Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/17/2013 11:19:38 PM   
Griefhead

T9 South

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 31
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/17/2013 11:21:02 PM   
Griefhead

Detail Shots

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 32
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/18/2013 2:16:08 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

Bozo school of thought

There is a "Bozo school of thought?"

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 33
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/18/2013 4:16:30 AM   
Ketza

The original Bozo the Clown had a very small upscale restaurant in Upper Darby PA outside Philly on the main line.

Excellent food. I ate there in 1990 on the 5th or 6th date with my wife.

He was rather old then so I doubt he or it is still there.

(in reply to Bozo_the_Clown)
Post #: 34
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/18/2013 5:44:39 AM   
Michael T

I just noticed this is a Sudden death game. Cool. It should mean the Axis will have to fight it out in the Blizzard should the Soviet's survive the Summer.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 35
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/18/2013 4:06:15 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

It should mean the Axis will have to fight it out in the Blizzard should the Soviet's survive the Summer.

Clowns don't follow any rules.

It should be interesting as this would be my first blizzard against human with FOW.

Can someone explain the Sudden Death rule to me? Do I have to hold a certain number of VPs. I honestly don't know.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 36
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/18/2013 4:08:57 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

The original Bozo the Clown had a very small upscale restaurant in Upper Darby PA outside Philly on the main line.

Excellent food. I ate there in 1990 on the 5th or 6th date with my wife.

He was rather old then so I doubt he or it is still there.

Yes, that's me. I've since retired from the restaurant business. Instead, I'm playing this game until I drop dead.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 37
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/18/2013 6:16:01 PM   
Griefhead

Oh wow!  I am seriously honored to meet you Bozo.  I didn’t know I was dealing with a movie star!  In my formative years of pool halls and back alleys in Washington, DC you brought a great deal of enjoyment into my life with your humor and lightheartedness.  We need a Bozo comeback, where you could tweak noses of a society that is almost devoid of the qualities that you brought to the stage.  Man, what I would do for an autographed photo to show my son, who calls me Bozo to this very day (you have influenced more than one generation).  I’ll throw the game for one.

Post #: 38
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/18/2013 6:18:49 PM   
Griefhead

End of T10
In the north, Osinovets fell, which isolated the remaining 7 units, 4 fortifications, and the 23rd Army HQ (73k men, 1200 guns, and 20 AFVs).
The flanking operation north of Moscow advanced 90 miles to the northeast in light fighting and now has substantial infantry ground support. This thrust is led by at least 7 GER mechanized units, mostly panzer divisions, which now are positioned 120 miles north of Moscow.
No advance was made towards Tula but a pocket was formed at Kursk, which isolated 10 SOV units and the 5th & 12th Army HQs (110k men, 1050 guns, and 430 AFVs). The pocket was formed by about 18 GER mechanized units. In the Kharkov/D’town area GER infantry advanced about 30 miles east to occupy the territory vacated by SOV last turn.

SOV Response:
The SOV troops in the north held their positions including the isolated units at Leningrad. South of Lake Ilmen the defenses pulled east to counter the potential threat from the GER mechanized that are now north of Moscow. These troops could go north as easily as going south.
Part of the defensive line south of Moscow pulled to the north of the city to start building an extended line east to protect against the GER flanking operation. Reinforcements were positioned around Moscow and in some of the vacated areas in the south.
The pocket at Kursk was broken in two places, which isolated the bulk of the flanking GER mechanized units – slowing them down a bit. SOV units west of Kharkov moved east to protect against another GER flanking move around the city. Defensive units south of Kharkov mostly held their positions.
Besides the 17 units that were surrounded GER gained strategic positioning north of Moscow and east of Kursk. Add to that the certain fall of Leningrad and this turn probably becomes the most destructive to the SOV army so far. SOV defensive lines retreated and shifted positions from Lake Ilmen to Kharkov.

All on map units - morale mean 50, experience mean 38. Rifle divisions - 12 out of 248 (4.8%) have experience > 49.
Battles – 9 holds, 32 retreats, 1 surrender, 1 scout, 1 shatter, and 2 routs, with 34 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 172.0k/1283k (+24.2k/39k) men, 1036/17.1k (+172/600) guns, 1183/8.6k (+152/300) AFVs, and 468/2423 (+73/94) aircraft (including GER 165 (+21) recon and 53 (+11) transport).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 39
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/18/2013 6:27:48 PM   
Griefhead

BTW, there is a "Bozo school of thought" and a whole lot of it has to do with tweaking noses - including you own when you need it.

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 40
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/19/2013 1:20:56 AM   
Griefhead

End of T11
Leningrad has fallen! The isolated SOV forces have mostly surrendered and the remainder will be eliminated next turn.
The northern Moscow flanking operation has turned north towards Lake Ilmen in an attempt to surround the 750,000 SOV troops in the area. At least 8 armored and motorized GER divisions left their positions around Vyshny Volochek and moved in a 100 mile northern flanking operation instead of moving south towards Moscow as expected. West of Moscow GER lines were thinned and south of the city the GER forces remained stationary north of Orel.
GER mechanized forces south of Orel once again closed the pocket that was opened last turn and then sprinted west 160 miles, with the lead units capturing Tambov and all of its factories. Heavy GER recon showed a hole in the SOV defenses, which was exploited. GER mechanized divisions south of Voronezh moved 40 miles east and now rest 30 miles from the city. The majority of the GER units are still east of Lipetsk with just 2 divisions making it to Tambov. This probably reflects the fact that many GER armor and mechanized units were isolated in this area last turn and lacked supplies to travel further.
The Kharkov-D’town SOV defensive line was attacked in 4 places produced a localized 10 mile retreat.

SOV Response:
The fall of Leningrad and the GER flanking operation from Vyshny Volochek north mobilized many SOV units to reposition themselves to avoid being pocketed and to establish new defensive positions against the soon-to-be arrival of the Finns. An area 2/3 the size of West Virginia was abandoned the SOV units moved northeast to meet the GER panzers. Like West Virginia, the abandoned area contains nothing but forests, hills, and water. If the thrust continues, SOV leadership expects the GER mechanized units to rapidly run into supply problems and become a target for isolation themselves. SOV armor and cavalry units were moved from the northern Moscow defenses towards the GER thrust with that in mind. South of Moscow, units are shifted east to counter any GER attack from the Tambov blitz.
The Kursk pocket is solid and cannot be broken, spelling the doom of the entrapped units with over 100k men, 1000 guns, and 400 AFVs. The Tambov blitz could go north to Tula or south towards Voronezh/Kharkov/Stalino - going south would be easier as the SOV defenses are weaker. Since GER mechanized units are both north and south of Voronezh the city is abandoned to its fate. The units around the city move south to join up with the Kharkov defenses on the eastern end. 3 cavalry units cut supply off to the 2 GER mechanized units (29MOT & 47PAN) at Tambov. South of Kharkov minor repositioning of units takes place to maintain the integrity of the line.

All on map units - morale mean 50, experience mean 39. Rifle divisions - 14 out of 269 (5.2%) have experience > 49.
Battles – 7 holds, 26 retreats, 5 surrender, and 3 routs, with 27 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 197.3k/1363k (+25.3k/80k) men, 1195/18.4k (+159/1300) guns, 1266/9.1k (+83/500) AFVs, and 545/2563 (+77/140) aircraft (including GER 191 (+26) recon and 66 (+13) transport).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 41
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/19/2013 1:23:14 AM   
Griefhead

Details

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 42
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/19/2013 1:24:11 AM   
Griefhead

T11 Detail

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 43
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/20/2013 2:38:59 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

I'm an angry clown tonight. What the hell is wrong with this combat system. I'm committing one division after the other against a wimpy Russian mountain division with a CV of 2 in clear terrain without any fortifications and what do I get? HELD, HELD, HELD, HELD. And these are deliberate attacks! I totally understand the concepts of supply, fatigue, reserve activation, leader rolls etc. but this is a bit of a joke.

Finally got so frustrated that I committed an entire Panzer army. Result: A lousy 13 divisions and one tank brigade encircled. Wow, with results like these the Germans don't have to fear the blizzard (sarcasm).

Picture of Bozo after he receives the bad news from the front:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 44
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/20/2013 8:23:11 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

Griefhead, I'm yielding the game. You won this one fair and square. You didn't panic and I made some bad decisions on turn 12/13. Thinking that I could outflank Moscow on T13 without proper supply was downright foolish.

It might look like a harsh decision but that one successful attack you had in the South against my mechanized division sealed my fate. It opened up the pocket and displaced my HQ. Now I have a lot of tanks sitting there with no MPs. And I have a couple of HQs with 500 fuel. I was able to reseal the pocket but after carefully looking at the situation I thought there was simply no more hope. I needed the south to open up to gain a decent position for blizzard. Without that it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

The combat results were downright frustrating. I need to go back to the drawing board. Obviously fatigue plays a major roll. But I also think that HQ buildups have a negative effect on the supply of other forces. I'm still experimenting wildly with this function. I had two turns with four HQ buildups each. That's probably just not feasible.

Sorry for quitting early and thanks for the game! Despite this rather sad ending I really enjoyed it. It was a wild roller coaster!

Post #: 45
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/20/2013 8:29:14 PM   
Griefhead

End of T12
The northern GER flanking operation from last turn has changed direction and headed southeast towards Yaroslavl in light fighting that skirted the Moscow defensive line to the east. The lead mechanized units are 50 miles northwest of Yaroslavl and 160 miles north of Moscow.
In the center, the Tambov blitz from last turn turned north, advancing 120 miles with the lead mechanized units now resting 30 miles west of Ryazan. GER picked a path of no SOV resistance in this operation, again skirting the defensive line to the east.
The GER units that were south of Voronezh advanced east 50 miles to capture the abandoned city and moved south 80 miles to strike the Kharkov/Voronezh line in the center, driving a wedge into the line with the tip extending 40 miles into the checker board defense resting 150 miles north of Stalino.
At D’town, 90,000 GER infantry troops attacked and captured the city in the largest engagement of the turn.

SOV Response:
SOV units moved south from the Lake Ilmen area towards the GER flanking move north of Moscow, cutting supply and isolating a number of GER mechanized units.
The Tula defenses moved east, at speed, to position them in front of the GER thrust coming from south. This GER operation that is west of Ryazan appears to have outrun its supply sources and may be vulnerable to attack next turn. SOV cavalry troops were positioned to the west to exploit the possibility.
Kharkov was abandoned and the defensive troops moved southeast to meet the GER infantry attack that is headed towards Stalino. In general defenses were tightened and sent southward to protect Stalino.

All on map units - morale mean 50, experience mean 39. Rifle divisions - 14 out of 273 (5.1%) have experience > 49.
Battles – 1 hold, 15 retreats, 9 surrenders, and 2 routs, with 40 supply drops
Casualties GER/SOV – 221.1k/1486k (+23.8k/123k) men, 1324/20.0k (+29/1600) guns, 1449/9.3k (+82/200) AFVs, and 591/2653 (+46/90) aircraft (including GER 202 (+11) recon and 72 (+6) transport).

Comment Added at Posting:
Boy did Bozo get worked up on T15! He fiercely attacked all over the board after a Mnt. unit, by itself, almost held off the whole of AGS.
After the war the leader of that unit will be given a drachma on the Caspian Sea with a group of Sillyflower's dancing girls. Of course, if he doesn't make it out of the pocket he’s in Stalin will have to keep it for himself.
Bozo, calm down and please don't carry it to far and put on an Obama head like that clown at the Texas rodeo a few weeks ago. It's illegal in this country to make fun of a sitting president. Oh wait, this isn't the Middle East. Well anyway, homeland security would like everybody to act nice; so just as a warning the clown was fired and not put into indefinite detention.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 46
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/20/2013 8:30:30 PM   
Griefhead

T12 Detail

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 47
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/20/2013 8:44:58 PM   
Griefhead

Bozo it was a pleasure playing. I didn't realize the full effects of my counteratacks in the south, but it sounds like I'm lucky to have displaced that HQ.
Some other time then.

Griefhead

(in reply to Griefhead)
Post #: 48
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/21/2013 12:04:51 PM   
STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown
Sorry for quitting early and thanks for the game! Despite this rather sad ending I really enjoyed it. It was a wild roller coaster!

It's surprising giving up after such a good 1941 campaign...

Post #: 49
RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome - 8/21/2013 4:10:00 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

Pure frustration. I had an early chance to lock down the entire northern front. Instead I made an insane decision to go for Moscow. There were almost no Russian units behind Voronezh but I could exploit it because of supply. And the offensive in the South failed at least partially.

I agree that I probably should have played on. But the psychological aspect of this game should not be underestimated. Anyway, it's probably better to quit the game then to throw heavy objects against your monitor.

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI