Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air detachments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Air detachments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air detachments - 9/26/2013 4:15:14 PM   
Sieppo

Are they rebuildable? The manual does not say anything about this.. I have 77th Sentai, then 77th Sentai Det A and 77th Sentai Det B..

> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Post #: 1
RE: Air detachments - 9/26/2013 4:27:40 PM   
Numdydar

They all need to have the following to be rebuildable.

a) all have the same HQ
b) All planes need to be the same excat type. Easy to do with PDU On. Normally cannot do with it Off as the planes are restricted to what types they can upgrade to
c) Must be at the same AF

I hope this helps

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 2
RE: Air detachments - 9/26/2013 4:58:32 PM   
Lokasenna

You said rebuild and I thought "if they were destroyed...", not reattach. I'm not sure what happens if, say, 12th Ku Det. A is destroyed (on a ship or something). I would guess that you would only need to reattach Det. B in order to have the "full" 12th Ku again, and be able to 'divide unit' if you wanted. But I've never had this happen, so can't say for sure.

To reattach, you need what Numdydar says. I would actually recommend keeping them split up as long as possible, as it gives you greater operational flexibility on some of them. For example, there are a couple of 42-plane Sentais that are minus detachments of 9. If you were to recombine the unit and then divide it "normally", you would have 3x14 instead of 1x24 and 2x9. For those units that are bombers or fighters with recon detachments, the latter configuration (i.e. what they start in) is more useful IMO.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 3
RE: Air detachments - 9/26/2013 5:10:30 PM   
Sieppo

Reattach sorry. Awesome thanks! I'm just wondering, if I reattach those three units, I will get a squadron with 66 planes (42+12+12) ?!

EDIT: sorry the one with the "42" planes states: "max 42 less dets of 24", so I guess the final amount would be 42 TOJOS!

< Message edited by Sieppo -- 9/26/2013 5:13:08 PM >

> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4
RE: Air detachments - 9/26/2013 5:13:50 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You said rebuild and I thought "if they were destroyed...", not reattach. I'm not sure what happens if, say, 12th Ku Det. A is destroyed (on a ship or something). I would guess that you would only need to reattach Det. B in order to have the "full" 12th Ku again, and be able to 'divide unit' if you wanted. But I've never had this happen, so can't say for sure.

To reattach, you need what Numdydar says. I would actually recommend keeping them split up as long as possible, as it gives you greater operational flexibility on some of them. For example, there are a couple of 42-plane Sentais that are minus detachments of 9. If you were to recombine the unit and then divide it "normally", you would have 3x14 instead of 1x24 and 2x9. For those units that are bombers or fighters with recon detachments, the latter configuration (i.e. what they start in) is more useful IMO.

I've always operated under the assumption that if a detached portion of a unit is killed it simply frees up the restriction on the parent units maximum size so you can now fill out the full parent unit. This may or may not be correct, but from my perspective that's the way it ought to work. This essentially obviates the need to rebuild the detachment.

Hans

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: Air detachments - 9/26/2013 7:33:21 PM   
Lokasenna

That's how I think it works as well, but haven't had it happen in a game (yet? I don't really do any air transport as Japan. Base-hopping is safer and faster.).

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: Air detachments - 9/26/2013 10:26:09 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

Reattach sorry. Awesome thanks! I'm just wondering, if I reattach those three units, I will get a squadron with 66 planes (42+12+12) ?!

EDIT: sorry the one with the "42" planes states: "max 42 less dets of 24", so I guess the final amount would be 42 TOJOS!

When you reattach, any excess go to other squadrons with the same plane type at the base or they return to the pools. So you do not 'lose' them. You just do not get a monster squardon with 100+ planes in it

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 7
RE: Air detachments - 9/26/2013 10:42:42 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

easier system would be to allow custom sizing for all squadrons at all times
(or since there is a limit, to create new squadron TO&E slots at will)

after all "squadrons" are just paper

and only AC, crew, and AV support are material objects

that way the type of air force that is desired by the japanese player can be built
at his or her discretion (going after russia? may be a good idea to build some thousands of D4Y Judy
to stuka those T-34 tanks) (fighting a defensive perimeter war against the US navy? - pump out as many
emilies as you can and fit them with torpedoes)

at the moment both of those can be done, but the planes cannot be put into action since they are limited
to historical TO&E slots

so we have difficult questions on how squadron size is to be manipulated, when really it is supposed to be incredibly straightforward as it was IRL

(squadron sizes were determined by the availability of airframes, not airframes determined by squadron sizes)

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Air detachments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI