Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

List of basic questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> List of basic questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
List of basic questions - 10/8/2013 10:25:51 PM   
Davekhps

Have searched through the manual (and tried to remember my days playing the first ACW) but I'm not finding the easy answers, sorry for that...

1. In the main campaign, when can multi-element divisions first be formed? Corps?
1a. How many elements can fit into a division, and is there a penalty for too many?
2. Can elements ever be merged together outside of a division? I.e. all those random militia units/small units I'd like to combine
3. Units with a defensive posture enter an empty enemy region but won't enter an empty city/town... WAD? Do they always need to be in offensive posture to take cities/towns even if there are no enemy units present in the region?
4. How effective are sieges when in defensive posture? I'm assuming you need to outnumber the besieged enemy, but do they ever reduce the enemy, or do you just sit around for X number of turns? I pretty much have to switch to offensive, even assault, posture to ever take cities... again, WAD?
5. Is the NM/VP hit from dismissing an Army commander counted immediately, or after the turn? (i.e. if I promote a leader to an Army command accidentally/or I reconsider before advancing the turn... will dismissing him that same turn cost me anything?)
6. Is there a way to select multiple stacks at once to move/change posture/etc.?
6a. Sometimes, the stacks are all tidy like a deck of cards. But once I start organizing all around my region, I'm left with multiple scattered stacks. Is there a way to tidy them all up again, so I can see the underlying region?
7. In the early months the Union, for example, has it's main army in Washington with multiple divisions. I'm assuming that none of those divisions are attached to the army-- that no units can be attached to an army until there are corps, correct? If that's the case, is there any advantage to having the army stack present in a battle when the army has no units attached? Looks to me to just be a mass of independent stacks...
8. Is there a way to set a stack/army to interdict neighboring regions? I.e. I don't want my units to move/leave entrenchments unless the enemy moves adjacent/past my stack/army... how do I get units to pursue in that case?

I'm sure I'll have more Qs to come, but those are my biggies... thanks!

< Message edited by Davekhps -- 10/8/2013 10:29:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: List of basic questions - 10/8/2013 11:18:19 PM   
JoePirulo72

I´m not an expert, but I´ll try to help.

1. Division: october 1861. Corps: March 1862
1a. 17 + Leader. Total 18. No penalty.
2. Only merges I´ve found: 2 Militias, or 1 leader + 1 Brigade.
3.I think is WAD, you need assault posture (red)
4.No idea.
5.After the turn. So it can be undone
6. N I, but I think no
7. You can attach division to army, if they are in the same stack, the same with corps division.
8. I think no, but not sure.

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Max.

(in reply to Davekhps)
Post #: 2
RE: List of basic questions - 10/9/2013 5:08:32 AM   
Toro12

More info, and clarifications:

1a. actually, 18 plus leader

3. WAD, as Joe noted. Must be in assault posture to capture a city. (Some settlements can be captured by Yankees and some roving bands regardless of posture.)

4. Yes, you can eventually reduce a city/fortress by sitting on it. They'll end up surrendering. Time varies, from what I've seen.

6a. Best way to see the region is ALT-F4 (or CTL-F4?)

7. Pretty much, they are independent. They'll fight together if attacked, or if they arrive in a region you're attacking at the same time (some delay), but no coordination or bonuses you'll find later w/ corps and armies.

8. Nope. No ZOC.

< Message edited by cassmj -- 10/9/2013 5:12:31 AM >

(in reply to Davekhps)
Post #: 3
RE: List of basic questions - 10/9/2013 1:52:04 PM   
Davekhps

Thanks all!

7. Okay, two different answers... to confirm, there is no way to attach a division formally to an Army, an Army stack is just an extra leader in the region, but all units will be separate and distinct. This changes once Corps can be formed (and thus attached to Armies).

8. Hmmm. A question for the developers: is this really what you wanted? I don't recall if the earlier game has this feature, but I'm pretty sure that (for example) Gary Grigsby's War Between the States has this feature. It's a useful one that makes logical sense (and would by definition go a ways towards solving the ahistorical "surfaces and gaps" you see in the Confederate AI, where every unit on the board wants to sit in Canada. If you could set friendly stacks (or even just Armies) to interdict neighboring regions, you can make the game run better).

(in reply to Toro12)
Post #: 4
RE: List of basic questions - 10/9/2013 2:11:41 PM   
Ace1_slith

quote:

7. In the early months the Union, for example, has it's main army in Washington with multiple divisions. I'm assuming that none of those divisions are attached to the army-- that no units can be attached to an army until there are corps, correct? If that's the case, is there any advantage to having the army stack present in a battle when the army has no units attached? Looks to me to just be a mass of independent stacks...
8. Is there a way to set a stack/army to interdict neighboring regions? I.e. I don't want my units to move/leave entrenchments unless the enemy moves adjacent/past my stack/army... how do I get units to pursue in that case?

7. Every unit in the army stack is attached to an army. Division is part of the army if they are in the same stack.If they are not in the army stack or in the corps stacks, they will fight independently - meaning there is a chance one stack will fight and the other one won't. This depends on the stack commanders ratings, his activation, number of cavalry,... So the only way to be sure they will all fight is to put them all in army and corps stacks.

8. The way to do this within current engine is to deploy corps along several regions. When a corps is attacked, adjacent corps and armies will march to adjacent province and fight along. As always, if the general of adjacent corps is very poor (read Patterson if you are familiar with early Civil war history), he will ignore adjacent combat and sit out the battle.

The engine does allow you to target - intercept enemy stacks. Drop your stack on enemy stack instead on region. Your stack will move to intercept enemy the following turn. At the moment, there is no way to order intercept him if he does that.

(in reply to Davekhps)
Post #: 5
RE: List of basic questions - 10/9/2013 3:33:43 PM   
Davekhps

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ace1

quote:

7. Every unit in the army stack is attached to an army. Division is part of the army if they are in the same stack.If they are not in the army stack or in the corps stacks, they will fight independently - meaning there is a chance one stack will fight and the other one won't. This depends on the stack commanders ratings, his activation, number of cavalry,... So the only way to be sure they will all fight is to put them all in army and corps stacks.

8. The way to do this within current engine is to deploy corps along several regions. When a corps is attacked, adjacent corps and armies will march to adjacent province and fight along. As always, if the general of adjacent corps is very poor (read Patterson if you are familiar with early Civil war history), he will ignore adjacent combat and sit out the battle.

The engine does allow you to target - intercept enemy stacks. Drop your stack on enemy stack instead on region. Your stack will move to intercept enemy the following turn. At the moment, there is no way to order intercept him if he does that.

Thanks. Yeah, I knew about the targeting stacks, it was the interception part that bugged me. And while I knew that it would intervene if an Army corps was attacked, didn't know that was the only way to facilitate interception.

Okay, so these are my unanswered questions:
6. Is there a way to select multiple stacks at once to move/change posture/etc.?
6a. Sometimes, the stacks are all tidy like a deck of cards. But once I start organizing all around my region, I'm left with multiple scattered stacks. Is there a way to tidy them all up again, so I can see the underlying region?

(in reply to Ace1_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: List of basic questions - 10/9/2013 4:28:00 PM   
Oberst_Klink

6. Just the usual synchronised movement orders for corps attached to an army.
6a. SHIFT-F1...F4 to hide selected stacks, e.g. own/friendly/all, etc.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Davekhps)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> List of basic questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI