Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dunkirk details...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Dunkirk details... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 3:32:20 AM   
Footslogger

According to this video, it was the French that saved the British.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6C5P-AYGdY

Post #: 1
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 5:35:58 AM   
wdolson

They did contribute. At the end there were quite a few French soldiers who abandoned their posts and ran for the nearest boat. I believe most of them were sent back to France soon after arriving in England to help the defense of the more southerly France.

I think the key mistake the Germans made was thinking like a continental power, which they were. For a continental power, being backed up against the sea is essentially surrounded. For a naval power, which is what the UK was, having your army backed up against the sea is an opportunity. The Germans didn't really grasp until it was too late that the British had successfully extracted most of their army from the beaches.

The French forces in the pocket did play a part in holding off the German army which was not too enthusiastic about reducing the pocket until other goals had been captured and the supply lines stabilized. The fact the French were there made it tougher for the Germans to crush the pocket.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 6:06:51 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

According to this video, it was the French that saved the British.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6C5P-AYGdY

Nice French propaganda piece. While they certainly did hold the line at Dunkirk, the "spin" is a bit much. Like the statement that "three elite German Armored Divisions were led by Erwin Rommel". I'm sure the General Staff would have been curious how a Division Commander suddenly became a Corps Commander without their knowledge.

Post #: 3
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 7:06:04 AM   
Numdydar

Maybe they were helping prep him for his promotion to make them look good after france's surrender

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 4
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 7:24:42 AM   
warspite1

Oh dear.....

Yes, if you read between the lines it’s all quite simple:

French = heroic and brave
British = cowardly backstabbers.

What a shame. The truth of course is never that simple. Did the French provide the bulk of the rear-guard that enabled so many Allied troops to escape? Yes. Was their action heroic and to be applauded and honoured? Yes.
But as I said, things are not that simple.

First and foremost, it must be remembered that the French and British were two separate countries with centuries of enmity and that had been brought together only since the turn of the century thanks to the mutual fear and suspicion of Germany. Political and military leaders of both countries had one eye on what was best for them as well as for the alliance against Germany.

So against that background, if we look at the facts for a minute, in whose sector did the Germans make the breakthrough that ultimately led to Dunkirk? Are all the accounts false of much of the French army in and around Sedan melting away – not when meeting the Germans, but on rumours of the Germans soon arriving!

Can Churchill and Gort be blamed for not reacting to the French collapse with alarm and for doubting their willingness to fight? Iirc, a counter-attack was planned as the Germans raced for the channel coast, but the French failed to provide the troops promised.

Against this background what were the British to do? By the time the Germans had reached the coast there was no way the Allies could turn the battle – it was a case of how does this end for the troops encircled?
The British were going to fight on against Hitler, the French? They couldn’t be certain but history proves they were right not to take the chance.

When countries are defeated it is natural to look for someone, something to blame. The French and British in WWII were no different. The French blame the British, the British blame the French, and both blame the Belgians!

Facts are, Operation Dynamo played out like it did. Largely French rear-guard actions and the heroism of the Allied navies (btw despite what the video states, the Royal Navy suffered more losses than its French counterpart) bought time for the 300,000 + French and British troops to be evacuated. Britain fought on, and ultimately the Germans were defeated. Let’s be thankful for that.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/11/2013 7:28:34 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 5
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 9:01:06 AM   
Skyland

I think there is a BBC video on same topic saying nothing about the french.
So the score is 1 - 1.

A good read about this campaign from german point of view, including Dunkirk is "Blitzkried legend. die Westfeldzug 1940". KH Frieser. 1995. Translated in french in 2003. And in english this year.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 10:34:55 AM   
tigercub

warsprite +1

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 7
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 11:29:29 AM   
fuelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyland

I think there is a BBC video on same topic saying nothing about the french.
So the score is 1 - 1.

A good read about this campaign from german point of view, including Dunkirk is "Blitzkried legend. die Westfeldzug 1940". KH Frieser. 1995. Translated in french in 2003. And in english this year.

According to this book the french and british were saved by the germans

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 8
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 12:42:46 PM   
tocaff

The facts seem a bit shaded to me. There was no love lost between the 2 countries as shown throughout the war. Even today I find it hard to believe that the British and French will "share" a CV.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to fuelli)
Post #: 9
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 12:57:17 PM   
kemmo

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Oh dear.....

What a shame. The truth of course is never that simple. Did the French provide the bulk of the rear-guard that enabled so many Allied troops to escape? Yes. Was their action heroic and to be applauded and honoured? Yes.

First and foremost, it must be remembered that the French and British were two separate countries with centuries of enmity and that had been brought together only since the turn of the century thanks to the mutual fear and suspicion of Germany. Political and military leaders of both countries had one eye on what was best for them as well as for the alliance against Germany.

So against that background, if we look at the facts for a minute, in whose sector did the Germans make the breakthrough that ultimately led to Dunkirk? Are all the accounts false of much of the French army in and around Sedan melting away – not when meeting the Germans, but on rumours of the Germans soon arriving!

Can Churchill and Gort be blamed for not reacting to the French collapse with alarm and for doubting their willingness to fight? Iirc, a counter-attack was planned as the Germans raced for the channel coast, but the French failed to provide the troops promised.

Against this background what were the British to do? By the time the Germans had reached the coast there was no way the Allies could turn the battle – it was a case of how does this end for the troops encircled?
The British were going to fight on against Hitler, the French? They couldn’t be certain but history proves they were right not to take the chance.

When countries are defeated it is natural to look for someone, something to blame. The French and British in WWII were no different. The French blame the British, the British blame the French, and both blame the Belgians!

Facts are, Operation Dynamo played out like it did. Largely French rear-guard actions and the heroism of the Allied navies (btw despite what the video states, the Royal Navy suffered more losses than its French counterpart) bought time for the 300,000 + French and British troops to be evacuated. Britain fought on, and ultimately the Germans were defeated. Let’s be thankful for that.

Warspite While I agree with your comments about England and France being thrown together because fear and suspicion, it actually started in 1853 against Russia in the Crimea.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 10
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 12:58:28 PM   
catwhoorg

I always laugh when Americans try to bash the French.

We (the Brits) have bee doing it for over a thousand years, and we aren't stopping anytime soon. (the reverse is also true)

Only a politician could come up with the idea of "sharing a CV." Its never going to work out in the long run.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 11
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 3:58:28 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Oh dear.....

Ah, but if Bismarck had been there disembarking Tigers commanded by General Sherman...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 4:16:33 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

We (the Brits) have bee doing it for over a thousand years, and we aren't stopping anytime soon. (the reverse is also true)

Only a politician could come up with the idea of "sharing a CV." Its never going to work out in the long run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey0wvGiAH9g

A clip from the previous milenium so its clearly been going on for long...

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 13
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 4:55:20 PM   
Numdydar

Actually after WWI, the major planning for Britian was how to defend themselves from an attack by the French . This occuppied a lot of British war plans that were drawn up against a 'contennenal power'. I guess they were really worried about those nasty Belgians again Or maybe the Danes.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 14
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 7:27:41 PM   
Symon

quote:

Oh dear.....

Yes, for sure. Veriker (Gort) withdrew to the channel ports under War Office contingency plans. He had no clue there would be so many French in the withdrawal space. There was no provision for them in the initial planning. He ended up with elements of the Belgian Army, the French 1st, 7th, and 9th Armys. What to do, what to do?

Frikkin everybody went to the wall in defensive ops. Matters not the nationality of the man who cops a bullet. French, Belgians, and British held the lines so their comrades could be evacuated. They all fought like lions.

The evac happened too fast for politics. God bless and keep Adm Ramsey for making the decision that “every man on the beach will be taken off”.

< Message edited by Symon -- 9/11/2013 7:28:02 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 8:35:21 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

But they're trying to assassinate all us Yanks with their darned French (Belgian actually) Fries!

Lafayette, we are here (for some more of your darned fries)!

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/11/2013 8:42:03 PM >

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 16
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 8:37:37 PM   
geofflambert

I've heard that the cabbage heads just ran flat out of fuel and the Pz IIs wouldn't go any further.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 17
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 8:43:18 PM   
oldman45

I remember reading that Goering convinced Hitler that his Air Force could finish the job. The army more than happy to let Goering fall on his sword obliged and stopped.

Post #: 18
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 8:47:30 PM   
Encircled

I recommend "Dunkirk- Fight to the last man" by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore

Excellent, particularly about the various formations in the rearguard

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 19
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 8:49:17 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

I remember reading that Goering convinced Hitler that his Air Force could finish the job. The army more than happy to let Goering fall on his sword obliged and stopped.

I heard that too.

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 20
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 8:52:57 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

I heard that too.

Ditto. Plus that the forward divisions were worn down.

I suspect if they had really appreciated the success the sea lift would en joy then they would have pressed much harder on land.

Post #: 21
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 8:55:11 PM   
veji1

this type of discussion is largely nonsensical. In the end one can only be thankful that Dunkirk happened the way it happened, that the Germans made the mistake of not reducing the pocket fast enough and that the english and french soldiers trapped saved what, and I am a frenchman, had the most value to be saved at that time, the english soldiers.

Now what one has to grasp, accept and in a sense forgive, is that both countries have a vastly different feeling about dunkirk. For the brits it is the battle of britain part 1, the first proof of their heroism, foretelling what is to come : One year of resisting alone against hitler's forces. Ie an exhilarating story, the light of future victory in midst of defeat.

For the French dunkirk is the shame of defeat, the shame of military defeat, compounded by political defeat (ie the 100 000 french soldiers than crossing again to France to be prisonners of war), their land being occupied by the nazis for 4 years, etc... So Dunkirk just 100% sucks, and to read an watch british media basking in this grandiose example of the resilience of the british people in face of overwhelming odds yada yada yada... You see how the bitterness can come to the surface.

Add to this, and one has only to read Churchill's memoirs, how many french political leaders felt they had shouting for years about german danger only for the british among other to consider it paranoid, and actually to go back to the old island way of thinking : we don't want a dominant power in Europe, and right now the danger comes from France not Germany... Peace in our time was not a sentence uttered by Daladier as far as I know... Not saying that the french elite was by any means perfect, but just to give a bit of perspective on the bitterness the Dunkirk episode elicits in France.

Ah well still, the french lost pretty badly, their command sucked, they were fighting the previous war against new methods. Nevertheless they lost close to 200 000 casualties (killed and injured) in 6 weeks of fighting, a decent pool of blood if you ask me. Did many run, sure when the General Staff doesn't give orders and the officers start to waver, what is the rank and file to do.

So let's be thankful for the success of the Dunkirk evac, which mitigated the disaster, but let's not also forget the context of it all, and keep in mind that well for the French, the Dunkirk pocket is just part of an unreally painful process of utter, complete defeat and shame, that took just 6 weeks time.

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

Post #: 22
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 8:55:48 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

I heard that too.

Ditto. Plus that the forward divisions were worn down.

I suspect if they had really appreciated the success the sea lift would en joy then they would have pressed much harder on land.

So everyone is right. Nice ending to the thread.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/11/2013 8:57:33 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 23
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/11/2013 10:33:56 PM   
oldman45

Veji1, I don't think anybody was making light of the sacrifice of the French soldier in the fight. I for one realize things were pretty badly stacked against the French, that said, there were some brilliant counter attacks made by the French armor, and because of poor tactics, in many cases poor senior leadership the line doggie paid in blood. You are right to say we all should be thankful it turned out the way it did. Any other result could have had Europe speaking Russian.

Post #: 24
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/12/2013 12:03:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

I recommend "Dunkirk- Fight to the last man" by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore

Excellent, particularly about the various formations in the rearguard
warspite1

+1 Superb book

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 25
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/12/2013 12:21:14 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: veji1

this type of discussion is largely nonsensical. In the end one can only be thankful that Dunkirk happened the way it happened, that the Germans made the mistake of not reducing the pocket fast enough and that the english and french soldiers trapped saved what, and I am a frenchman, had the most value to be saved at that time, the english soldiers.

Now what one has to grasp, accept and in a sense forgive, is that both countries have a vastly different feeling about dunkirk. For the brits it is the battle of britain part 1, the first proof of their heroism, foretelling what is to come : One year of resisting alone against hitler's forces. Ie an exhilarating story, the light of future victory in midst of defeat.

For the French dunkirk is the shame of defeat, the shame of military defeat, compounded by political defeat (ie the 100 000 french soldiers than crossing again to France to be prisonners of war), their land being occupied by the nazis for 4 years, etc... So Dunkirk just 100% sucks, and to read an watch british media basking in this grandiose example of the resilience of the british people in face of overwhelming odds yada yada yada... You see how the bitterness can come to the surface.

Add to this, and one has only to read Churchill's memoirs, how many french political leaders felt they had shouting for years about german danger only for the british among other to consider it paranoid, and actually to go back to the old island way of thinking : we don't want a dominant power in Europe, and right now the danger comes from France not Germany... Peace in our time was not a sentence uttered by Daladier as far as I know... Not saying that the french elite was by any means perfect, but just to give a bit of perspective on the bitterness the Dunkirk episode elicits in France.

Ah well still, the french lost pretty badly, their command sucked, they were fighting the previous war against new methods. Nevertheless they lost close to 200 000 casualties (killed and injured) in 6 weeks of fighting, a decent pool of blood if you ask me. Did many run, sure when the General Staff doesn't give orders and the officers start to waver, what is the rank and file to do.

So let's be thankful for the success of the Dunkirk evac, which mitigated the disaster, but let's not also forget the context of it all, and keep in mind that well for the French, the Dunkirk pocket is just part of an unreally painful process of utter, complete defeat and shame, that took just 6 weeks time.
warspite1

I hoped my initial post made clear that the French rear-guard action deserves its rightful place in the annals of war.

What was unhelpful about the YouTube video was that it was not designed with an objective point of view i.e. that life is not as simple as black and white. It is so disappointing that so many people go through life with such a blinkered view and cannot see there are two sides to every story.

Churchill knew full well that in no way shape or form could Dunkirk be seen as a victory, but the fact was that the British people needed a morale boost to keep fighting. Remember too that Churchill was a Francophile not a Francophobe. The "victory" of Dunkirk message was designed to raise morale in the UK - not to kick the French in the gonads.

As for the actions of Britain and France in the build up to WWII, this has been debated on this forum before and, as with the Dunkirk episode, should be looked at from the point of view of the countries at the time and not through some 21st century - we-know-how-it-turned-out lens.

Bottom line, the British and French were democracies, their leaders were desperate to avoid another war - not because they were cowardly appeasers, but because they had lived through the horror of the trenches and wanted to avoid a repeat at all costs.

BTW I can imagine how the French feel about WWII - the Malaya, Singapore, Burma episode is very painful to us.

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 26
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/12/2013 12:48:15 AM   
Treetop64

One would think that, hypothetically, roles would have been reversed had the fighting been in Britain instead of France, seeing the British staying back playing rearguard while French troops are being evacuated.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/12/2013 1:43:27 AM   
Gunner98

I have always liked this clip as an explanation of how British strategy should evolve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f8MinrUTpw

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 28
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/12/2013 2:10:14 AM   
Treetop64

"...maliciously playing better football than us." Lol.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 29
RE: Dunkirk details... - 9/12/2013 3:05:08 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey0wvGiAH9g

A clip from the previous milenium so its clearly been going on for long...

I am unaware of the 'sharing a CV' situation.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Dunkirk details... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI