Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nit Picking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Nit Picking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nit Picking - 8/9/2013 1:29:28 PM   
LoneWulf63

As most of you know, I don't complain about the JTCS system. However, wouldn't it be better if the infantry were more in scale with the vehicles in the game? Would it be possible to resize the infantry units using a image editor or would this create more problems than solutions? Just wondering. Chris.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.
Post #: 1
RE: Nit Picking - 8/9/2013 6:57:55 PM   
navwarcol

To tell the truth I usually use the NATO symbols. Wanted to see what you were talking about here, so I did the 3-d..and it is kind of funny...

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
Post #: 2
RE: Nit Picking - 8/9/2013 7:33:14 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

As most of you know, I don't complain about the JTCS system. However, wouldn't it be better if the infantry were more in scale with the vehicles in the game? Would it be possible to resize the infantry units using a image editor or would this create more problems than solutions? Just wondering. Chris.

We maybe don't resize because:

• "Each 'hex' represents 250 meters" (quoting the Manual). In 3D, everything is out of scale. Vehicles are oversized. Vehicles are oversized compared to structures. Structures are oversized. Village huts are oversized compared to factories, which themselves are oversized. Infantry are oversized relative to vehicles. Aircraft are the size of Death Stars. Stand-alone leaders are goliaths. And let's not forget that each vehicle and/or soldier actually represents multiple-vehicle/soldier platoons. Et cetera, et cetera. (If we were to depict stand-alone leaders to scale, for instance, in a 250 meter-wide hex they would show as -- what? -- a single pixel?) It's just the way it is.
  • If we reduce the size of the infantry units any further, they -- especially some of the specialty types, with gear such as machine guns -- would be a shapeless, formless mass of pixels, even more so than currently. There are limits to the detail that current display technology can portray in so small a (hex) space.
  • Resizing so many unit types across so many nationalities across 3-5 games -- it would be a huge amount of effort!

So we compromise, we ignore the absurdities, we just use our imaginations.

< Message edited by berto -- 8/9/2013 9:21:16 PM >

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
    Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
    Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
  • Post #: 3
    RE: Nit Picking - 8/9/2013 10:13:09 PM   
    LoneWulf63

As I thought, more of a hassle than worth doing. Berto, I know what a tremendous amount of work you and the other members of the dev team have and continue to do for the JTCS system but maybe the answer is an entirely new game. Again, I am not complaining about the JTCS system and it will always be one of my all-time favorite computer war-games but she is beginning to show her age, even with the patches. Thank you for your input. Chris.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Nit Picking - 8/10/2013 3:08:35 PM   
    Josh

+1 with Berto here, reducing the size would make the units very small, I remember a game where I could see very tiny "strips of metal" I thought what the heck is that? Turned out to be bicycles without the soldiers, needless to say it was very very small and tiny, hardly noticeable. So more reducing would make things even harder for my eyes.
    An entire new game you say... well who knows? After all after many *many* years Steel Panthers finally gets a overhaul, much like Panzer Corps I hope. Same game only totally new. So in that sense maybe JTCS will see a rebirth as well?? Best thing about this game that even for absolute beginners it's very easy to get into. No difficult OOB or command and supply rules. As we all know the new PC was a huge success, maybe a new JTCS will be a success as well.

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
    Post #: 5
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Nit Picking Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI