Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/10/2013 3:33:56 AM   
geofflambert

Alright, now I have become the embodiment of the Imperial Empire, destroyer of planets. For my first time (ever, including against the AI) I will be defeating the forces of evil, as represented by the Allied side. This may not be pretty (at least not as pretty as me).

We begin with the same house rules as we have observed in the past, mainly no restricted troops marching across political boundaries and no 4E bombing below 10k.

I am willing, however, to dispense with the 4E rule. All house rules I have seen seem to be to the benefit of the Japanese, and I don’t want them. My opponent need not observe this rule, and I will not complain if he doesn’t. I pretty much feel the same about the restricted troops rule, but I’d like to have it explicitly stated by my opponent that that rule no longer applies.

Now, to a matter of some delicacy. My opponent has been using an avatar of a Raiden aircraft. If he persists in that, and I capture him, I may be forced to execute him as a spy. (yeah, right)

I will continue with my past practice of having an open AAR, meaning my opponent is free to visit and comment if he wishes. He will be free to produce his own AAR which I will be prohibited from visiting. I will not confide in you anything I’m unwilling to tell him, thus maintaining some suspense as to what I may be in the process of doing. He, of course should feel free to discuss all relevant details about his operations. I will present to you much of what’s going on as most of it will be no secret to him, and that which is will be subject to FOW. Much will be revealed after a suitable passage of time.
Post #: 1
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/10/2013 4:22:34 AM   
moore4807

Good Luck, May you channel the Captain Kirk in you to a win!

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/10/2013 4:30:42 AM   
geofflambert

The Captain Kirk in me?? Oh, my god, give me some solution of sodium hydroxide to drink to clean him out!

Oh, I get it, you think I ate him. If I had chewed him up I would have spit him out.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/10/2013 4:32:12 AM >

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 3
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/10/2013 4:35:12 AM   
Canoerebel

Holy cow! Big challenge! Good luck, Geoff.

I don't know if a non-Star Trekkie can read your AAR. 75% of your comments go over my head. It reminds me of high school, when I seldom knew what was going on among my classmates.

Post #: 4
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/10/2013 5:45:19 AM   
witpqs

Good luck - we'll all be watching!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/10/2013 7:14:47 PM   
geofflambert

Below are the combat reports. My paratroopers captured Atimonan. Landings have begun at Khota Baru and at Miri. Force Z has escaped my clutches. Ryujo made multiple torpedo attacks on the Houston with no result.

I lost 50 planes to flak today, mostly Zeros.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/10/2013 7:16:28 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/10/2013 7:21:22 PM   
geofflambert

I just noticed, there's 12/8 attacks on here. Those must be from a prior playtest I did. Ignore those, the rest is accurate.

Post #: 7
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/21/2013 4:47:13 AM   
geofflambert

12/9/41 Satisfied that they have destroyed several carriers, battleships, cruisers and destroyers, the KB is off looking for a more formidable opponent to attack. They will rendezvous with their support TF tomorrow and then set off for, who knows, the Icemen of the Arctic? Khota Baru and Miri have fallen. No other landings are reported. Several forays were made from PH by CA TFs without result.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/21/2013 4:48:20 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/26/2013 2:50:16 AM   
geofflambert

Here's the situation on 12/10. As you can see, the American garbage scows that carry kites that blow away in the wind are located at Pearl Harbor.

You can see where I am. Let's have a show of hands, how many would go down there and get them?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/26/2013 3:19:19 AM   
Quixote

Geoff,
Count me among those who would not "go down there and get them." It's only December 10th. I could be wrong, but what you're looking at is probably FOW. If he elected to move both of his CVs straight into PH without worrying about what the was KB was doing on Dec 8th and 9th, he's a fool. From reading some of your last AAR vs Wrym, he's not that bad. Take what you see with a grain (or two) of salt.

Post #: 10
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/26/2013 3:22:59 AM   
geofflambert

Too late, I already gave the orders.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 11
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/26/2013 3:38:25 AM   
geofflambert

Just so you know, Quixote, you passed the test.

I should stipulate, wyrmm is not just not that bad, he's rather good, in my experience.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/26/2013 3:49:25 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/26/2013 3:52:20 AM   
Quixote

I didn't even have to cram the night beforehand. I feel so proud!

(I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope you don't lose too many pilots to DDB flak. Who knows, you may even nail a BB or two that hadn't already been consigned to the bottom of the harbor on the 7th. Good luck, senor Gorn!)

Post #: 13
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/26/2013 3:56:09 AM   
geofflambert

Already lost quite a bit to PH flak. Don't want any more. Don't get too cocky with your initial grades, I can still make modifications!

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 14
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/28/2013 8:18:28 PM   
geofflambert

12/12/41 Aparri, Vigan, Legaspi, Miri, Altimonan, Khota Baru and Sinkawang have fallen. Altimonan was occupied by paratroops, and more troops are landing by sea. The infantry regiment headed to Sinkawang had its AV greatly reduced due to a bomber from Singapore laying an egg on one of the xAKs, sending her to the bottom. I decided to attack anyway once the rest of the reg. landed without waiting for reinforcement. To help out I had Kongo and Haruna bombard, which I had not intended to do before. The attack was a success. Troops have landed at Kavieng and are preparing to capture her.

Here is the bombardment result:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/28/2013 8:21:10 PM   
geofflambert

Here is a surface action precipitated by his daring attack with cruisers. Note the collision. King Kongo had a bad day.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/28/2013 8:22:30 PM   
geofflambert

Here is the second attack on Hong Kong:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/28/2013 8:24:14 PM   
geofflambert

Here is the ground assault on Sinkawang

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/28/2013 8:30:33 PM   
geofflambert

Now, remembering this is my first time playing the Japanese, here's the tracker chart from the 11th. If you see anything really out of whack, please advise. I don't know what I did to cause the vehicle prod pts to crash the way they did, the only warning I have is a critical one on veh. prod.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/28/2013 8:35:12 PM   
geofflambert

Here's the chart from the 12th so you can see trends. Vehicle production seems to be recovering.
The engines look the way they do because I cancelled a number of obsolete engines and set the factories to convert to current models, mostly Ha- 32, 33, 34 and 45. I also cancelled the Kawasaki Ha-60.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/29/2013 2:23:48 AM   
geofflambert

This is only a test. Trying to make sure there is someone alive out there:

I just saw a good movie on cable. It was based on the following:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/29/2013 3:27:00 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Now, remembering this is my first time playing the Japanese, here's the tracker chart from the 11th. If you see anything really out of whack, please advise. I don't know what I did to cause the vehicle prod pts to crash the way they did, the only warning I have is a critical one on veh. prod.

You start only producing about 78 VEH/turn ... that is only about 6 devices per turn, hardly anything. As IJ, you have to be REALLY careful with turning on your replacements. You can burn a lot of HI in a hurry. As a rule, I only turn on 1 or 2 units at a time max for the first 6 months ... Both VEH and ARM are 6 HI each ...

Pax

Post #: 22
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/29/2013 4:10:33 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
You start only producing about 78 VEH/turn ... that is only about 6 devices per turn, hardly anything. As IJ, you have to be REALLY careful with turning on your replacements. You can burn a lot of HI in a hurry. As a rule, I only turn on 1 or 2 units at a time max for the first 6 months ... Both VEH and ARM are 6 HI each ...

Also remembering I'm pretty dense (I'm a gorn after all), do you mean LCU replacements? I can turn those off in a flash. At some point my production needs to catch up with my usage, though. So far all is riding on the fact that I stopped Yamato, Mushashi and Shinano. I turned off most of the xAK production. Is there something more I need to do?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 23
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/29/2013 5:06:13 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Also remembering I'm pretty dense (I'm a gorn after all), do you mean LCU replacements? I can turn those off in a flash. At some point my production needs to catch up with my usage, though.

Yes. I expand VEH to at least 150 -> 200. Some people will go to 250, depending on how many losses your ARM units will take. 250 = about 10 tanks or 20 MotSupport replacements per turn.

quote:

So far all is riding on the fact that I stopped Yamato, Mushashi and Shinano. I turned off most of the xAK production. Is there something more I need to do?

I'm kinda weird. I HALT ALL ships first, then I go back and turn which ones I need built back on. I accelerate ALL CV's/CVE's that are scheduled to arrive after 12/42. I want as many to arrive in '43 as I can. After '43 they don't have as much value. If I can get them in '43, I can keep pace with the allies for a bit longer unless my losses are bad.

AirCraft R&D - I pick out exactly which fighters I want to end up with and start researching them from the start. I focus on only a few: 3 each for Army/Navy. Example might be: George/Sam/Shinden and Tojo/Frank/Jet. Getting the 2nd one of the list in late 43 and the last one in mid/late 44 is the goal you are shooting for.

Finally: you need to stockpile HI. You want at least 4M HI in the bank before you lose the DEI. more is better. and you need ARM/VEH pts in the bank at that point as well ~500K total is a good target.

Good luck.

PS: no idea what a Gorn is, but I do not hold it against you. Live long and Prosper!

Pax

Post #: 24
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/29/2013 6:22:32 AM   
geofflambert

I halted all ships (that were not building) then turned back on the TKs and AOs. I've been using Damien's primer as my bible (problem is I can't read, I just feel the bumps on the page {that is the page I'm feeling, isn't it? Oops, sorry maam.}) I'm converting a lot of ships and I'm not done yet.

As you can see, I've cancelled Tony. I can be building more Tojos earlier that are competitive, and eliminating a whole line of engines is an added bonus as far as efficiency goes. Shindens and the other late war stuff is of dubious value as the war is virtually over by the time they appear (if they even arrive soon enough) but I'm not entirely discounting them.

I ordered the expansion of HI at Saigon 10 the last turn and Keijo 10 this turn, is that advisable? In the case of Saigon, I'd prefer to up the HI pts. near my fuel sources, but Keijo is dicey there, but I think maybe there's a little room there.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 25
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/29/2013 4:13:45 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

quote:

I am thinking this supports my premise that in a Scenario #1 situation the Allies can strain the IJ replacement pools by focusing ground bombing attacks on armored units. At least my first opponent provided that feedback as I focused on his armored units in the open in Burma and Oz ... I guess there is some decisions of how many points and how many types of Supplies vs. Vehicles to produce? As an AFB I have no clue ... I also understand that the pools do not fill right way and that a time lag of sorts is involved after reallocating factories?

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 26
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/30/2013 2:24:54 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I halted all ships (that were not building) then turned back on the TKs and AOs. I've been using Damien's primer as my bible (problem is I can't read, I just feel the bumps on the page {that is the page I'm feeling, isn't it? Oops, sorry maam.}) I'm converting a lot of ships and I'm not done yet.

As you can see, I've cancelled Tony. I can be building more Tojos earlier that are competitive, and eliminating a whole line of engines is an added bonus as far as efficiency goes. Shindens and the other late war stuff is of dubious value as the war is virtually over by the time they appear (if they even arrive soon enough) but I'm not entirely discounting them.

I ordered the expansion of HI at Saigon 10 the last turn and Keijo 10 this turn, is that advisable? In the case of Saigon, I'd prefer to up the HI pts. near my fuel sources, but Keijo is dicey there, but I think maybe there's a little room there.

HI expansion depends upon your goals and whether you achieve them.

If your goal is only the historical range that IJ attained, then expanding HI is prolly a waste of supply.

If your goal include fuel/oil sources that historically IJ did not attain, then expanding HI can be a good idea IF you are able to realize those goals.

HI require fuel. If you just follow the historical route then the amount of HI you capture along with that amount of fuel, by mid 45 you are out of fuel meaning you have no futher HI production. Building more just means you run out of fuel that much sooner, you didn't build any additional HI.

Example: If I plan to be able to secure Burma oil centers for 6 months by taking and holding Calcutta through 3/43, then I get 6*300*30 = 54000 more oil center days (~475,000 fuel) than historical results. I can now decide do I want to use that fuel for HI or for more KB movement? OR some split of the two. In which case I might decide to build more HI OR not and be able to build HI into late '45 instead ... depends.

Pax

Post #: 27
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/31/2013 12:25:40 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

If your goal is only the historical range that IJ attained, then expanding HI is prolly a waste of supply.

I believe you are right in the case of Keijo, but with Saigon, it is nearer to the source of fuel, so even if I must reduce HI in the home islands, that might be a good idea.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 28
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/31/2013 12:26:53 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

If your goal include fuel/oil sources that historically IJ did not attain, then expanding HI can be a good idea IF you are able to realize those goals.

Those will be Northwestern China and Northern India. No comment.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 29
RE: As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C - 8/31/2013 12:29:14 AM   
geofflambert

12/12/41 I'll give a fuller report later, but I see my Vehicle points have dropped back to 3. Incidentally, my opponent has not begun to bomb any of my ground units.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> As the wyrmm turns, or A gorn in his side DBB-C Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI