Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Daylight bombardment TFs? Eek!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Daylight bombardment TFs? Eek! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Daylight bombardment TFs? Eek! - 1/10/2003 1:03:11 AM   
Widi

A bombardment TF of mine decided to stop off of my opponents base some 6 hexes away. Needless to say, the TF got plastered by land based air.

This is the second time this has happened to me since upgrading to v2.20. Between the two episodes I've lost 2 CA, CL, and 6 DD sunk; others damaged.

My understanding of bombardment TFs is that they run in fast at night and then scoot before daylight comes. Why, oh why, are they stopping near the base and sitting there as a huge target for LBA?

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

-Widi
Post #: 1
- 1/10/2003 1:21:53 AM   
Mr.Frag

Take a look at the different effects Retirement Allowed vs Patrol/Do Not Retire makes to Bombardment TF's in section 8.1

It sounds like you did not have Retirement Allowed set so it did what you told it and stayed put at the DH.

Arrive at Night & Sprint Away From DH only apply to Bombardment TF's with Retirement Allowed set otherwise they just cruise along to the DH and Remain at DH to play.

(in reply to Widi)
Post #: 2
- 1/10/2003 2:28:56 AM   
XPav

Set the magic switches to the correct value!

Hhow about making this a little more obvious in the future?

I love it when a plan comes together.

(in reply to Widi)
Post #: 3
- 1/10/2003 2:41:18 AM   
Widi

The TF in question never made it to the target hex.

(in reply to Widi)
Post #: 4
- 1/10/2003 3:25:47 AM   
Mr.Frag

I understand you saying they never made it, but they never made it because you told them to run in at cruise speed vs sprint in at night and retreat at full speed before those pesky pilots finished eating breakfast.

Task forces set to Retirement Allowed will plan to arrive at their destinations at night, moving into and away from the destination at full speed for 12 hours each way.

This high speed sprint portion of the move will not happen with "Patrol/Do Not Retire" set unless you are a Fast Transport TF.

Speed wise, we are talking about 12 hexes being covered vs 6 hexes being covered (ship movement rates based on a 30'odd knot speed since you say CA/CL/DD). Ships moving 12 hexes at night are much more likely to sneak around then ships moving 6 hexes during the day for obvious reasons ;)

(in reply to Widi)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Daylight bombardment TFs? Eek! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI