Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Re: Re: good ole days?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Re: Re: good ole days? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: Re: good ole days? - 12/22/2002 9:05:27 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpstafford
[B]Game don't need no stinkin' graphics. If you want graphics, go play "Age of Bill Gates Wonders" and leave the wargames to wargamers!!!!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

This is plain stupid. I tell you, I´m playing wargames for some time now and despite a good gameplay graphics were allways a point to actually buy the game. Do you even think sombody that picks up the game box out of curiousity will buy the game if he sees "text only" on the screenshots ??? No, he will not, not wil you attract new gamers to this genre. And we need new guys here just for the mere reason to keep wargaming alive through sales. It´s easy maths , no sales, no money nobody doing wargames, no wargames, no games for you.

My personal oppinion is that most wargaming companies don´t emphasize enough on eye candy. That was/is IMHO one reason for the dying market for wargaming. Not every grog is a dusty sheet and numbers analyzer. Alot play wargames to get emerged into the thrill of battle and like a kind of role playing. Nice graphics, animations, sounds and original footage do add to this immensily.

As for UV, I would have liked more eye candy on it but the engine has it´s limits as sad as it is.

The "real wargamers need no eye-candy" attitude is exactly what will kill this genre for the PC and you´ll end up with board games only one day. Not that board games are bad, but very hard to play over the internet ;)

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 31
Re: Re: Re: good ole days? - 12/22/2002 9:41:19 PM   
Pawlock

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]This is plain stupid. I tell you, I´m playing wargames for some time now and despite a good gameplay graphics were allways a point to actually buy the game. Do you even think sombody that picks up the game box out of curiousity will buy the game if he sees "text only" on the screenshots ??? No, he will not, not wil you attract new gamers to this genre. And we need new guys here just for the mere reason to keep wargaming alive through sales. It´s easy maths , no sales, no money nobody doing wargames, no wargames, no games for you.

My personal oppinion is that most wargaming companies don´t emphasize enough on eye candy. That was/is IMHO one reason for the dying market for wargaming. Not every grog is a dusty sheet and numbers analyzer. Alot play wargames to get emerged into the thrill of battle and like a kind of role playing. Nice graphics, animations, sounds and original footage do add to this immensily.

As for UV, I would have liked more eye candy on it but the engine has it´s limits as sad as it is.

The "real wargamers need no eye-candy" attitude is exactly what will kill this genre for the PC and you´ll end up with board games only one day. Not that board games are bad, but very hard to play over the internet ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Its really refreshing to see you guy's at Matrix/2by3 arnt stuck in a time warp. I too would class myself as a "Wargamer", but according to a FEW, I cant call myself that cos I do like Eye Candy and everything that goes with it.

Trying not to get personnal, but the guy your obviously referring to in your reply has for a better word ,"got his head stuck so far up his ***, he cant see the wood for the trees" .

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 32
Re: Re: Re: good ole days? - 12/23/2002 12:28:42 AM   
VictorH

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]This is plain stupid. I tell you, I´m playing wargames for some time now and despite a good gameplay graphics were allways a point to actually buy the game. Do you even think sombody that picks up the game box out of curiousity will buy the game if he sees "text only" on the screenshots ??? No, he will not, not wil you attract new gamers to this genre. And we need new guys here just for the mere reason to keep wargaming alive through sales. It´s easy maths , no sales, no money nobody doing wargames, no wargames, no games for you.

The "real wargamers need no eye-candy" attitude is exactly what will kill this genre for the PC and you´ll end up with board games only one day. Not that board games are bad, but very hard to play over the internet ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Marc,

You misunderstood my remark about "eye-candy". I'm not advocating text only wargames. I just don't think 3-D or even Command & Conquer type graphics are necessary(or even appreciated in my case) in a game such as UV or any other board game for that matter. I'm happy with graphics such as those in the Panzer Campaign series, Europa Universalis, and even the older games like War in Russia. These are all boardgame type formats, I don't need to see aircraft explode on the deck of an aircraft carrier and crew men running around in flames screaming!

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 33
- 12/23/2002 1:25:30 AM   
Marc von Martial

3D is not a matter of "eye-candy" but of if you think that an 3 dimensional enviroment is applicable for your game. Even if it looks like 2D it still can be a 3D engine under the hood. You would be surprised how many "2D" games work that way.

Command and Conquer stlye graphics, well I personally wouldn´t make this state of the art ;).

Of course nobody here would even think about having crewmen on fire or such stuff. That´s part of the 2D action RTS business. But people here "complain" about the eye candy in UVs "Combat Animations". Well, I think we´re far away here from an action RTS set but yet it helps to invision the battle going on and (whats even more important) attract people to the game that are not "typicall" spreadsheet wargamers. I personally would love to have it more "action based" in the graphics department. After all you would still able to turn it off if you don´t like it.

I have the distinct feeling that some of our "real" wargamers here are in fear that the eye candy fraction or "flash-bang kids" will be dealt with more then the realism and historical accuracy fraction. Don´t worry guys, you can combine both if you want.

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 34
Well... - 12/23/2002 6:36:22 AM   
pasternakski

First, I think y'all are being too hard on dpstafford, whose post invokes the classic line from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" in an obvious hyperbolic sally into ironic humor, the victim of which could be just about any of us and our silly beliefs. My guess is that he's just trying to suggest the same thing most of us are saying here, that graphics and audio of any kind are only desirable as they enhance the playability of the game and add a REASONABLE amount of "kick" to the game experience.

I also agree completely with what VictorH has suggested in his posts, that utility is good, fluff is not. Perfectly reasonable, as far as I'm concerned.

I believe from your statements, Marc, that you feel pretty much the same way, and that Matrix/2by3 is not about to wander off into the XBox wilderness.

If, however, the indication is that the emphasis is going to shift from precisely designed, intellectually challenging historical simulations to "graphics and gee whiz rule, man" principles, I can only refer you to my initial post on this thread that attempts to depict the sorry history of computer wargaming when cute conquered competent and stimulation overrode simulation, all in a failed attempt to improve sales. This, as I see it, will never be more than a niche market. You can't afford to lose the "niche-niks" who are already on your side in pursuit of an uncertain and ill-defined market. I wish you success and hope you'll be around feeding my computer wargaming habit for a long time.

The early games, like Grigsby's Carrier Force and War in the South Pacific, were marvels to me because they had to work within the constraints of 40k of computer memory and those 5 1/4" floppies plugged into what didn't amount to much more than a pitiful portable picnic record player. Before long, half a megabyte was available to designers, and things got real sloppy. Economy of effort and conciseness of design got lost. So, we got such things as maps with individual search planes crawling around on them like a bunch of ants and making no sense at all in their reports. When carrier combat took place, you got a half dozen stock videos showing explosions, planes flying about willy-nilly, sailors' faces with panic-stricken looks on them, and the rest of that nonsense. Now that gigabyte-sized games are possible, what do you do with all that power? I say, "Devote your efforts to improving the game." If that also means improvement in video and audio, great, but the game's the thing, as far as I'm concerned.

UV has done a good job with its visuals and audio. Remember, though, the discussions that took place soon after UV v. 1.0 came out over the "disappointing" nature of the visual representation of surface battles, with what I call the "junior high school dance" configuration (the boys line up against one wall and the girls line up against the other one and nobody crosses the middle of the dance floor). At that time, in response to a player's suggestion (modestly advanced by yours truly, of all people), Matrix took the position that more "realistic" depiction of surface battles was not in the cards, because what you were seeing on the screen was just about what was happening in the code. Okay, I'm cool with that.

Anybody noticed anything funny about the relative sizes of aircraft in the aerial combat screen? If a B-17 is a heavy bomber, P-39s must be the size of the alien mothership in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

And so on. These things do not bother your dedicated players of UV (and firm believers in Matrix/2by3), because we are more interested in playing, not watching.

Of course, I agree that Matrix/2by3 should be on the cutting edge in all aspects of computer game design. I have suggested in the past that I would like to see you on this edge with regard to AI design, which I think would be a far more fruitful area of endeavor than creating prettified graphics and "gee whiz" noises (by the way, has anybody else had his submarines attacking to the sound of a fighter plane making a shooting pass?).

I just hope that priorities remain in reasonable order and that future designs are not adversely affected by concentration of effort on peripheral, not central, concerns that can stand in the way of effective simulation design.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 35
- 12/23/2002 6:44:44 AM   
Piiska

Don’t know about eye candy, but I could use some mind candy :)

I too belong to the category of war gamers that are very quick on skipping the eye candy in favour of getting into the business so to speak. However, I do like immersion and feeling of being there which can be created by the use of eye candy among other tricks.

I was just thinking that if Matrix decides to improve the player immersion for WITP, then perhaps one thing they could do, is to put newsflashes in form of old newspapers after significant battles. For example, if old newspapers telling about sinking of carriers could be found, they could be used as a template to report losses of capital ships in game. Similarly, if newspapers about the battles of Midway, Okinawa, Wake and such could be found, they could be used to report losses and gains of bases. Even better, if there are old newsreels somewhere available they could be used, but then there would of course be copyright issues and such and finding them could also be hard work.

I don’t know about you guys, but I think it would be cool to have newspapers popping up once a blue moon to praise or judge your war efforts for immersion’s sake. Maybe some fans here with lots of historical knowledge might be able to help finding suitable articles… And if such feature could be added with reasonable effort, it could improve the gaming experience.

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 36
Didn't know what I was starting! lol - 12/23/2002 9:01:08 AM   
BigJoe417

All great points really!

I think the game designers did a GREAT job all in all. You can combine both more so called eye candy graphics with the terrific game play that already exists. I think the newspaper headlines grahics idea is great too. Also the idea about short video clips when major ports get captured or the Enterprise sinks maybe.
I think even more than 3d graphics what I enjoy is a good story, following the growth of characters. So thats why I think the newspaper headlines idea could add to the game. I'd like to see a historical database file you could access to read about the leaders in the game.

Hey guys, please bare with me with this question as I am still new to this game. What good is the Mc Aurther HQ unit? How does one best use it?

Thanks for all the great input on this thread.

Joe

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 37
- 1/12/2003 2:39:37 PM   
gamer1958

I like UV better each time I play it. This is the first computer game I've purchased in years, and I was impressed with it, so I will in all likelihood be a repeat Matrix customer in the future.

As for price, $50 is a bargain. I'm an old throwback to the 1970s boardgame era, and I was a big buyer of Avalon Hill issues. AH went out of business a few years back, but I wish I'd held on to most of those games, as they're only available today on e-Bay at 5-6 times (or more) the original prices.

The suggestion of enhanced graphics, newsreels, 3D effects, etc: IMHO, it doesn't belong in a strategy game where most grognards are more concerned with historical accuracy and the challenge of changing the course of history, as well as the gratification of seeing their own "warplans" succeed or fail....

I guess I rather like the game as is.

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 38
- 1/12/2003 3:38:43 PM   
Drongo

To help attract the kiddies (without using lollies or flash bang graphics),

Maybe you could add deposits of Tiberium to the UV map for the 2 sides to fight over (who would now be known as GUI and NOD). Would that be breaching any copyrights?

Just a thought.

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 39
- 1/13/2003 7:36:07 AM   
XPav

To appeal to a wider audience, UV doesn't need stupid sci-fi additions or cutscenes or 3d graphics.

It just needs a better interface.

I love it when a plan comes together.

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 40
NO NO You've all got it wrong! - 1/13/2003 1:17:01 PM   
Veldor

The happy median to me between the "super historical accuracy/graphics dont matter" people and the "command & conquer 3D and graphics is everything care nothing about reality and historical accuracy"... is to simply use graphics where they can help improve the interface of the game. For instance, close combat allowed you to have a selectable "highlight" around each unit to indicate its level of damage/fatigue/disruption/etc... Id list other examples but you get the point. UV has a nice interface but I really think it could be taken much much further... I think the UV interface as is is not sufficient for a WITP sized game and I've had trouble as it is getting others to try UV due to its obnoxious looking interface. I don't think we need 3D here and I don't care much about animations... but to get back to the "highlight" example.. if you had an actual 2D or even 3D ship image for the TF.. then you would see damage level etc.. just one more way to use graphics to help communicate info in the game..
Also..as I like to point out...TOOOOOOOOOO much emphasis and time is being wasted on historical accuracy in development... NO way do that many players care about that... If you wanted to TRULY make UV/WITP historically accurate, you would force each player to make the same moves and decisions as were historically made, and all combat outcomes/weather/ and so on would perfectly mirror what happened... ID personally like more variables across the board... Who says the Allies cant get a second argonaut sometimes? Or that a particular ship had less or more AA... mix things up a bit... its not "historically accurate" that we know EXACTLY what we are up against...

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 41
- 1/13/2003 11:10:56 PM   
Yamamoto

Having a couple of different, random, animations for each level of damage to ships might be nice. Currently, all of the animations of smoke loop around in the same amount of time. This creates a very noticeable effect when there are several ships burning in the same screen. I’d like to see different animations so each one looped back to the beginning a little differently. Then when you had 10 ships burning the looping wouldn’t look quite so obvious.

Yamamoto

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 42
- 1/14/2003 5:45:56 AM   
crsutton

Well, in my own experience, I found the graphics to UV appealing but not overly exciting. Kind of plain. I was a fan of the old Avalon Hill "Flattop" and suspect that Gary played it a few times himself. The game has that sort of feel to it.

I was worried that with the simple graphics that I might eventually grow bored with UV and started out playing it only on occasion for that reason. The game has now grown on me and I love it to death. The detail is awesome and it is the best game-board or computer, on my favorite subject.

Let me just say that I also loved "Fighting Steel" and Great Naval Battles"-both real time games that allowed you to play both on the strategic and tactical levels-to the point of micro managing your own vessels. Very nice games with good graphics for their day, but buggy and poorly supported by their companies. If only they had the kind of support and dedication that Matrix gives. I resolved never to by a computer wargame from a large company after that. And have held to my promise.

I do love my UV. I would like to see my bombers hit a carrier with "planes on deck" once in a while though. Would be a nice little feature.

`

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 43
- 1/14/2003 6:04:01 AM   
BigJoe417

Wouldn't it be great to see a combination of Fighting Steel and UV? I think it would. You could actually opt to direct a naval battle in real time if you liked.

Fly High and Drop a big load,
BigJoe
420th Bomber Sqdn

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Re: Re: good ole days? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI