Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[WIP] [DW:U] Universa Addon for Distant Worlds Extended

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> [WIP] [DW:U] Universa Addon for Distant Worlds Extended Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[WIP] [DW:U] Universa Addon for Distant Worlds Extended - 6/22/2013 11:01:23 PM   
Azuran

Universa Addon for Distant Worlds Extended brings 21 new races to Distant World's extended for a total of 59 Races. The mod is currently a work in progress and I will be updating this post as I have more news.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Azuran -- 6/6/2014 10:05:58 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/22/2013 11:05:44 PM   
Azuran

Some Interesting Stats

Personality Overview

Personality Strengths

Growth Rate

Race Makeup

Native Planet

Troop Strength

< Message edited by Azuran -- 6/23/2013 2:48:50 AM >

(in reply to Azuran)
Post #: 2
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/23/2013 12:47:35 AM   
dostillevi

Love the portraits you've selected, and the first two races sound very interesting! Are you doing your own artwork for the ships and ground troops?

(in reply to Azuran)
Post #: 3
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/23/2013 4:12:17 PM   
Flinkebeinchen

Looks promising!

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 4
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/23/2013 11:09:57 PM   
Azuran

quote:

ORIGINAL: dostillevi

Love the portraits you've selected, and the first two races sound very interesting! Are you doing your own artwork for the ships and ground troops?

I made a video showing the shipsets I am using. Since Distant Worlds Shadows has updated their shipsets to Woddman's, I used some shipsets from the Distant Worlds Original theme and 2 or 3 pirate shipsets. The Empires that use pirate shipsets will have a different engine flame color,( and those races have a story element of how they got those pirate shipsets). My goal is to eventually give them all custom shipsets, but the ones they currently have are quite excellent. I think Im also going to use some shipsets from Sirians mod.

Take a look:
Make sure to watch in HD
http://youtu.be/w0cNhFPUeEc

I am currently at the Electronic Daisy Carnival (EDC) Music Festival in Las Vegas for the weekend, which is why its taking a bit of time to update the original post with everything, but each new race will be unique and be interesting to play and immerse yourself in.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flinkebeinchen

Looks promising!

Thank you! It should bee done by end of June, I am finishing some balance and polishing it. Still have to put information up on this thread!

Here is a preview of theminimod (same video as above quote):
Take a look:
Make sure to watch in HD

I am also going to make an encyclopedic PDF that contains information on all 50 races.

< Message edited by Azuran -- 6/23/2013 11:19:15 PM >

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 5
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 7/9/2013 4:29:52 PM   
Tehlongone

Is this mod approaching release? It looks interesting.

(in reply to Azuran)
Post #: 6
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 7/13/2013 10:55:51 AM   
Algoritm

quote:

Take a look:
Make sure to watch in HD

Hi, could you put a link to the music played in that video please?

I'm compiling all sorts of tracks to enrich my distant world playlist atm. I'll also be posting the ones I use as a gesture of participation when I get back from holiday.

We seek researchers that find, but find researchers that seek.

(in reply to Tehlongone)
Post #: 7
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 7/18/2013 5:10:07 AM   
Azuran

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tehlongone

Is this mod approaching release? It looks interesting.

It will released most likely a few days from now, my guessimate is 20th of July. I apologize for not keeping you guys up too date, real life got busy. The only thing I will need to polish after I release it is the troop images.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Algoritm

quote:

Take a look:
Make sure to watch in HD

Hi, could you put a link to the music played in that video please?

I'm compiling all sorts of tracks to enrich my distant world playlist atm. I'll also be posting the ones I use as a gesture of participation when I get back from holiday.

I cannot seem to find it, I will keep looking.

< Message edited by Azuran -- 7/18/2013 5:11:36 AM >

(in reply to Algoritm)
Post #: 8
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 7/28/2013 5:09:23 PM   
w1p

any word on this? looking forward to this !

(in reply to Azuran)
Post #: 9
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 8/19/2013 6:22:13 PM   
drillerman

Yes, Bump!
Is this mod still alive?

Huh?

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 10
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 10/1/2013 4:03:03 PM   
rawardy

Sooo this mod looks Dead... Shame was looking forward to it. Could you upload what you had made so far?

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 11
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 10/1/2013 5:24:02 PM   
Darkspire

There are distant rumblings ... screams of tortured souls ... the Darkverse is rippling into existence ...

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 10/1/2013 5:25:13 PM >

(in reply to rawardy)
Post #: 12
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 10/1/2013 5:36:43 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Hmm, even the YouTube video isn't working for me. Sound is broken/pulsed, and the screen remains black. Other vids work fine.

Shame, was looking forward to this as well.

nb: Azuran hasn't been on since his last post above, Last July 18th.... :(

< Message edited by CyclopsSlayer -- 10/1/2013 5:40:09 PM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 13
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 1/21/2014 8:35:08 AM   
Hawkeye_BF

Hi,

what about this Mod??? Would be great if V0.85 will be downloadeble to expand to the 50 Races ;)

Thanks a lot

(in reply to Azuran)
Post #: 14
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 5/29/2014 11:40:44 PM   
Tanaka

Shame this was never uploaded

(in reply to Hawkeye_BF)
Post #: 15
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 5/29/2014 11:57:50 PM   
Azurian

I am the creator of this and I believe I still have all the files on my Google Drive . I lost access to "Azuran" last year because the email I used was randomly generated.

I can start working on this again, but with new modifications and probably a new thread and mod name since I can't edit the original post.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 16
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 5/30/2014 12:08:30 AM   
Azurian

I found my mod on Google Drive. It was meant for Shadows and is currently unplayable. I will start from scratch and convert it to Universe with new modifications.

remove (*)
drive.google.com(*)/file/d/0B-oD5HPpgBk0NnVkSDc0TGNhcHM/edit?usp=sharing

< Message edited by Azurian -- 5/30/2014 1:10:52 AM >

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 17
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 5/30/2014 12:33:11 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azurian

I found my mod on Google Drive. It was meant for Shadows and is currently unplayable. I will start from scratch and convert it to Universe with new modifications.

remove (*)
drive.google.com(*)/file/d/0B-oD5HPpgBk0NnVkSDc0TGNhcHM/edit?usp=sharing

Wow great news!!!

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 18
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 5/30/2014 3:35:00 AM   
Hannable

Thanks Azurian.

I was just about to download this mod when I realized you needed Distant Worlds Extended (rather than Expanded), and there was no download link.

Great to see this mod resurrected.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 19
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 5/30/2014 6:16:14 AM   
Azurian

Right now it's unfinished with just a collection of files. Because of Universe I can add new techs and component and going to be completely doing 2 to 3 races at a time until I am done.
My goal is too have new playstyles. The Ranga are uber pacifists who ignite with Rage against during mating season , the Charcario are kinda like America in that they are the galaxy police force with a love for war against war mongers. There are many tech branches without race bonuses like Mining and Commerce.

I used to mod for Civilizations IV, and maybe one day there will be like 100 races to choose from. Distant Worlds will be like League of Legends in a a 4x sense.

I have the blueprints of what I want to do, and trying to avoid generic or tropes as much as possible.

< Message edited by Azurian -- 5/30/2014 7:18:17 AM >

(in reply to Hannable)
Post #: 20
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 5/30/2014 3:29:38 PM   
Titan32

Good news you're continuing your mod, sir!

By the way, the latest version of Extended adds a new race family, the Avians. Just to be sure you don't miss it.

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 21
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 5/30/2014 3:31:11 PM   
Unforeseen

How exactly did the Ranga become a space faring civilization in the first place?

(in reply to Titan32)
Post #: 22
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/5/2014 5:15:13 AM   
Zunos

Are there any plans to add extra character pics for each races leaders, agents, etc?

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 23
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/5/2014 5:06:15 PM   
Azurian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zunos

Are there any plans to add extra character pics for each races leaders, agents, etc?

Probably, I am currently doing some mathematical calculations and been reading the modding guide. I use Notepad++ to edit stuff, especially the race biases, since you can edit and highlight text vertically.

I have Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC so images are not an issue, especially with the "Kitchensink file repository" upload by jamthree.

Apologies for being sparse with new information, I had finals and school but today was my last day of class so I am free to focus on this in the summer.

I am currently in the brainstorming/blueprint/design area, and ready to start coding, since I am starting from scratch code wise and going to tweak some of the stories and stuff I had since Universe opened up new modding capabilities .

I will have more information ands update this thread as I have new developments.

< Message edited by Azurian -- 6/5/2014 6:07:24 PM >

(in reply to Zunos)
Post #: 24
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/5/2014 5:57:05 PM   
necaradan666

Just wondering.. in that race makeup screenshot above ackdarian has two i's in amphibian. Is that a bug? from the base game or from a mod? maybe it's always been like that?

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 25
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/5/2014 10:16:35 PM   
Azurian

quote:

ORIGINAL: necaradan666

Just wondering.. in that race makeup screenshot above ackdarian has two i's in amphibian. Is that a bug? from the base game or from a mod? maybe it's always been like that?

The original post is obsolete, these are the races I plan to introduce.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 26
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/6/2014 3:11:06 AM   
Zunos

Thanks for the reply Azurian. Do you know if there is a way to add more variety to pirates? I wish the best on this, Ill certainly keep an eye out.

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 27
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/6/2014 5:27:58 AM   
Inawordyes

They all look awesome! Haha, okay, so Varrasul and Quartz (which I'm assuming is replacing Amethyst? ) are part of a new "Crystalline" RaceFamily group? Also, I really have to ask, but what did you decide to name the plant RaceFamily? I ask both because I am in the process of making my own group of races, and the very first one I made was a plant race to which I named "Botanical" - as plants are a little too generic and limiting as far as including stuff like trees are concerned, and Botany is the study of the Plant Kingdom, so for my own personal thoughts it was a better representative, or at least more interesting; regardless, it would be of benefit to know so that there isn't a naming issue separating both groups, and also because the bias values are probably different as well - and I also have a race that I had considered making a Crystalline RaceFamily for but was hesitant to do so as it'd be a one-off as far as my own races are concerned so ended up assigning as Humanoid but would like to switch to your RaceFamily now that I know they won't be all alone (wow, that was a really long run-on sentence, haha).

I completely plan to use your mod and DWE, and so when you are able to get this finished, I will probably upload mine with compatibility for both (as like the 4.0 to the basegame's 10, DWE's 2.0, and your 3.0 in terms of races building upon other races).

If you would Azurian, could you PM me with the text of the Galactopedia article for Khlorophrola? Thankfully for me none of your races use any pictures I've come across, but one of the races I'm working on right now looks a little like Khlorophlora and I am curious as to whether the background ideas are similar, as since I'll likely make my own races mod compatible with this as well as DWE I don't want to lock down any definite ideas for my races and then have to backtrack because they're redundant to yours.

One last thought is that if the Humanoid-looking Galatos is classed as a Rodent, then the actual Rodent-looking Kingsley shouldn't be classed as a Humanoid, haha.

Distant Races

The self-titled Crown Prince of Crazy Plans.

(in reply to Zunos)
Post #: 28
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/6/2014 7:00:22 AM   
Azurian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Inawordyes

They all look awesome! Haha, okay, so Varrasul and Quartz (which I'm assuming is replacing Amethyst? )

At the moment Quartz is replacing Amethyst but its not a final decision to eliminate Amethyst. I am actually over time, hopefully, have over 100 races. The 50 ship types cap doesn't bother me currently since majority of people play with 10-37 races at a time.

are part of a new "Crystalline" RaceFamily group?
I actually called this family Mineral and they represent silicon or Titanium, aluminium, magnesium,iron, and sulfur biochemical life.

Varrasul has a 4% growth rate but get a big bonus in population if the planet has Silicon or Hydrogen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry

Also, I really have to ask, but what did you decide to name the plant RaceFamily? I ask both because I am in the process of making my own group of races, and the very first one I made was a plant race to which I named "Botanical" - as plants are a little too generic and limiting as far as including stuff like trees are concerned, and Botany is the study of the Plant Kingdom, so for my own personal thoughts it was a better representative, or at least more interesting; regardless, it would be of benefit to know so that there isn't a naming issue separating both groups, and also because the bias values are probably different as well

I actually named it botanical for simplicity,

Khorophrrola = Chlorophyll + Flora. They are masters of energy collection and have a unique technology called Artificial Photosynthesis. They are carnivores similar to the Venus fly plant.

Sycelium = sy + mycelium (mushroom). They are mushrooms with bioengineered weapons who live in tribes.

Evilian = Evil + lichen/ fungus with bioluminescent markings that live in deep caverns underground.

Florian = four legged pine forest guardians/ gaia/ nature protectors with fur made of pine leaves.

- and I also have a race that I had considered making a Crystalline RaceFamily for but was hesitant to do so as it'd be a one-off as far as my own races are concerned so ended up assigning as Humanoid but would like to switch to your RaceFamily now that I know they won't be all alone (wow, that was a really long run-on sentence, haha).

The best word I can find is Mineral, anything made of minerals, metals, or rocks can fit this category. Think of the Rock type in Pokemon or golems.

I completely plan to use your mod and DWE, and so when you are able to get this finished, I will probably upload mine with compatibility for both (as like the 4.0 to the basegame's 10, DWE's 2.0, and your 3.0 in terms of races building upon other races).

That's fine with me, right now I am in the early stages.

If you would Azurian, could you PM me with the text of the Galactopedia article for Khlorophrola? Thankfully for me none of your races use any pictures I've come across, but one of the races I'm working on right now looks a little like Khlorophlora and I am curious as to whether the background ideas are similar, as since I'll likely make my own races mod compatible with this as well as DWE I don't want to lock down any definite ideas for my races and then have to backtrack because they're redundant to yours.

I have a general story for Khlorophrola but haven't made the Galactopedia for them yet. The story is that their home planet had a giant volcanic event that darken the skies. Since they need solar energy to live, their species is dying and they need to colonize another planet. They can rapidly reproduce on certain worlds, but cannot colonize easily Volcanic or Ice Worlds. Troops are grown on farms, and their society revolves on certain individuals who can bloom enormous flowers, similar to how part of our society revolves around Hollywood celebrities. Their cities are really simiiar to the inside of a plant cell, with architecture made of cellulose, and "electrical plants" composed of Chlorophyll Collectors.

One last thought is that if the Humanoid-looking Galatos is classed as a Rodent, then the actual Rodent-looking Kingsley shouldn't be classed as a Humanoid, haha.

I am thinking of just making a Mammalian class.

Feline = Ranga, Galatos
Humanoid = Kingsly

I can just make:

Mammalian = Ranga, Galatos, Kingsley

0, Humanoid,
1, Ursidian,
2, Insectoid,
3, Reptilian,
4, Amphibian,
5, Rodent,
6, Machine,
7, Avian,
8, Botanical,
9, Mammalian,
10, Mineral,

< Message edited by Azurian -- 6/6/2014 8:02:23 AM >

(in reply to Inawordyes)
Post #: 29
RE: [WIP] Extended Plus! Minimod for Distant Worlds Ext... - 6/6/2014 7:38:21 AM   
Inawordyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azurian

At the moment Quartz is replacing Amethyst but its not a final decision to eliminate Amethyst. I am actually over time, hopefully, have over 100 races. The 50 ship types cap doesn't bother me currently since majority of people play with 10-37 races at a time.

I currently have a backlog of about 35 races that I have planned to include, haha, with a whole bunch of other pictures possibles that I'm purposefully not messing with yet because I don't want to get drowned out in a sea of over-my-head ideas. Having a 100+ races would be pretty cool, though.

I actually called this family Mineral and they represent silicon or Titanium, aluminium, magnesium,iron, and sulfur biochemical life.

Hmm, I see, so basically like organic metal beings rather than machines?

I actually named it botanical for simplicity,

Khorophrrola = Chlorophyll + Flora. They are masters of energy collection and have a unique technology called Artificial Photosynthesis. They are carnivores similar to the Venus fly plant.

Sycelium = sy + mycelium (mushroom). They are mushrooms with bioengineered weapons who live in tribes.

Evilian = Evil + lichen/ fungus with bioluminescent markings that live in deep caverns underground.

Florian = four legged pine forest guardians/ gaia/ nature protectors with fur made of pine leaves.

Ah, so we had the same idea. Or are you saying that you named it "Botanical" because I suggested it rather than already having named it "Botanical" in the first place before I even brought it up? I guess it doesn't really matter either way in the end, though, haha.

The best word I can find is Mineral, anything made of minerals, metals, or rocks can fit this category. Think of the Rock type in Pokemon or golems.

Answered my question above. Ooh, Golems, I had had that idea after seeing some of the races I started making, but never really became motivated to make them separate from machines, so mineral as a RaceFamily is good for me, haha (I feel like I'm mooching off your ideas unintentionally, as it appears that a lot of the things I've been working on play into ideas you already came up with and are implementing).

I have a general story for Khlorophrola but haven't made the Galactopedia for them yet. The story is that their home planet had a giant volcanic event that darken the skies. Since they need solar energy to live, their species is dying and they need to colonize another planet. They can rapidly reproduce on certain worlds, but cannot colonize easily Volcanic or Ice Worlds. Troops are grown on farms, and their society revolves on certain individuals who can bloom enormous flowers, similar to how part of our society revolves around Hollywood celebrities. Their cities are really simiiar to the inside of a plant cell, with architecture made of cellulose, and "electrical plants" composed of Chlorophyll Collectors.

That shoulds like a good backstory, actually. I still don't know completely yet for mine what it will turn out to be, but the species, named Tencta, are currently, tentatively (and I'm probably going to change this because I couldn't think of a way to finish the Galactopedia entry with this thought), like a carnivorous, parasitic flowering vine that bases it entire life around it's next meal and is very aggressive as a species in taking over worlds to find new sources of flora and fauna - even sentient species; their policy would probably involve exterminating all other races, in this case to emulate their consuming the population of a planet they take over - and is ruled by a "Matriarch" with a Borg Queen-like control over the species - think a little like with the Flood and the Gravemind in Halo. But anyways, the race picture gives them a Venus Fly-Trap vibe and I noticed that about the Khlorophrola like you mentioned which is why I asked, because I wasn't sure if you were going for a similar thought as the above.

I really like your idea for Khlorophrola, though, and it's certainly more unique than what I could come up with, haha.

I am thinking of just making a Mammalian class.

Feline = Ranga, Galatos
Humanoid = Kingsly

I can just make:

Mammalian = Ranga, Galatos, Kingsley

0, Humanoid,
1, Ursidian,
2, Insectoid,
3, Reptilian,
4, Amphibian,
5, Rodent,
6, Machine,
7, Avian,
8, Botanical,
9, Mammalian,
10, Mineral,

Again, it feels like mooching, but my second, third, fourth (and fifth, by technicality; when I upload my races you'd get an understanding as to why I say that) races I decided would belong to second new RaceFamily (which I guess the first one, Botanical, isn't so "new" since you already had the same idea first, haha), "Primate". Which could roll straight into your Mammalian group without a problem, haha.

Kingsley is literally a bipedal rabbit wearing medieval clothes, though, so it should still fall under Rodent considering it's more closely related to the real-life species that inspired the current rodent group races than cats and monkeys, haha, walking on two legs or not.

Distant Races

The self-titled Crown Prince of Crazy Plans.

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> [WIP] [DW:U] Universa Addon for Distant Worlds Extended Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI