Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Writing orders question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Writing orders question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Writing orders question - 10/8/2013 2:18:03 PM   
Mgellis

Quick question...

When writing orders for a scenario, the last section is COMMAND AND SIGNAL. I have tended to use the following format:

Flag: [Name of Flagship]
Recommended EMCON: [the recommended EMCON]

But is this actually correct? Is it "Flag" or "Command" that should be used? Or are they both acceptable?

(Also, should it be "Recommended EMCON" or should one simply specify an EMCON?)

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Writing orders question - 10/8/2013 3:01:33 PM   
mikmykWS

Hi Mark

Do what you'd like. The descriptions and briefing dialogs have lots of edit features as well.

Mike

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Writing orders question - 10/8/2013 9:35:58 PM   
bsq

EMCON is a policy, not a recommendation - Command is not a democracy

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 3
RE: Writing orders question - 10/8/2013 10:33:44 PM   
FireForEffect

Are you trying to imitate a NATO op order? If so you'd specify the type of command and who it was designated to. Which ship is designated OTC (Officer in Tactical Command) etc. I've never heard of the use of "flag" in that context.

EMCOM policy could very well be delegated all the way down to the Operations Officer, or OOW for specific sensors.

< Message edited by FireForEffect -- 10/8/2013 10:41:58 PM >

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 4
RE: Writing orders question - 10/9/2013 2:03:33 AM   
Mgellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: FireForEffect

Are you trying to imitate a NATO op order? If so you'd specify the type of command and who it was designated to. Which ship is designated OTC (Officer in Tactical Command) etc. I've never heard of the use of "flag" in that context.

EMCOM policy could very well be delegated all the way down to the Operations Officer, or OOW for specific sensors.

bsq and FireForEffect, yes, thank you. This is the sort of thing I'm looking for. So, it should read something like this...

COMMAND AND SIGNAL

Command: Nimitz

Signal: EMCON C - Unrestricted Emissions

Is this the correct format? (I try to get these little details right because I think it makes the scenario more fun for people.) Thanks.

< Message edited by Mgellis -- 10/9/2013 2:04:45 AM >

(in reply to FireForEffect)
Post #: 5
RE: Writing orders question - 10/9/2013 2:07:09 AM   
jomni

So is there a nice briefing template to follow?

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 6
RE: Writing orders question - 10/9/2013 2:18:25 AM   
mr_quarantaine

In my opinion, every order should look like this:

Z090414ZDEC
TOP SECRET THEO
FM: USS DALLAS
TO: COMSUBLANT
INFO: CINCLANTFLT
//NOOOOO//
REDFLEET SUBOPS
1. REPORT ANOMALOUS SONAR CONTACT ABOUT 0900Z 7DEC AND LOST AFTER INCREASE IN REDFLEET SUB ACTIVITY. CONTACT SUBSEQUENTLY EVALUATED AS REDFLEET SSN/SSBN TRANSITING ICELAND INSHORE TRACK TOWARDS ROUTE ONE. COURSE SOUTHWEST SPEED TEN DEPTH UNKNOWN.
2. CONTACT EVIDENCED UNUSUAL REPEAT UNUSUAL ACOUSTICAL CHARACTERISTICS. SIGNATURE UNLIKE ANY KNOWN REDFLEET SUBMARINE.
3. REQUEST PERMISSION TO LEAVE TOLL BOOTH TO PURSUE AND INVESTIGATE. BELIEVE A NEW DRIVE SYSTEM WITH UNUSUAL SOUND CHARACTERISTICS BEING USED THIS SUB. BELIEVE GOOD PROBABILITY CAN LOCATE AND IDENTIFY.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 7
RE: Writing orders question - 10/9/2013 3:28:38 AM   
Mgellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

I'm guessing it's the "five paragraph" template provided with the existing Command scenarios. I was asking because it is a little different than the one in the manual for Harpoon 3, and I was not sure which one was preferred/most realistic/etc. It sounds like I should just use the one used with the Command scenarios, though.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 8
RE: Writing orders question - 10/9/2013 4:29:09 AM   
FireForEffect

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

It would appear they roughly follow the NATO SMESC format. A quick summary can be found here although this overview is army centric:http://kilby.sac.on.ca/activitiesclubs/cadets/Misc/OpsOrder.html

If you really want to get more information this manual could be helpful: NWP-5 NAVAL OPERATIONS PLANNING

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

COMMAND AND SIGNAL

Command: Nimitz

Signal: EMCON C - Unrestricted Emissions

Is this the correct format? (I try to get these little details right because I think it makes the scenario more fun for people.) Thanks.

Best to see if an american can help you out if you want the specifics concerning carrier groups. Naval units would go into operations with a far more extensive set of orders than what's displayed or necessary for Command so really getting it close thematically should be all that matters.

My suggestion would be to at least preface NIMITZ with USS and not worry with differences between tactical command, control etc... "flag" is not a recognized NATO term according to AAP-6 and I've never seen it used in this context.

< Message edited by FireForEffect -- 10/9/2013 5:46:44 AM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Writing orders question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI