Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Spanish Civil War Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Spanish Civil War Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spanish Civil War Campaign - 2/26/2001 4:50:00 AM   
Redleg

After a year's delay, I have decided to try a Spanish Civil War campaign. Some of the fighting will take place near Corbera, Mora de Ebro, Pinell. Also Sierra Pandols (hill 666). Any Spaniards out there who will describe this area? As I understand it, bare mountains, ravines, olive trees, vinyards, fig trees, poplars, and many rock formations. If you would like to help me with the accuracy of this campaign, you will get credit (or blame) for the outcome if you like. Right now I am thinking of about 10-12 scenarios. email "artifice@fireserve.net" with any information you may have to share.

Post #: 1
- 2/26/2001 5:24:00 AM   
Dedas

If I knew something about spanish history I would be of some help, but as it is I know nothing about it and wouldnt be of to much help as with helping with the history part. But if you "really" need someone, here I am! Send an E-mail: dedas@telia.com ------------------ Glory to the brave

Glory to the brave

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 2
- 2/26/2001 5:27:00 AM   
Figmo

Redleg, I know of 4 or 5 SP1 scenarios from that era. If you want I could send them to you or convert the maps to SPWaW so you can at least look at them. I'd love to help test them when ready - but I'm no expert on that era - heck - I'm not even a toddler. Standing by, Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 3
- 2/26/2001 7:14:00 AM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

Hello Redleg, There is a group of people on a French SPWAW forum who have been working for some time on a Spanish Civil War "Campaign". I put in brackets, not to be pejorative but in fact because their campaign is not a campaign in the normal SPWAW sense, but in fact a series of scenarios in which selected players go head to head and influence the progression of the SCW through their results. One group plays the Nationalists and the other the Republicans. They have already created some impressive maps. The moderator of the group is Valère Hervet, a French Canadian. You can contact him at the following adress and who knows? you might be able to collaborate. vhervet@hotmail.com Regards, Christophe

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 4
- 2/26/2001 6:20:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

There is also a good source for a SCW campaign in the Campaign Series of Osprey : The Ebro (number 38 I think). Regards, Christophe

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 5
- 2/26/2001 11:26:00 PM   
David Roldán

Hello Redleg. Im Spanish. Tell me what you need. I don´t promise anything, but I´ll try.

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 6
- 2/27/2001 1:57:00 AM   
Redleg

Oh, so many sources in a single day! To begin with, I am desperate for accurate terrain features around the Ebro River and the places mentioned earlier. I have located the names of some of the battalion and company commanders. Still working on the names of platoon leaders and commissars. The 24th battalion was a Spanish Battalion in the Lincoln Brigade. I would like to find out as much as possible about that battalion. In the meantime, I will check out information you have so graciously provided.

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 7
- 2/27/2001 2:38:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

Hi Redleg! I’m not from Spain but from Argentina. I’m very exiting to read that someone is working on a Spanish Civil war campaign. I don’t know much about Spanish Civil war, but I have a collection book named “Great Battlefields of the World”, which has a short resume of the Republican Ebro’s counter offensive on July 1938. It has no much information, but there is a 3D map of Hill 481, that was a key Hill 2km eastern of Gandesa. The 15th International Brigade made an attempt to take it by storm on 1st August 1938. I don’t know how accurate is the 3D picture, but is all that I have. I don’t have a scanner, but my brother has one. If you like I can ask him that scan me the picture and send to you by e-mail. (knowing my brother it could take some time!). References are in Spanish, but I can translate them for you. Best Regards. PD: Campaign will be fight from which side? (You can Image which side I prefer ... ) ------------------ No Pasarán!!

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 8
- 2/27/2001 3:10:00 AM   
David Roldán

Redleg; I live in Navarra, Spain, near Ebro river(200 mts). Send me all you need, my email is darolcas@hotmail.com. Pd: The Lincoln Batallion? Are you sure?

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 9
- 2/27/2001 1:20:00 PM   
Redleg

Lots of interest in the SCW it appears! In appreciation for all of the offers of help, I have prepared a preview scenario of the first battle of the Lincoln Battalion (it was not yet a brigade) in Feb, 1937 on the Madrid-Valencia road. Warning! It is not an easy battle to win! The Fascist (Nationalist) side are going to resent the presence of Cuban, Irish, Puerto Rican, and U.S. intruders! To get this scenario, please email me "artifice@fireserve.net" and I'll send it to you.

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 10
- 2/27/2001 8:38:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

Taken from Bibliofind: (Merriman, Robert Hale). Merriman, Marion; and Lerude, Warren.: AMERICAN COMMANDER IN SPAIN: Robert Hale Merriman and the Abraham Lincoln Brigade. ; AMERICAN COMMANDER IN SPAIN: Robert Hale Merriman and the Abraham Lincoln Brigade. Reno, NV: University of Nevada Press, 1986. (Nevada Studies in History and Political Science). 8vo, reddish brown cloth titled in gilt, in dw (very light soiling to front panel; small crease to rear flap). xiii & 255 pp. B&W illustrations. Fine in near fine dw. ///The only biography of Robert Hale Merriman, “…the first combat commander of the Abraham Lincoln Battalion, and a major figure in the Spanish Civil War. According to John Kenneth Galbraith, Ernest Hemingway based his character Robert Jordan in 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' in part on Robert Merriman” [dw]. Written with Warren Lerude by Marion Merriman Wachtel, who served at her husband's side and was the only woman to serve in the Abraham Lincoln Battalion in the International Brigades. MILITARY; SPANISH CIVIL WAR; INTERNATIONAL BRIGADES; ABRAHAM LINCOLN BRIGADE; ROBERT HALE MERRIMAN; MARION MERRIMAN; WARREN LERUDE. Offered for sale by Blue Mountain Books & Manuscripts, Ltd. at US$20.00 and: ROLFE, EDWIN : Lincoln Battalion: The Story of the Americans who Fought in Spain in t ; 0 . ROLFE, EDWIN. Lincoln Battalion: The Story of the Americans Who Fought in Spain in the International Brigades. In Slipcase with Men in Battle: A Story of Americans in Spain by Alvah Bessie. Veterans of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade (1939 & 1954), 321 & 345 pp., worn slipcase , MILITARY LINCOLN ROLFE, EDWIN (UR#:34896 ) Offered for sale by John & Mary Rybski, Booksellers at US$55.00

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 11
- 2/28/2001 2:13:00 AM   
Redleg

Thanks for all of the information. You will find Robert Merriman personally leading the attack in this first scenario (author's license). "Men in Battle" by Alvah Bessie is a very interesting book, indeed. You will also see "Sgt" Bessie in this scenario even though he didn't arrive in Spain until sometime later. (Great license on my part).

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 12
- 3/1/2001 3:50:00 AM   
x6ftundx_slith

Hey Redleg when you got the scenarios ready gimme an email ill be happy to playtest them Commando Solo

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 13
- 3/1/2001 8:31:00 PM   
ruxius

Hi mr.Redleg, I am going to create an Italian Long Campaign along the next year...and I would like to include some scenarios from Spanish Civil war..so I am very interested in your campaign because I do not know so much about it..about unit names , maps and battles..I know that there were some volunteers from Italy that fought in both sides of that war so I would like to reflect this in my campaign.. Will you update me when your work will be finished ? I would appreciate it very much My address is ruxiusf@libero.it or if you like please tell me where I will be able to download it Thank you in advance ! Hi from Francesco !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 14
- 3/1/2001 10:05:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

quote:

Originally posted by ruxius: Hi mr.Redleg, I am going to create an Italian Long Campaign along the next year...
Ruxius, An Italian Campaign sounds real good. Why don't you have it start in Abyssinia, then through the Spanish Civil War to WWII? Regards, Christophe

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 15
- 3/2/2001 2:12:00 AM   
ruxius

Why don't you have it start in Abyssinia, then through the Spanish Civil War to WWII? Christophe[/B][/QUOTE] Hi mate ! That's exactly what I am going to do and I would say that could not be different as Abyssinian was the only campaign we succeded in winning... The 'trailer' includes all theatres of war in to a temporal order like this : Abyssinia Spain France North Afrika Greece Russia and something more....(some should be very surprising ) But I have some great troubles because my project should be managed as a separate combination of several very different subcampaigns rather than an entire Long Campaign Subcamp.s can be achieved quite well in the actual campaign editor of SPWAW45 ..but I would have liked to have a little group of core units...able to shift among subcamps keeping ranking and experience...like a veteran elitary command staff battlegroup representing the player's attempt to do well where history showed italian general failure ! In other words I asked more flexibility to editor of SPWAW50...I need to see there what can be done and I really hope that at least I will avoid the complicacy of Fred Chlanda editor.. The contribute of Italian volunteers in Spain can not be compared to kampfgrouppe that fought in Russia or Greece...I can not let the player spend 1000 battle points and go through so many different scenarios.. Actually I am going to give 200 points for core units and use a lot of auxiliary units and support points..this is the best solution except for the problem of subcampaign lenght ..especially in Russia were a second battle should keep in mind which vehicles were burned (that can not be replaced in the second due to Italian deficiencies in resupplying) Thats all , I beg my pardon for my off-topic subject..I hope this will show to the designers of SPanish Civil War my respect of their work if ever I will be inspired by them !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Redleg)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Spanish Civil War Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI