Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

patch issue?!?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> patch issue?!? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
patch issue?!? - 1/14/2003 5:03:32 AM   
dragoniv

I think I have the 1.0 retail release, but just recently obtained it. I patched the game with just the 2.0 patch, assuming that it would pick up all previous patches. When playing the game, all seemed OK, other than an occasional crash during big battles. Compared to many other games I've played, I can hardly complain. ;)

Now that I've been kicking around these forums a bit, I see many folks talking about 150 star galaxies. Hmmm....I only get a choice of 50, 75, and 100. Can someone (er, Andrew maybe) let me know if I was supposed to patch this by applying the 1.2 patch and then the 2.0 patch? Thanks!
Post #: 1
Try reinstalling the game - 1/14/2003 5:40:54 AM   
EricLarsen

dragoniv,
One thing that seems certain nowadays is that you almost always have to get and use every patch because patches aren't cumulative like they used to be. It may well be that the 2.0 patch somehow doesn't have the earlier patch fixes. Probably should go over to the download section for SUDG and check out if the 2.0 patch is cumulative. It should tell you if you need to apply the earlier patches first, something I've gotten into a habit of checking for before downloading the patch.
Eric Larsen

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 2
Re: Try reinstalling the game - 1/14/2003 11:04:46 AM   
Maxfreeboard

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EricLarsen
[B]dragoniv,
One thing that seems certain nowadays is that you almost always have to get and use every patch because patches aren't cumulative like they used to be. It may well be that the 2.0 patch somehow doesn't have the earlier patch fixes. Probably should go over to the download section for SUDG and check out if the 2.0 patch is cumulative. It should tell you if you need to apply the earlier patches first, something I've gotten into a habit of checking for before downloading the patch.
Eric Larsen [/B][/QUOTE]

Eric Larsen,

Based on another gamer's experience I think I read in another post, they did have to install all the patches sequencially.

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 3
- 1/14/2003 12:53:12 PM   
Synicism

I had quite a few problems going from the retail Version 1.0 straight to Version 2.0. Installing the patches in order fixed all the crazy crashes and bugs I had found. Including this strange problem with the opening movies. Hope this works for you...

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 4
- 1/14/2003 1:02:57 PM   
Maxfreeboard

Thank you Synicism! I couldn't remember who it that I thought that I had read saying this and I couldn't find the post.

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 5
- 1/14/2003 9:14:48 PM   
dragoniv

thanks, folks--I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 6
- 1/15/2003 12:41:37 AM   
dragoniv

Of course, I'm trying to download the patches and cannot--getting some weird "only supports anonymous ftp" message when I try to get 1.1 and 1.2. It must be noted that I also could not get 2.0 from Matrix, I had to get it from the Patches Scrolls.

Unfortuntately, 1.1 and 1.2 are not available on the Scrolls nor FilePlanet. So...Matrix, please either fix your own servers, make a 2.1 patch that includes EVERYTHING (like 2.0 should have done), or put 1.1 and 1.2 out on FP and Scrolls. Thanks.

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 7
Response... - 1/15/2003 12:46:55 AM   
Erik Rutins

Dragoniv,

We'll try again to see what the problem is with our FTP servers. There's clearly an issue, but we can't seem to find and fix it. The problem seems to be intermittent and reconfiguration has no effect. The server is set to allow anonymous access, etc. and had been working fine up until a few weeks ago. Back to the drawing board...

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 8
- 1/15/2003 1:39:14 AM   
David Heath

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dragoniv
[B]Of course, I'm trying to download the patches and cannot--getting some weird "only supports anonymous ftp" message when I try to get 1.1 and 1.2. It must be noted that I also could not get 2.0 from Matrix, I had to get it from the Patches Scrolls.

Unfortuntately, 1.1 and 1.2 are not available on the Scrolls nor FilePlanet. So...Matrix, please either fix your own servers, make a 2.1 patch that includes EVERYTHING (like 2.0 should have done), or put 1.1 and 1.2 out on FP and Scrolls. Thanks. [/B][/QUOTE]

If you have version 2.0 you do not need the other updates. We are working on the problem.

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 9
- 1/15/2003 2:00:49 AM   
dragoniv

David:

I bought the 1.0 release. I installed the 2.0 patch, only.

I do not appear to have ANY of the 1.1 and 1.2 features after installing the 2.0 patch. I'll mention two specifics that everybody else on this forum talks about and I don't have: 10x game speed and 150-star galaxies.

So, it does indeed appear that I need the 1.1 and 1.2 patches, as several forum members have suggested.

-Greg Baumbach

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 10
all fixed - 1/15/2003 9:08:12 PM   
dragoniv

Found the issue, I won't go into the gory details but suffice to say the 2.0 patch DOES FIX ALL OPEN ISSUES. The problem I had (not sure if it was specific to my machine or not at this point): the 2.0 patch defaulted to a different directory then the original install did.

original install directory: c:\matrixgames\starships unlimited
patch install directory: c:\matrix games\starships unlimited

I assumed (incorrectly) that the patch program was actively looking for the original install. It wasn't.

I'd like to thank the folks at Matrix for their quick and personal response to my problem. Although I found the issue late last night on my own, they went to the trouble of creating a unique build of the code for me to try to alleviate my patch issues.

I applaud their fine customer support!

Sincerely,

Greg Baumbach

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 11
Response... - 1/18/2003 2:26:22 AM   
Erik Rutins

Greg,

Glad it worked out. Apologies for the confusion!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to dragoniv)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> patch issue?!? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI