Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/2/2013 6:11:15 PM   
Andrew Loveridge

Hello All,

We have a new beta build for DW Shadows in the Members Club. It has a number of bug fixes, fixes some rare crashes, and makes adjustments to fleets, as well as other changes.

Please check it out, if you don't mind using a beta build, and let us know how it works for you.

V1.9.0.9 – August 2nd, 2013

Beta Update

CRASH FIXES

- fixed rare crash when generating new troops
      - fixed rare crash related to pirate missions
      - fixed various other crashes

BUG FIXES

- fixed problem where tech breakthroughs were not being applied for ruin encounters, abandoned ships and some other situations
      - fixed mining ships to handle situation when do not have luxury resource extractor components but are mining a planet/moon with luxury resources (i.e. will no longer stall at planet)
      - fixed bug where research locations were not showing in Empire Navigation Tool when your empire had no buildable research station designs
      - now ensure that Retrofit Stance setting is properly applied to new ships and bases from their design (Default Retrofit Stance)
      - fixed problem where ships captured by an enemy were sometimes not being attacked

MILITARY SHIPS, FLEETS AND COMBAT

- groups of military ships (e.g. fleets) are now much better at balancing targetting of multiple enemy threats so that they do not all attack a single enemy. However they will still gang up on an enemy when no other targets are nearby
      - military ships are now much better at firing at nearby enemies even when pursuing other targets
      - unautomated fleets will now always properly honor manual commands and thus will no longer auto-respond to intercept incoming enemy fleets and planet destroyers
      - reduced the frequency that idle auto-controlled fleets refuel when in the same system as refuelling points
      - idle fleets will now always return to home base, regardless of whether the home base is nearby or not

AREA WEAPONS

- epicenter of area weapons is no longer centered on firer. Instead area weapons now fire at target and the damage shockwave expands from the target (similar to area gravity weapons)

GAME BALANCE

- reduced bonuses from most wonders, especially for wonders focused on colony income and empire research

DESIGNS

- changed behavior of "Manually Upgrade Design" button in Designs screen so that previous design not obsoleted unless new design saved
      - if your empire cannot build a design, the reason is now explained in the hover tooltip of the construction Action buttons (when Spaceport selected), e.g. design too big, missing tech

OTHER

- added pirate strength option in Game setup. Decreasing pirate strength makes for an easier game, with pirates closer to the weaker, old-style Legends pirates
      - Ancient Guardians no longer automatically declare war on empires building victory wonders

< Message edited by Andrew Loveridge -- 8/2/2013 6:12:33 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 12:10:01 AM   
flight2q

> - reduced bonuses from most wonders, especially for wonders focused on colony income and empire research

Awesome. Lots of other good stuff too!

(in reply to Andrew Loveridge)
Post #: 2
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 2:43:40 AM   
Titan32

quote:

AREA WEAPONS

- epicenter of area weapons is no longer centered on firer. Instead area weapons now fire at target and the damage shockwave expands from the target (similar to area gravity weapons) ]

Awesome patch, thank you!

(in reply to flight2q)
Post #: 3
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 8:32:02 AM   
Algoritm

quote:

- changed behavior of "Manually Upgrade Design" button in Designs screen so that previous design not obsoleted unless new design saved

Yep, that was definatly a pain when you wanted to manually check your design, cancel and find it dissapeared in the long list of obsoletes.

quote:

- groups of military ships (e.g. fleets) are now much better at balancing targetting of multiple enemy threats so that they do not all attack a single enemy. However they will still gang up on an enemy when no other targets are nearby

And that sounds great

We seek researchers that find, but find researchers that seek.

(in reply to Titan32)
Post #: 4
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 10:26:44 AM   
Starke

Highly approve of all the changes. What disclaimers come with this being a beta build? (should we expect possible bugs or crashes? a stable version of these changes in a week? additional tweaks before the next "full" patch?)

(in reply to Algoritm)
Post #: 5
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 1:55:52 PM   
t1it

Wonders finally nerf'd. Time to pick this up again then...

(in reply to Starke)
Post #: 6
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 2:33:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starke
Highly approve of all the changes. What disclaimers come with this being a beta build? (should we expect possible bugs or crashes? a stable version of these changes in a week? additional tweaks before the next "full" patch?)

There are enough significant changes in this one that we wanted to give it a bit more testing time before declaring it official. It simply means that it is a bit more risky as far as bugs go, but if you are up for giving it a try we would appreciate your feedback to make sure it's ready to be an official update.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Starke)
Post #: 7
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 3:22:18 PM   
ASHBERY76

Because area effect is now relevant should the A.I template design be updated too? They basically ignored the area weapon before.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 5:00:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Agreed, we will get to that as well.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 9
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 5:59:50 PM   
Strat_84

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
Because area effect is now relevant should the A.I template design be updated too? They basically ignored the area weapon before.

Don't put the cart before the horse, the area effect has to work properly first. And with what I've seen I understand better why the patch got a beta sticker.

Even if it was working, I also have mixed feelings about that change.

When several ships are attacking a much bigger target (a space station for example), they usually are all around it. That means an area weapon is really interesting in a defensive use with a blast centered on the ship on which it is installed.
If the blast is centered on a target, I don't expect it to be very efficient, according to the usual placement of ships, and the range of the blast, you often won't hit more than a single ship, two or three if you're very lucky.
The blast on target seems relevant only in particular situations, if the targets are artificially attracted in the blast area (gravitic weapon), or maybe with a very large blast area (super weapon).

Instead, I think an elegant design would be to keep a blast centered on the firering ship as it used to be, and rather work on the AI to make the weapon usable. With 2 main axis to develop:
- Make sure the area weapon doesn't fire if it doesn't do much more damage to enemies than friendlies/neutrals in the area (something that could be adapted to the kind of weapon, for example I often used the ion pulse weapon as it was, it was great at disrupting massive attacks without irreparably harming my ships or neutral civilians)
- Have friendly ships avoiding the dangerous area when a ship/station with area weapons is fighting
And a bonus, if it doesn't already exist: have a minimum distance between automaticaly placed defence stations/spaceports so that they can't shoot each others with area weapons.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 10
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 8:38:57 PM   
Yarasala

Even better, devise a logic that centers the effect on target or origin, whatever has more effect. Actually there should be an option to influence the firing attitude. More evil empires would surely accept more collateral damage than more friendly empires.

(in reply to Strat_84)
Post #: 11
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 9:07:54 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yarasala

Actually there should be an option to influence the firing attitude. More evil empires would surely accept more collateral damage than more friendly empires.

Why? If the concept of good and evil empires was introduced it would make things much more interesting. If a race is evil than wiping out out good empires would be the thing to do and vice-versa, we have the Darkness government and the Light one but it stops there, the only given thing for assuming those governments is the bonuses they give, the empire reputation takes a hit if you step over to the darkside, you can not really play as an evil empire, for example have a look in the F1 Colony screen, in the population tab it will say 'we are proud of our empires good reputation' would be good if your choices could lead to an evil empire like GalCiv, so that if you want penal colonies and nuking planets your empire should then become proud of there evil status. The most wanted and asked for thing on the wish list for DW is the policy for individual races, so you can enslave bugs but leave others alone for example and with that in mind you could then enslave / exterminate the 'good' races, bolstering your evil reputation.

Darkspire

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 12
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 9:59:10 PM   
Yarasala

Ok, you are right in that the difference between "good" and "evil" is not very significant in the current version of the game. But perhaps that changes some time in the future, especially since it's so prominent on the wish list. I too have the opinion that the differences between the races are not pronounced enough.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 13
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/3/2013 11:53:27 PM   
Plant

Not sure if this is the right place to say this, but in this test patch, I have noticed that newly built ships don't automatically fill up their shields quickly when built. instead tey start at 0 and slowly recharge at default rate.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 14
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/4/2013 2:21:04 AM   
Demonius

Hasnt it been this way since the very start?

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 15
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/4/2013 3:16:24 AM   
Cauldyth

Always been that way to the best of my knowledge.

(in reply to Demonius)
Post #: 16
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/4/2013 11:21:25 AM   
Jeeves

Always been that way, but if you design with an energy collector early, then reactors, then shields, the shields will often be charged by the time the ship builds.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 17
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/4/2013 5:48:52 PM   
Plant

Silly me, I shouldn't post when sleepy. Guess I designed differently from normal.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 18
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/4/2013 11:08:58 PM   
jamthree

There has kinda been a long standing issue with private sector ships taking forever to retrofit to a new design but it seems really bad with 1.9. I watched my mining ships after an upgrade and one did it with about 3 months and the other one still hadn't gone in for a refit after 3 years.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 19
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/4/2013 11:41:44 PM   
Trev_lite

i scrapped a research base while a scientist was transferring to another research station and he was killed because of the scrapping.
i thought that this bug was fixed. also he was no longer at that base, he was on route to my new research station.

(in reply to jamthree)
Post #: 20
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/5/2013 6:00:16 AM   
Kobracan

This may not be a 1.9.0.9 issue necessarily but I started two games as a Classic empire (all default settings, both games random, I rolled Ackdarian and Kiadian) and in both games there is another empire of my race "literally right next" to my homeworld. Is this a coincidence, a bug with the map generator or some "new feature" of the game I am not aware of?

(in reply to Trev_lite)
Post #: 21
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/5/2013 6:08:06 AM   
Rabble

As far as i know you can only select this option (how far they spawn) for pirates not other empires.

(in reply to Kobracan)
Post #: 22
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/5/2013 6:15:40 AM   
dostillevi

Very happy to see the focus fire issues addressed, and even happier to see fleets returning to their bases regardless of distance and non-automated ships doing what they're told. These things alone will make the game 100% more playable and enjoyable for me (and I already enjoy it quite a bit)!

Thank you for continuing to maintain this excellent game and for listening to players in the bug reports section :)

(in reply to Rabble)
Post #: 23
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/5/2013 7:45:13 AM   
Trev_lite

i found another bug. when my defense base is large so that it can only be built at colonies i am no longer able to build it by selecting the colony. i could build it by the construction yard menu.
the auto design also did not design defense bases larger than the max base size and when the most recent design was large i could not upgrade the bases (had to scrap them and build anew)

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 24
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/5/2013 2:55:03 PM   
jamthree

Ok so I played a lot this weekend and I kept checking the retrofit issue and it definitely seems to be a problem regardless of private sector income. I am manually creating all my designs and all state ships are set to manual upgrade and automatic retrofit.

I also noticed another strange problem where at the start of games the initial pirate encounter prompts you for protection then immediately raids your colony, when his happened a second time I started testing game starts and it happens over 50% of the time, not sure if this is intended if so it would be weird. Also the amounts for protection seem to be off, your now getting requests for protection in the 200-400 range even the initial pirate encounter. Although in some game starts the intial can go back up to 800-1200, subsequent protection agreements all seem to fall in the 200-400 range.

(in reply to Trev_lite)
Post #: 25
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/6/2013 1:34:00 AM   
Kobracan

Rabble, yes that's true. I know that. However, the issue here is two games in a row I got another empire of my own race literally right next to me. I was wondering if that was a bug since you'd have to be extremely unlucky to have that happen.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rabble

As far as i know you can only select this option (how far they spawn) for pirates not other empires.

(in reply to Rabble)
Post #: 26
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/6/2013 5:05:25 PM   
Larsenex

I found a minor bug.

I am human and purchased the Ikuro repair bot. I also have the first tier of that line researched Prior to my purchasing this great bot from the Ikuro I used the regular 1rst tier which I think is SF22 and only gives dmg reduction.

After I got the Ikuro one I went and upgraded all my ships and bases. I LEFT the old bot in the designs and added the new and mighty Ikuro one to all my ships and bases.

Several hours into the game I upgraded and noticed that I no longer had the Ikuro one but rather TWO of the older first tier model. In fact all of my designs had two of the older one.

I don't know if this is cosmetic or is a bug but I thought I would mention it here.

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.

(in reply to Kobracan)
Post #: 27
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/6/2013 6:36:20 PM   
dostillevi

Kobracan, I think what you are experiencing are independent colonies of your race becoming empires. You will often start with independent alien worlds of your race near your starting world, and these do become spacefaring empires if they are left alone long enough. My thinking on this is that the extended time spent pre-warp isn't accounted for by the game logic that determines whether an independent colony has been around long enough to become an empire, resulting in many empires of the same race. If you don't like this, turn down the appearance of independent alien life.

It fits fairly well with the story though, that there are numerous isolated colonies of each race, each just beginning to take its first steps into space again. Your colony isn't the only one of your race that is emerging, and really I like the flavor of having same race empires.. many space games just assume each race is wholly united, as if all our human issues disappear as soon as we realize we aren't alone in the universe.

(in reply to Kobracan)
Post #: 28
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/6/2013 10:22:50 PM   
Kobracan

Thanks dostillevi. I think that is a good theory. However, whatever the reason is, the game starting me next to another empire of my own race is unexpected and wrong. I assume the developers didn't intend that. Don't get me wrong, I like independent colonies forming empires and I like meeting them somewhere else later on. What's happening here though is not that. I select a classic empire game in the classic age (which was basically the default pre-Shadows expansion) and the game puts an empire of my own race right next to me. I would also be OK with if this happened very rarely but it happened to me twice in a row.

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 29
RE: New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows - 8/7/2013 3:48:24 AM   
Starke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kobracan

Thanks dostillevi. I think that is a good theory. However, whatever the reason is, the game starting me next to another empire of my own race is unexpected and wrong.

I've noticed in my games that the galaxy generation has a strong preference for placing any independent populations of race A near the true empire of race A. I wish there was a setting to allow for fully random placement, but it helps explain what happened here. One of the nearby independents became a full-fledged empire - though it's possible there's a bug with the requirements for that conversion causing it to happen more often than intended.

< Message edited by Starke -- 8/7/2013 3:49:33 AM >

(in reply to Kobracan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> New Public Beta v1.9.0.9 for DW Shadows Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI