Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT - Does this happen to you?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT - Does this happen to you? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 5:26:03 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Your lady decides she is in a chatty mood, and as she goes on and on about other kids' parents, the jerk at work, hair appointments, blah blah blah....and your mind is off in Malaysia and the DEI?

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
Post #: 1
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 6:02:14 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

Your lady decides she is in a chatty mood, and as she goes on and on about other kids' parents, the jerk at work, hair appointments, blah blah blah....and your mind is off in Malaysia and the DEI?
warspite1

Reminds me of a line from Dumb and Dumber

"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 2
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 8:55:04 AM   
morejeffs

There is an art to learning how to pretend you are listening.
A. Every now and then repeat back what she says.
B. Every 10 minutes just say "honey, you are absolutely right" It does not matter what she said, just support her verbally.

My grandparents were married 67 years and my grandmother has a huge motor mouth that does not
stop sprouting garbage...My mom was over at there house once and when grandmom went to the bathroom she asked my grandfather
how he could listen to this all day...
He then told her his system (A and B). He added if he actually listened to her for more than hour he said he would have killed her.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 1:08:08 PM   
tocaff

If I told my wife that I read the reports and run the combat before going to the bathroom, showering or walking the dog so I can ponder my next moves she'd think that I was nuts.

We're supposed to be a driver, beast of burden, doer of the Honey Do list, but listen?

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 4
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 1:59:36 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

We must be seperated at birth... but not so much Malaysia right now...wondering if 5 DDs in my CV force is enough vs 6-8...

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

Post #: 5
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 2:34:18 PM   
Phanatikk

I just ask my wife for the short version.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 6
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 5:33:44 PM   
rockmedic109

I only use short term memory when listening to my wife. Just enough to be able to ask general questions or respond with <insert appropriate emotion here>. She gives me so many names that I cannot possibly keep them straight.

Using short term memory only requires 4-5% of your mind, allowing 95% to be used on more important stuff, like the chances of Betty showing up at your invasion party.

(in reply to Phanatikk)
Post #: 7
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 6:12:39 PM   
Lecivius

I once mentioned to my wife that "Betty ruined my day". I will never make that mistake again.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 8
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 7:21:19 PM   
Schanilec

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 9
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 8:46:14 PM   
Sardaukar

Q: what's the fastest way to a man's heart?
A: a sharp, long knife

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 10
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 9:04:35 PM   
Footslogger

Here is how you handle it gentleman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5pOZhKX0KU

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 11
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 10:12:34 PM   
Treetop64

quote:

Every.
Friggin.
Day.

Lately we've been babysitting for friends, and now she's suddenly stricken with a bad case of baby fever. Won't stop talking about "baby this" and "baby that". Showing pictures of the baby, and other babies, on her iPhone. God.

Thankfully, we've matured past the point where it's biologically possible (and psychologically tolerable) for us to have children. She seems to think that babies stay cute and cuddly forever, and neglects to think of the prospect of raising teenagers while in our 60s.

I still fear that I may come home someday and find the friend's baby at our house, without her mother knowing about it...

Post #: 12
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 10:43:26 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

quote:

Every.
Friggin.
Day.

Lately we've been babysitting for friends, and now she's suddenly stricken with a bad case of baby fever. Won't stop talking about "baby this" and "baby that". Showing pictures of the baby, and other babies, on her iPhone. God.

Thankfully, we've matured past the point where it's biologically possible (and psychologically tolerable) for us to have children. She seems to think that babies stay cute and cuddly forever, and neglects to think of the prospect of raising teenagers while in our 60s.

I still fear that I may come home someday and find the friend's baby at our house, without her mother knowing about it...

Get her a Great Dane puppy. It might cure that.

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 13
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 11:04:05 PM   
Schanilec

Why should women always wear white?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
So that they match the rest of the appliances.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

Post #: 14
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/26/2013 11:39:27 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Why should women always wear white?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
So that they match the rest of the appliances.

Oh lord, here is comes....

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 15
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 1:02:37 AM   
Treetop64

quote:

quote:

quote:

Every.
Friggin.
Day.

Get her a Great Dane puppy. It might cure that.

She's a Yorkshire Terrier type. :)
Virtually impossible to find at the shelters. They are overflowing with Chihuahuas, though...

Post #: 16
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 1:16:40 AM   
dorjun driver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Q: what's the fastest way to a man's heart?
A: a sharp, long knife

The version I've heard is "right through his farking rib-cage". Not quite as subtle, but the sentiment is still there.

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 17
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 9:04:03 AM   
wdolson

quote:

My parents were well into their 40s when I came along. After going to a parent teacher conference at school once my mother commented that she was old enough to be all the other kid's parents. My father started collecting social security the year I started college. It was weird, and I could see it was a horrible strain on them.

I never wanted kids and my SO actively dislikes any human under the age of 15. She thinks all babies are horribly ugly beyond comprehension.

She's also not one to run on about nothing. Usually her stories range from interesting enough to keep my attention to quite interesting.

We do have some role reversal. I've caught her doing A and B above when I'm telling her something. Sometimes it's been important and I think there was a decision made when she wasn't paying enough attention and finds out later that something happened she didn't like because she was doing the "uh huh, sure" thing without really listening. She does have the integrity to look sheepish when those things happen and I point out to her we had a lengthy conversation about it.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 18
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 3:12:16 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

Every.
Friggin.
Day.

Uh, yeah. Well watch yourself there champ. I can tell you that I added a (now) 4yo to a (now) 22yo thinking the same thing: "we are way past that ..."

Pax

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 19
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 4:14:14 PM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

She thinks all babies are horribly ugly beyond comprehension

Thats only true for the ones that are not yours...

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 20
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 4:46:55 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
Uh, yeah. Well watch yourself there champ. I can tell you that I added a (now) 4yo to a (now) 22yo thinking the same thing: "we are way past that ..."

Ummm...did you not have a 'little chat' with your urologist about 15 years ago, mate?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 21
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 5:07:44 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Ummm...did you not have a 'little chat' with your urologist about 15 years ago, mate?

16 years ago ... sorry mate, I was in Montevideo on a good day, on a bad day ... well let's just leave it there. What is common and standard here at a urologist is leading edge science other places. Not interested in having the wrong things cut if you understand ...

Pax

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 22
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 9:21:05 PM   
Treetop64

quote:

quote:

quote:

Every.
Friggin.
Day.

Well, I hope that's not a jinx. That is a wide gap, BTW...

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 23
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 9:27:14 PM   
warspite1

Old dad warspite can claim a bigger gap:

First warspite jr born 1943
Fifth and final warspite jr born 1967 Dad was 54 then

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 24
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/27/2013 11:44:40 PM   
topeverest

I can vouch for the great dane. Magnificent breed. get at least two!

And my better half wants an October baby. I am 46!

Andy M

Post #: 25
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/28/2013 12:09:10 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Sounds like the spread of a guy I know. He's the youngest of, I think, 12 kids spread out over 25 years. He has nieces and nephews older than he is.

I had a step niece who was only two years younger than me. My sister is 10 years older than I am and she married someone much older than her. When people would mistake my brother-in-law for my father he would gleefully tell them that I was his brother-in-law and watch the confused looks on their faces. Ultimately the marriage failed because my sister was more mature than he was...

Bill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/28/2013 12:20:00 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Sounds like the spread of a guy I know. He's the youngest of, I think, 12 kids spread out over 25 years. He has nieces and nephews older than he is.

I had a step niece who was only two years younger than me. My sister is 10 years older than I am and she married someone much older than her. When people would mistake my brother-in-law for my father he would gleefully tell them that I was his brother-in-law and watch the confused looks on their faces. Ultimately the marriage failed because my sister was more mature than he was...

Bill
warspite1

Was there a specific reason for the spread that you are aware of? In my dad's case it was due to his first wife, with whom he had 2 little warspite's, dying, and when he re-married, my mum wanted her own children.

Going back further, we were told when kids, that Grandad warspite (on dad's side) was the youngest of 23. Research into the family tree has confirmed not quite so many. We have 17 confirmed children, born between 1864 and 1887 (my grandad). Great grandma must have spent a large part of her life in a state of pregnancy - incredible...

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 27
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/28/2013 12:49:59 AM   
wdolson

I guess his parents didn't believe in birth control.

Bill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 28
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/28/2013 1:44:08 AM   
kaleun

Back then birth control was called breastfeeding.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 29
RE: OT - Does this happen to you? - 7/28/2013 4:49:09 AM   
Justus2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Bill
warspite1

Was there a specific reason for the spread that you are aware of? In my dad's case it was due to his first wife, with whom he had 2 little warspite's, dying, and when he re-married, my mum wanted her own children.

Going back further, we were told when kids, that Grandad warspite (on dad's side) was the youngest of 23. Research into the family tree has confirmed not quite so many. We have 17 confirmed children, born between 1864 and 1887 (my grandad). Great grandma must have spent a large part of her life in a state of pregnancy - incredible...

I have a great-great..great-grandfather who had 24 children, 20! with his first wife, and 4 more with wife #2. Being the mid-1800s, barely over half made it to adulthood, sadly. When researching the birth records, we had a confusing discovery. Charles and Theresa had a boy on March 4, and Charles and Theresa had a daughter on March 11..?!? Turns out Charles Jr (who also married a girl named Theresa) was having his 1st son, while Dad and Mom were on #18...

I came from a family of 6, and thought OUR house was crowded!

Playing/Learning Shadow Empire

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT - Does this happen to you? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI