Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2013 4:48:59 AM   
Canoerebel

Diego Garcia had 18th UK Div. until I pulled it to form the spearhead of the Sumatra invasion. That move proved successful and essential. Diego is no longer critical. It's still important, but not critical. So I have a Marine CD unit posted there along with some other CD units. Another Marine CD unit is inbound from Capetown. Socotra is no longer relevant to this game.

Cap, believe it or not, I've never been to Bonaventure Cemetery. I've only rarely been to Savannah. It's a fabulous city, though, so one day I'll have to attend to my lack of attention. (I'm not picking on Savannah, though. I pretty much don't go to any cities unless I have to.)

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 3181
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2013 5:02:43 AM   
Canoerebel

Robert Frost's poem "Birches" is about his memories of boyhood, when he would climb a limber birch sappling, then swing out his feet to ride the tree to the ground. In doing so, the birch would be left bent over. There are two parts of this poem that really stand out in my memory:

1. Years afterwards, trailing their leaves on the ground
Like girls on hands and knees that throw their hair
Before them over their heads to dry in the sun.

I love those three lines because they paint a word picture that is so vivid. Can't you just see it?

2. One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

I like that line and use it, modified, to fit things I enjoy doing. "One could do wrose than be a visitor of cemeteries."

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/21/2013 5:04:29 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3182
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2013 5:06:01 AM   
JeffroK

A walk around the cemetry on Norfolk island is very interesting, you can follow the trials and tribulations of the settlers, so many deaths of infants, the roll call of the Foot regiments of the British Army and post the arrival of the Pitcairn Islanders, the dozens of headstones bearing the few surnames of the new arrivals.

Plus its on the seafront near Kingston, a beautiful setting.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 3183
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2013 7:50:22 AM   
JocMeister

CR, If I remember correctly you have run your fighter pools completely dry? How will you deal with this? Will you withdraw out of his sweep range or try to maintain the illusion that you are still in good shape? Not sure the latter can be done but perhaps its doable to an extent by merging squadrons?

Post #: 3184
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/21/2013 3:16:08 PM   
Canoerebel

My fighter pools are pretty dry. John hasn't tested them for the past month or so. I think he really took a licking in Burma for months, which discouraged him from fighing over well defended Allied fields. He's probably gathering Tojos and intends to resume at some point. That will make things tough on me, but my pools have a little in them now - especially P-40K, which is a workhorse - and I can call on the Navy as a strategic reserve. Part of John's challenge is that his best large airfields in theater have problems - Port Blair, Victoria Point, Kota Bharu and Georgetown have been lost or shut down or close thereto. He has Singers and he'll be building on Sumatra (his field at Padang just went to level 5). But right now he has to come to me at distance, which gives him a case of the yips, which is always a good thing.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3185
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/22/2013 2:04:29 AM   
pontiouspilot

Re the grave jesture...if you thinks it was bad for the faller imagine the consternation of the dearly departed at having a lawyer fall in through the roof! Do they sell occupiers liability insurance for such misfeasances?

Post #: 3186
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/22/2013 2:32:37 AM   
Chickenboy

I suspect that Dan fled the scene because he realized that he would not be getting billable hours from that client. As all lawyers will do, he ran as fast as he could! Horrifying brush with pro bono work, just horrifying!

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 3187
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/22/2013 5:17:00 PM   
Canoerebel

As a public service to those who are jaded, discouraged, depressed, overhwhelmed by all the bad stuff dominating the news, etc., I herewith offer a chance for a six-minute tonic in the form of highlights from an obscure but classic movie starring Carry Grant. Warning: Don't click unless you have six minutes to relax and smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCgNTeQTHc4

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3188
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/22/2013 5:42:40 PM   
JohnDillworth

Thanks for that. I love Black & White movies. I presently working my way through the "canon" of B&W movies. It started as a project to improve my photography (film noir is an influence) but I've fallen in love with the movies. This was a fun clip. It's hard for me to watch Cary Grant and not identify him as the the guy in North by Northwest. As for what constitutes the canon of B&W movies it is a matter of opinion but there would be some general consensus. Citizen Kane is at the top, but the list also includes such recent masterpieces as Young Frankenstein and Schindler's List. It was important to see Schindler's List, but on some level I wish I had never seen it. Ah and now I have messed up your whole point and made this post depressing

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3189
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/22/2013 5:51:44 PM   
Canoerebel

Schindler's List is truly a magnificent movie. One of the few modern films that succeeds in putting the viewer in a tragic historic situation and feeling like they are there. (Titanic and Saving Private Ryan are in the same category, IMO.)

I like North by Northwest, but Grant is at his best in Charade.

As for B&W movies, Hitchcock was a master: Saboteur, Strangers on a Train, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Rear Window and lots of others.

How about Twelve Angry Men and Petrified Forest. Too many to list!

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3190
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/22/2013 6:55:12 PM   
JohnDillworth

Here is another handful; Sunset Boulevard,Raging Bull, Battle of Algiers,Treasure of the Sierra Madre,Maltese Falcon (Bogart fan here), Best Years of Our Lives and My Darling Clementine. A couple of points. The ultimate decision to do Raging Bull in B&W was because Scorsese thought all the blood in the fight scenes would be either too graphic or too fake in color. He wanted brutal fight scenes (and the movie really isn't about boxing) but didn't want to detract from them with a gore fest. A great choice. If you have not seen Battle of Algiers it has subtitles but it is a must see for reasons beyond its artistic merit (and merit it has). This movie documented the playbook for how terrorists operate against a superior conventional force. It is chilling that no answer has yet been found to that playbook and it is still in use and in the news every single day. Powerfull stuff wraped into a great movie

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3191
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/22/2013 7:23:17 PM   
Canoerebel

Bogart fan here too. How about To Have and Have Not? That movie is like a quote machine.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3192
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/22/2013 10:54:02 PM   
Canoerebel

12/6/42 and 12/7/42

I just ran the turn for December 7 and discovered that a crisis is at hand. Yikes, Scoob!

Port Blair Raid: My carrier strike aircraft flew against Port Blair, but the Avengers declined to carry torps for reasons unknown. So, after two days of raids, a few scratches scored against BB Mutsu. The only effective aspect is that the airfield seems shut down, which is pretty signifcant as it eliminates one major threat vector.

KB: But now all or most or part of the KB has leaped forward and is NW of Sabang and not that far from my carriers and a host of merchant ships that have been fleeing from Sabang to Colombo. The question is, what will the KB do? Raid towards Colombo to pick of merchants? Very possible. Try to guess which way my carriers will go to catch them? Seems unlikely since I have 360 degrees to flee. Or is this a feint preceding a combined air/sea assault on Sabang? IE, might John figure I'll move some of Sabang's fighters to Ceylon? Possible. All in all, I think the first option is most likely, with the KB moving to a point in the triangle between Sabang, Port Blair and Ceylon.

Ceylon and Sabang and the Allied Carriers: Colombo has a great deal of important shipping - it's a triage unit for cruisers and destroyers. Right now I have 165 fighters posted there, but I think I'll leave it as is for a turn. It'll hurt if the KB port strikes, but the Allied fighters would do some damage. Sabang has 315 crack fighter squadrons with a massive concentration of combat ships. It is an island in a sea, but I think it can hold for a day as is. So, the main thing is to decide what to do with my carriers. Three options: (1) retire towards Ceylon to provide some cover for my transports and to keep my carriers close to home and at least risk of getting trapped behind the KB; (2) retire at a high speed towards Chittagong; this will likely lead them out of harm's way, but it does put the carriers off in no-man's-land (but John can't really attack that region given the host of land-based fighters I can bring to bear; (3) do something unexpetcted: move my carriers towards Sabang, where they would benefit from LBA. The risk is that John might guess this or simply move his carriers that way without realizing I was doing the same. I don't want a carrier battle right now. All in all, a move towards Ceylon is probably the wisest, but I haven't decided yet.

Sumatra: Two enemy divisions are now at Sibolga, facing one beat up USA division. John is hammering the base by air and sea, but I cautiously optimistic the x3 terrain will give the Allies enough to hold. One of his divisions is at full strength, the other at 1/3rd. Mine is divided into three RCT that have 30% to 50% disruption and a combined AV of 186 (total AV at the base is 237).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3193
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/22/2013 11:54:42 PM   
Miller

Dan, you do realise that other than Japanese aircraft on day one, NO torpedo bombers drop torpedoes on port attack, EVER? (Unless it changed in one of the last Beta patches)!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3194
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 12:00:08 AM   
bbbf

Why are you keeping the division divided? Are there fragments elsewhere?

The regiments will be ground down faster than the combined parent.

Robert Lee

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3195
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 12:58:07 AM   
Canoerebel

Miller, I didn't realize that. :)

bbbf, early in the game, one of the RCT was assigned to a particular HQ; when I purchased the other two, I didn't notice that I was assigning them to a different HQ; so now it would cost 500 PP to get them aligned; and I don't have 500 PP to spare.

Another thing John might be doing is assembling his carriers in a blocking position in order to evacuate all of the ships he has hung up near Rangoon and Moulmein. Good chance of that, I'd say. If he's taking up a blocking position, then all kind of mayhem could ensue should I send my carriers towards Sabang.

Another option I have would be to strip the fighters from my carriers, send a bunch of them to Sabang and some to Colombo, and let my carriers skedaddle.

The decision has to be made within the next 45 minutes.

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 3196
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 1:26:24 AM   
Canoerebel

I've started issuing orders as though I'm taking the most radical course of action - steering my carriers for Sabang. I've changed land-based fighter range to four hexes and the carriers will have to sprint about 13 hexes to reach a point two hexes NW of Sabang. I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this - an unease in the spirit, once again. Darn. Tough decisions.

P.S. I'm pretty sure John sprinted his carriers 18 hexes (thus at max speed).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3197
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 1:51:01 AM   
Canoerebel

Decision made. The carriers will steam NW to a point perhaps six to eight hexes east of Trincomalee. John probably guesses this is the route I'll go, but if he's hunting flattops, this will force him as deep as possible from his own ports and he'll probably have to steam his full speed again to catch mine. Mainly, though, the deciding factor is that nothing is as important as my carriers, for as long as they're afloat John can't impose a lasting blockade vs. Sabang...and Sabang, in turn, is the most improtant hex on the map right now and will be for months to come in all probability. Many of my merchants will take a licking tomorrow, but most of the really valuable ships are already tucked away at Colombo. There are, however, a bunch of AOs scattered about, and I'm going to lose some.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3198
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 2:18:22 AM   
Cpt Sherwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Dan, you do realise that other than Japanese aircraft on day one, NO torpedo bombers drop torpedoes on port attack, EVER? (Unless it changed in one of the last Beta patches)!

I am not sure this is 100% true. This is from the manual.

Bombers attacking ports will attack any ships at anchor 50% of the time, however, TF’s docked
in port will not be attacked. These attacks use bombs with only a small percentage of torpedo
bombers using torpedoes
(as it is assumed these ships may be in dry dock or protected by
torpedo nets). If there are less than 10 ships at port, the chance of bombers attacking ships
lessens with each number less than 10 (so, bombers would be more likely to attack ships if 9
were in port as opposed to 4).

I am sure that only a developer with access to the code would know what the percentage is and how
it might be affected, if it can be.

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3199
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 2:37:20 AM   
Cap Mandrake

This is like Rear Window for us. We just sit back in the dark and watch.

You should check out where the little dog is sniffing.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/23/2013 2:38:03 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3200
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 3:43:11 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Colombo has a great deal of important shipping - it's a triage unit for cruisers and destroyers. Right now I have 165 fighters posted there, but I think I'll leave it as is for a turn.

Much as I'd love to see Allied shipping destroyed at Colombo, this is his least enticing option. Unless you've moved the British AAA units from here, a port raid with such a large CAP would be a monumental blunder for John here. Heck, I'd even thank him for the opportunity to degrade KB aircraft just on the off chance he'll get through murderous AAA and land an egg on a repairing CA.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3201
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 4:25:07 AM   
Canoerebel

Colombo's AA is at the front - both in Assam and Sabang. However, I don't think John knows that. I don't think John has any idea what I have at Sabang, and I believe some or all of the AA at Ramree arrived after I evicted IJ division that visited three months ago. So John should be leary of taking on a major Allied airfield. The only exception might be Sabang if he thinks he can bring a massive combined arms attack - carrier air, LBA air, and bombardment. If he does that, though, it's an indication he's tossing caution to the wind and is desperate.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3202
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 4:51:58 AM   
crsutton

quote:

Schindler's List is truly a magnificent movie. One of the few modern films that succeeds in putting the viewer in a tragic historic situation and feeling like they are there. (Titanic and Saving Private Ryan are in the same category, IMO.)

I like North by Northwest, but Grant is at his best in Charade.

As for B&W movies, Hitchcock was a master: Saboteur, Strangers on a Train, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Rear Window and lots of others.

How about Twelve Angry Men and Petrified Forest. Too many to list!

Double Indemnity, Witness for the Prosecution, The Postman Always Knocks Twice, Sunset Boulevard, and Twelve Angry Men. My wife and I have really been tearing through the classics in the past year. (Note to self. Rent The Hunchback of Notre Dame.)

We have also just about finished a journey through the 1970's which many say was the best decade for movies. I have to agree.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3203
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 4:57:44 AM   
crsutton

quote:

Colombo's AA is at the front - both in Assam and Sabang. However, I don't think John knows that. I don't think John has any idea what I have at Sabang, and I believe some or all of the AA at Ramree arrived after I evicted IJ division that visited three months ago. So John should be leary of taking on a major Allied airfield. The only exception might be Sabang if he thinks he can bring a massive combined arms attack - carrier air, LBA air, and bombardment. If he does that, though, it's an indication he's tossing caution to the wind and is desperate.

I think that your major repair port should always be stacked with AA. Best to hold some back. But in this case, you should welcome the attack. His losses in downed and damaged aircraft would be high enough for you to then pursue a carrier fight.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3204
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 5:08:58 AM   
Canoerebel

Ross! The 70s? That's the black hold of the motion picture era. The '30s through early '50s were golden, and really the '90s through the present day have been great. But the '70s were just plain awful.*

*Note: This, of course, is my own humble opinion based on my subjective likes and dislikes. In particular, I dislike vulgarity, sleaze, and movies with an overtly political agenda. That leaves about three decent movies from the '70s.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3205
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 9:56:28 AM   
JocMeister

Again one of those questions based on curiosity and speculation.

How worried are you about you position in general? As a reader I of course lack all the details but while I was quietly optimistic about the prospect of success in the beginning I´m now not so sure anymore. I´m worried that if JIII plays this right this has the potential to end in a major allied disaster. This shift in perception happened when I thought to myself "what would happen if you played one of those exceptional Japanese players like PzB?". All speculation of course but I have that nagging feeling that he could turn something like this in to a decisive Japanese victory.

Are there reasons to be worried or do you feel you are so dug in and have so much AV and supply in place that its simply impossible for him to dislodge you now? Even if you suffered a catastrophic naval defeat leading to the complete isolation of your forces and complete loss of the airspace?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3206
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 10:32:24 AM   
obvert

quote:

Ross! The 70s? That's the black hold of the motion picture era. The '30s through early '50s were golden, and really the '90s through the present day have been great. But the '70s were just plain awful.*

*Note: This, of course, is my own humble opinion based on my subjective likes and dislikes. In particular, I dislike vulgarity, sleaze, and movies with an overtly political agenda. That leaves about three decent movies from the '70s.

It's hard to talk in abstracts when dealing with something as broad and varied as film, so I'll add a few examples here. There were a LOT of amazing films made during the 70's. There was plenty of vulgarity, sleaze and politics in every era of film-making. Maybe it's the hairstyles you're not too fond of? Bell-bottoms?

Chinatown
Apocalypse Now
Star Wars
Alien
The Deer Hunter
Taxi Driver
Annie Hall
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
All the President's Men
Carrie
Rocky
Mean Streets
The Sting
The French Connection
Deliverance
The Godfather
Jaws
Paper Moon
Manhattan
Dog Day Afternoon
Badlands
The Excorcist
The Great Train Robbery
Dirty Harry
Days of Heaven
The Man with the Golden Gun

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3207
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 11:39:04 AM   
Bo Rearguard

Whenever I think back on the movies of the 70's all those Irwin Allen disaster flicks come to mind--The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, The Swarm. That genre still lives on (with better special effects and CGI) in movies like The Day after Tomorrow, 2012, Armageddon, etc.

That and all those martial arts films. Plus, I can't dislike a decade that gave us Tora, Tora, Tora. Much superior to a certain 2001 movie that I won't mention.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3208
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 12:13:13 PM   
Canoerebel

Obvert some of the films on your list are exactly the kind that I loathe while others seem no more than decent. In the former category, I'd include Apocalypse Now, Deliverance, and the Exorcist. In the latter category I'd include Rocky, The Sting and the Great Train Robbery. There were, of course, some pretty good movies - Tora! Tora! Tora! and Star Wars being two examples - but far too many movies in the 70s were poorly done or way over the top with profanity or vulgarity or underlying political messages.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 3209
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/23/2013 12:17:21 PM   
Canoerebel

Joc, there's lots of fighting to be done and the wheels can definitely come off, but the invasion of Sumatra was a game changing event that following other game changing events - mainly the Assam campaign and the successive disastrous Japanese naval strikes at Ramree Island. I'm guessing you had to form your impression from reading John's AAR. Certainly nothing I've written in mine has hinted at the possibility of disaster. Yes, John might still pull out an inside straight here, but from where I'm sitting, the Allies have controlled the initiative since early June 1942 and Japan has done next to nothing offensively (except reconquering the Gilberts, which was fine since that was part of my plan to help me with Ramree Island).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3210
Page:   <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI