Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AI for MWiF-Italy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI Opponent Discussion >> RE: AI for MWiF-Italy Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/28/2013 10:07:25 PM   
peskpesk

Deleted

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 8/28/2013 10:09:53 PM >

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 391
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/29/2013 12:31:18 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: peskpesk

Italy, especially if the involved in the war early on and the Mediterranean is not closed, needs NAV and FTRs's to survive. The positioning of the Air units is vital to the offensive and defensive capabilities of Italy.

If we ignore the critical Italian Cost Sea area there are a very limited numbers of hexes where the air units can go in order to maximize their potential and still be relatively safe and in supply; Mainland Italy and Sicily are the only two places left.

Due to their poor range the Euro Axis FTRs need to be adjacent to hex-dot in a sea area else they have no chance to reach the 2 box or better (later in war they need not be so close), a 4 range FTR makes it. The Euro Axis NAVs have a better range and can often reach the 3 box or better if they are one hex away to hex-dot in a sea area, a 9 range NAV makes it.

Below I have suggested starting hexes for Italian FTRs and NAVs (see the image) from where they beast can threaten/defend Western or Eastern Mediterranean sea. The Flying boats are not subject to the limitations, they are often best placed at costal hexes where other air units can’t stack at all and the where the same costal hex also is adjacent to a hex-dot in a sea area.

Very nice.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 392
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/29/2013 12:58:20 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous
I notice the map peskpesk post #344 ~ August 23, 2013 does not reflect the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea as being adjacent.

Is this going to be corrected?

No, not needed, check under naval movement restrictions: "You can’t move naval units between the Eastern Mediterranean and the Red Sea, or between Suez and the Eastern Mediterranean if:
• the units are Axis controlled, the Allies have played US entry action 38 (see 13.3.3) and the Allies control Suez; or
• a major power you are at war with controls any of the hexes adjacent to the Suez Canal."

Obviously, as long as the restrictions are not active, then you can move naval units between the two.

If this is from the new rules just say so. Otherwise I don't see what you're talking about. There is no 13.3.3 US entry actions ~ option 38 in the RAW.

quote:

11.4.4 Naval movement restrictions
1. You can’t move naval units between Kiel and the North Sea if an enemy major power controls any of the hexes adjacent to the Kiel Canal.

2. You can’t move naval units between the Eastern Mediterranean and the Red Sea, or between Suez and the Eastern Mediterranean, if a major power you are at war with controls any of the hexes adjacent to the Suez Canal.

3. You can’t move naval units between the Eastern Mediterranean and the Black Sea (even via Panderma) unless Istanbul is friendly controlled.

4. You can’t move naval units between the Baltic Sea and the North Sea (even via Fredrikshavn or Kristiansand) if major powers you are at war with control at least 2 of Oslo, Copenhagen and Kiel.

5. You can’t move surface naval units (SUBs aren’t restricted) between the Western Mediterranean and Cape St. Vincent (even via Tangier) if a major power you are at war with controls Gibraltar.

6. You can’t move naval units between the North Sea and the Bay of Biscay (even via Brest or Plymouth) if a major power you are at war with controls London.

7. After the US has closed the Panama canal (see 13.3.2, entry option 33), you can only move naval units between the Gulf of Panama and the Caribbean Sea if:
* Its controlling major power is at war with the USA and lets you; or, if none,
* The US player lets you.

The “even via” clauses apply only when attempting to move between sea zones through the port in a single naval move. A unit can move into the port from a sea zone in one step and then move out to sea in the other sea zone in a later step.

Of course I disagree that it is not needed it will not be obvious to a new MWiF player, who won't know of the restrictions or that you can move naval units between the two.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 393
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/29/2013 6:55:10 PM   
paulderynck

The quote is from the new rules which is all I had on hand in my present location. You can find the identical wording with slight reference changes in RAW7 under Naval Movement Restrictions. But of course you know that - you're just trying to be difficult as usual.

If anyone else here has trouble believing that you can move directly from the East Med to the Red Sea and vice versa (in the absence of the aforementioned restrictions) please step forward.

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 394
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/29/2013 8:28:21 PM   
Easo79

quote:

If anyone else here has trouble believing that you can move directly from the East Med to the Red Sea and vice versa (in the absence of the aforementioned restrictions) please step forward.

Well, I have never played the game, but the fact that the Suez Canal could do a different thing than connecting directly the Mediterranean to the Red Sea had never occurred to me. The idea of stopping at Suez Port to rest for a while and do some shopping, tempting as it is, is hardly an idea likely to be included in the game.

< Message edited by Easo79 -- 8/29/2013 8:35:36 PM >

Post #: 395
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/29/2013 11:12:49 PM   
Tonqeen

You realy have to get those figs!

(in reply to Easo79)
Post #: 396
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/30/2013 2:38:47 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

The quote is from the new rules which is all I had on hand in my present location. You can find the identical wording with slight reference changes in RAW7 under Naval Movement Restrictions. But of course you know that - you're just trying to be difficult as usual.

paulderynck if you would read instead of just posting you might notice I have posted from the RAW all of 11.4.4 Naval movement restrictions.

If I understand your post correctly you are saying in order to play this game you have to have:
Bought all the Australian Design Group WiF products.
Become a member the WiF Yahoo Group.
Read all the WiF Yahoo Groups posts.
Read all the posts here at the MWiF Forums.
Been a member of MWiF final beta.

Or you are attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 397
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/30/2013 4:07:23 AM   
brian brian

If the map for this game attempted to explain the words "Suez Canal" to me beyond simply printing those two words near the correct blue hexsides, I would presume I had stumbled onto some ginned-up version of Axis & Allies and move on to some other game immediately. Give the players a little credit, Extraneous.

I agree with Steve (too many posts back now to quote) that the AI has to capitalize on enemy mistakes. But a main reason many are skeptical about writing an AI to play World in Flames is the planning required to play it well. So let's say the Italian AI runs through it's strategic options, coordinates strategy with the other major powers, checks the enemy forces around the board and decides to launch a campaign in Algeria. If the Allies respond by seemingly weakening Egypt (sending Wavell to France) while reinforcements possibly destined for Suez can only reach South Africa (Sydney MIL), should the AI throw out what it already started to do (deployments in West Med sea zone) and switch to a strike at Egypt?

I mean, who attacks everything conquers nothing. Beyond the calculations of the current impulse state of the board, sticking to a multi-impulse / multi-turn / multi-year operation will sometimes require overriding the instant results of those calculation. If an idiot human Allied player leaves Gibraltar empty for an impulse, sure, take even a one division shot at it. But World in Flames requires more than single impulse thinking.

Regardless, please don't give the Italian AI any script that ever suggests sending a TRS through the Suez Canal before war with the CW. I can't dream up any scenario where that would ever pay off for Italy, a power with very little margin for error to ever be successful in the game.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 398
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/30/2013 10:46:52 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

paulderynck if you would read instead of just posting you might notice I have posted from the RAW all of 11.4.4 Naval movement restrictions.

If I understand your post correctly you are saying in order to play this game you have to have:
Bought all the Australian Design Group WiF products.
Become a member the WiF Yahoo Group.
Read all the WiF Yahoo Groups posts.
Read all the posts here at the MWiF Forums.
Been a member of MWiF final beta.

Or you are attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis.

Not at all. You just have to read point 2 under Naval Movement Restrictions - just as you posted - and apply the modicum of logic that you are unequipped with.

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 399
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/30/2013 3:21:42 PM   
composer99

Extraneous:

This is not the first time where you have incorrectly interpreted the rules and, instead of admitting the error and moving on, created a quagmire of posts doubling down on your incorrect position and, what's more, constructing strawmen versions of the criticisms against your claims to argue against.

Frankly, it appears you don't know the rules very well, despite your propensity to copy/paste them at length. There's nothing wrong with such lack of knowledge, per se. But when others attempt to correct your misapprehensions, your typical MO is as I have described immediately above. And that is tiresome to read and respond to. It certainly does not contribute to an environment of constructive discussion - rather, it positively hinders it.

In future, please consider the possibility that you might be incorrect before posting if you are about to make a claim regarding the rules of the game. If, after such consideration, you must post, which is fine as far as it goes - if you have an uncertainty about the rules better to post it and have it resolved - please refrain from doing so on the AI threads where it is almost certainly off-topic (on the basis that the AI knows the rules). Use another thread or create your own.

People asking questions about the rules is fine, even questions that might be regarded as silly or as having self-evident answers. What you have been doing here, with respect to the adjacency of the E. Med & Red Sea, or elsewhere with other rules, has been something other than asking questions for the sake of improving your understanding, and as such it certainly is not fine. Instead, it is a waste of time and effort.

~ Composer99

Post #: 400
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/30/2013 4:07:08 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

No, not needed, check under naval movement restrictions: "You can’t move naval units between the Eastern Mediterranean and the Red Sea, or between Suez and the Eastern Mediterranean if:
• the units are Axis controlled, the Allies have played US entry action 38 (see 13.3.3) and the Allies control Suez; or
• a major power you are at war with controls any of the hexes adjacent to the Suez Canal."

Obviously, as long as the restrictions are not active, then you can move naval units between the two.

Since you are not supposed to post about it I said "JUST SAY SO". Emphasis is mine since you are reading impaired.

quote:

You are incapable of downloading from ADG (there are many links offered in these forums)?

You say "No, not needed, check under naval movement restrictions" to denote that you can or cannot move from the Eastern Mediterranean and the Red Sea. It's in the RAC somewhere (I hope it's better written than your quotes).

It's not a bug its a "feature" if you know it exists.

I believe you are just planning to use this "feature" to impress some newbie with your vast knowledge of the game.

In which he will promptly quit in disgust at your having taken advantage of him.

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Extraneous:

This is not the first time where you have incorrectly interpreted the rules and, instead of admitting the error and moving on, created a quagmire of posts doubling down on your incorrect position and, what's more, constructing strawmen versions of the criticisms against your claims to argue against.

Frankly, it appears you don't know the rules very well, despite your propensity to copy/paste them at length. There's nothing wrong with such lack of knowledge, per se. But when others attempt to correct your misapprehensions, your typical MO is as I have described immediately above. And that is tiresome to read and respond to. It certainly does not contribute to an environment of constructive discussion - rather, it positively hinders it.

In future, please consider the possibility that you might be incorrect before posting if you are about to make a claim regarding the rules of the game. If, after such consideration, you must post, which is fine as far as it goes - if you have an uncertainty about the rules better to post it and have it resolved - please refrain from doing so on the AI threads where it is almost certainly off-topic (on the basis that the AI knows the rules). Use another thread or create your own.

People asking questions about the rules is fine, even questions that might be regarded as silly or as having self-evident answers. What you have been doing here, with respect to the adjacency of the E. Med & Red Sea, or elsewhere with other rules, has been something other than asking questions for the sake of improving your understanding, and as such it certainly is not fine. Instead, it is a waste of time and effort.

Since you seam to be reading impaired also let me refresh your memory.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Can agree that these sea areas are adjacent in game terms and move on to more interesting aspects of the Italian strategic plan?

quote:

Sure lets move on.

I immediately complied and am moving on as Steve has suggested. You all are the ones stuck in a rut.

quote:

I notice the map peskpesk post #344 ~ August 23, 2013 does not reflect the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea as being adjacent.

Is this going to be corrected?

I asked would there be a map correction not a rule change.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 401
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/30/2013 9:52:17 PM   
peskpesk

Unless the Axis closes the Med Italy sooner or later faces the threat of Allied invasion of main land Italy and Sicily. There are a lot of ways to places the defending Italian land units, but one of the most interesting choices is where to block and where to “lure” the allies into landing. Much depend on how big defense force is available to “Fortress Italy”, but let’s say about 7-12 army/corps sized land units.

Below I have illustrated thee alternatives for the “No freebies” defense. The strategy behind the “No freebies” defense is just a simple protect factories and boost as many landing hexes as possible extra bonus (+1 bonus if it is not stacked with a land unit, but is in the ZOC of a friendly corps or army).
The green squares are where Italian defenders go and the dotted redline are where weaknesses in the defense.

How do you like to place the Italian defenders and which strategy do you use?

Alt 1

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 8/30/2013 9:55:37 PM >

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 402
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/30/2013 9:52:57 PM   
peskpesk

Alt 2

Attachment (1)

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 403
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/30/2013 9:53:40 PM   
peskpesk

Alt 3

Attachment (1)

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 404
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/30/2013 11:27:48 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I think the main focus should be holding hexes important to Italy: (1) hexes that could make Italy surrender, and (2) resources, factories, and rail lines between same. A close second in importance is holding hexes that the Allies might use to do direct land attacks (not invasions) on the first group.

Under that logic, the hexes in Sicily are irrelevant. As long as the Axis has a good corps sized unit in Reggio, attacking across the straits from Messina isn't going to do the Allies any good. The Allies want a port in Italy proper (excluding Sicily), so all of those should be well defended. Most of the ports in Italy proper would give the Allies 4 or more hexes from which to expand their beachhead. Civitacecchia only has 3 adjacent land hexes but one of those is Rome. Pola only has 1 adjacent hex in Italy, but it also holds a non-oil resource.

So, hold the 5 major ports in Italy proper and Rome with a corps. Then place any extra units in the minor ports, starting in the north and working your way south: from Venice to Reggio (skipping Pola so it is last).

Steve

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 405
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/31/2013 12:11:29 AM   
brian brian

You can't just cede Sicily to the Allies though. It is a great base for their air planes and the Allies have good incentives to follow the historical path via landing there first. Also, the Allies need to have more units in Italy than the Italians have left. A small Allied beachhead that also manages to take a factory won't be big enough to hold enough Allied units to have a greater garrison value than the Italian units; especially if German units hold the front line in Allied ZoC - units in ZoC don't count, so the Allies need a 'rear area' of Italian hexes to build up garrison value. Sicily is perfect for that.

Sicily is good to defend with Italian MIL. If lost they can reappear in northern Italy the next turn. Though those same MIL are also good to have near their home city for that reason. The resources in Italy are irrelevant by the time the Allies are landing on the Italian beaches. Only the factory hexes matter at that point.

One note on defending Trieste - if Yugoslavia is conquered, normally an Axis unit must garrison the adjacent resource hex against Yugoslavian partisans. This puts an extra notional factor on both Pola and Trieste, which goes a long way in an area Allied air normally can't reach very well. Woe are the Italians if the USA sends a lot of their long-range FTRs to Europe rather than the Pacific though.

The most important area to defend are those within range of Allied FTR cover, so a lot can depend on what air bases the Allies already have. Next one must decide where to put the tanks. They are nice on a possible counterattack of course, but they are also nice to have that defensive odds shift even on an assault. The Allied 'funnies' aren't available until late '43, iirc, so they can't blitz invade against MECH until at least then. For that reason I sometimes put the Italian MECH in the hex adjacent to Taranto where it adds ZoC to Taranto and Bari, though this area needs additional units in the long run. It is one area of Italy that Axis reinforcements can't reach that easily, compared to the rest of the 'Boot' where the units defending the coast can be a bit more mutually supportive after a landing. But it is a good hex for it start out on the defense in 1941 into 42, when a concern is more of an Allied raid on such a sensitive spot as the boot-heel. Later, another unit with tanks is needed in the Rome area of course.

An ART unit is also good in the Naples/Taranto area, where the Allies will most likely go for the factory hex they need. Ditto for any Italian Engineers available. After the specialized units are carefully distributed, the Axis needs infantry - everywhere, and that's the challenge.

Edit: the Axis need a unit in that last NW hex of Yugoslavia so a Yugo PART can't walk into the hex and block transport of the resource in Pola. This unit is then part of the planning of the initial Italian beach defenses, which must grow over time.

< Message edited by brian brian -- 8/31/2013 1:02:02 AM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 406
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/31/2013 2:13:22 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

You can't just cede Sicily to the Allies though. It is a great base for their air planes and the Allies have good incentives to follow the historical path via landing there first. Also, the Allies need to have more units in Italy than the Italians have left. A small Allied beachhead that also manages to take a factory won't be big enough to hold enough Allied units to have a greater garrison value than the Italian units; especially if German units hold the front line in Allied ZoC - units in ZoC don't count, so the Allies need a 'rear area' of Italian hexes to build up garrison value. Sicily is perfect for that.

Sicily is good to defend with Italian MIL. If lost they can reappear in northern Italy the next turn. Though those same MIL are also good to have near their home city for that reason. The resources in Italy are irrelevant by the time the Allies are landing on the Italian beaches. Only the factory hexes matter at that point.

One note on defending Trieste - if Yugoslavia is conquered, normally an Axis unit must garrison the adjacent resource hex against Yugoslavian partisans. This puts an extra notional factor on both Pola and Trieste, which goes a long way in an area Allied air normally can't reach very well. Woe are the Italians if the USA sends a lot of their long-range FTRs to Europe rather than the Pacific though.

The most important area to defend are those within range of Allied FTR cover, so a lot can depend on what air bases the Allies already have. Next one must decide where to put the tanks. They are nice on a possible counterattack of course, but they are also nice to have that defensive odds shift even on an assault. The Allied 'funnies' aren't available until late '43, iirc, so they can't blitz invade against MECH until at least then. For that reason I sometimes put the Italian MECH in the hex adjacent to Taranto where it adds ZoC to Taranto and Bari, though this area needs additional units in the long run. It is one area of Italy that Axis reinforcements can't reach that easily, compared to the rest of the 'Boot' where the units defending the coast can be a bit more mutually supportive after a landing. But it is a good hex for it start out on the defense in 1941 into 42, when a concern is more of an Allied raid on such a sensitive spot as the boot-heel. Later, another unit with tanks is needed in the Rome area of course.

An ART unit is also good in the Naples/Taranto area, where the Allies will most likely go for the factory hex they need. Ditto for any Italian Engineers available. After the specialized units are carefully distributed, the Axis needs infantry - everywhere, and that's the challenge.

Edit: the Axis need a unit in that last NW hex of Yugoslavia so a Yugo PART can't walk into the hex and block transport of the resource in Pola. This unit is then part of the planning of the initial Italian beach defenses, which must grow over time.

As always your points are quite good.

But there are 45 coastal hexes to defend in Italy.

Using two corps for Sicily still leaves 35 and it is a rare hex where occupation by a corps size unit projects a ZOC on more than 2 other hexes. To me that looks like 12 corps plus 2 in Sicily. 14 corps might be more than Italy will have available.

So I was looking at where to place their units given 7-12 corps (as Peter asked).

Steve

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 407
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/31/2013 2:48:30 AM   
brian brian

As the Allied threat grows, Italy needs Germans, simple as that; and the German Foreign Affairs bot should send them help, definitely. I like a German GARR or MIL in the Palermo area, for example. If the Allies go to bypass it as their plans become apparent, it can use supply from Palermo to make a soak-off attack and not be a prisoner piece in Italy for the rest of the game (if it's a good piece).

I like ALT 3 the best, except I would add a unit in the hex NW of Taranto, frequently using the MECH as I mentioned. But what is key is what year we are talking about.

The Allies want coastal hexes they can blitz their way into with units doubled by shore bombardment. Hexes adjacent to factories. Ports are a little less important as the CW will have HQs available to make any hex a port, though the Allies will also want airbase hexes.

But the Allies still want to operate within range of their air forces, particularly if US CVs aren't available in the Med; Axis medium bombers can potentially double any notional unit. So they are going to be very interested in Sicily, even early on if it was undefended. If they can get it on the cheap, the Axis isn't going to be able to take it back very easily. The next priority to defend is the Taranto 'heel' area, which can quickly yield three hexes to attack Taranto from.

The Allies are less likely to land in the north of Italy early on, as the Axis can too easily respond and will have a better situation in the air. So initial defenses in the south make more sense to me, with a more gradual build-up in the north as more units become available.

Post #: 408
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/31/2013 7:07:25 PM   
composer99

With respect to the Italian defence plans:

Needs moar Germans plzkthx.

I'm attempting to upload a picture that will show how I think the German & Italian units should best be set up.

Attachment (1)

~ Composer99

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 409
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/31/2013 7:22:14 PM   
composer99

Ok, that defence requires 7 German units and 9 Italian units. (More is better, of course.)

The units in the forests near Florence and Rome are best off if they are blitz units; allowing (hopefully) a counterattack against invasions near Rome.

Also, as far as I can see, every Italian coastal hex has ZoC coverage, meaning the Allies are landing vs. 3-factor notionals (6-factor in mountains) across the board. Also, the Italians on the coast are in mountain hexes, bolstering their otherwise weak combat factors.

Italian infantry and divisions (or German ones, if you can spare them) can be used to fill out cities on the coast. Taranto, Naples & Rome especially require additional units if the Allies have offensive chits in their pockets. A single unit + notional will probably be in the range of 10 factors defending. An Allied attack, especially with, say, a marine corps & paratroop division involved, should be able to get up to 4-1 odds against that kind of defence with an o-chit. (Rome needs an additional unit in case the Allies decide to land in, say, Civitavecchia and send the First Allied Airborne Army dropping on Rome itself.)

Edit:

If you have to prioritize (say, because you don't have enough units), I'm not quite sure where I'd start. Probably begin with Sicily and the Rome-Florence area then go in the order:

1-Naples
2-Taranto & the "toe"
3-Genoa
4-Venice & Trieste
5-the mountainous Adriatic coast

< Message edited by composer99 -- 8/31/2013 7:27:27 PM >

~ Composer99

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 410
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/31/2013 9:32:22 PM   
paulderynck

With the same number of units, I'd instead put the two from the mountains on the Adriatic coast into Palermo and Messina. If Sicily goes, the Allies get a host of airbases and can virtually guarantee the garrison condition for Italian surrender by RTBing there from surrounding sea zones. Not defending Palermo is a strategic error because without it, all the units in Sicily can easily be put out of supply by taking Messina (or in WiFFE, if using the Limited Access Across Straits option).

Keeping land based air (LBA) around that can double the defense against an invasion into the mountains on the Adriatic coast is easier than keeping them in range of Sicily (not to mention out of range of Allied LBA fighters). Thus an Allied invasion there can still be risky, plus is easily encircled by units in strong defensive terrain.

Paul

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 411
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 8/31/2013 11:55:08 PM   
composer99

Upon further consideration, I would concur with pauldernyck. The Adriatic coast is probably the lowest priority area for the Axis.

Certainly, as the Allies I would not consider invading along that area unless I absolutely had to.

~ Composer99

Post #: 412
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 9/1/2013 1:10:45 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

With the same number of units, I'd instead put the two from the mountains on the Adriatic coast into Palermo and Messina. If Sicily goes, the Allies get a host of airbases and can virtually guarantee the garrison condition for Italian surrender by RTBing there from surrounding sea zones. Not defending Palermo is a strategic error because without it, all the units in Sicily can easily be put out of supply by taking Messina (or in WiFFE, if using the Limited Access Across Straits option).

Keeping land based air (LBA) around that can double the defense against an invasion into the mountains on the Adriatic coast is easier than keeping them in range of Sicily (not to mention out of range of Allied LBA fighters). Thus an Allied invasion there can still be risky, plus is easily encircled by units in strong defensive terrain.

Against your defense, as the Allies, I would land at Bari (and the hex east of it too if possible). In the next Allied impulse I would take the third clear hex adjacent to Taranto. That would give me a 3 hex attack on Taranto. Your four units in Sicily wouldn't be much help in defending against this. Stripping the area around Rome and/or Naples of units would be very dangerous.

I would much prefer to concede the garrison value victory condition and focus on keeping the factories.

Steve

Post #: 413
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 9/1/2013 1:48:14 AM   
composer99

The "heel" hexes are 8 hexes from Malta (and Taranto 7), and 9+ hexes from Allied airbases in Tunisia.

By contrast they are 5-7 hexes from most hexes in Sicily.

That change in range makes a big difference - that many more Allied planes in easy range, especially bombers flying at normal range instead of extended. The easier a time the Allies have taking Sicily, the easier it will be for them to invade around Taranto later.

If the Allies want to invade the heel (and that would be my natural inclination as an Allied player) they want to do so with a degree of certainty that their invasion into clear hexes can't be blitzed off. So that means having the airpower to flip every Axis unit in sight, especially bombers and blitz units.

Personally, I think they'll find it much easier to muster that airpower if they have turned Sicily into a staging ground.

~ Composer99

Post #: 414
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 9/1/2013 5:10:26 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

The "heel" hexes are 8 hexes from Malta (and Taranto 7), and 9+ hexes from Allied airbases in Tunisia.

By contrast they are 5-7 hexes from most hexes in Sicily.

That change in range makes a big difference - that many more Allied planes in easy range, especially bombers flying at normal range instead of extended. The easier a time the Allies have taking Sicily, the easier it will be for them to invade around Taranto later.

If the Allies want to invade the heel (and that would be my natural inclination as an Allied player) they want to do so with a degree of certainty that their invasion into clear hexes can't be blitzed off. So that means having the airpower to flip every Axis unit in sight, especially bombers and blitz units.

Personally, I think they'll find it much easier to muster that airpower if they have turned Sicily into a staging ground.

It depends on what the Allied air force looks like. In 1942 the units don't have the range - as you said. But if the air units from 1943 are available, then they're many units that can fly 8+ without using extended range. Since we are assuming that the Allies have taken out North Africa, assuming that we are into 1943 doesn't seem that big a leap.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 9/1/2013 5:11:00 AM >

Steve

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 415
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 9/1/2013 4:42:16 PM   
brian brian

If Sicily is empty in 1941 and the Luftwaffe is largely in Russia as I would expect, Me-Churchill and my various Hobbit like units from the various Shires might just 'island hop' Sardinia and invade Mafia Land straight away (AMPH laid-down S/O 39). Mop-up forces could take an isolated Tripoli later. Italy gets a couple BP boost but the Allies get the Eye of Sauron suddenly somewhat distracted from looking for Stalin's hidey-hole, wherever he may be. Sauron hates it when he forgets those little blue Hobbits all over the map all around Mordor.

Post #: 416
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 9/1/2013 4:47:58 PM   
Centuur

If the units are available, I would go for the locations Composer has stated and add a unit in Bari and one in Palermo. Also, the defense depends on the Allied capabilities in the region and what the air capabilities of both sides are made of. Another very important point is the availability of oil on the Axis side. Can the Italian navy sail out with enough Axis air cover or not, because of oil shortages? And last (but not least): are offensive chits available to the allies or not at this stage of the game or not.

The Axis shouldn't wait for the hammer to fall in Italy. Aggressive use of the Italian navy and the German/Italian airforce against allied shipping should be part of the defense plan. If only to upset the Allied invasion preparations...

However, if the Axis can't use air and the Italian navy, I think it is wise to leave Sicily to the Allies. Units killed in Sicily cost build points to rebuild them (even if they are cheap GAR of MIL) and without the necessary air/navy activities to harress the Allies in the sea zone around Italy, those units are dead anyway. It is usually better to make the Allies do the invasions where you want them to do, than to defend the whole of Italy and are invaded somewhere in the northern parts of the country instead...

Peter

Post #: 417
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 9/1/2013 9:18:55 PM   
brian brian

I totally agree that Axis air is the best defense (the infamous 1 box horde will roll themselves in eventually, as long as Italy is still around (time) to call combined impulses and activate it while the German army moves around in Russia), and can really disrupt Allies not wise enough to have a steady stream of AMPH on the production spiral, rather than just one large face-up force to start their invasions of Europe with.

The Italians aren't going to win the battle with the Allies. They have to play to cost the Allies the most time, as must all powers playing defense in World in Flames, a game with a time limit. Only China and Russia are going to survive on the defense, as they have nearly unlimited space to trade for time, and healthy partisans behind the invaders that take a lot of space. Clearing Sicily takes time for the Allies, and they will do it. If they get it unopposed for free, that's potentially a turn or two less that Italy could still be in the war. And the Allies are going to knock out Italy even if they have no further plans to ever attempt breaching the Alps, to knock out a set of Axis action limits, though if the Allies want to pour resources into the single most difficult approach to Germany, the Germans should be OK with that.

You want the Allies to invade in the north. The terrain is far better for the defense; there is much less room for maneuver and building up garrison points. It's much closer to Germany (Luftwaffe can arrive with just one rebase mission, rather than two; German infantry can march to the scene rather than rail in). A narrow coastal only bridgehead won't make Italy surrender.

So the Allies want to invade in the south, closer to their air, better terrain, more room. So you have to defend the south to cost them time. If they invade the north because it looks more lightly defended, that's good for the Axis. They are going to get ashore somewhere. Units in the center can respond to a rare invasion in the north, or to the more likely invasion in the south. You do need a few units in the north though.

Italian MIL aren't that effective on a factor/BP basis, but MIL are outstanding on a turn/BP basis at 0.5, and that is key to cost the Allies time. Most things Italy has to defend are on the coast, and the Axis can't hold coastal hexes very well when powerful Allied ground units are doubled by Shore Bombardment. But they can hold them well enough that the Allies can't overrun them for free, and can make the Allies spend at least an impulse to get every hex they want, and they are unlike fighting the Russians in that the Allies can't take all land impulses all turn long. And thus German MIL and GARR are very useful in Italy too. Ideally, the Rome MIL dies in Sardinia, then it dies in Sicily, then it dies in the Naples/Taranto area (and then Italy surrenders). Same for the 4-3 Italian MIL. So I say spend some Axis BPs in Sicily to cost the Allies time, rather than saving those BPs to help hold that first Italian factory hex that the Allies are going to take anyway. Perhaps those BPs spent on the mainland could force the Allies to use an O-Chit to meet the surrender conditions, but O-Chits don't cost the Allies very much time, the way clearing non-overrun hexes of cheap units does.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 418
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 9/2/2013 1:12:59 AM   
composer99

Further to brian brian's post, it strikes me that the Axis on defence in the mid-to-late game want to play the same kind of action limit screwball against the Western Allies that they tried to play against Germany in the early-to-mid game.

Look at the situation on the board. Do the Allies want to call naval impulses in order to ship reinforcements in, set up their convoy defences (assuming you still have submarines to send out to hunt them), or air impulses in order to ground strike every Axis unit that moves?

Try to force them to call lands, especially early.

When the Allies want to spend land actions, try to get them to call combined or naval impulses.

Easier said than done, of course, for the Germans, who have the Red Army nipping at their heels, still making them call land impulse after land impulse. Of course, the Americans might just spend o-chits to call super-combined impulses and do everything. But maybe they didn't want to. That's kind of a win, too.

~ Composer99

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 419
RE: AI for MWiF-Italy - 9/2/2013 9:57:34 PM   
peskpesk

Italian invasion defense plan

Based on the suggestions mentioned before, we could divide Italy into 9 defense regions and assign a base priority value for the area. Ex

Defense regions (Base Value):
• Taranto (boot‐heel) 4
• Naples 4
• Rome 5
• Sicily 1
• Florence 2
• Genoa 3
• Mountainous Adriatic coast 1
• Venice & Trieste 2
• Reggio Mountain coastline (Boot‐tip) 2

One thing the AIO has to decide is the “is Sicily relevant decision”. If the AIO says “Yes”, the Base Value for Sicily should be increased to 3. The number of units given to the Italian defense is the big factor. A thumb rule for the AIO could be something like fewer than 9 = 0%, 9-12 = 40%, 13+ 100%.

The presence, strength and location of allied airbases are one of the best indications on where the allies plan to land. So it should be a key factory to modifying the priority values. The below locations could have a reasonable chance of impacting the invasion of Italy if they are in allied hands.

Allied airbases in:
• Yugoslavian coast:
• Sardinia
• Corsica
• Malta
• Tunisia
• Greece
• Vichy France
• Albania

The distance from an allied airbase to an Italian Defense region and the size of that force modifies the priority of the Defense region, due to increased threat.

Distance to Allied airbase(Modifier Value):
1-6 = 2
7-9 = 1
10+ =0.5

Allied size:
1‐2 planes: Small, value * 0.5
3‐4 planes: normal, value * 1
5+ planes: large, value * 1. 5

The priority of each defense region could be used by the AIO help decide on how to distribute defense units to region. Also each region needs to have a min and max number of units needed as well as preferred unit type. The mechanism should be similar to setting up ex Spain for the AIO.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 9/2/2013 10:14:03 PM >

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI Opponent Discussion >> RE: AI for MWiF-Italy Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI