Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Random Game Using Number Generator

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Random Game Using Number Generator Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random Game Using Number Generator - 8/21/2013 1:12:03 AM   
Cmiller

Hi guys. So after playing Distant worlds quite a few times now, I decided to do something a little fun. I used a number generator to create a freshly new game. I had the generator decide which settings I would use to set this game up. And I will say, it has not treated me nicely. Here is what it chose for me:

The Galaxy

Even Clusters, 700 Stars, Medium size
Young Expansion
Normal Aggression levels
Extreme Difficulty
Normal Research speed
Normal Space Monsters
Few Pirates - Distant proximity, and pirates will respawn after death
Occasion colonies amount
Teeming independent alien life
Colonization range limits enforced

My Empire

Boskara race, Hive Mind Government
Harsh Home system
"Starting" size
Level 1 tech
Very High Corruption

Victory Conditions

Territory - 87%
Population - 27%
Economy - 96%
Race specific victory conditions enabled
Victory conditions do not apply until 99 years. I'll need as much time to grow and catch up if I expect to get anywhere far.

And those are the game settings. As hard as they may look, I sworn to myself to stick with what the generator chose, and play this game all the way. However, I also went as far as letting the generator choose for me manual created empires, instead of letting the game auto-empire do it. It gives better surprises I think. Also, it makes this game much harder too . Below is a picture of the first 10 empires, there are 5 more with all random setting:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 8/21/2013 1:21:08 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Random Game Using Number Generator - 8/21/2013 1:20:07 AM   
Cmiller

Sorry, I didn't expect the picture to be that big on the page. And its low quality cause I took it from my phone camera. My apologies. If you zoom out in browser, it should help. But those are the empires that it chose. A majority of them are much bigger than me, and much higher tech. One of them is even maxed out in tech with the Level 7. Obviously this game will be very hard to win, if not impossible. I am not expecting to win victory. However, I would at least like to survive, and grow as much as I can. I haven't gone too deep into the game, so perhaps some of you more experienced players could give me some strategic advice on how to survive, and not get totally wiped out by the bigger AI.

And also, I assume its because of the harsh settings, that my empire starts out with $-6000 cashflow. How can I raise this into the black. It is hard as of now, since my home system is practically crap, and the outside world it probably already too developed to build too many more mining stations. Any other ways/strategies that may help raise my economic situation?

I will update you guys once I've done some exploration throughout the galaxy. Will let you know the specifics of each Empire and their relations with on another. I expect this to be a pretty interesting game, and hopefully fun.

Edit: One more thing I forgot, I am using the Distant Worlds Extended mod, so there are more than just the Core races in this game

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 8/21/2013 1:24:51 AM >

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 2
RE: Random Game Using Number Generator - 8/21/2013 3:04:04 AM   
mSterian

OMG OMG OMG.
I thought I was the only one doing that.
I'm on my 5th game with ALL random settings.
I've had all 3 types of games: 1)I'm hugely disadvantaged, don't stand a chance against anything. 2) Very well rounded out, challenging but balanced game. 3) I was crushing them like bugs dues to very high research and stuff like that.

I wish the game would have an option like that, to randomize EVERY setting.

The quick play option randomizes SOME settings but not all.

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 3
RE: Random Game Using Number Generator - 8/21/2013 2:44:53 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cmiller
And also, I assume its because of the harsh settings, that my empire starts out with $-6000 cashflow. How can I raise this into the black. It is hard as of now, since my home system is practically crap, and the outside world it probably already too developed to build too many more mining stations. Any other ways/strategies that may help raise my economic situation?

I don't play random but have played plenty on harsh start and with more advanced empires so some tips.

You have little chance of defending from Pirates so pay them off but cancel as soon as they leave as your system as you just won't be able to afford it. Higher fees short-term if they come back will cost a lot less.

Disband all troops and raise taxes until you are +2 happiness (but keep an eye on it). You may only be able to afford a few ships so 1-2 explorers and 2-3 construction ships and hopefully you'll be able to make a little trading income.

It's essential to get research going. Sell for cash and technology. Before long you should be able to go to 0% tax to grow your homeworld and build more. Build a research base in their territory and you'll win the lottery. Some would argue these are exploits but the game allows it the choice is yours and with settings like these ...

If you are playing a race with a racial technology, research it as early as you can, then the advanced racial technologies. The Tech Level 7 race will not have it so trade for everything but keep the trades focused on specific areas that allow you to catch up (e.g. one weapons technology type) most efficiently. You can race through the technology levels quickly.

With that Tech Level 7 race do everything ... everything ... to keep them happy. Gifts, refuelling rights etc, etc. If you can get close in technology, the game is yours. Target the homeworld of a weaker empire you have decent relations with, so you can sue for peace, absorb until you are ready to attack again, repeat.

I've played games where I literally cannot find any other system to mine or colonise because the other Empires have filled the map from game start. You should be able to find a friendly race or two and again work on diplomacy until they give you mining rights and then see what you can find.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 8/21/2013 2:52:33 PM >

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 4
RE: Random Game Using Number Generator - 8/22/2013 2:10:52 AM   
Cmiller

I am afraid to say, its barely the beginning, and things already went bad for me. Immediately, not even a few minutes into the game, a nation declares war on me! Then they send a fleet with 10 ships, each with 300 firepower and destroy my entire home system. Yep, just watched as their fleets destroys my mining stations and space port. . They have not invaded my homeworld yet, but I assume it'll be very soon. Their military strength is around 5,000 and have 2 colonies. But their tech is much, much higher.

I assume the reason they declared war was 1.) they are an agressive race, and 2) I am Boskara, and everyone tends to hate them. So the diplomacy aspect will not help me in this game.

So, what do I do. Is there any way out, maybe even the slightest of escape possibilities? Or do I call this game a loss cause and try again?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 5
RE: Random Game Using Number Generator - 8/22/2013 2:58:41 PM   
Icemania

Feel free to try but yeah I've had the same experience on these sorts of settings.

Die early ... but if you can survive for a while ... win. So it's worth trying a couple of spawns on similar settings.

But in the game you have ... put everything on the table. What will it cost for them to end the war? Can Diplomacy get them to the point they hate you less ... at least so they don't keep declaring war? etc

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 6
RE: Random Game Using Number Generator - 8/22/2013 11:44:16 PM   
Cmiller

There wasn't much to put at the table Lol. I have tried all I could with the game, and retried at least 3 times. Nothing works. This one is a no go. I think what I'll do is tweak a few of the settings like giving myself more expansion and a few extra tech level. It should allow me to hold my ground and not die within the first 10 minutes of playing .

Thanks for the advice Icemania, really good stuff I can use in the future.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 7
RE: Random Game Using Number Generator - 8/24/2013 2:30:29 AM   
Icemania

Another option might be to pull back that Tech Level 7 race to Tech Level 5 and/or set the game up with a Friendly race or two nearby.

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 8
RE: Random Game Using Number Generator - 5/11/2014 10:46:54 PM   
FireLion1983

Wow, this sounds exciting! Gotta try all these new settings. Thanks!

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Random Game Using Number Generator Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI