Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Orzel's Treatise on SPWAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Orzel's Treatise on SPWAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Orzel's Treatise on SPWAW - 1/11/2003 12:45:20 PM   
Orzel Bialy

I think we all have come to realize that The SPWAW Forum has been alive with the sound of debate as of late.

There have been debates of the effective power and range of certain weapons...the purchase points of some units versus others...the movement allowance factor of units...what realism settings are used or not used...and who believes this and who believes that.

What has seemingly been lost in these searches for "perfect realism" in our favorite simulation has been reality itself. As my friend Jess mentioned...we seem to have forgotten that it is, first and foremost, a game. And what is a game?

[I]Webster's definition of: Game
Pronunciation: 'gAm
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gamen; akin to Old High German gaman amusement
Date: before 12th century
[B]1: activity engaged in for diversion or amusement.[/B][/I]

We must remember that as much as we try...as much as we fiddle with this and tweak that...we can not make SPWAW the perfect game for everyone. There can be no "End All Be All" version that will satisfy the every requirement/desire of every fan.

This does not mean that we shouldn't try to correct errors or omissions or even offer tweaks that might result in improvements of one type or another...but we must remember to always try and do so in the most constructive manner possible.

From those of us who "ask" the questions...to those of us who "propose or even create" solutions...there must be one, solid constant: Respect.

Enough Said :)

***************BONG********************

Post #: 1
- 1/11/2003 1:22:23 PM   
Goblin

Good Lord. This is what heavy substance abuse in your youth does, people!! Take notes!! Teach your kids!!

Goblin:eek:

[SIZE=1]**********BONG**********[/SIZE]

(in reply to Orzel Bialy)
Post #: 2
- 1/11/2003 1:23:59 PM   
Goblin

(While I should say that I agree with Orzel, the fact remains.... you saw the BONG....:rolleyes: :eek: )

Goblin

Post #: 3
LoL - 1/11/2003 8:03:14 PM   
Orzel Bialy

It is simply a reminder Grasshopper.... A public service reminder If you will. :D :p ;)

Post #: 4
- 1/11/2003 11:01:27 PM   
Bing

I am with Orzel, in fact have stressed this over the years. I fully concur that every effort should be made to improve the game so far as weapons, their usage and tactics are concerned.

We don't have "reality" here, we have a game which attempts to recreate some aspects of reality. Reality in warfare is and always has been a bullet between the eyes. We might be close in some areas, but the big one is there isn't a Pause button on the battlefield, neither can you save and restart. Sure, you can make it impossible to stop the scenario - Harpoon tried this as an option - but you can always get up and walk away from the computer.

Some of my friends and relatives didn't walk away from a battle when they were in combat - they were carried out in a bag - for me that is the "real" difference.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 5
Re: Orzel's Treatise on SPWAW - 1/12/2003 7:00:26 AM   
Greg McCarty

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Orzel Bialy
[B]I think we all have come to realize that The SPWAW Forum has been alive with the sound of debate as of late.

There have been debates of the effective power and range of certain weapons...the purchase points of some units versus others...the movement allowance factor of units...what realism settings are used or not used...and who believes this and who believes that.

What has seemingly been lost in these searches for "perfect realism" in our favorite simulation has been reality itself. As my friend Jess mentioned...we seem to have forgotten that it is, first and foremost, a game. And what is a game?

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gamen; akin to Old High German gaman amusement

We must remember that as much as we try...as much as we fiddle with this and tweak that...we can not make SPWAW the perfect game for everyone. There can be no "End All Be All" version that will satisfy the every requirement/desire of every fan.

This does not mean that we shouldn't try to correct errors or omissions or even offer tweaks that might result in improvements of one type or another...but we must remember to always try and do so in the most constructive manner possible.

From those of us who "ask" the questions...to those of us who "propose or even create" solutions...there must be one, solid constant: Respect.

***************BONG******************** [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree for the most part, but I think the reason why some of us get a little rabid is because that we think of engines like SPwaw as a simulator --not a game. A simulator being an, as close as possible, recreation of something in the real world. Similar to things like MSTS, flight simulators, and the like.
Of course its not perfect. No sim ever is. But some are **** fine --like SPwaw. I agree absolutely with the notion that some people get absolutely and needlessly feverish over some specific in the game engine. Refinement is always a work in progress, but
at some point one has to conclude that a sim is as good as it can
get, because anything further will require strain, blood, too much money, or an act of God. Some folks can be rather like a narrowly programmed robot barber who having shorn off all the customers hair, is now fiercly digging the clippers into the scalp in some effort toward improvement on the job. We all need to take deep breath sometimes.

---------------------------------------------------------

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

Post #: 6
Bing and Greg... - 1/12/2003 11:17:51 AM   
Orzel Bialy

thanks for chiming in and the support! ;)

Post #: 7
Re: Orzel's Treatise on SPWAW - 1/12/2003 1:05:45 PM   
Tomanbeg

Originally posted by Orzel Bialy
[B]I think we all have come to realize that The SPWAW Forum has been alive with the sound of debate as of late.

***************BONG******************** [/B]

[B]respect[/B]
SYLLABICATION: re·spect
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: r-spkt KEY
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: re·spect·ed, re·spect·ing, re·spects
1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
2. To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
3. To relate or refer to; concern.
NOUN: 1. A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem. See synonyms at regard.
2. The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.
4. respects Polite expressions of consideration or deference: pay one's respects.
5. A particular aspect, feature, or detail: In many respects this is an important decision.
6. Usage Problem Relation; reference. See Usage Note at regard.
ETYMOLOGY: From Middle English, regard, from Old French, from Latin respectus, from past participle of respicere, to look back at, regard : re-, re- + specere, to look at; see spek- in Appendix I.
OTHER FORMS: re·specter —NOUN

T.( charter member of SSUMP; Sub Standard Ugly Map Producers).

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Orzel's Treatise on SPWAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI