Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/1/2013 11:51:09 PM   
lesley

the ships btw is Hms Northumberland and Hms Brocklesby(My son Serves on it) :)

(in reply to lesley)
Post #: 181
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/1/2013 11:57:16 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Thanks for the info, it's always interesting to hear the veterans stories from a more personal source, for some reason they're more interesting (alive/colourful/less sterile?) than most that make it into books.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to share (relevant) pics/stories to do it in here.

Like most vets, he doesn't like to talk about it too much. I can tell there are demons in there, but he's unwilling to talk about it. I have tried to get him to write it down, but he doesn't want to.

I did find a short clip a few months back that was shot be some guys in his unit on Attu:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675058436_United-States-B-25-bomber_board-a-plane_get-down-from-a-jeep_flight-crew

He recognized some of the guys in this clip.

You said you get airsick in the Lancaster. The exhaust probably isn't helping. I have a messed up inner ear and I've always been prone to motion sickness. When flying I've found I do quite well if I take Dramamine.

When I got a ride in a P-51 I didn't have any Dramamine (it was also before I was taking it regularly to fly). When the pilot started up the engine exhaust fumes came back into the cockpit and I immediately felt queasy. It went downhill from there. It was still great.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 182
RE: OT: Planes, Planes and More Planes - 9/2/2013 6:26:44 PM   
sandman455

quote:

*It might be style, but apparently my 'thing' is getting massively airsick in the Lancaster. Whether it's the exhaust fumes, the vibrations or a combination of the two I don't know. I lasted nearly an hour before losing my lunch today. Still totally worth it.

Absolutely stunning pictures - thank you for sharing!

I made it all the way to the S-3 without getting sick in a navy aircraft which include ACM in T-2's and TA-4's. My first S3 flight was in the right front and for some odd reason I started feeling ill. I made the horrible mistake of admitting some queasiness. After that the instructor pilot took great care in describing how when we landing he was heading straight for the snack bar to get one of those juicy, extra greasy burgers with lots of greasy fries.

I still made it to the tarmac (puking in my mouth, refusing to open and just swallowing it all back down) only to puke my guts out by the wheel well. He was totally impressed with my efforts - the glorious SOB. After that I never hesitated to do the same to anyone hehe. The scene in Hunt for Red October with the E-2 crewman torturing Ryan is spot on.

And less you think anyone is immune - I saw the XO/pilot of an S-3 squadron (5000+ hours) puking when he was PIC. He made the mistake of giving the stick to a midshipman on a fam/good deal hop. The kid was having the time of his life zigzagging through the top of a cloud layer somewhere in the Indian Ocean. The negative/positive G's were annoying to us sitting in the back, but we said nothing since I was giving a NATOPS check ride to the Airwing ASW officer and we were use to being abused in the dark. The XO was clearly not. He finally had enough and took the stick away, only to give it back, while he borrowed a puke bag from the midshipman.

Gary S (USN 1320, 1985-1993)
AOCS 1985, VT10 1985-86, VT86 1986, VS41 1986-87
VS32 1987-90 (NSO/NWTO, deployed w/CV-66, CVN-71)
VS27 1990-91 (NATOPS/Safety)
SFWSLANT 1991-93 (AGM-84 All platforms, S-3 A/B systems)

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 183
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/2/2013 10:20:51 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: lesley

I was on Bournemouth beach for some of those flypasts,apparently everything small is a spitfire if you believe everyone stood near me. Shame the Vulcan was ill, it's allways impressive.

Which days were you there to see the flypast? I was at the show last year, but on the memorabilia/PR trailer in the RAF 'village' near the Oceanarium. This year was an easier one from my point of view, aeroplane work is more complicated but much shorter hours and the chance of a sit down as well! We (the ground crew) did get down to the RAF bit a couple of times on Thursday/Friday.

P.S. What does your son do with the RN? If he'd tried harder he could have joined the RAF!

< Message edited by Dixie -- 9/2/2013 10:29:30 PM >

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to lesley)
Post #: 184
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/2/2013 10:28:17 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Like most vets, he doesn't like to talk about it too much. I can tell there are demons in there, but he's unwilling to talk about it. I have tried to get him to write it down, but he doesn't want to.

I did find a short clip a few months back that was shot be some guys in his unit on Attu:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675058436_United-States-B-25-bomber_board-a-plane_get-down-from-a-jeep_flight-crew

He recognized some of the guys in this clip.

You said you get airsick in the Lancaster. The exhaust probably isn't helping. I have a messed up inner ear and I've always been prone to motion sickness. When flying I've found I do quite well if I take Dramamine.

When I got a ride in a P-51 I didn't have any Dramamine (it was also before I was taking it regularly to fly). When the pilot started up the engine exhaust fumes came back into the cockpit and I immediately felt queasy. It went downhill from there. It was still great.

Bill

I can understand that, it's a shame from our viewpoint so many years later that the memories are being lost to us. Like many he obviously has his reasons and I can respect that.

Most of the veterans I speak to are willing to share at least some of their experiences, but that's because they choose to come to us usually. Often the best way to hear reminiscing about their experiences is to just listen when a group of them get together.

As for the airsickness, I've been fine in the rear turret although it's a bit cramped. In the mid-upper I've been sick after about an hour. The nose was annoying because I lasted a good two hours and then lost it as we were on finals for home

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 185
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/3/2013 8:46:19 PM   
lesley

"Dixie" P.S. What does your son do with the RN? If he'd tried harder he could have joined the RAF!

:) I think he'd prolly agree with you,but hey it was a hell of a step up from working for Subway making bad food.

we went all three days as it's nice to see the boy,i didn't bother too much with the PR/Trailers when such good stuff was in the air:)

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 186
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 8:17:58 PM   
Dixie

I'm back! It's October, it's cold and the flying season is over. Which means one thing:

Winter Maintenance! It's that time of year when we pull our aeroplanes apart and do all the stuff that keeps them flying for another year. I'm on the Dakota this year, it's not my first choice (because it's a bus with wings, and buses are not cool) but it's still better than working on a 'normal' aeroplane.

Here she is outside the hangar this morning, we had to drag her out to get one of the Spitfires outside for an engine run. The engine cowlings are off as are a few other panels in various locations.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to lesley)
Post #: 187
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 8:18:57 PM   
Dixie

And a view from the rear, showing a few more of the removed panels. Since this pic was taken the rear door has come off as well.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 188
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 8:19:54 PM   
Dixie

A close up of the cockpit and her mission scoreboard, with the two flags we found whilst doing some actual work.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 189
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 8:21:57 PM   
Dixie

We've also had one of our Spitfires repainted for next year's D-Day 70th anniversary. MK356 is now wearing the colours of 'Johnny' Plagis, a Rhodesian/Greek ace. She was the Spit that we had to engine run today.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 190
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 8:22:45 PM   
Dixie

And here she is, in the middle of the run when I was sat taking the Dak's flight deck seating to pieces.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 191
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 8:24:41 PM   
Dixie

And this is what she looks like. The D-Day stripes are half width, something that several squadrons in 10 Group had.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 192
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 8:28:27 PM   
Dixie

My favourite, LF363. She's undergoing a major servicing, a first for us and hopefully the first of many. The usual servicing is a primary with an annual thrown in for good measure. She's had her fabric stripped off, undercarriage removed, engine and engine bearers out, flying controls removed, oil system removed and control cables removed. IIRC she's also had her hydraulic system, radiator and the cooling system removed.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 193
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 8:31:24 PM   
Dixie

Side view, showing how much spruce went into her construsction as well as the steel framework which carries the Hurricane's weight. Seen like this, the Great War era construction techniques can be seen and it's obvious how outdated the construction is compared to the semi-monocoque Spitfire.

It also partly explains why the Hurricane is harder to push around on the ground.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 194
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 8:45:36 PM   
Jellicoe

Thank you for those fabulous shots of the Lancaster. Particularly interested to see the inside shots. My grandfather was the navigator bomb aimer with 50 squadron until he bailed out over Hannover in October 1943. The official record says he was shot down by flak although he always said it was a nightfighter. Either way 2 of his colleagues didn't make it. He said that as he was bailing out he was sitting in the hatchway and then remembered that he was supposed to go head first and the next thing he remembers was being on the end of his chute. He walked for a day before being captured and sent to Stalag Luft III for the remainder of the war during which he was part of camp counter intelligence and decoy for the guards whilst they were digging the great escape tunnels as he was a fluent German speaker. He wasn't the escaping type however which was lucky given what happened to those who went out. As the Russians approached they were force marched in sub zero temperatures from southern Poland to Denmark where he was liberated. He never spoke about the last bit which I only found out about through later reading.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 195
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 10/24/2013 9:08:09 PM   
Dixie

No worries I aim to please. Unless it's hard work

I grew up on the former site of RAF Skellingthorpe and my junior school hosted several 50 & 61 Sqn reunions so I managed to speak to a few of the veterans back when I was a wee lad. Looking back on it, it almost seems like a wasted opportunity given I was so young. OTOH, the BBMF was the reason I joined the RAF having grown up surrounded by the former bomber bases and having contact with the veterans.

I love the Lanc, even if she had made me airsick several times I told my parents I was going to fly on her way back when I was about 3-4 years old. Now look at me, flying on her, cleaning her, fixing her and chucking up on her as well!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jellicoe

Thank you for those fabulous shots of the Lancaster. Particularly interested to see the inside shots. My grandfather was the navigator bomb aimer with 50 squadron until he bailed out over Hannover in October 1943. The official record says he was shot down by flak although he always said it was a nightfighter. Either way 2 of his colleagues didn't make it. He said that as he was bailing out he was sitting in the hatchway and then remembered that he was supposed to go head first and the next thing he remembers was being on the end of his chute. He walked for a day before being captured and sent to Stalag Luft III for the remainder of the war during which he was part of camp counter intelligence and decoy for the guards whilst they were digging the great escape tunnels as he was a fluent German speaker. He wasn't the escaping type however which was lucky given what happened to those who went out. As the Russians approached they were force marched in sub zero temperatures from southern Poland to Denmark where he was liberated. He never spoke about the last bit which I only found out about through later reading.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 196
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/14/2014 8:42:54 PM   
Dixie

I just got back from a long weekend away in Jersey with work. Probably the best trip I've had so far, despite the long hours and other issues. Because I got to see (and fly on) both flying Avro Lancasters in the same week. I took over 800 pictures amongst all the work

Somewhere over the Channel.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 197
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/14/2014 8:43:30 PM   
Dixie

On the way to Bournemouth

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 198
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/14/2014 8:44:30 PM   
Dixie

Flying with another Lancaster in line astern less than 50 metres away is an amazing sight! This is over Goodwood

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 199
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/15/2014 8:00:03 AM   
JeffroK

How much do you pay to work at the BBMF????

(Pommy taxpayers money at work, no wonder the Scots want out)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 200
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/15/2014 8:52:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Flying with another Lancaster in line astern less than 50 metres away is an amazing sight! This is over Goodwood

warspite1

I say it everytime you post - but I just can't help it, it HAS to be said. Just. Beautiful

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 201
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/15/2014 10:43:01 AM   
Gunner98

Amazing photos and opportunity!

The only downside is that I was down in Hamilton over the weekend and decided to pop into the Canadian Warplane Heritage museum - great little collection BTW - only to find out that the Lank was off in England doing this sort of stuff and I'll have to go back and see it when it returns Oh curses...

B

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 202
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/15/2014 1:19:30 PM   
obvert

Amazing job! Great photos too!

Hey, next time you guys are flying around London give me a shout or maybe post something beforehand. I live on the 18th floor and have seen a few flights go over, but I'm often late with the camera as I only know when I hear the planes.

Here is a shot from June. You guys flew nearly over my building!

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 203
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/15/2014 4:16:02 PM   
Jellicoe

Fabulous!

The only thing better than the sound of four merlins is eight merlins (or possibly 10!)

I guess that it's only fair that Canada gets a go with 2 lancasters next

Overseas trip planned Dixie?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 204
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/15/2014 6:37:41 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

How much do you pay to work at the BBMF????

(Pommy taxpayers money at work, no wonder the Scots want out)

Oh I've paid alright! In fact, I'm still paying...

And I'll have you know I'm part Scottish.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 205
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/15/2014 6:40:51 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jellicoe

Fabulous!

The only thing better than the sound of four merlins is eight merlins (or possibly 10!)

I guess that it's only fair that Canada gets a go with 2 lancasters next

Overseas trip planned Dixie?

I think that's unlikely, although I'd love to do it. The old girl is off for a major servicing next year and by the time she comes back I'll most likely be out of the RAF.

For various reasons I haven't had much to do with the Lanc this year, I've only been away with her twice, and I've been looking after the fighters more often.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 206
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/15/2014 6:54:38 PM   
Dixie

I took this one at Jersey between flights. I came over all arty and stuff, this is probably one of the best pictures I've taken.

Attachment (1)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 207
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/15/2014 9:42:00 PM   
rjopel

Wave Dixie.

< Message edited by rjopel -- 9/15/2014 10:53:41 PM >

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 208
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/24/2014 10:35:27 AM   
Gunner98

Here is some video of the 2 Lanks  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAQ3lcAgef0&feature=youtu.be

B

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 209
RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff - 9/26/2014 9:33:40 AM   
traskott

Great pictures. Those Lancaster are beautiful

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Dixie's BBMF stuff Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI