Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Got ta know when to walk away,

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Got ta know when to walk away, Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Got ta know when to walk away, - 12/18/2002 10:04:07 AM   
Tomanbeg

Didn't do much this turn. Got enough smoke out to start to degrade that 50+hex LOS of yours. Now I have to see how you are going to play this. I spotted a Special Ops squad about 6 turns ago, only he was back at your start line. But I'm starting to think that his budies made it to my rear areas. I KIA'd another SS rifle squad. That cleared a lot of astricks, so Maybe I'm finally getting some of the spotters you have laying doggo on your right flank. I really can't do anything until I win the recon battle. So for now I have to blow smoke and dig in. Make you either pull back or come fight in the smoke. I'm gonna be a little slow for the rest of the week. I tried installing H2H and screwed something up. My files got all catawampus and I had to go through by hand and put them in the right place. So I'm about 7 tuns behind now. What suks is I don't think H2H even installed.
T.

Attachment (1)

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

(in reply to TheOverlord)
Post #: 31
- 12/18/2002 10:19:11 AM   
TheOverlord

Catawumpus does not mix well with pc's....

Dont worry about the pace. I cant always do the turn a night thing, and playing a couple of games can easily chew up an evening...especially if you think it through way too much like I do.

I downloaded h2h as well but have been reading mixed reports on it so I have not installed it. Goblin's comments about upgraded prices and down graded guns for German equipment is disheartening...

I am leaning towards sticking with WAW for now...

As for my spotters, I would appreciate it if you would just leave them alone. :cool: They are innocent bystanders. Besides, there are always more.... :D

I will try to get to the turn in the morning and post it back....too tired at the moment to conduct warfare.... :(

Post #: 32
H2H - 12/19/2002 1:28:33 AM   
Tomanbeg

I read the blurb for H2H and my first thought was that they were screwing up all the things Matrix did right and leaving the errors by Matrix alone. Then I played a game(yes you can play H2H vs WaW, if you don't mind Magnoit line forts driving around shooting 88's at you). I was playing Soviets vs Nazi's and so I didn't really get a good look at the advertised differences. Most seem to be lit bits of historical floatsum that will be argued over for the next 2 centuries. Sort of like when the sleeve of a Tercio went from 64 to 72 men. Not sure any of it matters though. Everyone claims they are the ones that are being historically accutrate, but historians make a mediocre living arguing over just what the history is. When we are done with this public dog and pony show, Lets swap sides and play again. I'll use the Mk-IIIh's and j's that were the heart of the Panzer troops in the summer of '42 with a few Marders and Towed 50mm ATG's and lots of infantry that the Germans used in the drive to the Caucasian Mountains. With C&C off, I should lose, With it on, I should win. The germans were the best at using time and space as weapons. But for Time and Space to come into play, C&C has to be on. With it off, military speed is just who has the most Movement Points. With it on, it becomes who can get their troops organized, pointed and off in the right direction fastest. Which is very historical.
T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
[IMG]http

Post #: 33
? - 12/19/2002 5:48:16 AM   
TheOverlord

Hey T - the turn you posted is asking for the Soviet password....

Hehehe - I know what you mean about "historically accurate". It all really comes back to the point of view of the historian doing the talking. They usually can never aggree on all points of an event. Human nature I suppose.

I am not as up to speed on all aspects of the history as I would like to be. I am pretty good with the wepons themselves rather than the actual dates of apperance, numbers in service etc. and of the general flow of events and the major battles, but not with most of the smaller ones.

I would be up for playing a game with C&C on. I have only messed with it vs the computer but I think I have a good enough grasp on it to give it a whirl. I wouldnt mind taking the Soviets either. That would be a great challenge!

I am pretty much up for any sort battle - I just like to play!

Post #: 34
- 12/19/2002 6:32:57 AM   
Tomanbeg

We will try it. C&C is more a state of mind then anything else. The only time it becomes important is when you have been out manuvered and out thought, at which point it can turn a mild problem into a diaster. Try this one. I have been having file problems as I mentioned.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 35
turn wont post - 12/20/2002 6:31:27 PM   
TheOverlord

The thread wont take my turn posting.
Seems like it loads but the post is never created....

Ever seen that before??

I will try again from work.

Post #: 36
another try - 12/20/2002 9:40:16 PM   
TheOverlord

German forces work on securing the north west quadrant of the map (just not
enough to go around..) From the center vh back to the GE rear vh, and from
the center vh to the north vh is secure. Tigers are spread out to add some
puch to the PzIVg and infantry picket line.

Soviet T34s are snuggling into defensive position all to the east and laying
down smoke.

The soviet infantry wave advancing on the center vh is mg'ed some more,
destroying a couple of squads and inflicting casualties. Arty continues to
rain don on them. Their T34 support is still a turn or two behind and
taking cover, after a half dozen of their number were destroyed at the last
attempt to advance.

Soviet forces continue to probe against the southern edge of the German
picket line, towards the rear vh. Reports estimate a tankrider company with
recon support. A Tiger is brought in to keep watch as Panzers reinforce the
line.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 37
And Know when to run. - 12/22/2002 6:35:39 AM   
Tomanbeg

Hi Olord,
Not much of a turn for me. I am looking to see if you left a corner loose somewhere that I can pry open to get inside your fire zones. More smoke. I tried to not leave you to many shots but you still have a couple of easy kills this turn. Got to feed the Tigers, or they will start looking to get out of their cage.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 38
turn wont post - 12/22/2002 9:19:50 AM   
TheOverlord

Scheisse!!

I am a victim of the problem going around that folks cant post turns. I keep getting bumped to a plain white page.

If you like, I can send you the turn directly and post the aar here, or I can try posting it again on monday from work - I was able to do so on friday from my work pc.

Which ever you are more comfortable with is fine with me!

Post #: 39
Re: turn wont post - 12/22/2002 12:03:18 PM   
Tomanbeg

Originally posted by TheOverlord
[B]Scheisse!!

I am a victim of the problem going around that folks cant post turns. I keep getting bumped to a plain white page.

If you like, I can send you the turn directly and post the aar here, or I can try posting it again on monday from work - I was able to do so on friday from my work pc.

Which ever you are more comfortable with is fine with me! [/B]

It don't matter to me. It seems like this forum is picking up in volumn. I'v started another game thru here, but I'm not sure I like it. This is a little to public for me. If nothing is said, what is the point of posting here? If I go into detail, it throws the game off. It's hard to suprise some one when you tell them your plans. But if the turn commentary consists of "Killed something. Your turn". I'm not sure there is a point, except maybe notching up the post counter. I'm trying to get my Post per day average down, not up.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 40
- 12/22/2002 11:53:26 PM   
TheOverlord

I sort of enjoy reading others details - it gives an idea of others tactics which might come in handy if I ever wind up playing them.

As for giving up plans, I dont give any details unless it is obvious or something that you will see in the playback anyways.

Anyhow, the turn wont post, so if you like you can send me your email at [email]TheOverlord@snet.net[/email] and I will send the turn directly.

Post #: 41
- 12/23/2002 5:32:39 AM   
TheOverlord

Sent turn directly..

A T34 is spotted to the north......we shall deal with him....later

A Tiger feeds on a T34.......

Reports say there were approximately 2 companies of infantry marching towards the center vh. One to the north of a rode, another to the south. The norther company has been taking a beating, and GE armor and Mc units do some serious damage - 6 infantry units and a DSHK are destroyed / dispersed. That should take most of the danger out of the northern company, which was also the closed to the vh.

Soviet units continue to probe towards the rear vh, but with tiger and panzers getting in position, they may be persuaded to probe elsewhere...

Oh, and thanks for all the smoke! :p

Post #: 42
Never count your money - 12/24/2002 11:49:59 AM   
Tomanbeg

Hi Olord,
Not much this turn. I am moving cautiously forward. For you rookies that means I never move out of concelment without having the mp's to move back if I'm spotted. Sometimes that means moving back and trying again next turn. Olord has had enough target practice at my expense. I got a bunch of smoke down this turn. If I can get another turn of smoke like this one next turn, I can be a little bolder. I set three traps this turn. If one works I can start to unravel his defense net. If none work, I'll try agin next turn. I have 14 more turns before I need to get desperate.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 43
- 12/27/2002 1:08:10 AM   
TheOverlord

Hmmmm.....
His traps may be engineers laying mines. I spotted one team doing just that and destroyed it. Another was spotted and casualties were inflicted.

As for the infantry wave, 3 more squads and a dshk are dispersed north of the center east west road, just to the east of the center vh (currently GE controlled).

A few shots are taken at a T34, but the only damage was the crew dropping a vodka bottle.

Post #: 44
while sitting at the table - 12/27/2002 10:34:45 AM   
Tomanbeg

Yes, that was one trap. I have had my eye on that Tiger since it pulled up there 3 turns ago. I figured since you hadn't spotted me and I was dug in and waiting, when you moved forward to the tree line I would get a chance to close assault you Tiger with engineers while its moving through the woods. Then I was gonna try for the Pz-IVg with the other engineer when it came to help the Tiger. I just can't get a break, the smoke I had ordered didn't show up, you spotted my ambush, and now you are counterbattrying my mortars. But that is OK, 2 more turns of smoke and it should be thick enough to move out my T-34's. I did get a SS squad and a MG34 along with a truck. A poor return for 2 engineer squads, but Mars has not been kind to me for a couple of turns now, so I'll take what crumbs I can get.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 45
whoops - 12/27/2002 10:36:12 AM   
Tomanbeg

forgot the turn again!

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 46
sorry - 12/28/2002 10:06:16 PM   
TheOverlord

Sorry about the slow turn around rate on turns for me this week.
Dang holidays keep me running around and keeping me away from my troops....

Next week should be back to normal for me.

I will try to squeeze in this turn this weekend...but it is not looking good.

Post #: 47
Re: sorry - 12/29/2002 3:18:41 AM   
Tomanbeg

Originally posted by TheOverlord
[B]Sorry about the slow turn around rate on turns for me this week.
Dang holidays keep me running around and keeping me away from my troops....

Next week should be back to normal for me.

I will try to squeeze in this turn this weekend...but it is not looking good. [/B]

Don't worry about it. My best christmas present was the Civ III my brother got. That let him give me back my CD. So I've put in about 40 hours on Civ III since Wed night. I have at least 4 WaW turns sitting and waiting for me to play them. But It's 1918 and I'm the Japs. I have 7 wonders and I'm leading on points. I have hit a snag though. I have no Coal and I can't develop Ironclads w/o it. I have the 12 opponents left( I took out the rest) all at war with me and It's gonna be tuff holding on for the win with just wooden ships, riflemen and Samuri. Darn game is addictive.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 48
- 12/29/2002 11:46:46 PM   
TheOverlord

Ah yes, another soul sucking game....there is no escape!

Northern units engage a T34 and tank rider squad that is getting too close for comfort. The T34 is hit twice and damaged, but not killed. The tank rider crew disables a HT, with no casualties inflicted on it :mad:

On a personal note, my dang ht's keep breaking down. At least 4 in this game....

IN the center, an infantry squad is dispersed and ge units settle back in to wait and see what Ivan has in store for them next.

A T-34 to the south pokes its nose out of the woods and is destroyed by a PzIVg!

At the rear ge vh, 2 snooping soviet mtcy squads are dispatched, removing most of the * my units back there have had. PzIII reinforcemnts and a Tiger are in postion to cover the rear.

Back to Tomanbeg!

Post #: 49
There will be time enough for counting, - 1/4/2003 8:13:52 AM   
Tomanbeg

I took a few pot shots this turn. I need to have something for you to shoot at next turn. Unfortunatly, I think I left you to many shots. That was a good shot by that Mk-IVg. 32 hexes was it and a front hull kill on a T-34. I Knew I would get shot at, but I didn't think you would get enough penetration out of your 75. And I see you have pulled back your Tigers. That is ok, I have a plan for which ever way you go. And since neither plan will work, it doesn't really matter, does it. I reached the file size limit, so I'll send the files by email.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 50
- 1/5/2003 12:20:35 AM   
TheOverlord

In the north, the T34 is located and a duel begins between 2 PzIV's the T34......T34 eventualy looses and a tankodesantniki squad is dispersed.

In the middle and south east corner of the Ge picket line, a total of 5 T34s are picked off, and another engineer squad is dispatched.

Soviet steel workers do their jobs well.........MANY shells bounce off T34 hulls......their were a large number of targets in sight, I would of liked more than 6.....blast that armor!!

:mad:

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer. "
-Major Holdridge

Post #: 51
When the dealing is done. - 1/6/2003 7:59:56 AM   
Tomanbeg

I counted anyway, just because I am that sort of guy. If the game was to end right now it would be around 7000 for Olord and 4000 for me. Close enough so that a unit or two could make the difference. So I am going to run off and hide. I will be more then happy to escape with fighting 150% of the Tiger production of German to a draw. And if I can not do anything stupid again, like charging out from behind the smoke into massed 88 fire, then I should be able to hold on to a draw.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 52
- 1/6/2003 7:14:47 PM   
TheOverlord

Soviet forces are spotted withdrawing accross the line....for now.

Some crewmembers are mopped up and infantry mix it up in the smoke in the center.

Pot shots are taken at a couple of visible T34s but no damage done.

A 76.2mm AT gun is spotted to the north. Trying to figure out what to do about that....

I wish I had 150% of the Tigers!!!
I only have 3 sections.
Those 6 Tigers have saved my butt this game. They are "my precious..."

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 53
Slight of hand - 1/7/2003 3:41:39 AM   
Tomanbeg

You are doing a masterful job with those handfull of Tigers(yes all my relatives have 6 fingers per hand. My great-great-great grandfather invented the 6 pack so the rest of the world could share our blessing). But by playing for the draw, I change the formula. Now you have to get 200 points per turn more to offset my control of the 2 v-hexes in the south. So as long as I can avoid losing units, I can force the draw. Col. Pugovkin won't get his star, but he might avoid a vist from Major Headshotovich. And maybe I'll get lucky and one of those Tigers will have a breakdown while zooming from firing position to firing position. All I have to do is sneak one crew or infantry unit to tommy's and the point ratio will undergo a positive adjustment.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 54
- 1/8/2003 8:15:07 AM   
TheOverlord

In the north, some damage is done to the crew of the at gun at the cost of a truck (dumb move on my part...:rolleyes: )

In the center, 2 more inf squads are dispatched, and some inf and t34s are spotted probing around.....

A shell bounces off another T34, scaring the cr*p out of the tank rider squad sitting on her....no damage.

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 55
hide and seek - 1/10/2003 7:46:02 AM   
Tomanbeg

Still playing hard to get. Olord left a Mk-IV out where I could get a flank shot from about 1200 meters, but I didn't fall for it. No, I will sneak my scouts through the grass and hope to get them close enough to Tommy's so a next to last turn TOT might stun the rifle squads there and let me dash in and steal a V-hex or two. I hope.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 56
- 1/10/2003 7:04:05 PM   
TheOverlord

Not much this turn.

Dispersed another soviet inf squad and a Pz4 and T34 swap some shots.

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 57
slow going - 1/12/2003 3:47:25 AM   
Tomanbeg

I took a wild shot at a Mk-IV and got a burning T-34 as a reward. I played suck the magazine dry up north. Got 3 or 4 shots out of a Tiger and 3 or 4 from a Mk-IV. They were all at 30+ hexes. Dangerous, but If he doesn't hit that first shot and I make him shift targets, then it's a good thing. Plus Olord is to focused in on the teoops south of the road and I need for him to start looking over his shoulder as the game winds down. I made my mistake and now we have to see if Olord will make one.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 58
- 1/13/2003 7:45:38 AM   
TheOverlord

I am trying not to make any mistakes.....cant afford them! I am too outnumbered!

Every panzer (especially my Tigers) are precious....and every stray T-34 they can pick off at long distance is one less for the final assault that I am sure will be coming in the next few rounds.

Reports of T-34 movement are begining to come in from survingin recon units and front line postions.....

Dispersed one more infantry squad.

On a happy note, 2 sdkfz251/1s that lost wheels on rough roads have been repaired. More mobile mg's to go where most needed!!

I had to rip out and reinstall waw due to flakiness in my installation. I had been upgrading since version 5.0 and had installed the Desert Fox mega campaign and patches up to 7.1.
Ripped it all out tonight and installed complete 7.1 game, so let me know if you see any funky stuff. Things seemed ok from this end.

-Major Holdridge

Post #: 59
Grinding it out - 1/13/2003 11:49:11 AM   
Tomanbeg

Well, it looks like Olord is either willing to settle for a draw or has some sort of intention to grab a few more flags somehwere and see if the points will put him over the top. He has fallen back to tommy's Truck stop and it looks like he is digging in. More smoke and more creeping up. 7 more turns. I wonder if he will sit there or if he will launch another spoiling attack?
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Got ta know when to walk away, Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI