Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gaming LPs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Gaming LPs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gaming LPs - 9/19/2013 6:59:10 PM   
Boomer78

Do any of you find yourselves watching people play games as much as you play them? Gaming 'let's plays' are all over the internet, and I often sit back on a weekend with a few beers and just watch other people play games. And when I'm done I feel like a little bit more of my soul is gone. Why is something like that so addictive?

If you had told me just 5 years ago that I'd spend as much time watching other people playing games as I do myself, I'd have called ya crazy. Is that just laziness? Less time available? Less mental focus? Maybe I'm just getting too old for this stuff now. Either way, it's a strange observation.

I gotta say, I think my favorites are the horror games. It's just so fun to watch people get scared out of their minds while playing Amnesia or Outlast.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"
Post #: 1
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/19/2013 8:20:24 PM   
DSWargamer

Why would it be seen as weird?

You boys shell out massive sums to watch over paid athletes all the time, play the game instead of you playing it yourself. Once upon a time, sports was something you did, not watched. I think TV is more a curse than a boon.

My son likes to watch Starcraft 2 games, he learns from the better players. He's fairly good himself.

I think a well done game video though can be better than a demo. At least the person doing the video actually understands the game.

I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 2
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/19/2013 9:14:31 PM   
Terminus

I watch more LPs than I play games myself.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 3
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/19/2013 9:29:00 PM   
wings7

I think you learn alot about the game you are watching, which makes the game more enjoyable when you play it. It also inspires me to dive in and play the game!

Patrick

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/20/2013 2:35:54 AM   
Gilmer

Not as much as playing the game, but I do watch a lot, especially games I am thinking of getting. They give me an idea of what it will be like to play the game. I have bought games and not bought games based on LPs.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 5
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/20/2013 3:34:47 AM   
dougo33

I find myself watching the let's play videos for DW to help me learn the nuances of the game. DW is a good example of a game with many levels of depth that are easy to overlook (especially if you automate things). I have also used them to learn how to play PW and WiTE. I enjoy seeing other people's play styles for games to help me formulate strategies for games.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 6
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/20/2013 5:12:43 AM   
Boomer78

One of my favorite genres when I was younger was horror/survival games. The first couple of Resident Evils and Silent Hills were great. But these corridor jump scare games like Slender or Amnesia are just too much. But if you want a good laugh without the risk of heart attack, try out some of these LPs. Hell, even watching someone play a dusty old classic like System Shock 2 still brings about plenty of tension (and memories).

With strategy games I'm like you guys. I like to watch other people mess around with shortcut keys and map tactics. It's like reading a game manual, only you know, fun.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to dougo33)
Post #: 7
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/20/2013 7:38:59 AM   
Qwixt

I use LPs when trying to decide whether or not to buy a game

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 8
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/20/2013 8:49:57 AM   
GaryChildress

I bought XCOM enemy unknown after watching a good number of LPs on it. Great game. Glad I found the videos on Youtube.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 9
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/20/2013 9:02:06 AM   
Jevhaddah

I pop into wargamingforfun on youtube every now and then for Warhammer and Flames of War table top gaming.

@Gary Is that the new X-Com yer playing, if so what's it like? I am currently playing the original release and having a blast

Cheers
Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 10
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/20/2013 9:30:55 AM   
british exil

I love watching LP. I have even followed whole campaigns of Total War. I only find it hard to watch, when the player forgets to keep the whole map in view and loses the oversight, but at the same time says he is doing well whilst the whole opposite flank is collapsing. I often even find myself wanting to zoom in on units or clicking on info tiles.

But I admit it is nice to have this aspect of a demo, to see if the game is made for my taste.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 11
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/20/2013 3:55:14 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

I pop into wargamingforfun on youtube every now and then for Warhammer and Flames of War table top gaming.

@Gary Is that the new X-Com yer playing, if so what's it like? I am currently playing the original release and having a blast

Cheers
Jev

I believe so. It's by Firaxis and 2K games. Great graphics. They really did a good job on them.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 12
RE: Gaming LPs - 9/20/2013 4:52:03 PM   
Neilster

XCOM-Enemy Unknown? Award-winningly excellent.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Gaming LPs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll