Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Performance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Performance Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Performance - 9/24/2013 10:47:08 PM   
montanaza

How you guys finding performance?

My system is an over clocked q9550 @ 3.4ghz with 6gb ram and a Geforce gtx 460 1gb version.

Hdd is a standard 7200RPM version...

I'm experiencing some interface lag. A second or two lag when clicking on stuff.

Otherwise, awesome game! Loving every second and finding it so refreshing to see a Dev team willing to build such a complex milsim in today's day and age. Well done, and good luck!
Post #: 1
RE: Performance - 9/24/2013 11:05:49 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Often that level of lag can be caused by naughty video card control panel antics. Check on the nVidia control panel that vertical syncing is not turned off, or that it might be set to allow too many frames to be rendered ahead.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to montanaza)
Post #: 2
RE: Performance - 9/24/2013 11:12:18 PM   
NefariousKoel

.. or forced Anti-aliasing perhaps?

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 3
RE: Performance - 9/24/2013 11:42:59 PM   
Starstruck

I am running it on a stock iMac (i5 processor) using Windows 7 under Bootcamp and it is running well. Initial load is a bit slow. FYI - I did try to run it off the Mac desktop using Parallels - but it was very, very slow.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 4
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 2:37:19 AM   
Rangoon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

Often that level of lag can be caused by naughty video card control panel antics. Check on the nVidia control panel that vertical syncing is not turned off, or that it might be set to allow too many frames to be rendered ahead.

Cheers

Pip

Since this game runs in a window (or maybe I'm missing the selection for full screen?), how does the video card's control panel handle settings? Does it use global and/or application-specific settings? Or does it not even know a "game" is being run?

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 5
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 2:57:53 AM   
NefariousKoel

I'm having some sluggish performance too. Using a bit older AMD card on my desktop (1GB HD5770). I've turned off my anti-virus and keep my systray quite clean of extra crap running in the background.

It's most noticeable when changing zoom. Takes awhile for it to do so.

My first three processor cores are reaching 50% (core1) or less (around 35 to 40% for Cores 0 and 2). The fourth core is minimal. So the processing is spread out fairly nicely and the cpu usage isn't very high. Still pretty sluggish.. perhaps a rendering problem of some kind?

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 9/25/2013 3:01:24 AM >

(in reply to Rangoon)
Post #: 6
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 3:16:29 AM   
thewood1

I mentioned that in another thread about the 1-3 second lag in zooming with the mouse wheel.

Post #: 7
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 3:28:03 AM   
K 19

I have to agree with everyone else, Pip. I'm also experiencing scroll and zoom lag. This 2-D game is not that graphics-intensive. Windows XP. Verticle sync is on and I'm not rendering frames ahead. I have a GeForce 6600 256 meg video card with latest drivers, 3 gigs of ram and a 3.2 ghz dual-core Intel board. I have absolutely no problems playing other 2-D tactical games. I have also tried all different settings through nHancer, but no dice. There is obviously something wrong with this game's optimization. Please look into it.

< Message edited by K 19 -- 9/25/2013 3:34:24 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 3:31:58 AM   
BletchleyGeek

This has to do with how Windows handles hardware acceleration, and each version of Windows handles it in a different way

In Windows Vista you won't get hardware acceleration.

In Windows XP and Windows 7 you'll get hardware acceleration sometimes: on Windows 7 when the Desktop Window Manager is running and a WDDM 1.1 driver is in use.

In Windows 8 you should get hardware acceleration, all drivers should be WDDM-capable. And it also seems that Microsoft finally got around optimizing data flow between the CPU and the GPU, so better overall performance should be expected, especially when you have a Direct 3D viewport embedded into a GDI+ desktop application.

So in terms of performance, one should expect Vista < Windows XP < Windows 7 < Windows 8.

PS: Regarding the representation. You see a 2D image, indeed, but that doesn't mean it's cheap to render that 2D map with several layers of data while at the same time being able to interact with the rest of the desktop in a normal way.

< Message edited by Bletchley_Geek -- 9/25/2013 3:34:38 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 7:22:41 AM   
montanaza

I'll check those nvidia settings today,and test this on my new win 8 laptop. Will post findings here.

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 10
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 8:30:04 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

PS: Regarding the representation. You see a 2D image, indeed, but that doesn't mean it's cheap to render that 2D map with several layers of data while at the same time being able to interact with the rest of the desktop in a normal way.

Oh, I realize it's most likely the map that's causing this. That thing is insanely large and full of data! Which is great. However, my computing power isn't being taxed all that much. Maybe the slow zoom is something we'll have to get used to since the map is so big? The speed of it feels like it's being redrawn into memory anew whenever you zoom in or out, and it takes a little time to do so.

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 11
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 11:09:24 AM   
montanaza

Perhaps a ramdrive would help? Have to have lotsa RAM I guess.

Anyone tried this yet?

Post #: 12
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 11:41:18 AM   
thewood1

It does not seem to be disk access causing this issue. I have been watching disk access when scrolling and hardly a pip. I have an AMD laptop and have tried it on my wife's desktop that is AMD also. Same issue. I think I have my card set up properly, although there are some limitations as to what can be changed.

Anyone have recommendations on AMD cards settings?

(in reply to montanaza)
Post #: 13
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 11:49:14 AM   
Dimitris

When discussing performance, it is useful to clarify if we are talking about UI performance (camera zoom/pan etc.) or sim-engine performance (e.g. how long it takes to run a few sim-seconds of biggies like Shamal etc.).

So far I am glad to observe that there hasn't been any reported problem on the latter (or maybe folks haven't tackled the beast scenarios yet ). I am however somewhat surprised at the multitude of reports on the former; our impressions from the beta program were that UI ops were very fast for the vast majority of the testers.

We will definitely look into what we can do on this but we'll need everyone's help (precise system info, which exactly UI operations are lagging etc.).

Thanks to everyone!

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 14
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 12:12:04 PM   
thewood1

I think most if these are related to map moving and zooming. There is almost no way to document it. I have been watching disc access and load on CPUs and it does not seem to be related to that. It is completely playable...just a little frustrating sometimes using the mouse.

Also, is the only way to move the map to continuously centering it from another spot. It would be great if it would stay constantly centered on a unit.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 15
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 12:20:28 PM   
Dimitris

That's actually easy to do. Select the unit, then press "T". You'll see on the black status bar the word "(Tracking)", and the camera will stay glued to the selected unit. Press "T" again to disengage it.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 16
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 12:35:15 PM   
thewood1

Awesome...just missed it. It makes the zooming/moving issue a little frustrating.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 17
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 1:13:44 PM   
delenda

quote:

ORIGINAL: montanaza

How you guys finding performance?

My system is an over clocked q9550 @ 3.4ghz with 6gb ram and a Geforce gtx 460 1gb version.

Hdd is a standard 7200RPM version...

I'm experiencing some interface lag. A second or two lag when clicking on stuff.

Otherwise, awesome game! Loving every second and finding it so refreshing to see a Dev team willing to build such a complex milsim in today's day and age. Well done, and good luck!

I'm experiencing something similar e.g 2-3 seconds to open the list of aircraft in the 1st tutorial.

I have an i5 2500K overclocked to 6GHz with 8GB RAM and GTX 670 2048MB

I'm guessing that it doesn't have anything to do with graphics settings as it's opening a treeview.

I assume this counts as UI performance rather than sim-engine performance? If further info is required, I'd be happy to provide.

Thanks,

Andrew

(in reply to montanaza)
Post #: 18
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 3:11:52 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

It does not seem to be disk access causing this issue.

Confirmed.

This actually runs more smoothly on my laptop, with it's 5400rpm hard drive, than my desktop. Neither are breaking a sweat regarding CPU usage.

To clarify.. this is a UI/Map issue, mainly relating to Zoom. Rt-clicking to move the map viewpoint is pretty fast but zooming in our out even one level is sluggish and on my desktop it can take a second or two before it does so.

The Aircraft List in first tutorial scenario is also slow to expand on both.

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 9/25/2013 3:12:45 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 19
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 3:38:27 PM   
thewood1

It also seems to make no difference if the game is paused or not. Even an empty battle in the editor does it.

Post #: 20
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 4:31:00 PM   
NefariousKoel

I've also started getting some stuttering sounds for missiles and explosions. It may have started after running a game for awhile, or it could just be those two sounds. Dunno yet.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 21
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 5:22:41 PM   
JOhnnyr

I'm having major performance issues as well. Zoom is very slow, interface is fairly unresponsive.

This is with a i7 4770k, GTX 660 Ti, and 8GB ram, Win8 64-bit.

The movement of the units is also choppy, but I'm assuming that is a result of the pulse tick (1 second).

My biggest issue is the zoom does not go where your cursor is, it just zooms in on the center of the screen. It's pretty frustrating, and would be much more helpful if when zooming it did so at the point of your cursor.

Post #: 22
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 5:32:18 PM   
Dimitris

That last bit has also been requested elsewhere. Looks like a strong candidate for our first update.

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 23
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 5:35:28 PM   
Primarchx

O RLY?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

That last bit has also been requested elsewhere. Looks like a strong candidate for our first update.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 24
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 6:34:53 PM   
Dimitris

Don't start Chris

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 25
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 7:44:30 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JOhnnyr

My biggest issue is the zoom does not go where your cursor is, it just zooms in on the center of the screen. It's pretty frustrating, and would be much more helpful if when zooming it did so at the point of your cursor.

That would be nice. But it's not been so bad for me since I started using Rt-Click to center the view on a map location. Since the map zoom is so sluggish, I try not to use the zoom too often anyway.

Definitely getting use out of the Rt-Click function.

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 9/25/2013 7:45:13 PM >

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 26
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 7:49:32 PM   
wombat778

Try turning off borders and coastlines in the map settings. At least on my machine, it makes a substantial difference in the speed of zooming. No idea why...

Post #: 27
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 9:14:41 PM   
JOhnnyr

quote:

ORIGINAL: wombat778

Try turning off borders and coastlines in the map settings. At least on my machine, it makes a substantial difference in the speed of zooming. No idea why...

No change here. =(

(in reply to wombat778)
Post #: 28
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 9:20:16 PM   
JOhnnyr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

When discussing performance, it is useful to clarify if we are talking about UI performance (camera zoom/pan etc.) or sim-engine performance (e.g. how long it takes to run a few sim-seconds of biggies like Shamal etc.).

So far I am glad to observe that there hasn't been any reported problem on the latter (or maybe folks haven't tackled the beast scenarios yet ). I am however somewhat surprised at the multitude of reports on the former; our impressions from the beta program were that UI ops were very fast for the vast majority of the testers.

We will definitely look into what we can do on this but we'll need everyone's help (precise system info, which exactly UI operations are lagging etc.)

Thanks to everyone!

I'd like to add my sim performance is poor - the units do not move smoothly, and often hiccup. This is with the i7 4770k, 8GB ram, gtx 660 ti, win 8 64-bit...is this expected? All around it just seems to run very poorly for me.

UI is slow, zooming is very slow/delayed, and the unit movements are jerky and erratic. (at the 1 second interval)

This is all on the first tutorial mission.

Any ideas?

< Message edited by JOhnnyr -- 9/25/2013 9:22:15 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 29
RE: Performance - 9/25/2013 9:20:53 PM   
thewood1

No change for me

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Performance Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI