Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First impression - disappointing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> First impression - disappointing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First impression - disappointing - 7/30/2013 5:39:30 PM   
Templer_12

On YouTube on the "Matrix Games Press" - Channel you'll find several short 2 minute video from the upcoming AGEOD title "Civil War II".

So, I do not know.
All very sterile.
For me, it looks as if AGEOD used the interface and graphic style of "Pride of Nation" and only adjusted the map and the graphics of the officers, soldiers, artillery, the circumstances of the Civil War.

I miss here the attention to detail.
Where are the pretty, era-specific frames, buttons, graphs of/on the UI, etc?
The time frame graphic details?

Honestly, what I have seen here with the screenshots and on YouTube is not particularly exciting me.
Disappointing.

Although AGEOD faces economic difficulties, I would have expected more love for the product.

My, hopefully unjustified, first impression of the screenshots and the videos: cheap, unloving imprint of the former flagship product from AGEOD.
Post #: 1
RE: First impression - disappointing - 7/30/2013 7:30:53 PM   
vonRocko

Yeah I saw them also, I hate to say it, but it is pretty lackluster.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 2
RE: First impression - disappointing - 7/30/2013 7:36:47 PM   
wosung

Thanks for the vids. Judging from the map pic and the chatter on the Ageod forum it's no real news that AACW II will gonna be PON style. Quite different to Sandra's Art for AACW I. They say the new one is easier to patch (and to build?!).

I'm more interested in turn resolution time (compared to PON) and gameplay improvements. With the music overlay the vids aren't very meaningful.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 3
RE: First impression - disappointing - 7/31/2013 9:09:51 AM   
Pocus

Don't throw the baby with the water bath. Indeed, we have changed the interface style for CW2, but not only the style, all interface panels have been redone, and more have been added, to ease gameplay. Redoing panels & windows with a new code which is much more faster (so better for your computer) and much more user friendly (you can easily move the buttons around and change the texture to something more to your liking by the way, and if you want to propose something re-using ACW1 graphics, we will happily give you some coverage).

Also, it would be unfair to say we recycled some PON interface, and voila, CW2. As I said above, we have new windows compared to ACW1, like the list of units AND the list of stacks. The list of regions where you can see easily which ones produce something, have railroads, depots, etc.

About game features, you get a much bigger map with the 'Far West', regional decisions, and much more versatile historical options (and not the 6 meagre ones of ACW1). As for its core, CW2 is still having all others features you liked in ACW1.

We are jumping the code base from 2007 to 2013 here, and believe me it shows in many ways.

AGEOD Team

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 4
RE: First impression - disappointing - 7/31/2013 11:11:06 AM   
GBS

Stay in touch a little more Pocus and this type post probably wouldn't happen. Just 5 or 10 minutes a day will get you probably 2000 more sales.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 5
RE: First impression - disappointing - 7/31/2013 11:50:48 AM   
wosung

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS

Stay in touch a little more Pocus and this type post probably wouldn't happen. Just 5 or 10 minutes a day will get you probably 2000 more sales.

This.

I'd imagine that you all have tons of things to do before release (in September, Phil Thib wrote somewhere). Thus, simply no time.

But arguably, AACW II somehow is under-advertised. And this in three different forums (Ageod, Matrix, Slitherine). Which doesen't exactly help to focus.

One thing the Paradox ppl are really good at is pre-release marketing, weekly features, AARs. Someone gotta tease your potential customers.

Best regards

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 6
RE: First impression - disappointing - 7/31/2013 6:20:55 PM   
Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

quote:

This.

I'd imagine that you all have tons of things to do before release (in September, Phil Thib wrote somewhere). Thus, simply no time.

But arguably, AACW II somehow is under-advertised. And this in three different forums (Ageod, Matrix, Slitherine). Which doesen't exactly help to focus.

One thing the Paradox ppl are really good at is pre-release marketing, weekly features, AARs. Someone gotta tease your potential customers.

Best regards

I agree with the above, but also wanted to comment on his point on the forums. It is fairly confusing right now, but where is the 'official' forums for ACW II? There are only two threads here, a couple at Slitherine, and at AGEOD Forums there is a thread about ACW II in the ACW forum, but no separate forum for ACW II. When it launches, which forum will be the primary one? I think it would be helpful to establish one as primary, post some Dev Diaries (or even links to the Matrix Videos on Youtube, I found those last night based on a forum post, but no official announcement that I saw). Maybe a thread on each video with the info from the notes and some more description of what you are seeing, then you could get feedback on each of the various feature sets.

Playing/Learning Shadow Empire

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 7
RE: First impression - disappointing - 7/31/2013 7:11:27 PM   
RJinVA_slith

I, for one, am greatly impressed by the new interface. It streamlines the appearance of the game. Yes, it's less quaint than the original, but it also looks a lot more usable. Plus, it shows the map much better, which is important for me. The new portrait and unit artwork looks superb. (Did you see the portrait of Sherman? Does it not catch the man?)

This new interface, by itself, makes the game an instant purchase (for me) when it comes out. Then there are the new game features, too.....

It's a great time for civil war gamers.

RJinVA

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 8
RE: First impression - disappointing - 7/31/2013 7:53:06 PM   
vonRocko

I'm sure it's going to be a great game, and I will buy it on day one. It just seems a bit "generic". I just loved the artwork in the earlier games.

(in reply to RJinVA_slith)
Post #: 9
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/1/2013 8:48:44 AM   
Pocus

Yes, that's always one of the problem when in a small team, find time to do the code and historical data, find time to post developer diary and such like :)

But we will ramp up soon... (except I'll not be available next week, but after that, it should be ok). About the Main forum, Ageod forums is where the biggest community resides, then probably Matrix where we will have a daily presence. Slitherine forums are smaller, but there too we will make visits. Every player is important for historical games.

< Message edited by Pocus -- 8/1/2013 8:49:33 AM >

AGEOD Team

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 10
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/1/2013 12:45:00 PM   
Templer_12

In AGEOD company's history, the company released lots of games with the same engine, or approximately the same engine.
So you want to assume that AGEOD thereby accumulated, also by the resonance of the enthusiast, a great wealth of experience.

Like many others here, I also look forward to another ACW Title - theoretically I look forward.

My first post mediated only my subjective first (shocked) impression.
And it is disappointing.

Maybe my impression is wrong, maybe I am completely wrong.
I am not among the people who always have to be right.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 11
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/1/2013 4:07:37 PM   
Sieben_slith

I'm quite pleased with the new graphics. The old map was too cluttered, the leader portraits too big and concealing and the decorative "period" screen borders covered too much of the map. Together with the new interface and rules, I think the game will be a big hit among old and new players. I'm very much looking forward to it.

(aka khbynum)

< Message edited by Sieben Elfriend -- 8/1/2013 4:09:17 PM >

A soldier has a hard life, and but little consideration.

Robert E. Lee (in a letter to his wife, Mary), 1855

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 12
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/1/2013 9:16:05 PM   
Capt Cliff

Cha-Ching ... seems to be a management decision to rehash a marginal game system to cash in. Please will some one put the board game The Civil War on the computer!!

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2081/the-civil-war

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Sieben_slith)
Post #: 13
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/2/2013 7:00:19 PM   
Templer_12

Many say, the map of Napoleon's Campaigns would be the best map of all AGEOD games.

Could it be, that now the map in Civil War II was inspired by the map of Napoleon's Campaigns?

I mean to recognize similarities:
• thick, lush green
• the wells as delimiting the regions
• animated flags

< Message edited by Templer -- 8/2/2013 7:31:03 PM >

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 14
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/2/2013 8:02:33 PM   
RockKahn

Looking forward to the release of this game, since I really enjoy AACW. I'll be buying it on day one. I like the AACW graphics, but I like these new graphics better.

I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 15
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/2/2013 8:18:48 PM   
Sieben_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff
Cha-Ching

What should they do, if not put good money after good? AgeOD is a business and AACW is the most active of the AgeOD forums, despite the game's age. I've tried all the currently available Civil War grand strategy computer games (plus several that fell by the wayside) and AACW is on balance the best. It has some problems and I expect them to be fixed with the new version. I also remember with fondness some of the great boardgames of the past, but this is now. Instant sale for me, please give it a try.

A soldier has a hard life, and but little consideration.

Robert E. Lee (in a letter to his wife, Mary), 1855

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 16
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/2/2013 10:49:18 PM   
Emx77

I don't have special preferences regarding user interface. If new interface is more faster (Pocus said it is) then it is fine with me. Some parts of new maps are nice but other parts are a little disappointing. For example, in screenshot with Richmond and Washington, rivers are zigzagging in somewhat unnatural manner. I prefer rivers to be more curve and smooth. I definitively expected more variety with on-map structures. Forts are fine and nicely done but cities are too generic. For example, practically there is no difference between level 1 and level 10 cities. I think, this is most important factor contributing to "generic" map feeling.

I'm note sure, but it seems ROE and stances part of game mechanics will stay same as in other AGEOD's games. We need more variety in this regard. I always wanted to be more flexible in giving orders to my units. For example, in AACW1 you can give order to formation only to take one structure per turn. But, I would like to give order to my force to advance on given route taking all structures, one by one. Is there any improvements regarding this in AACW2?

(in reply to Sieben_slith)
Post #: 17
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/3/2013 2:51:52 AM   
JeanAllTrekkie

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

quote:

This.

Best regards

Totally Agree. Nowadays you NEED to do alot of pre-release marketing. Marketing is key. Paradox leads the way in this. Every few days i hear nothing but EU 4... video after video, dev diary after dev diary. So much so that Im pumped for the game. Plan to buy it day 1.

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 18
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/3/2013 1:17:07 PM   
wodin

Sandra made the best Maps but I think she left awhile ago..her maps where a work of art and are what first drew my eye to Ageod and BoA which a preordered (I think I did follow the development and buy it as soon as possible)..solely on the map alone, the actual era and War I had no interest in..but I wanted that map. For me the games have never looked as good since she stopped.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emir Agic

I don't have special preferences regarding user interface. If new interface is more faster (Pocus said it is) then it is fine with me. Some parts of new maps are nice but other parts are a little disappointing. For example, in screenshot with Richmond and Washington, rivers are zigzagging in somewhat unnatural manner. I prefer rivers to be more curve and smooth. I definitively expected more variety with on-map structures. Forts are fine and nicely done but cities are too generic. For example, practically there is no difference between level 1 and level 10 cities. I think, this is most important factor contributing to "generic" map feeling.

I'm note sure, but it seems ROE and stances part of game mechanics will stay same as in other AGEOD's games. We need more variety in this regard. I always wanted to be more flexible in giving orders to my units. For example, in AACW1 you can give order to formation only to take one structure per turn. But, I would like to give order to my force to advance on given route taking all structures, one by one. Is there any improvements regarding this in AACW2?

(in reply to Emx77)
Post #: 19
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/6/2013 6:21:30 AM   
Pocus

In reply to Emir Agic, if your force is on assault, it should be able to assaults all structures it encounters in the same turn.

general comment:
If we were just cashing on ACW1, we would not have needed 9 months of work (3 persons) to do so. We would have released a so called 'ACW Gold platinum expansion upgrade pack' and 3 months of work would have been more than enough

AGEOD Team

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 20
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/7/2013 4:17:50 AM   
balto

Pocus, your avatar. I get it and I love it.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 21
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/8/2013 2:22:12 AM   
Gilmer

I guess this will make me a fanboy, but I like it. I definitely like the representations of ships. Nice!

As for the maps. Well, to me, the game is the game play and the map is good enough for me. I've never really looked at a map and said, "Man, this map is so bad, I don't want to play."

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 22
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/8/2013 2:33:55 PM   
gexmex

I'm going to throw in with the "enjoys new look" faction. Love the unit/general portraits. While I loved the old hand drawn style maps, I really like the newer maps as well. They lose some of the board game/time period-y feel, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. The sleeker interface appeals to me also. But that's just me

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 23
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/13/2013 10:56:36 PM   
bugwar

From what I have seen on the video, the map and counters look fine.

The proof of course will be once I start playing.
I really liked Forge of Freedom, and wanted to like ACW I, but playing it just felt like too steep a learning curve.

(in reply to gexmex)
Post #: 24
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/14/2013 1:53:28 PM   
czert2

how about beta-acces to soem players and let them write aars, and advertise game on that 3 forums?

(in reply to bugwar)
Post #: 25
RE: First impression - disappointing - 8/15/2013 9:39:06 AM   
Emx77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

In reply to Emir Agic, if your force is on assault, it should be able to assaults all structures it encounters in the same turn.

Well, this certainly doesn't happen in AJE. This is well documented in this thread on Ageod forum. I'm not sure for AACW1 (I don't have it installed to check) but some people are saying it is same as in AJE (see post #13 in before mentioned thread).

< Message edited by Emir Agic -- 8/15/2013 9:41:00 AM >

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 26
RE: First impression - disappointing - 9/17/2013 3:10:46 PM   
Templer_12

Hm,...surprised so far.
Found something in the game I like - so far.

(in reply to Emx77)
Post #: 27
RE: First impression - disappointing - 9/17/2013 3:11:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

Let's start a new thread for first impressions based on actually playing the game. Locking this one up.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> First impression - disappointing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI