Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WHEN?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: WHEN? Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WHEN? - 8/20/2013 3:44:58 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
quote:

ORIGINAL: pochepiller
Educated guess from Warspite, Crussdaddy, Neilcaster ex girlfriend, Bo, Geronimo would be great.

What is yours guess?

David
Québec
Canada
warspite1
I'm somewhere between Neilster's ex-girlfriend and Geronimo.

The vision is hideous but I hope you enjoy yourself

She's not into that :)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 3391
RE: Proper Place? - 8/20/2013 4:52:13 PM   
pochepiller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio
But no, I don't consider that we have the right to request a date,

Pressing on Steve to give a date that he is not ready to give,

Again, I have nothing against you, and I share your concern and eagerness, but I am an adult and can wait the necessary time for a project to be carried correctly.

Jose I agree with all you said but let my clarify things:
I didn't request any date, I wanted speculation to for the fun of it.
I didn't press anything on Steve and I won't.
I have nothing against you also but I'm an adult also and maybe I like to speculate about thing and talk about them without engaging any request. I'm also able to make a difference between demanding something to be ready right now and inquiring when its ready out of eagerness and curiousity.

I will wait like everybody I'm was just asking and wanted to have some fun with prediction but it seems clear to me that became difficult.

So I'll get back to lurking.

David
Quebec

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 3392
RE: WHEN? - 8/23/2013 6:19:22 PM   
elxaime

Great works of art take time:

http://crazyhorsememorial.org/

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 3393
RE: Proper Place? - 8/27/2013 3:22:48 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lingering Frey

Steve,

When the game is available for purchase, will there be a "boxed + digital" version available or only digital?

Thanks

Wrong on both counts. Only boxed.

Really? Why? No digital only?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3394
RE: Proper Place? - 8/27/2013 7:34:26 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lingering Frey

Steve,

When the game is available for purchase, will there be a "boxed + digital" version available or only digital?

Thanks

Wrong on both counts. Only boxed.

Really? Why? No digital only?

We consider the Players Manual essential to play the game. Although it will be available as a PDF, its size would make printing it out on your own computer very expensive. Matrix gets the printing done at a much lower price. And reading through the Players Manual on the screen as a PDF would be frustrating rather quickly. As one example, the section on using the Production Planning form is 20 pages long with 24 screenshots.

Some will argue with the points I made above. But since you asked why, that was our logic.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 3395
RE: Proper Place? - 8/27/2013 9:22:33 PM   
Easo79

Steve

That would explain the no digital only thing...but why not is digital also included? I want the manual...but..(here comes the embarrasing part)...errr...my DVD/CD is broken... I was planning to buy a new , wonderful, HUGE monitor only to satisfy my ego while conquering the world...do I need to include a DVD reader in the budget?

< Message edited by Easo79 -- 8/27/2013 9:23:26 PM >

Post #: 3396
RE: Proper Place? - 8/27/2013 9:25:53 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Easo79

Steve

That would explain the no digital only thing...but why not is digital also included? I want the manual...but..(here comes the embarrasing part)...errr...my DVD/CD is broken... I was planning to buy a new , wonderful, HUGE monitor only to satisfy my ego while conquering the world...do I need to include a DVD reader in the budget?

No need.

Customers will be able to download the game as normal. The printed manuals would arrive in the mail later.

Steve

(in reply to Easo79)
Post #: 3397
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 12:47:57 AM   
brian brian

Couldn't the nearest Staples/Office Max/Kinko's-FedEx Office print it locally for cheaper than Matrix could deliver it to you?

Post #: 3398
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 1:49:58 AM   
CrusssDaddy

Here's another example of this project being left behind by technology. PDF manuals look great and are very convenient on tablets... but this game isn't compatible with devices from this decade. Ship a 3lb. chunk of dead tree through the mail? Sure, made sense in 2004 so it makes sense now! Will there still be a post office when this is released? Probably (we hope)!

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 3399
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 2:36:01 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Couldn't the nearest Staples/Office Max/Kinko's-FedEx Office print it locally for cheaper than Matrix could deliver it to you?

I doubt it.

Maybe - if you went with black and white on a poor quality paper. You would also have to assemble it somehow - using a stapler wouldn't work (not even the heavy duty stapler I have with long pronged staples).

Steve

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 3400
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 3:39:51 AM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

quote:

I doubt it.

Maybe - if you went with black and white on a poor quality paper. You would also have to assemble it somehow - using a stapler wouldn't work (not even the heavy duty stapler I have with long pronged staples).

Printing shops take care of the assembly for you.

Post #: 3401
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 5:05:12 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

quote:

quote:

I doubt it.

Printing shops take care of the assembly for you.

Well, after the game is released and the Players Manual is available, I think the relative cost of having Kinko's or Staples create a printed version can be better assessed by all.

---

I have done a lot of printing for my various companies. I've owned different color printers over the past 20+ years and always found printing material in-house cheaper than going to various printers. I checked them out at least once a year, because I was doing a lot of printing and it was my money I was spending. Comparing what it would cost me to print these manuals versus what the cost will be from Matrix isn't close. Volume discounts are substantial when printing thousands versus 1 copy.

Steve

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 3402
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 5:01:38 PM   
CrusssDaddy

What kind of volume is Matrix anticipating for MWiF? Just ballpark it for me.

Post #: 3403
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 7:00:22 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I did.

Steve

Post #: 3404
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 7:56:07 PM   
Numdydar

I can easily attest that individual printing is a LOT more expensive and time consuming than you might think if you want a professional looking result. I wanted a full color and bound manual for Uncommon Valor and it took me $100 and several hours to print it locally. This was because to save money, I printed out all the pages on the B&W printer at Kinko's and only the color pages on the color printer.Needless to say this took a lot longer than I wanted.

To put this subject about printing the manual on your own to rest. As a test, I upload my WitP AE manual (which is about 400 pages and has lots of color so I think it is a good example to compare to WiF's manual) to Kinko's online system and it would cost me $204 dollars for full color printing and binding . Somehow I think Matrix can easily beat that price

For everything in B&W it still would run $50 to print it out. B&W may be fine for some, but it is not what I would want. So I am VERY happy that Matrix is printing the manual instead of me

Post #: 3405
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 8:26:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I can easily attest that individual printing is a LOT more expensive and time consuming than you might think if you want a professional looking result. I wanted a full color and bound manual for Uncommon Valor and it took me $100 and several hours to print it locally. This was because to save money, I printed out all the pages on the B&W printer at Kinko's and only the color pages on the color printer.Needless to say this took a lot longer than I wanted.

To put this subject about printing the manual on your own to rest. As a test, I upload my WitP AE manual (which is about 400 pages and has lots of color so I think it is a good example to compare to WiF's manual) to Kinko's online system and it would cost me $204 dollars for full color printing and binding . Somehow I think Matrix can easily beat that price

For everything in B&W it still would run $50 to print it out. B&W may be fine for some, but it is not what I would want. So I am VERY happy that Matrix is printing the manual instead of me

Thank you for checking up on my 'off-the-top-of-my-head' assumptions.

Steve

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 3406
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 9:20:35 PM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

quote:

I did.

Ah, Matrix has made no commitment then. Understood.

If Matrix expect to earn a discount on printing expenses then they must be expecting a large run. Is this a safe assumption? I ask because there is a widespread belief on this forum, held holy and incontestable, that MWiF is a niche product: this fact is invoked whenever the lack of development resources allocated to this project is questioned. "How can they hire another programmer? That costs money and YOU KNOW THIS IS A NICHE PRODUCT WHERE WILL THE MONEY COME FROM?!?!?!?" Every time the lack of support from Matrix is held up to the light, the response from fandom here is a wise, tired chuckle with eyes rolled heavenward and the reaffirmation that the market is only a handful of true believers and the current support is at just the right level for sales expectations.

But now there is interest sufficient to fractionalize printing costs with bulk manual orders? It is no longer viewed as a niche product? Is this a correct assessment?

Post #: 3407
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 9:42:03 PM   
Numdydar

Geez man give it a rest will you?

Printing discounts can be had by anyone if you want enough copies made. They are normally at 100, 500, 1,000 for a single print run. Matrix on the other hand has contracted with a printing company for ALL their printing needs over the course of a year or longer. So Matrix's printing costs are spread among ALL their titles not just a single one. So even if WiF sells only 100 copies (which i doubt) it will still be cheaper for them to print the manual than us. So you cannot extrapolate printing costs into how many copies they think they can sell.

My guess would in the 1,000 unit range because ALL turn based strategy are a nice market even if they sell 10 or 100 times that number.

Post #: 3408
RE: Proper Place? - 8/28/2013 10:58:51 PM   
Tonqeen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I did.

Ah, Matrix has made no commitment then. Understood.

If Matrix expect to earn a discount on printing expenses then they must be expecting a large run. Is this a safe assumption? I ask because there is a widespread belief on this forum, held holy and incontestable, that MWiF is a niche product: this fact is invoked whenever the lack of development resources allocated to this project is questioned. "How can they hire another programmer? That costs money and YOU KNOW THIS IS A NICHE PRODUCT WHERE WILL THE MONEY COME FROM?!?!?!?" Every time the lack of support from Matrix is held up to the light, the response from fandom here is a wise, tired chuckle with eyes rolled heavenward and the reaffirmation that the market is only a handful of true believers and the current support is at just the right level for sales expectations.

But now there is interest sufficient to fractionalize printing costs with bulk manual orders? It is no longer viewed as a niche product? Is this a correct assessment?

Cant you burn your frustration on facebook or similar?

Post #: 3409
RE: Proper Place? - 8/29/2013 10:16:16 AM   
Joseignacio

XDDDDD

(in reply to Tonqeen)
Post #: 3410
RE: Proper Place? - 8/29/2013 1:55:16 PM   
vonRocko

Hey crussdaddy, I'm not humping my ass over to kinkos or anywhere else to get it printed.So let them print it and shut up already.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 3411
RE: Proper Place? - 8/29/2013 2:54:28 PM   
michaelbaldur

as I have said many times, ignore him when he is bad.

and reward him when he is good, by answering him.

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 3412
RE: Proper Place? - 8/29/2013 3:26:44 PM   
Neilster

I'm pretty sure I'm not going anywhere called "Kinko's". Haven't they heard that Kinko the Kid Loving Clown song? They couldn't come up with a better name than Kinko's? Lordy.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 8/29/2013 3:27:40 PM >

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 3413
RE: Proper Place? - 8/29/2013 3:32:58 PM   
Neilster

OK...I found out it was started by a guy whose nickname was Kinko because of his curly hair and it was before the song. Still a crappy name because who trusts anything to a clown? Clowns are creepy too.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 3414
RE: Proper Place? - 8/29/2013 3:42:26 PM   
Neilster

One of my mates is a Croatian-Australian and his grandfather's name was Bozo. I suggested that it would be a wonderful tribute and a lovely touch to call his son Bozo too. Actually I suggested so much that he finally said, "I am not going to call my kid f@*%ing Bozo!"

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 3415
RE: Proper Place? - 8/29/2013 6:36:46 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

One of my mates is a Croatian-Australian and his grandfather's name was Bozo. I suggested that it would be a wonderful tribute and a lovely touch to call his son Bozo too. Actually I suggested so much that he finally said, "I am not going to call my kid f@*%ing Bozo!"

Cheers, Neilster

Peter

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 3416
RE: Proper Place? - 8/30/2013 1:21:21 PM   
Peeking Duck?

Erm, can someone clarify this? Am I correct in reading there will not be a PDF version of the game manual available?

Please tell me I read that incorrectly. I would hate to think I've waited almost 20 years for this game to see the light of day only to not be able to play it :( I simply can not fathom any sensible reason for not including a PDF manual so I'll assume I read it wrong?

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 3417
RE: Proper Place? - 8/30/2013 2:56:00 PM   
Mike Parker

Peeking,

I am almost sure there will be a .pdf also. I believe what was said is that there is no way to purchase the game without a boxed copy which will include a printed manual. You would include the .pdf if for no other reason to allow you to search the thing for keywords.

I could have misunderstood also what was said but that is the impression I got, that there will be no option "Digital Only"

(in reply to Peeking Duck?)
Post #: 3418
RE: Proper Place? - 8/30/2013 4:43:57 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

Peeking,

I am almost sure there will be a .pdf also. I believe what was said is that there is no way to purchase the game without a boxed copy which will include a printed manual. You would include the .pdf if for no other reason to allow you to search the thing for keywords.

I could have misunderstood also what was said but that is the impression I got, that there will be no option "Digital Only"

Correct.

The PDF is also accessible from the Main form's help menu, and via the shortcut keys F1, F2, F3.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 8/30/2013 4:44:21 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 3419
RE: Proper Place? - 9/2/2013 5:48:10 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

September 1, 2013 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Note:
I’ll be traveling to Philadelphia in the last week of September for the second annual followup at Wills Eye Hospital for the surgery on my left eye’s melanoma. Next month’s status report will most likely be a day or two late.

Accomplishments of August 2013

Hardware and Software
I purchased replacement headphones for completing the recording of the training videos. Lovely Hawaiian salt air had dissolved all the thin plastic elements in my old ones. Complementing that purchase, I upgraded my copy of the Camtasia software from version 5 to 8.1; Camtasia is for recording a video of an executing program with audio voice-over.

The three open items for Theme Engine remain the same.

Beta Testing
In August I released 4 new versions to the beta testers: 11.00.01 (18 fixes), 11.00.02 (29 fixes), 11.00.03 (1 fix), and 11.00.04 (10 fixes). Release 11.00.03 fixed a fatal bug that was preventing the beta testers from testing new games. The numbers of new versions and fixes (58) are below my averages. That’s because of the time I spent on the final preparation of the printed material and redoing a couple of the training videos. The former are on the critical path for releasing the game. For the latter, I wanted to re-familiarize myself with the process, since I still have 3 training videos left to do, and the last time I did one was four years ago.

I cleaned up a couple dozen odds and ends in the world of existing bugs, but spent the bulk of my debugging time on NetPlay. I now have all 8 air missions executing correctly in NetPlay. More on that below.

Here is a summary of my Master Task List (MTL) as of September 1st. My task list count stands at 86, down from 95 at the start of the month. However, there are another 17 posts from the beta testers I haven’t checked into yet. Bugs can be corrected quickly (as per the 47 fixes for the first two new versions this month), or slowly, like the last 5 days I’ve spent working on the Naval Combat bug(s) in NetPlay. Grind, grind, grind.

NetPlay [6] 1785, 1826, 2056, 2099, 2100, 2101

Sequence of Play [58]
Supply [13]: 1070, 1982, 1988, 2061, 2064, 2078, 2083, 2086, 2088, 2089, 2106, 2128, 2130
DOW [1]: 2094
Air Missions [5]: 1611, 1890, 1925, 1996, 2117
Naval Movement [1]: 1990
Naval Combat [2]: 1724, 874
Land Movement [1]: 2118
Land Combat Declaration [1]: 1995
Use Oil [2]: 2042, 2091
Production Planning [21]: 1107, {847, 961, 1347}, 326, 1644, 1671, 1825, 1862, 1863, 1864, 1893, 1895, 1973, 2006, 2014, 2020, 2084, 2111, 2112, 2113, 2122, 2126
Search Seizure [1]: 409
Conquest [1]: 1047
Vichy [5]: 1803, 1811, 2017, 2028, 2063
Liberation [1]: 1919
Overstacked Digression [2]: 1931, 2074
Final Reorganization [1]: 1733

Non-sequence of Play [22]
Detailed Map [7]: 1188, 142, 769,140, 1501, 1956, 2121
Player Interface [5]: 1901, 1920, 1922, 2048, 2077
Interactive Tutorial [1]: 2043
Game Save/Restore [6]: 695, 110, 118, 1778, 1907, 2123
Theme Engine [3]: {1050, 568}, {1513, 1467, 966, 1455, 1573, 1655}, 1928

Saved Games
Done, except for the bugs listed above.

Map, Units, and Scenarios
As I get additional unit writeups I add them to the collection.

Optional Rules
Nothing new.

Game Engine
Other than fixing supply bugs, I have no remaining tasks related to this.

Player Interface
Done, except for the bugs listed above.

Internet - NetPlay
I spent at least half my time in August on NetPlay.

Debugging the NetPlay code is some of the most difficult programming I've ever had to do. I need to keep two images of the code in my head with each computer at different points in the code, with different values for their internal variables. And then I need to envision the actions by the two players causing messages (Game Record Logs) to be sent between the computers which change the status of variables. Besides the normal stuff of timers to control the transmission, receipt, queuing, and processing of messages between computers, I also have the program running timers in some phases waiting for players to make open-ended decisions about what should happen next. Currently I have 582 GRL record definitions for all the different actions that can happen during a game.

I finally got Port Attacks to work cleanly (a bug first reported in March), and I got air-to-air combat (first reported in February) finished as well. Port attacks have all the subphases of the other air missions as well as elements of naval combat (search numbers, excluding submarines, surprise points, and the naval combat results table). Air-to-air combat has 11 subphases with multiple rounds, and there can be multiple combats being resolved for any given air mission. Both of these have random assignments of which side makes decisions at various points in their processing. In NetPlay, having to disable one computer from taking any action while the other player decides what to do occurs a lot in the game. When it happens repeatedly while a complex form is visible on both computers, coding the process is extremely difficult. There are screenshots below showing the sequence of play for air-to-air combat and naval combat.

Naval combat is another bug first reported in February. Naval combat has 28 subphases and like air-to-air combat, there can be multiple rounds and multiple combats being resolved. This has been driving me nuts for the past 5 days. At the end of this report are some screenshots from debugging naval combat, port attacks, and air-to-air combat. The last two are bug free at this point.

In naval combat the program would get as far as the 10th subphase okay. When I put in debug messages to help me analyze the problems with going to the 11th subphase, the Axis computer would get stuck on the 3rd subphase. Because there are so many steps to recreate a problem, I thought I was doing something wrong with the mouse or keyboard on one of the two computers. Eventually I determined that it was merely the presence of the debug messages that was causing the program’s behavior to change. Tracking that down, I found that the timing loops would get out-of-sync if one computer took longer in responding to a debug message. Continuing backwards, I determined that the transition from subphase 0 to subphase 1 was where the real problem occurred. Fixing that, I was able to get the program to advance as far as the 6th subphase, where the Allied computer ran into trouble. As I write this I have gotten up to the 9th subphase (spending surprise points). I’m still trying to get back to the happy days earlier this week when my problems were in the 10th subphase.

While I hacked away at fixing the NetPlay code [picture me with a machete in the hot, humid jungles of Burma while mosquitoes feast on my exposed body parts], the beta testers (mosquitoes?) posted about 1 new bug a day. Mercifully, the importance of those keeps getting less and less, as far as actually playing the game. Some are critical; but some are about cosmetic stuff or "Gee, it would great if ...", which I dutifully record but am unlikely to do anything about for the initial release.

Most of the phases with long subphase sequences have been tested and debugged for NetPlay. The only one untested is the creation of Vichy France. I’ll have the beta testers start testing that next.

PBEM
Nothing new.

Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Nothing substantially new. Peter S. has been working on the strategic plans for Italy and I added a comment or three from time to time.

Player’s Manual and Rules as Coded (RAC)
These are at the printers. I’ll post some sample pages of the Players Manual to the World in Flames forum once I get permission to do so. By the way, the cover page for the Players Manual is my new desktop background.

Tutorials and Training Videos
I completed my review of the existing training videos, done in the summer of 2009 (four years ago). Of the 9 chapters that I completed that summer, 7 are still accurate:
2 Map basics (20 minutes, 27 seconds)
3 Unit basics (28:27)
4 Sequence of play (33:56)
5 Turns impulse, weather, and supply (25:28)
7 Starting and new game and setting up units (55:40)
8 Air movement and combat (23:43)
9 Land movement and combat (43:46)

This month I re-recorded chapters 1 and 6 which were woefully out-of-date. Chapter 1 is an Introduction to the training videos covering the Opening screen, with an overview of: (1) the picture & text and interactive tutorials, (2) the scenarios, and (3) restoring a saved game. It also examines the first page of the first tutorial: (1) general layout of the picture & text tutorial pages, (2) converting the board game to the computer, and (3) the unified world map. The new version runs 9 minutes and 13 seconds.

Chapter 6 covers the Main form, Information forms, Screen layouts, and Map views. My re-recording of this chapter increased the time from 46 minutes to 66 minutes, 5 seconds. The increase was primarily due to new material. From the Main form’s drop down menus two new forms are available: disabling phases by major powers and the supply sources and paths. Neither of those existed in 2009. Additional time was spent on the production planning form, which has been redesigned from top to bottom. It now provides a lot more information about resources, factories, convoy pipelines, and production/build points.

Disabling phases lets a player turn off some phases for major powers. For example, China rarely wants to perform port attacks or naval air missions, given its few precious air units. Rather than have the program cycle through China for those phases, requiring the player to click on the end-of-phase button, the program skips the phases completely for China if the player has disabled those phases. The main use of disabling phases is for CAP (Combat Air Patrol) for the eight air mission phases. CAP is rarely performed. When the Axis player is the phasing side, that results in up to 40 mouse clicks by the Allied player to end the CAP subphase in just one impulse - very annoying.

The supply sources and paths form didn’t exist in CWIF. I felt it was important to add this form for two reasons. First, new players can use this form to learn the supply rules. Seeing examples of all the supply sources for a major power and the paths that units trace to reach a primary supply source is the easiest way to understand how the system works. This also applies to all those board game players who have played the supply rules incorrectly for years (I know you’re out there). For experienced players, being able to find all the out-of-supply units for friendly and enemy major powers is nice. It’s also helpful to be able to see a report on opportunities for cutting enemy supply paths - and the vulnerabilities of your own.

I still need to record chapters 10, 11, and 12.

Chapter 10 Naval Review & Movement
10.1 Naval review
10.1.1 Units In Hex form
10.1.2 Flyouts form
10.1.3 Naval Review Details form
10.1.3.1 Plain display
10.1.3.2 Section display
10.1.3.3 Status display
10.1.3.4 Filters
10.1.3.5 Cycling through ports and sea areas
10.1.4 Double size global map
10.1.4.1 Sea area names
10.1.4.2 Working with the Units in Hex form
10.1.4.3 Working with the Flyouts form
10.1.4.4 Working with the Naval Review Details form
10.1.5 Naval Review Summary form
10.1.5.1 Filters
10.1.5.2 Working with the Naval Review Details form
10.1.5.3 Cycling through ports and sea areas
10.1.5.4 Saving and restoring displays
10.2 Selecting naval units for movement
10.2.1 Using the Select Units form
10.2.2 Using the Flyouts form
10.2.3 Using the Naval Review Details form
10.2.4 Using the Units In Hex form
10.3 Moving a group of naval units
10.3.1 To an adjacent sea area
10.3.2 To a distant sea area
10.3.3 Dropping off units: at sea & in port
10.3.4 Specifying a path of sea areas
10.4 Loading cargo
10.4.1 Starting in a port stacked with the cargo
10.4.2 Picking up cargo from a port when passing through
10.4.3 From a coastal hex upon arrival in a sea area
10.4.4 From a coastal hex prior to returning to port
10.5 Naval interception
10.5.1 Decision to try to intercept
10.5.2 Attempt to intercept
10.5.3 Decision to stop or fight through
10.5.4 Fighting through
10.5.5 Continuing movement after interception attempt and/or combat

Chapter 11 Naval Combat
11.1 Naval combat occurrences
11.1.1 Phasing side chooses
11.1.2 Non-phasing side chooses
11.1.3 Naval interception combat
11.1.4 Naval air support
11.2 Naval surface combat
11.2.1 Surprise points
11.2.2 Including units
11.2.3 Naval combat results
11.2.4 Multiple rounds
11.3 Naval air combat
11.3.1 Use of temporary carrier air units
11.3.2 Use of optional carrier air units
11.3.3 Air-to-air combat
11.3.4 Anti-aircraft fire
11.3.5 Air attack on surface ships
11.4 Naval submarine combat
11.4.1 Choosing combat type
11.4.2 Anti-submarine warfare (ASW) attack
11.4.3 Submarine attack on surface ships
11.5 Naval abort queue

Chapter 12 Production & Politics
Specifics will be the same as the material covered in the interactive tutorials #19 and #20.

Historical Video, Music, and Sound Effects
Nothing new.

Web Site
Nothing new.

Marketing
Nothing new.

Debugging NetPlay

There are 5 screenshots below. The last two show the sequence of play for air-to-air combat and naval combat. In those the flags indicate which major power is deciding in which subphase/sub-subphase. Tracking back to the top of a column and reading to the left, identifies the parent phase/subphase et al. For example, the air-to-air combat shown is for Ground Support, in the land combat ‘group’, in the land ‘stage’ of the sequence of play.

The other 3 screenshots are annotated debugging screenshots for naval combat, port attacks, and air-to-air combat (ground strike phase). Each of these has top and bottom panels, with the top for the GRLs sent and the bottom for GRLs received. The color of the screenshot indicates the viewing major power: blue for Commonwealth and grey for Germany. The horizontal red lines indicate when one side has completed sending a set of GRLs to the other side. The second number in each GRL is its “entry number”. These usually increment by one for each new GRL.

The first screenshot has black numbers on a yellow background to identify the order in which they were sent. So the naval combat screenshot (in blue) starts with [1] the Commonwealth receiving two GRLS from the Axis (#27093 and #27094) when the Axis player terminates naval movement for Germany and Italy. The Allied computer is always MasterMWIF and sends most of the GRLs ending phases/subphases and for rolling the dice. Here [2] it sends a Phase Done GRL (PhDo #27095) to change the phase to Naval Combat A (phasing side). Having determined that naval combat is possible, it then sends another PhDo (#27096) to change the subphase to Choose Sea Area. The Axis player [3] decides to initiate combat in the North Sea and selects which unit to use to initiate that combat (#27097). The process continues with GRLs being sent and received by both computers.

My annotations are mostly correct, but I was a little sloppy in places where perfect precision was irrelevant for debugging purposes. However, this degree of analysis is what is required to debug the NetPlay code. All of these screenshots are from the middle of August and I have since debugged the problems shown here. I should add that the code works correctly for the Solitaire and Head-to-head modes of play. It’s this jumping back and forth for who decides what when during NetPlay games that still has some flaws.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 3420
Page:   <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: WHEN? Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI