Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Who is happy with Command?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Who is happy with Command? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 3:22:21 PM   
midnight_mangler

I was a member of the beta but did not get to play as much as I would have liked due to personal problems, but after a few days of playing V1.0 I realized that Command is everything I'd hoped it would be. I seriously feel like a kid in a giant sandpit filled with every single military toy I imagined as a boy and teenager. This game is going to keep me occupied for years. And I'm also looking forward to the new scenarios (hopefully more NATO and PACT because that was "my" era) which are bound to come.

Kudos to the devs. Who else has been overcome with fan boyish enthusiasm? Please tell me I'm not alone.
Post #: 1
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 3:39:14 PM   
LuckyJim1010

Midnight - I am with you.

Quite simply overawed. I was concerned about the cost. Not anymore.

If there are people out there who really cannot afford it I would contribute an amount of money to buy it for them. A sort of 'Group By' thing

The devs deserve it and someone who is into this sort of simulation definitely deserves to be playing it.

(in reply to midnight_mangler)
Post #: 2
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 3:42:28 PM   
MaB1708

You are not alone

I am absolute happy with what I have. I spent some reasonable hours in the forum the last 2 days trying to get answers, help others, point out what I believe should be improved, identify potential bugs.

I have not been a beta-tester but next time I better be, I see things that had to be raised prior to release and that apparently have not been adressed. I would have expected more here from the myriads of testers, however I know that the devs are listening and willing to tweak this sim even more. I am happy now and will be with every future patch in the next weeks.

So I will join you in saying thank you for this product and its immense scope.

Cheers,

Martin

Post #: 3
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 4:06:25 PM   
tombo

Hi All

Im still on the fence here...please list a few game specifics why you give it such hi marks.

Thanks.

(in reply to MaB1708)
Post #: 4
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 4:06:41 PM   
thewood1

It's not just testers...it's programming resources., The beta testers might have come up with 1000 issues/suggestions. The development team has to prioritize and decide what is done pre-release and what is done post-release.

(in reply to MaB1708)
Post #: 5
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 4:14:14 PM   
adek670

Guys,

I am a bit let down.

I cant play this game at a consistent 1:1 at real time - 1 Sec. Even with what appears to be a reasonable pulse time - ranging from 0 -40 ms. The seconds are about 50% slower than real time. By merging range circles and turning off enemy range circles it improves a little - still this game is far from the graphically intensive stuff that my PC chews up.

So, what are the actual system specs for this to run comfortably??

My Specs below.

Win 7 ultimate 64-bit,Q6600, Direct X runtime version: 11.0, 2 x GeForce GTX 260, , 8 Gig Ram
Geforce driver 327.23. res: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz

< Message edited by Reaper -- 9/28/2013 4:15:54 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 4:19:21 PM   
thewood1

I am having similar issues with 1:1. Every other time runs great. Small scenarios are OK, but anything medium to large has the pulse time going all over the place and the CPU loaded. I would have expected the exact opposite.

That said, the game is awesome. I don't find the 1:1 issue that bad. But comparing it to all the features and functions avialable...holy cow. It is literally like someone played Harpoon and said how can I take this and add X, Y, and Z to make it better. Oh, and use a standard Windows interface instead of the kludged, clunky, psuedo-windows interface of Harpoon 2/3. Oh, and have a more elegant database system that also provides two massive databases out of the box.

There are some things to fix and tweak, but I am still impressed.

(in reply to adek670)
Post #: 7
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 4:54:34 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reaper

Guys,

I am a bit let down.

I cant play this game at a consistent 1:1 at real time - 1 Sec. Even with what appears to be a reasonable pulse time - ranging from 0 -40 ms. The seconds are about 50% slower than real time. By merging range circles and turning off enemy range circles it improves a little - still this game is far from the graphically intensive stuff that my PC chews up.

So, what are the actual system specs for this to run comfortably??

My Specs below.

Win 7 ultimate 64-bit,Q6600, Direct X runtime version: 11.0, 2 x GeForce GTX 260, , 8 Gig Ram
Geforce driver 327.23. res: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz

Hello,

We are currently testing beta builds for v1.01 and UI performance (map pan/zoom) is high on the priorities list. After that we look at 1:1 performance.

In general, I prefer playing at 1:5 acceleration and switching to 1:1 only when things go too fast to control.

We are also looking at an option to run in 1:1 mode with 1-sec pulse length (a.k.a. "Harpoon mode") instead of the current 0.1 sec. This effectively sacrifices fidelity for the sake of performance and in tests has dramatically increased speed.

So don't write it off yet on this score!

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 9/28/2013 4:56:37 PM >

(in reply to adek670)
Post #: 8
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 5:08:10 PM   
Mac Linehan

Gents -

Bought the game Thursday night and have been playing since. Have not been disappointed; Command is a First Class effort and has met or exceeded all expectations - my sincere respect and appreciation to the entire Command Team.

Have read and reread the rules; still so much more to learn.

> If I cancel an air mission (units already in the air), or if I detach an airborne unit from that mission, how do I get that unit(s) to Return to Base? I know that I am overlooking some basic step.

Again, am very excited to have Command on my hard drive. I was a Harpoon Guy for years, then went on to other games, what a wonderful way to return to the naval and air warfare arena.

Thank You for your assistance - I will not hesitate to ask The Smart Guys for help when needed.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 9/28/2013 5:09:27 PM >

LAV-25 2147

Post #: 9
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 5:16:37 PM   
Tomcat84

Right click unit or group and select RTB. Should do it. You can also assign a different base if you want in the right click menu. And you can see what its current assigned base is on the right somewhere in the unit information.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 10
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 5:17:05 PM   
adek670

Hi Sunburn,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Can you help with a confirmation of my system specs.

See previous posts - should I be able to run this game --- sorry im no real ninja at this stuff - just love harpoon and the alike -- this was a much anticipated release which I saved hard for and am a bit unsure still.

Also Im getting crackle from the sound effects - like static - cant imagine this is normal.

I am running an x-fi titanium

Reaper

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 11
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 5:18:54 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomcat84

Right click unit or group and select RTB. Should do it. You can also assign a different base if you want in the right click menu. And you can see what its current assigned base is on the right somewhere in the unit information.

Tomcat84 -

I knew that it would be a basic step that I was just overlooking.

I am most appreciative, Sir!

Mac

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 12
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 5:28:24 PM   
mcoyote

Pretty tickled. I like it. I still have some performance issues on one of my machines, but one way or another they'll be resolved.

I'm hoping for some UI changes over time, but IMO that's window dressing around an impressive engine I think has lots of potential. As biased as it sounds, I hope this grows to become the Harpoon of this decade and will stick with it/recommend it on that basis.

Post #: 13
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 5:44:07 PM   
Mac Linehan

mycote -

I have not had any problems with performance on my i7 computer, 6 Gigs of Ram and Nvidea Geforce 9800 GT card.

My system was assembled in 2010, and would be in the "older" category.

Am very confident that the Devs will work hard at improving Command in every aspect.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to mcoyote)
Post #: 14
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 5:54:36 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

Hi Sunburn,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Can you help with a confirmation of my system specs.

See previous posts - should I be able to run this game --- sorry im no real ninja at this stuff - just love harpoon and the alike -- this was a much anticipated release which I saved hard for and am a bit unsure still.

Also Im getting crackle from the sound effects - like static - cant imagine this is normal.

I am running an x-fi titanium

Reaper

Hello,

Yes your specs are good for this game. As I've mentioned elsewhere currently 1:1 mode is _much_ more demanding on the system than 1:5+ because it does an insane amount of calculations in a very short amount of time. Some guys take this as a sign that Command is less performant than other titles whereas the opposite is true.

We've had a couple of reports on sound crackles on some SB cards. We'll investigate it but I hope you'll forgive us if it takes lower priority than some of the performance & UI issues we are currently looking into.

Thanks!

(in reply to adek670)
Post #: 15
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 5:56:43 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan
Am very confident that the Devs will work hard at improving Command in every aspect.

Thank you. We do our best to stand up to your confidence.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 16
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 6:19:45 PM   
FireForEffect

Great game, looks like it will only get better. Extremely easy to use scenario editor and plays great on my work/travel laptop.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 17
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 7:10:03 PM   
Titanwarrior89

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to FireForEffect)
Post #: 18
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 7:26:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
Yes your specs are good for this game. As I've mentioned elsewhere currently 1:1 mode is _much_ more demanding on the system than 1:5+ because it does an insane amount of calculations in a very short amount of time. Some guys take this as a sign that Command is less performant than other titles whereas the opposite is true.

We are also looking at an option to run in 1:1 mode with 1-sec pulse length (a.k.a. "Harpoon mode") instead of the current 0.1 sec. This effectively sacrifices fidelity for the sake of performance and in tests has dramatically increased speed.

I think the above are key points to keep in mind when discussing performance in Command. 1:1 in Command is not a direct analogy to 1:1 in many other games.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 19
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 7:33:49 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

I've experienced this too.

It tends to get worse over time, the longer a scenario is running. The sound effects start getting static "crackling".

The 1:1 time setting is a bit sluggish at times, but manageable at the beginning of a scenario. However it seems to degrade slowly over time, and get worse the longer they run (too).

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 9/28/2013 7:35:14 PM >

(in reply to adek670)
Post #: 20
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 7:40:35 PM   
adek670

Erik,

For me, being able to play this in real time is what the sim is all about. 1:5 just doesn't seem to bring the reality to the game - I would like game seconds to be seconds no more no less - the game is, for me anyway, broke if it cannot replicate this.

I really want to like this game - but at the moment, its getting shelved until the updates.

Reaper

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 21
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 7:51:48 PM   
Tomcat84

And to answer the original question: I am very happy with Command. Is it perfect? No. Is there things that should be improved? Yes.

But what there already is so far is very satisfying to me. I got Harpoon 3 but it never quite seemed to do what I wanted to do and had some limitations that turned me off it. Going into Command I was not sure if this would be different, would it hold my interest or not? And it certainly did.

Additionally, for the way forward, I got into the beta in the last wave. It seems like a while ago but really looking back it was about the 24th of August that I got my first chance to play, just over a month ago only. If I look at what the small dev team accomplished in just that month, I am confident about the future. Bugs reported were fixed quickly almost all of them, and also feature requests a number still made it in, in such a short timeframe.

So is there things I want, requested, that havent been done yet? Of course, I want better waypoint control, better time on target strike planning etc. But the devs know this, they are planning on it and they are working their butts off on this an other aspects. I am already very pleased with what there is, and I know these guys are in it for the long haul and are making it better.

So to answer your question:

Me! I am happy :)

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 22
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 8:07:35 PM   
miller7219

I'm 60% happy. I'm a database lover and naval history buff, so the database itself is a gem for me. Although I'm not a scenario builder, I see the possibilities of Command's editor being endless and so robust that even scenario builder novices like me might give scenario building a try one day. I haven't studied the under the hood numbers and calculations or tested the modeling of various staples of air/naval warfare yet, but on the surface they look strong, deep, and realistic....on par and likely better and definitely more functions modeled than Harpoon ANW. Performance has been extremely good on my system, unlike some others are reporting.

Now, unfortunately the 40%. The AI is simple and weak at best, thus making the mission editor and auto attack features mostly undesirable for anything but the simplest mundane functions (like ASW patrols). Manual control is underdeveloped and missing even some basic "givens" of the genre that makes it an extreme exercise in babysitting if you want your forces to have any hope of success or survival. The UI is unpolished and lacks a full understanding of what a player wants and needs to become a true armchair naval commander. I'm trying to be kind and constructive, but I'd be lying if I said it was even close to what I wanted it to be.

Will I continue playing. Yes. It will get better with every new release, and I expect we'll being seeing very frequent and many releases beginning very, very soon to address Command's shortcomings. These guys have put a tremendous amount of work into this and although the naval simulation community isn't known for its charitable manner, I think we all can and should cut them some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt and trust they are reading every post and taking in every gripe with respect and good intent. I for one am not sorry I purchased Command, maybe not for what it is today, but what I believe it will be....just hopefully sooner than later!

(in reply to adek670)
Post #: 23
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 9:01:02 PM   
ExMachina

quote:

Seriously, I couldn't care less if 1:1 is actually one second long.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 24
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 9:07:14 PM   
ExMachina

The game has all the potential that I had hoped for AND the implementation is pretty impressive (I still haven't had a crash or freeze--this is amazing for a v1.0 game of this scale). No regrets on buying.

The weakness of Command are the "staff" AI and some aspects of the UI. I could handle one or the other but having to micromanage with a sometimes clunky interface to compensate for an incapable AI might be frustrating for some folks (I'm ok with it, but also think that it will get much better with version updates)

Right now I'm very happy with the game and because it's so stable to begin with, I think the Command developers can jump right into making improvements (rather than bug fixes).

(in reply to ExMachina)
Post #: 25
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 9:16:18 PM   
midnight_mangler

Lets be honest - it's not perfect. But for what it purports to be, it's pretty darn close. And for those who know the dev team from the harpoon days, it's difficult of think of a better team of perfectionists. ;-) I have a great deal of trust in these guys to take Command ever higher.

I for one am very optimistic about the future. The genre is headed for a rebirth - and a great one.

< Message edited by midnight_mangler -- 9/28/2013 9:19:48 PM >

(in reply to ExMachina)
Post #: 26
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 9:26:07 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: ExMachina

The weakness of Command are the "staff" AI and some aspects of the UI. I could handle one or the other but having to micromanage with a sometimes clunky interface to compensate for an incapable AI might be frustrating for some folks (I'm ok with it, but also think that it will get much better with version updates)

These two items pretty much sum it up for me....if the AI management and UI can be cleaned up, I see a lot of potential. If not, I can see this being a frustrating experience for me since I prefer not to micromanage myself. Development team seems very responsive so I have high hopes.

(in reply to ExMachina)
Post #: 27
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 9:26:44 PM   
JRyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

It's not just testers...it's programming resources., The beta testers might have come up with 1000 issues/suggestions. The development team has to prioritize and decide what is done pre-release and what is done post-release.

This...I am sure the list is rather large. I had a few on it myself.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 28
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 9:49:37 PM   
MaB1708

I was not talking about suggestions. To have them considered and if suitable implemented during the weeks and months - fine with me.
It is about issues or functionalities that do not work as designed. If some of them are found within hours of release by non-beta-testers within the tutorial missions even, for me that means insuffcient beta-testing or -testers.
It is not about what is tackled pre- or post-release, it is about identifying what has to be solved prior to release.

But all this does definitely sound unhappier then I am with COMMAND, as stated earlier from my side and others in this thread, its on its way, we trust the guys behind the projects and at the end, everything will be fine.

M

(in reply to JRyan)
Post #: 29
RE: Who is happy with Command? - 9/28/2013 10:05:58 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

Erik,

For me, being able to play this in real time is what the sim is all about. 1:5 just doesn't seem to bring the reality to the game - I would like game seconds to be seconds no more no less - the game is, for me anyway, broke if it cannot replicate this.

I really want to like this game - but at the moment, its getting shelved until the updates.

Reaper

So you'll run a two-year scenario over the span of at least two years? I'd like to see that

(in reply to adek670)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Who is happy with Command? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI