Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MULTIPLAYER

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> MULTIPLAYER Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MULTIPLAYER - 9/10/2013 2:00:37 PM   
operating

I have news for anybody, who has great games against the AI, try MP! it's a whole new experience, and surprisingly easy to particpate in, once you set up an MP account. I have never played MP in my life and I am glad I did. Signing in to MP is smooth, settingup for a challange is smooth, while in MP, you can leave private messages to your opponent at the begining of a turn, and at the end of your turn, likewise, for your opponent. Personelly, I give it a thumbs up...

< Message edited by operating -- 9/10/2013 2:03:51 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/10/2013 3:34:19 PM   
suprass81

I'm playing MP games from the begining. Begining was hard (lot of bugs) but now game is stable. After first patch I didn't noticed any fatal crash... :D

And for anyone who didn't play MP game- worst human opponent is better to play with than AI!

Good luck to all of Commanders :D

P.S. you can log on Slitherine forum and set an option for email notification about turn made by your opponent- you don't have to check in game if there are any new turns...

< Message edited by suprass81 -- 9/10/2013 3:38:06 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 2
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/10/2013 5:16:31 PM   
operating

Maybe Suprass can answer this question; Can MP MODS be played using this site, or do players have to go to another site to use MODS? In other games I have been interested in, MP MOD players could not use the game MP host from the game supported site. It appears you can here. Another thing is; Can one MP player be on "privilaged", with the other on "balanced" in the same game?

(in reply to suprass81)
Post #: 3
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/12/2013 1:37:00 PM   
operating

Just started an MP game with my second opponent. What I like is being able to have a number of games going on at the same time. What it does; is keeps you active, in between lulls from game turns, I have the time, others may not.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 4
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/12/2013 3:41:13 PM   
villev

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

Maybe Suprass can answer this question; Can MP MODS be played using this site, or do players have to go to another site to use MODS? In other games I have been interested in, MP MOD players could not use the game MP host from the game supported site. It appears you can here. Another thing is; Can one MP player be on "privilaged", with the other on "balanced" in the same game?

I'll give it a try:

MODS - I imagine you just make a copy of the game folder and mod files there. You log into your MP game through the modded game for those matches, and through the regular unmodded game for the unmodded matches.

MP BALANCE - there isn't an option for a handicap in MP games, so they are always "balanced" as in no PP bonus for either side.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 5
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/12/2013 5:55:04 PM   
operating

quote:

MP BALANCE - there isn't an option for a handicap in MP games, so they are always "balanced" as in no PP bonus for either side.

This is good to know!

(in reply to villev)
Post #: 6
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/13/2013 2:01:51 AM   
operating

The Forum has been quiet the last couple of days. During those days, I have been playing all day and night, with 2 other members, with a third I am waiting for to start a game, it struck me that if I am that busy with the game, that others maybe as well, engaging in MP. Beneath the forum, I think there is alot going on.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 7
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/13/2013 2:55:30 PM   
operating

Without a doubt, MP is high intensity! Especialy, deeper into a match.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 8
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/14/2013 4:15:51 AM   
Symple

It is indeed fun, but a bit cumbersome via the Slitherine interface.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 9
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/14/2013 10:43:03 AM   
suprass81

And this is how it looks near the end. Fighters, bombers and tanks. Different tactics. All to defeat a human enemy.
[image][/image]

(in reply to Symple)
Post #: 10
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/14/2013 1:49:47 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symple

It is indeed fun, but a bit cumbersome via the Slitherine interface.

Is there a interface that you prefer?

(in reply to Symple)
Post #: 11
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/14/2013 2:00:37 PM   
operating

What you have for an army looks impressive, But it looks like you are pulling back on your French front. With 8 turns to go, what kind of Victory will it be? or are you playing for "bloodlust"?

In MP can the match continue past the end date without a problem, do you know what I mean?

< Message edited by operating -- 9/14/2013 3:49:17 PM >

(in reply to suprass81)
Post #: 12
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/14/2013 6:56:26 PM   
suprass81

If Diver will not force any of my country to surrender it will be a minor victory for me. I don't think that I will be able to defeat France.
P.S. There was 18 turn to the end :D
P.S. I that game I have seen tank vs tank battle first time :) Which is impossible vs AI I think.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 13
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/14/2013 8:09:37 PM   
operating

Getting that far into a match, I think is pretty awesome myself, no matter what the outcome is.

Sorry, I don't know how to count turns, I missed that little (1) before the 8.

It looks like Driver declared war on the Netherlands, that's another aspect about MP, that the AI would never do, as far as what I have experienced, creativity....

(in reply to suprass81)
Post #: 14
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/20/2013 4:53:53 AM   
operating

Been playing MP for about a week and a half, it's been fantastic! Have not completed a match yet, been losing most, but you (I) learn aspects of MP continuosly, mostly learning from mistakes and your opponents' style. You have to calculate, and give thought, more so, than a dumb down AI match. Don't get me wrong, the AI is good, but is preprogramed and somewhat predictable, you will not find it so in MP. It seems the one who makes the least mistakes, wins, and the only way to find out, is try it yourself. It's tough to be on the losing end of a battle, you don't die, it helps prepare you with experience before going into another battle and pray that you do better.

Currently have 5 matches going on, although one those seems to have fallen off the face of the planet, I can only surmize that his English computer broke down.

If you truly want to have fun, join in on the MP lobby, I have an open challange there. If you are a first timer, look me up, if you want to get started, and get a feel for MP. Nothing gained, is nothing lost. There are some strong players out there, beleive me, alot better than I am, they will make you think twice, if not three times about your next move.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 15
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/20/2013 11:51:56 AM   
operating

Should add this; Once you set your MP account (simple), Click on "Challanges", the same list of games and side picks (CP/E) are there as in single player. Select what you want, hit "Host" (password ? is not necessary, however is an option) and then maybe "confirm", you are now entered into the "All Games List" of games available to play, if that's what you want to do.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 16
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/20/2013 9:38:16 PM   
operating

Another avenue to get a match, is to pm a particular member, or look up their name on the "forum members list". Click their name, an info window will pop up with an email address, click the email address and send whomever a message/challange. A discrete path to a match.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 17
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/24/2013 3:02:55 AM   
operating

Have 10 matches happening now, 1 is still in the dead zone (have to wait 30 days to claim it), the only reason I would claim it, would be so to get it off my "match opponents list". 1 other is over (I lost), but my opponent is out of town for several days, we'll finish it then.

8 matches are active. With 2 of my opponents we ended up going both ways, otherwords, in one game I took Entente, then in the second, I took CP. What that allowed us to do, was to keep "rolling" the games continuously, for hours and hours, hardly any "lag time" waiting for a match notice. We would be both busy working on match responses, until one or the other of us, got burnt out.

One of my opponents, asked me to do a MOD with him, I felt bad for I failed him, for I could not grasp on how to install a MOD. I'll be right out in the open, " I am computer illiterate" . If there was some button to click to get a MOD up, I would have joined in a heartbeat.

All in All, every match has performed/developed differently in a variety of ways, and there is not one I don't enjoy.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 18
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/26/2013 3:45:06 PM   
operating

It a good idea to keep track of your opponent(s) time zone. It helps to know an expected turn reply and why there is a delay in responses. Take for instance that there is a 6 hour difference between the East Coast of the United States and Poland.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 19
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 9/29/2013 2:58:54 PM   
operating

All the MP players are probably are having server connection issues right now. LZ has posted that the issue is reported, up there in the Tech Support thread. I have a number of "green turns", that won't respond (download) at the moment, and crashes on uploads. I as well as others would like to continue with their opponents ASAP.

Thought to put this "out there", so nobody feels alone trying to use MP.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 20
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 10/9/2013 12:36:20 AM   
operating

MP has totally got my attention, as well as others, while talking back and forrth in PMs.

Like myself, many are new to MP and I think at first intiminated by it. Today lost my second match in MP, lost my second match first, then my first match lost second. Both opponents experienced top notch players.

I forget the expression, but it goes something like this; "Baptism while under fire"!
It's invalueable from those matches going forward, something I cannot emphasize enough.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 21
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 3/14/2014 2:13:45 PM   
operating

Have not gone MP since last November, when my PC died. The other day started a match, under the new 1.4.2 version, against a worthy opponent (with my fairly new PC). Forgot how tough it is playing MP, but at the same time so gratifying.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 22
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 3/19/2014 2:51:25 PM   
operating

See a lot of members signing up for MP matches, which I think is just awesome! If anybody wants to post about their experience, Please do! I'm sure others would love to hear what you have to say....

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 23
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 4/1/2014 4:40:11 PM   
operating

Currently active in 4 matches (2 as CP, 2 as Entente). Without a doubt playing CP is hard, once CP looses momentum, it's all downhill, with few exceptions: if the opponent makes a mistake that can be capitalized on. As Entente, there is a bounty of wealth and resources available to wear down CP. A CP player would have to be very crafty to pull off a victory in MP. One CP opponent has made some headway into Serbia and France, pretty much ignoring Russia. MY problems with being CP could be my playing style and/or management, for once committed, it's hard to alter plans.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 24
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 4/1/2014 7:48:46 PM   
Tomokatu

I have enough problems against the AI anyway! (ver 1.4.2 with static SGs)

I will (eventually) give MP a run, but only after V1.5 is released - (poke Kirk)

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 25
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 4/1/2014 8:57:22 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomokatu

I have enough problems against the AI anyway! (ver 1.4.2 with static SGs)

I will (eventually) give MP a run, but only after V1.5 is released - (poke Kirk)

If you are having trouble against the AI, it might not be best time to go MP.. Having confidence in yourself as to how to see a path to victory, says a lot about experience. In one of my matches against CP, we set a "ground rule": to not go any more than 1 hex from SG starting point, much like what seems to be Kirk's original plan. If a member goes MP using the 1.4.2 version, it really is practice for 1.50, then of course from there another patch. Even with prior experience I had to practice with 1.4.2 in SP 1914 before jumping back into MP.

(in reply to Tomokatu)
Post #: 26
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 4/12/2014 10:24:07 AM   
operating

Currently involved in 8 MP matches, don't even have the urge for SP (except for a place to practice). One match is completely dead, waiting for the calendar to go 30 days to claim match, just to get it off the MP list. The funny thing about claiming a game that way, is there is no honor in it. If your opposing player for whatever reason cannot or will not finish a match, they should just surrender, then be on their way. Unless for mechanical or patch situations that prevent them from doing so.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 27
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 4/12/2014 7:37:04 PM   
operating

Another event happened today: Where a match suddenly ended. It turns out, my opponent accidently hit the "surrender button" , fortunately, it was turn 12 and not later in a match, also he was beating me bad in Serbia, so I did not feel real bad about the result, but was puzzled when it happened. So he posted another MP match, now we are at each other throats again.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 28
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 4/22/2014 11:00:37 AM   
operating

Currently have 10 matches in MP: 5 have been active, 3 stuck with CTD (waiting for staff to fix them), 2 in the dead zone (nonresponsive for awhile). By far, Entente dominates almost all games, with exception of 2 matches. Playing as CP is a real challenge, difficult to master, also depending on the opponent. Have a new CP opponent who has come up with a very interesting 1914 opening, waiting to see how it plays out before commenting here, he no doubt has my attention. I don't claim to be an excellent player, but would claim to be a competent player and realize I have my faults with skill and strategies, also see the advantages of playing out a match, even being on the losing end of it. IMO I don't feel that the Entente needs to be any more powerful than they are now, but as a matter of balance, it seems after 1914 CP has a problem with production as the game is now. Yes, the CP was scraping by historically as the war progressed, a very skilled player has a chance to manage this into a CP win, however rare for the average player. The art of the game is playing it and understanding what works best for you.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 29
RE: MULTIPLAYER - 4/22/2014 2:03:47 PM   
suprass81

I don't know how it work in this version but playing MP as a CP hard. It push you to be very creative in eny actions. It's not as easy to defend just standing still in trench becous Entente sooner or later will have adventage in number. The proble is (in my oppinion) to make a plan and strike where opponent doesn't expect you (I know- this is a good play for all strategy game :D but in this game it's tricky). you have to think out what units use. After last patch I think that moust emportant is the use of "modern" warfare- all kin of air units. And the moust emportant thing for all CP strategy- Serbia. This little piece of land can hold your army too long so a quick actions are needed in there.
I'm also testing if there is a different way than leaving west in trench and attacking Russia first (it was a best strategy before last patch IMO). Finding new "opening moves" will keep MP games fresh each time you start it :D.
And one more thing- for the first look this game looks simple in gameplay (other wargames are more complicated) but when you stop for a while and start to thinking about different tactics and strateges it became very interesting. You don't have to think about many little "things' to do just pure war and production/reserch planning. And this is moust biutiufull in this game for me :D
Sorry for may bad english :P

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> MULTIPLAYER Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI