53:19 AM   
BBfanboy

The humane way to deal with pests is to plant a "lure crop" - something they will like better than the tomatoes.
For rabbits, they would probably prefer ... well ... maybe Cannabis?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12376
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 2:30:28 AM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I'll bet you didn't get a permit from Frau Blucher to plant those tomatoes. That was no ordinary rabbit. It was an HOA rabbit!

I believe you´re right!

Attachment (1)

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12377
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 5:32:00 AM   
sanch

quote:

With the new beta, 4e maint. time DEFINITELY seems way up. The bigger the base, the better for any kind of sustained campaign. Aparri is a nominal 7 field but is just at 5 now because that is where it started the war.

Yea, I noticed that too. I'm in late 42, and all of a sudden my available 4E planes went from a normally full 12 to maybe 7. For all of my 4E bomber squadrons!

I suppose it's more realistic, but it does change the way one uses 4E bombers (i.e. much less).

Post #: 12378
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 5:58:03 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Clearly, years in the urban sprawl of SoCal have obliterated the sage wisdom of the plains and midwest from your genetic code. You must have forgotten the cardinal "three S's" of dealing with pesky varmints in your back 40.

Post #: 12379
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 5:59:37 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I'll find the little tormentor out in back..stiff..with his eyes bulging out.

Nah. Not from Jabaneros. Can you grow Sildenafil?

Post #: 12380
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 7:09:21 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I'll find the little tormentor out in back..stiff..with his eyes bulging out.

Nah. Not from Jabaneros. Can you grow Sildenafil?

Well, maybe I could get some samples from the cute Sildenafil reps at work. How would you get a rabbit to eat one though?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12381
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 7:14:24 AM   
Walloc

Liquify it, and inject it with a syringe into the tomato u got ur eyes on for tomorrow?

I mean the Sildenafil, not the cute rep.

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/5/2013 7:15:48 AM >

Post #: 12382
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 2:44:32 PM   
sprior

Looks like it's our turn in the barrel.

Ground combat at Prome (55,50)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 19791 troops, 316 guns, 1438 vehicles, Assault Value = 930

Defending force 5284 troops, 114 guns, 70 vehicles, Assault Value = 10

Japanese adjusted assault: 2029

Allied adjusted defense: 4

Japanese assault odds: 507 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 7 (1 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3387 casualties reported
Squads: 397 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 81 destroyed, 114 disabled
Engineers: 41 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 63 (63 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 35 (21 destroyed, 14 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
19th Tank Regiment
1st Tank Division
2nd Tank Division
2nd RTA/B Division
15th Army
55th Mountain Gun Regiment

Defending units:
9th Australian Division

So now that's 3 tank divisions identified in Burma:

Morning Air attack on Guards Tank Division, at 59,45 (Shwebo)

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 25,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
Vengeance I x 64

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

< Message edited by sprior -- 7/5/2013 2:47:05 PM >

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 12383
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 3:25:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Looks like it's our turn in the barrel.

Yes indeed. I don't think Mr. Curtin is going to be very happy. It seems the Imperial Japanese Army is not dead yet. A multi-continental dose of Emperor Brand Kool-aide was distributed today.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 12384
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 3:34:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

St. Louis (the ship, not the saint) and friends are still 80 miles away from their assigned patrol box near Batan Is., ******* around with a Jap sub....

ASW attack near Calayan at 82,71

Japanese Ships
SS I-159, hits 3

Allied Ships
DD LaVallette
CL St. Louis
DD Lansdowne
DD Clark
DD Carmick

When....Murasame (the WJD destroyer not the violet-tinted castle) shows up at Batan. Is. First up, an ASW group.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Batan Island at 85,70, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Murasame

Allied Ships
SC-701, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
AM Bellechasse, Shell hits 3, on fire

Murasame bores in on her goal. Fortunately for us, all the shooting going on over by Bellchase raises the alarm and USS Lang protects her sheep, although badly damaged in the process. Could have been worse.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Batan Island at 85,70, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Murasame

Allied Ships
DD Lang, Shell hits 7, heavy fires
DM Sicard
AP McCawley
AK Oberon
AK Castor
xAP Am. Packer
xAP Aloe
xAK Lulworth Hill
xAK Nicholas van Vonn

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/5/2013 3:40:10 PM >

Post #: 12385
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 3:44:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The SCTF protecting the carriers. This could have been worse too but Queen Beatrix is going to be very unhappy. I tried to plot an unpredictable route but the WJD, they fool us..they show up.

Sub attack near Taytay at 76,82

Japanese Ships
SS I-172, hits 6

Allied Ships
DD Kortenaer, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
DD Woodworth

Post #: 12386
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 3:51:02 PM   
Cap Mandrake

What was the other thing Mr. Curtin is going to be upset about?

This. The crevah rittah baastards sneak another 15K troops into the Lingayen area...and...at the very same time....a low level staff flunkie switches the bulk of 7th Aus Div to move mode to march on San Fernando. **** rearry hit-ah fan. 4th FA was also in march mode. What can you say but sheeee-ite! If 1/3rd of 7th Aus had not accidentally landed at San Fernando this would nto have happened. 100% chance for more carnage at Lingayen tomorrow as JJ will follow up their attack....oh wait, never mind...there is nobody left! How many KT was the yield on this device?! This imperils Iba as well. Hory crap!

Ground combat at Lingayen (79,75)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 19929 troops, 185 guns, 14 vehicles, Assault Value = 761

Defending force 11426 troops, 92 guns, 251 vehicles, Assault Value = 331

Japanese adjusted assault: 798

Allied adjusted defense: 172

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Lingayen !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed
F4U-1 Corsair: 4 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-)
Attacker: shock(+), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
1354 casualties reported
Squads: 38 destroyed, 94 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 41 disabled
Engineers: 61 destroyed, 10 disabled
Guns lost 30 (7 destroyed, 23 disabled)
Vehicles lost 14 (2 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
12360 casualties reported
Squads: 325 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 753 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 41 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 58 (58 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 358 (358 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 6

Assaulting units:
23rd Tank Regiment
31st Engineer Regiment
Sasebo 7th SNLF
28th Division
54th/C Division

Defending units:
763rd Tank Battalion
503rd Parachute Regiment
7th Australian Division
2nd Marine Defense Battalion
4th Field Artillery Battalion
73rd RAAF Wing

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/5/2013 4:03:36 PM >

Post #: 12387
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 4:11:34 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

We have a garden at home and one at one of the farms..the one at the farms just feeds the neighborhood animals..I can't keep them out of it.. it's pointless. I won't tell my wife cus she thinks they're cute, but I have killed 6 "bunnies" this year at the farm and those &^%*ers have eaten over 300 bean plants that I keep replanting...I think they believe it is some kind of a game. The racoons eat one bite of each tomato and go to the next one...there are so many ripe tomatoe with a couple of bites in all of em'...oh well.. then at home our boys like to pick all of the buds off of them and the squash so that is pointless as well...since when was gardening so damned stressful?

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

Post #: 12388
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 4:43:35 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Hory crap!

Ugh.

I think I've seen about enough of this staff flunkie. Put 'im against the wall. The Japs owe him a medal.

ETA: Cap'n-a t-shirt with one of my favorite phrases from Top Secret. You may want to 'rubber stamp' some more of this guy's personnel files accordingly.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 7/5/2013 5:24:30 PM >

Post #: 12389
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 7/5/2013 5:40:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Admiral Lord SPrior;

In regard to our previously discussed plan to allow JJ to win a few battles to make the war last longer, do you think this is enough or should we let it run a bit longer to keep their interest up.

With the warmest of warmth;

Fleet Admiral Mandrake
FOB San Miguel, Panay Beach Resort

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12390
Page:   <<   < prev  411 412 [413] 414 415   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor Page: <<   < prev  411 412 [413] 414 415   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI