Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Into the Cauldron

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Into the Cauldron Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Into the Cauldron - 1/10/2003 9:36:14 AM   
Orzel Bialy

[B] Oberst Thielemann vs. Polkovnik Belchekov[/B]

Area: Stalingrad on the Volga
Date: Oct 1st 1942
Arty: 10%
Mines: 50 pts.
Para: None
Sp Ops: 5%
Air Sections: 2
Rarity/True: On
CnC: Off

Before there was Winter Rage...there was an engagement along the Volga River at Stalingrad...the Cauldron.

Post #: 1
- 1/10/2003 9:53:36 AM   
Goblin

OOOOOOOOO! OOOOOOOOO! OOOOOOOOOOOYESSSSSSSSS!!

Goblin:eek: :D

(in reply to Orzel Bialy)
Post #: 2
- 1/10/2003 10:32:41 AM   
M4Jess

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[B]OOOOOOOOO! OOOOOOOOO! OOOOOOOOOOOYESSSSSSSSS!!

Goblin:eek: :D [/B][/QUOTE]

momma!:D

Im making war, not trouble~

Post #: 3
- 1/10/2003 10:36:29 AM   
Goblin

No pressure guys... but this is eagerly awaited by your fans... We dontt want no "BOOM! Burp. I surrender." thing! We wann a big ol fight!!

Gobin

Post #: 4
Looking Into Hell Itself... - 1/10/2003 10:36:37 AM   
Orzel Bialy

As I approach our panzer I can see Oberst Thielemann standing at the side of our faithful Pzkfw IV looking down at a mapchart...lost in intense study.
In the distance there is the thunder of and crackle of every caliber gun imaginable...it fills the smoke-clogged air with its endless echos.
"Oberst. Empfingen wir Aufträge schon?" I ask aloud as I draw near, almost startling him.
"Ja." herr Oberst replies as he sets the chart down on the tread guard of our panzer. "Wir sind ein Teil des neuen Antriebs auf dem Nordabschnitt der Stadt."
Once at his side we turn and face east...towards the source of the din of battle.
There, over the frost-covered, rolling hills and steppe that lead into a river valley...squatting between us and the eastern river banks on the horizon, lay the smoking skyline of a shattered city. Stalingrad.
"Es ist wie das Schauen in Hölle selbst." I mutter as I wipe the corner of my mouth...and glance at herr Oberst.
He says nothing and only raises his binoculars to his eyes to scan the destruction that awaits us.

Post #: 5
- 1/10/2003 11:57:36 PM   
hellcat

ORDER NO. 166

'I again warn all the commanders of all units and formations not to carry out operations in battle by whole units like companies and battalions. The offensive should be organised chiefly on the basis of small groups, with tommy-guns, hand grenades, bottles of incendiary mixture and anti-tank rifles.'

Chuikov

Colonel Belchikov took the signal and rolled it in his hands before dropping a pinch of dark tobacco (that smelled suspiciously like camel dung) into it and sparking it up as just another Machorka.
Then he turned his scarred face to me and said 'Vasily always says that but he hasn't seen their preparations... I think they mean business this time!' He smiled again, a grimace that made me feel quite sick (if I'd eaten anything it would have anyway).

'We'll give fritz a little surprise of our own eh?' He boomed, slapping me on the back and sending me reeling across the bunker... 'Now come... let's see what the weather is doing...'

and so... the Rage and Fury series adopts a prequel if you will... during the 2nd German assault on Stalingrad. A mighty fight is about to commence... WHEN ORZEL SENDS ME HIS SETUP
:mad: :mad: :mad: ***BONG***

Post #: 6
- 1/11/2003 12:25:35 AM   
Jim1954

Waiter. Did we receive orders already?"

We are a part of the new drive on the north section of the city

It is like the viewing in hell itself

I think the translator goofed, or is the German word for waiter also Oberst?

:confused:

Post #: 7
- 1/11/2003 12:59:48 AM   
Goblin

Oberst=Colonel IIRC.

Goblin

Post #: 8
- 1/11/2003 1:01:23 AM   
Jim1954

Me thinks so too, but the translator came back with waiter. That's what happens when you use those free things.
:)

Post #: 9
- 1/11/2003 1:09:07 AM   
Goblin

Lol! Colonel does make more sense. Waiter is kind of funny though....

Goblin

Post #: 10
- 1/11/2003 1:21:48 AM   
Jim1954

Können Kellner, ich einen 6 Pack der Handgranaten erfreuen hat zu gehen? Und Stock o Paar der Klammern von 9 mm in während Sie’betr. dabei.

:D

(Waiter, can I please have a 6 pack of grenades to go?
And stick a couple of clips of 9mm in while you’re at it.)

Post #: 11
- 1/11/2003 1:27:22 AM   
Goblin

Waiter, there is a mine in my soup....

Goblin

Post #: 12
- 1/11/2003 1:30:50 AM   
Jim1954

Must be borscht. Is communist plot, kamerad!

Post #: 13
- 1/11/2003 1:47:56 AM   
hellcat

zzzzztttt - chatter chatter - teleprinter message begin **** NKVD report on Thielmann - circa 1933-1939 - It is indeed true Thielmann worked as a waiter in Munich until spotted by Goering while dining out - Beria out **** teleprinter message ends chatter chatter - zzzzzzt :eek:

Post #: 14
Keep it coming ... - 1/11/2003 2:17:03 PM   
stevemk1a

Orzel: keep the Oberst Thielemann saga coming! ... it inspired my DAR's!:D I get a kick out of reading them, it inspires me to break out the old Sven Hassel, Leo Kessler, etc... pulpy novels and get downright melodromatic on my opponents a*s :D :D !!

-Seriously though, they're great reading!
Oberst Thielemann never asks for tips :mad:

Post #: 15
The Coming Battle... - 1/14/2003 9:49:39 PM   
Orzel Bialy

Herr Oberst looks around into the faces of his unit commanders once he finishes his last minute briefing.

"Gibt es irgendwelche Fragen?" he asks.
Hauptmans Bernburg, Kappel and Briess shake their heads when glanced at...as does Major Kleinamen. Only Hauptman Keller speaks up.
"Die Infanterie nehmen die Stadt..." he says with his typical grin "nicht das panzers. Korrekt?"
Herr Oberst looks around again...he knows no panzer commander is ever eager to rush into a city. The idea of even entering small Russian villages tends to make one tense, let a lone a major city center.
"Korrekt." he answers after a brief pause. The answer quickly brings a more at ease look from his officers. "wir Kampf diese Schlacht unsere Weise. " he adds before motioning for me to fold up the map laying across the front plate of our PzKfwIV.
"Gute Glückherren!" Herr Oberst says as he dones his leather gloves...and with that the meeting breaks up and we prepare to move.
"Gut Herren, bereiten heraus umzuziehen!" fills the air as the officers head back to their panzers and halftracks.

Everywhere down the line men slowly being to stir...raising up off the ground, gathering their kits and weapons. Minutes later comes the grinding start up of the heavy engines...the puffs of smoke as they come to life and are reved to warm up.

After several minutes the units begin to move into their "jump off" area's...as this happens the first rounds of artillery streak overhead. All along the line their is the thump of mortars and the deeper boom of heavy caliber guns...all heralding the opening of yet another phase of the battle for Stalingrad.

Post #: 16
- 1/15/2003 7:14:16 PM   
hellcat

'the killing beginski'

small groups of russians creep around the city in search of Germans...

a small group are spotted approaching the Workers Settlement from the South West... recon, infantry backed up by flammpanzer.
Right under the open sights of an AA Gun... Long range shot... boom! :eek: Scratch one flammpanzer!

cheers can be heard from the East... in the Workers Settlement men check their weapons one final time and peer out of their loopholes...

Post #: 17
- 1/15/2003 10:31:15 PM   
reverend

hi!
i've been lurking around these forums for a few months now, and have only today discovered this thread.
never trust a translation program. i couldn't stop laughing ;)

to be honest, i've seen worse, at least one could understand what the original text in english meant.

but, in case you want a more ... hmmm ... appropriate translation:

Oberst. Empfingen wir Aufträge schon?
->
Herr Oberst, haben wir schon unsere Aufträge erhalten?

Wir sind ein Teil des neuen Antriebs auf dem Nordabschnitt der Stadt.
->
Wir sind Teil des neuen Vorstosses im nördlichen Abschnitt.

Es ist wie das Schauen in Hölle selbst.
->
Es ist wie wenn man in die Hölle blickt.

---

Die Infanterie nehmen die Stadt... nicht das panzers. Korrekt?
->
Die Infanterie nimmt die Stadt, nicht die Panzer, richtig?

wir Kampf diese Schlacht unsere Weise.
->
Wir werden diese Schlacht auf unsere Art und Weise kämpfen.

Gute Glückherren!
->
Viel Glück, meine Herren!

Gut Herren, bereiten heraus umzuziehen!
->
Gut, meine Herren. Bereiten sie sich darauf vor, auszuschwärmen (or "auszurücken")

I hope you're not offended that I try to correct these sentences, but I appreciate anybody who tries to create athmosphere in his DAR, so I thought I should help you get the German part right ;)

Post #: 18
Death Comes to Visit... - 1/15/2003 11:07:15 PM   
Orzel Bialy

The radio crackles with the chatter of tense voices. Our panzer move very slow...far behind the skirmishing line of infantry, who we can see scurrying forward.

The mortar and artillery rounds continue to fly overhead...however, now there is the all too familiar whine of incoming shells as well...mixing in with those of the outgoing rounds. Thuds and crumps of explosions rumble through the air as the shells plummet earthward.

Over the radio comes the report that a heavy AA gun has taken out a carless flampanzer that strayed into a clear line of sight. Even with all the smoke layed down by our artillery attachment and recon elements...the wind is against us. The smoke is being quickly dispersed by the high winds sweeping through the Volga River Valley.

Herr Oberst listens quietly to the reports...the first signs of Ivan infantry are stumbled upon...a HT is disabled...the accompanying infantry are roughly handled and forced to retreat. Ivan is good at this close combat warfare...as the fighting in the southern half of the city has proven. However, supporting units show up and soon rout the enemy unit with a barrage of heavy fire.

It is only the beginning...Death will come to visit many a German and Russian soldier this day.

Post #: 19
Hmmmm... - 1/15/2003 11:13:25 PM   
Orzel Bialy

since this translator seems to be doing a far less than desirable job than originally thought...I guess I'll nix the German enteries for the sake of keeping the game moving.
Not that any corrections or offense is taken by those wishing to help out ;) ...but it would be too long of a process to get someone fluent in German to first proof read what the translator has been spitting out at me. Posting a turn would slow down to a real snails pace then I fear. :(

Post #: 20
- 1/16/2003 1:36:58 AM   
Jim1954

A hearty welcome to the Forum, Reverend, this place could stand a touch of deity, I'd imagine.

:cool:

Post #: 21
- 1/16/2003 2:17:35 AM   
hellcat

Amen...

Ahem...

An enemy sniper has been located in a house on the edge of the city. On orders from the colonel we burned the building down to the ground - he didn't come out so assume his potatoe has been peeled :)

Artillery is now raining down heavily at the south western edge of the Workers Settlement. A scouting cavalry unit stumbled into some german engineers but managed to escape... The rest of the city remains strangely quiet... Is this a feint or the first schwerpunkt?

:confused:

Post #: 22
- 1/16/2003 2:30:23 AM   
M4Jess

is this a random map??

Im making war, not trouble~

Post #: 23
- 1/16/2003 3:11:37 AM   
hellcat

Jess san nope it's Wild Bills' 'northern stalingrad' map = a big beast indeed!!! kinda reminds me of your market garden one

Post #: 24
- 1/16/2003 3:13:37 AM   
Jim1954

hellcat can you post a zip of the map? I haven't seen a beast all day.

Post #: 25
- 1/16/2003 3:21:49 AM   
hellcat

it's in the spwaw map directory of the game... entitled 'northern stalingrad' by wbw

Post #: 26
- 1/16/2003 3:25:10 AM   
Jim1954

thanks

Post #: 27
Into the Valley of Death... - 1/16/2003 3:51:26 AM   
Orzel Bialy

The leading recon elements continue to push forward...some begin to report having run into Ivan's infantry. A cavalry unit is forced to retreat to the north...two engineer units are encountered in the center.

Herr Oberst continues to advance according to plan...he doesn't like the fact that some of the lead elements have pierced the city's outlying blocks relatively unscathed.

Despite some calls for the support elements to rush forward...we hold back to allow our infantry a better chance of uncovering any awaiting traps. We know all to well that these first encounters are merely "trip wire" units....out searching ahead of their main defense lines.

Still, despite our caution, there is a growing tension among the panzer units as the shattered and burning skyline draws nearer. Billowing clouds of smoke and flame roll into the October sky...the never ending chatter of small arms fire and the thunderous booms of artillery shells all help to paint a picture of the Valley of Death on the "canvas" before us.

Post #: 28
WoW! - 1/16/2003 3:56:29 AM   
Hawk

This is some great Reading guys....:) :) :)

=A82A=Hawk[Maj]|LP|
"All we knew was.....We were in this TOGETHER" ......Band of Brothers

Post #: 29
- 1/16/2003 4:10:36 PM   
hellcat

The first medal has been awarded to a genuine hero a the motherland! :eek:

Remember that keen eyed AA gunner that took out a flammpanzer... well along came a panzer IV and boom :eek: another long range kill! The enemy tank traded shots with the gunners before it blew up so it's unlikely a 3rd kill will happen, unless we relocate him quickly...

It is our sad duty to report the loss of one of our own tanks... :( not to enemy fire but crushed under a building while it took a shortcut:rolleyes:

Enemy engineers and infantry have been pushed back in a couple of places and we have also spotted enemy halftracks moving into the city...

Fighting remains sporadic and we have yet to locate any substantial enemy force... The situation mapski shows the main thrust to be near the Worker's settlement and a little further South...

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Into the Cauldron Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI