Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 8:12:41 AM   
IainMcNeil

In case anyone missed it here is what the printed map and printed books look like for World in Flames.

The map is so big we didnt have room in our office to pay it out and take a photo so here is a to scale render of what it loook slike using the actual artwork:

Yes it is the largest map you've ever seen! The map is an optional extra or can be bought o its own. The hexes are to scale with the counter from the board game and it can be used by board game players. It is the first world map ever for WiF

And here is how the 3 hard back books that come as standard with the game look.

Yes they are really awesome.

If you have any interest in WiF at all this is a must have release! Please let anyone who might be interested know about it.

We will be at Essen with 50 early access copied on a first come first served basis. Get there early. We don't expect these to be on the stand for long!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Post #: 1
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 9:45:20 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

In case anyone missed it here is what the printed map and printed books look like for World in Flames.

The map is so big we didnt have room in our office to pay it out and take a photo so here is a to scale render of what it loook slike using the actual artwork:

Yes it is the largest map you've ever seen! The map is an optional extra or can be bought o its own. The hexes are to scale with the counter from the board game and it can be used by board game players. It is the first world map ever for WiF

If you have any interest in WiF at all this is a must have release! Please let anyone who might be interested know about it.

We will be at Essen with 50 early access copied on a first come first served basis. Get there early. We don't expect these to be on the stand for long!

warspite1

Mmmm... These maps are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. They are too big to fit into my house and even if I could, how would I actually play the game? i.e. how would I be able to lean over to reach the stacks? Impossible!

But you know what? I just don't CARE, I gotta have me those maps!!! Wow..simply....Wow and as for the manuals

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 2
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 12:24:05 PM   
fodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

WHOA!

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 3
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 4:10:15 PM   
SLAAKMAN

GIMME! GIMME! GIMME! GIMME!!!!!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 4
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 4:11:47 PM   
SLAAKMAN

(er....whats the price?)

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 5
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 6:32:46 PM   
Hertston

I dread to think. Starting to look like the sort of thing you would get as a retirement present... WiF or a set of golf clubs.

This is where previous over-pricing comes home to roost, I think. No point in the 'thousands of hours' routine as I already have several games good for that.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 6
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 6:45:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I dread to think. Starting to look like the sort of thing you would get as a retirement present... WiF or a set of golf clubs.

This is where previous over-pricing comes home to roost, I think. No point in the 'thousands of hours' routine as I already have several games good for that.
warspite1

Okay, so don't buy it

How do you know its over-priced? On what basis? I am sure you have seen the man hours, the blood, sweat and tears taken to try and bring this monster to market - with much more of that still to come.

What is the alternative? Yes, that is a rhetorical question - the game is not made is the answer as no programmer would touch such a job.

As for the "No point in the 'thousands of hours' routine as I already have several games good for that". Well maybe you have, but that is you and does not mean the "routine" is not worth repeating. Yes it is - World In Flames is highly replayable, infectious, challenging and fun and will over time cost nothing if you look at it from a cost vs time stance.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 6:48:01 PM   
wodin

warspite..as it seems it will be physical only..you may have to pay up to Customs aswell..one reason I always go digital..I remember they wanted £30 for Command Ops!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 6:52:32 PM   
Fetrik

Once the AI is in, i may be in too.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 7:24:17 PM   
Zap

@Warspite

If the pieces were magnetized and the map made of material to attach the pieces. One could keep the map on a large wall and move the pieces with a small step ladder. It would be like having your own war room. Just dreaming.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 10
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 7:29:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

@Warspite

If the pieces were magnetized and the map made of material to attach the pieces. One could keep the map on a large wall and move the pieces with a small step ladder. It would be like having your own war room. Just dreaming.
warspite1

Its a nice dream I could ask the Jacksonville Jaguar Cheerleaders to move the pieces around for me

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/19/2013 7:30:03 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 11
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 8:03:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

warspite..as it seems it will be physical only..you may have to pay up to Customs aswell..one reason I always go digital..I remember they wanted £30 for Command Ops!!
warspite1

Yes but it is what it is. If I want it (which I do) and can afford it (which I hope) then I will buy it. If Matrix have priced it too high - including customs or VAT or whatever - then I won't. But either way I am sure they won't have over priced it - they have been around long enough to have some idea on pricing a product.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/19/2013 8:26:14 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 8:13:54 PM   
Hotschi

Looks impressive. I have to confess being one ignorant who has never heard of "World in Flames" before...

Isn't it amazing? This game is not released yet, and we've already got the usual "Oh it's over-prized and I won't buy it" crap.

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 13
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 8:18:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Looks impressive. I have to confess being one ignorant who has never heard of "World in Flames" before...

Isn't it amazing? This game is not released yet, and we've already got the usual "Oh it's over-prized and I won't buy it" crap.
warspite1

Yeah - unbelievable

Its a great game and I would encourage you to visit the forum and have a nosey around if you think a strategic level WWII game might be your bag.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 14
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 8:39:19 PM   
wodin

Not talking about the price of the actual game..but the possibility of a big customs fee. £30 they wanted for Command Ops and a fair whack of that goes to Royal mail for the privilege of whatever they did to justify it. For instance I bought a bag for Freja..it cost me £15...Customs got it and I had to pay another £10!! £8 of that to Royal Mail for god knows what! It really can be a huge added cost. If you don't pay you don't get whatever it is you bought. A reason I don't buy the boxed versions of the Combat Mission games. With this in mind I don't see why it has to be physical only..we have PDF readers etc etc why do we need a printed manual?

quote:

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 15
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 8:45:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Not talking about the price of the actual game..but the possibility of a big customs fee. £30 they wanted for Command Ops and a fair whack of that goes to Royal mail for the privilege of whatever they did to justify it. For instance I bought a bag for Freja..it cost me £15...Customs got it and I had to pay another £10!! £8 of that to Royal Mail for god knows what! It really can be a huge added cost. If you don't pay you don't get whatever it is you bought. A reason I don't buy the boxed versions of the Combat Mission games. With this in mind I don't see why it has to be physical only..we have PDF readers etc etc why do we need a printed manual?

quote:

warspite1

Not looking for an argument wodin, but if Matrix insist on a physical only and you say that will add cost on top - then to me that is the "price" of the game.

As to why, I am not sure - I think its because this game is not your average computer game and players WILL have to read the manuals. But as I say I am not sure for certain but I am sure Iain can answer.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/19/2013 8:46:54 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 9:37:42 PM   
Hotschi

I just read the interview over at wargamers and saw pictures of the manuals. They seem to be printed very eye-friendy (i.e. large fonts, good paper, good printing) which is very good news - usually, manuals shipped with boxed versions, are printed in too small fonts for me to be readable (that's why I stopped buying boxed and switched to digital only). Now imagine having to read all this as pdf... which isn't very user-friendly either... err, meaning, who takes the laptop into bed for reading, or to some other place were one is usually sitting around alone...

I also read the release will be without AI which means this will be a human vs.human play only thing... Something new to me as well...

But it is definitely something to ponder about getting...

wodin, customs applied to computer games? Don't know about British customs regulations, but over here in this little landlocked country, I never had to pay any custom duties for the few boxed games I purchased from matrixgames. I wonder why...

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 17
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 9:45:12 PM   
wodin

Hotshi yes even applied to computer games..

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 18
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 10:08:21 PM   
Hotschi

Okay. Looks like customs is understaffed here (and overpaid... )

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 19
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 10:26:32 PM   
rhondabrwn

Maybe this will be the time for Matrix/Slitherine to introduce "installment buying" options!

Hmm... this is a joke that might have some real value in it...

What do you think Ian?

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 20
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 10:55:35 PM   
SLAAKMAN

If WiF was priced at a billion Pounds, it would still be underpriced!!

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 21
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/19/2013 11:18:42 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Yeah - unbelievable

Its a great game and I would encourage you to visit the forum and have a nosey around if you think a strategic level WWII game might be your bag.

Just wait till it's released.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 22
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 3:23:30 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

If WiF was priced at a billion Pounds, it would still be underpriced!!

Slaak, the game has been in the works for years now. Are you going to play it? I think Matrix/Slitherine are a great combo. But we're getting poorer and poorer. They're trying their best to get the game working I know, but I can't buy games to sit on my shelf. I support Matrix/Slitherine. But people are starting to talk about pricing. I used to always say that high prices are justified if the game is difficult to make but I'm beginning to wonder? :(

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 23
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 3:35:06 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Ive completed 6 campaigns in the boardgame as Italy & won them all. Muhahahahahaha!!

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 24
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 3:42:09 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

How do you know its over-priced?

I didn't claim it was. I said that previous games had been over-priced, with the implication not a lot of cash is left for this puppy. Over-priced? Who knows. Expensive? Yup.

quote:

No, we have the usual 'I can't be arsed to actually read and comprehend the post before I decide what it says' crap.

quote:

Not talking about the price of the actual game..but the possibility of a big customs fee.

There won't be one. There's only anything payable if the VAT hasn't been accounted for (it is here) and Slitherine/Matrix ships EU orders from the EU anyway.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 1:51:23 PM   
wodin

Herston..well they must have changed..cos as I said they wanted £30 for COmmand Ops.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 26
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 2:01:44 PM   
Hotschi

At least I have backbone enough to stand by what I've written.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 27
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 3:29:12 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Herston..well they must have changed..cos as I said they wanted £30 for COmmand Ops.

No idea what happened then, mate. That rate of import duty would spark a trade war! The limit for Customs duty is £135, and between that and £630 it's a maximum of 2.5%. Below £135, you will be billed for the VAT if not accounted for, but Plimus do account for it. That should be shown on the invoice included with goods.

All that aside, I'm surprised it shipped from the US. I haven't bought any boxed copies in years, but I thought Matrix shipped from Europe even before the takeover. Couldn't you just order from Slitherine?

quote:

At least I have backbone enough to stand by what I've written.

Not an admirable trait when talking out of your backside.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 10/20/2013 3:30:44 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 28
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 4:01:05 PM   
Orm

I ordered a physical game from Matrix last Christmas and they shipped it from within the European Union so there was no customs fee for me. The cost for shipping was a bit to high for my liking but not extreme.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 29
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 7:12:27 PM   
Ranger33

I find it kind of silly that anyone would be arguing about a likely premium price when we are talking about a game that comes with textbooks and an optional map that would take up over half of the wall space in my apartment. It's like complaining about the price of a Ferrari compared to a Honda.

While the whole concept is amazing, I'm getting married in a few months, and I'm not sure turning one of the rooms in the house into a war room is advisable at this point

< Message edited by Ranger33 -- 10/20/2013 7:17:47 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI