Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another Great Man Gone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Another Great Man Gone Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another Great Man Gone - 8/23/2013 11:22:17 PM   
Footslogger

I could not believe that this guy got robbed and killed after all he's been through. He was a WWII military vet, wounded and survived the war only to be taken down by some punks.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/23/20145461-teen-arrested-in-beating-death-of-wwii-vet-88-in-spokane-wash?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1
Post #: 1
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 1:48:22 AM   
Terminus

How can you possibly know if he was a "Great Man"? Nasty things like this happen to complete ****blisters too.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 1:53:30 AM   
Canoerebel

In the United States, Terminus, there is a tradition to not say anything bad about those who have passed away. And we don't err on the side of assuming the victim of a violent crime was a jerk. Footslogger was trying to be nice. There's no reason for you to act like you're in 2nd grade.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 2:24:19 AM   
Bill Durrant

Terminus please be quiet. I have played against you and know you are a good man.

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 2:38:53 AM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

I could not believe that this guy got robbed and killed after all he's been through. He was a WWII military vet, wounded and survived the war only to be taken down by some punks.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/23/20145461-teen-arrested-in-beating-death-of-wwii-vet-88-in-spokane-wash?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1

I just read this story myself and could not believe it. Two cowardly punks rob and beat and old man - makes me sick.

I'm generally not a fan of capital punishment, but in this case, I just might be inclined to favor it.

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 5
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 3:03:02 AM   
geofflambert

Capital punishment would be so much better if it were cheaper than incarceration.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 6
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 3:05:38 AM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Capital punishment would be so much better if it were cheaper than incarceration.

+1

Read about this today.

What a shame

It is a shame it happens to people, anywhere anytime for that matter.

Bad things happen to good people.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 7
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 3:08:50 AM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

How can you possibly know if he was a "Great Man"? Nasty things like this happen to complete ****blisters too.

Just so you know, it's better to let someone think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 3:15:42 AM   
Cribtop

[deleted out of respect for other viewpoints after I had time to cool off.]

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 8/24/2013 3:21:51 AM >

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 9
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 3:25:17 AM   
zuluhour

The man was wounded on Okinawa, he is/was entitled to respect. I believe in the noose, the chair, and the bullet for punks. One and done. What I really wish we could do is export some of our less desirable citizens to less than hospitable places, however, we managed to stick a flag in every armpit on the planet leaving us with their care. The human feces who shot the Aussie would make excellent target practice at 1000m for our guys training on the Barret. I think the parenting skills of the parents should be called into scrutiny as well. Man sorry to ramble but this $%^& pisses me off. I hope the old soldier had the chance to kick one of them in the sac and flip him the bird.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 10
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 4:08:39 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

+1

Read about this today.

What a shame

It is a shame it happens to people, anywhere anytime for that matter.

Bad things happen to good people.

+2

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 11
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 6:18:26 AM   
Feltan

I wish it were a judge and jury of WITP-AE players.

Quick military tribunal. Sentence: transport them to Okinawa, and have them face a charge of Japanese military waving samurai swords, and the thugs armed only with the flashlight they beat that poor man with.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 12
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 7:54:53 AM   
JocMeister

That is just so sad.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 13
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 1:55:17 PM   
SuluSea

No punishment is fitting the crime.

I wonder if we're going to hear words from the special rights advocates and their ilk that hold elected and appointed positions???

Those scumbags are as predicable as taking a piss after 10 beers.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 14
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 2:10:43 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

"Termi"..., did you read the entire story? "Great" might be an overstatement, but this was definitely a good and decent man. His attackers were sacks of sub-human garbage and deserve to be treated as such.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 15
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 3:59:18 PM   
barkman44

But it was ruled that it wasn't a hate crime,meaning race did not play a factor in the crime.
If it had been 2 white 16 year olds attacking and killing a black vet a hate crime ruling would have been a forgone conclusion

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 16
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 5:17:36 PM   
tocaff

I'm not qualified to stand as judge or jury, but has anybody else noticed a decreasing amount of respect for other people in this world?

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 17
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 6:47:38 PM   
WO Katsuki

quote:

'm not qualified to stand as judge or jury, but has anybody else noticed a decreasing amount of respect for other people in this world?

internet and globalization

people in 1st world acting like they are from the 3rd world

used to have things called borders to keep certain people out
and certainly not talk to them so you are not affected by their mannerisms

on the upside there is less war
on the downside there is more banditry and hooliganism

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 18
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 8:09:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: WO Katsuki

quote:

'm not qualified to stand as judge or jury, but has anybody else noticed a decreasing amount of respect for other people in this world?

people in 1st world acting like they are from the 3rd world

used to have things called borders to keep certain people out
and certainly not talk to them so you are not affected by their mannerisms

warspite1

Seriously? There is nothing I could see to suggest the slime that did this were anything other than homegrown American. Why blame this on "3rd World" immigrants and their "mannerisms"? That's a real sweeping generalisation don't you think?

It doesn't matter whether we are talking about the US, the UK or any other 1st world nation - they are all capable of generating their own scumbags without any outside help.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to WO Katsuki)
Post #: 19
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 10:14:17 PM   
obvert

This story makes me physically sick. It's one thing to be young, angry, poor, whatever and rob someone, but to beat them to death in this manner is unconscionable. It has happened forever and probably will continue forever, but it hurts just as much every time it happens.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 20
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 10:54:38 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Seriously? There is nothing I could see to suggest the slime that did this were anything other than homegrown American. Why blame this on "3rd World" immigrants and their "mannerisms"? That's a real sweeping generalisation don't you think?

It doesn't matter whether we are talking about the US, the UK or any other 1st world nation - they are all capable of generating their own scumbags without any outside help.

Very true. This has absolutely NO geopolitical implications. This, like the death of the Australian student in Oklahoma, is nothing more than the loss of America's soul. I grieve. Oh, I grieve. But there's nothing that can be done, so I'm running. Going to Chile. Hope theso of you left behind can do something, but doudt it. Good luck.

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 21
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/24/2013 10:57:15 PM   
Sieppo

Whatever happened, how on earth can you say somebody is bad or good depending on they were forced to attend in a war? It does absolutely make no sense at all, however tragic it is. This is one thing I continue to wonder in men. If I were forced to do war, it would in no way make me a saint, just unlucky. War is always poor mostly young people dying for older people deciding to continue their failed politics/financial goals.

> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 22
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/25/2013 12:15:13 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

Whatever happened, how on earth can you say somebody is bad or good depending on they were forced to attend in a war? It does absolutely make no sense at all, however tragic it is. This is one thing I continue to wonder in men. If I were forced to do war, it would in no way make me a saint, just unlucky. War is always poor mostly young people dying for older people deciding to continue their failed politics/financial goals.

Have a look at the article. It sounds like this guy had done a lot of kind things for people in his life and was generally regarded as a fine person willing to really help people in need around him. I think this is what people are responding to.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 23
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/25/2013 1:47:59 AM   
LST Express

Old people sometimes make easy targets for bad people.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 24
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/25/2013 8:39:42 AM   
CaptDave

I'm opposed to capital punishment, partly because of the number of times the wrong person has been convicted but mostly because I think the criminal is getting off easy that way. Let him spend time in prison with others of his ilk!

My ideal punishment for animals like this is to reopen Alcatraz, leave it with no staff, and airdrop food twice a day. Let the people there sort it out amongst themselves!

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 25
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/26/2013 5:48:53 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Finland might be different, but in the U.S. most people have a lot of respect for veterans, since we know they have risked everything for our freedom, regardless of whether they were forced to do it or not. This gentlemen has earned our respect and the people of this community are grateful for his service. The stories about his life only reinforce the fact that he was a good man. The manner of his death is extremely vile and my hope is justice is swift and certain. Also, it would be nice for parents to take some responsibility for their offspring at some point.

Regards,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 26
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/26/2013 2:37:20 PM   
Sieppo

How can you say "risk" when there is no choice to do it or go to prison or even be executed in some places? As I said, HAVING to go to a war abroad does not make anyone great or a saint, as they had no other choice. Volunteers are different but I would say they mostly don't understand the reality of war. Then again there are people who really defend their homeland and families (Finland has a history with this agains Russia in WW2, Korea also against China etc), unlike the US usually, where their freedom is defended on the other side of the globe ;) (usually nowadays where oil resides and of a result freedoms of US citizens are taken away, not added). A volunteer in such a war I really would respect but not automatically label as a great human being. Conscripts really have no other choice and this does not make them this or that - the only feeling for them I have is sadness for them being forced put their lives on the line because of decisions of other people that do not do the fighting. This is just common sense.

People who have lived a great life otherwise are another subject and if this was the case here, horrible case anyway, it's really sad.

< Message edited by Sieppo -- 8/26/2013 2:44:11 PM >

> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 27
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/26/2013 2:51:24 PM   
Canoerebel

I wonder what it is that entices some people to squat and take a dump on the nice sentiments expressed by another? We can nitpick and parse and argue endlessly almost any statement made, but why? Here, the OP was simply trying his best to express outrage and sadness over the death of a WWII veteran. In respect for what he's trying to say, we can add our own comment or, if for some reason we are irked and irritated, we can just move along. But, seriously, why choose a genuinely expressed kindness to prompt us to take a public dump?

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 28
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/26/2013 5:19:12 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

Sometimes true, but in this case it was WW II and we were fighting to bring down global aggression, tyranny, and mass murder. Of course, Finland was on the other side..., so maybe you see it differently.

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 29
RE: Another Great Man Gone - 8/26/2013 6:09:22 PM   
t001001001

Too bad he didn't arm himself and shoot both of them.

And to ppl in this thread to say he was just a conscript and maybe not even a decent guy? Seriously?

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Another Great Man Gone Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI