Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Niche game or undermarketed?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Niche game or undermarketed? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/1/2013 3:04:45 AM   
turtlefang

To Plant -

I don't appreciated being called a liar. And if you had actually PLAYED Medieval Total War you would know all the factions peasants were armed with spears, bows or crossbows and only urban militia had polearms. Second, if you played, then you would also know that the knights initially had an infinite charge bonus due to a error that had to be patched. Third, you would know that peasants were getting too many valor points for wins. Which made them unbeatable after A WIN. Since you don't know those things, its apparent you didn't play much if at all. And if you didn't patch, you sure as hell didn't play multiplayer.

Nearly all of the Rome Total War Patch 1.3 that changed units impacted the phalanx units. It also impacted other spear units, but it impacted the phalanx units the most. Especially for multiplayer as it changed their cost substantially. Again, something you would know if you played much - like I did. Especially if you played over 300 ladder games. Because phalanx units become much less common as they got much more expensive.

To Kayoz -

Try all the tactics you listed in a 12kDN game against Greek Arm Hoplites in a City and see what happens. You can purchase all the missile units you want - they will bounce. Cavalry simply will DIE in the streets against a competent player. And swordsmen attacking the front of an Armored Hoplite force backed by a couple of archers will simply melt away. And you WON'T flank. No competent human will let you flank him in a city. You have at best four ways to the square. Many city maps have less. Some have literally two. And the defender will see that coming and easily redeploy to beat you and set up a position you can't flank. And swordsmen WON'T reach Hoplites. The spears outreach them. In a city, Hoplites and Pikes dominate - against humans. Its why city games simply aren't played ladder games. Or very seldom played up to 2008. I admit I haven't played in the last four or five years so things may have changed.

In fact, the only tactic that you can hope that works in that situation is to play the Seleucids, purchase Kats and hope the maces will create a hole that you can rush through. Not much of chance, but it really all you got. You can't get siege equipment in to try and break up the ranks.

And if your auto-calculating or starving out the city - gee whiz, you beat the AI. Something that my 10 year son was doing after 2 weeks. Not exactly the mark of a quality player.

So based on your comments, it doesn't sound like either one of you two played much against real people. Unlike me. And you didn't spend much time with the game, especially if you didn't patch it.

(in reply to garfield666)
Post #: 121
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/1/2013 3:28:23 AM   
Talon_XBMCX

And here I thought this was the Distant Worlds forums ...

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 122
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/1/2013 7:07:44 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: turtlefang
Try all the tactics you listed in a 12kDN game against Greek Arm Hoplites in a City and see what happens.

I have no idea what you're on about. WTF is a "12kDN game"? I Googled it, and there's diddly on what it might mean.

I can't reply to gibberish.

Regardless of what your rant might mean, none of what you stated makes any difference. Multiplayer unit imbalances and the opportunity to exploit them in the game (eg: hill, river or red line camping) are irrelevant to the DW focus of this thread. DW is not multiplayer. It's player v. AI. Only player v. AI considerations are relevant. Your argument offers nothing to advance the debate of how DW is marketed and the sub-issue of Shadows' release quality.

Furthermore, the mistakes of other games on 1.0 release does not excuse Matrix for making the same (or worse) error. Matrix should have learned from these mistakes. But it seems they have not. CA and Sega had the budget and resources to make required fixes and massage over the critical media. Matrix does not, and should be wary of making the same mistakes which will impact their sales and marketing in ways they cannot mitigate.

I don't think there's anything to be gained by debating the minutiae of other games releases. My position is:

1. Matrix needs to improve it's marketing. Improvements to "social media marketing" seem to offer the greatest return on their investment - which thus far has been near zero.
2. Matrix needs to improve its release-day quality.
3. Matrix needs to be more open in documenting game mechanics, so that the community can identify flaws/exploits for removal in future patches.

If you have a specific retort to those 3 points, please chime in.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 123
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/1/2013 9:31:20 AM   
Rabble

A lot of russian and russian speaking players will buy this game if you translate it to russian.

Until that part of them play in non legal version - and all others - dont play because of language.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 124
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/1/2013 5:13:42 PM   
Plant

turtlefang, none of the peasant units are armed with spears, bows or crossbows. Urban militia and others are all peasants and all are armour piercing. Enough about RTW multiplayer. You know nothing about RTW multiplayer. For one thing, it has no ladder.

Kayoz I beleive DN refers to denarii, the currency in RTW, which funnily enough, nobody calls it DN in multiplayer.
Nor does anybody play 12k money. Or play city games, because it is stupid as hell to decide to play a match where one side has decisively massive defensive advantages. It's like playing a game where one side has a wall complete with arrow shooting towers because it is, and the other side doesn't. Don't argue RTW multiplayer with me please. Nothing you say is true. I highly doubt that you played against people in rtw to a high level.

Anyhow, we are digressing. The point is that the Original Distant Worlds had a bad release, and Shadows not as bad a release, but still had some game breaking flaws on release. That is relevent to the marketing this game has, though language issues sound like a barrier as well.

< Message edited by Plant -- 8/1/2013 5:16:46 PM >

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 125
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/1/2013 5:59:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

I've noticed in my recent browse through the threads a decrease in civility. Please keep your posts both to us and to your fellow forum members polite and constructive. There should be no need for ad hominem attacks of any kind. I can't imagine a topic related to a science fiction computer game that can't be discussed constructively.

I'll add in that while Elliot and I have been thrown a few curve balls by life lately that made us less available on the forum, we do read and take into consideration all feedback here as much as possible. Both positive and negative. We are always trying to improve Distant Worlds and make it available and accessible to as many gamers and as many playstyles as possible.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 126
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/2/2013 2:29:48 AM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz
My position is:

1. Matrix needs to improve it's marketing. Improvements to "social media marketing" seem to offer the greatest return on their investment - which thus far has been near zero.
2. Matrix needs to improve its release-day quality.
3. Matrix needs to be more open in documenting game mechanics, so that the community can identify flaws/exploits for removal in future patches.

If you have a specific retort to those 3 points, please chime in.

I agree with this and further agree with the order in terms of priority. Indeed I would propose Item 1 is by far the most significant. I'm very prepared to be patient if I know there is good commitment to patch and the (very few) Shadows reviews around remained positive (i.e. influencing potential sales).

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 127
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/2/2013 5:40:44 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plant
Nothing you say is true. I highly doubt that you played against people in rtw to a high level.

Say what? Did I make any claims of that sort?

Personally, I didn't like RWT much. Chariots' ability to scatter formations was absurdly effective and had no basis in the historical record. That, and CA seemed to be fixated on increasing the graphics in RTW at the expense of game-play. MTW2 is still CA's finest achievement, imo.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania
Indeed I would propose Item 1 is by far the most significant.

I don't think the importance of #2 can be understated. No amount of marketing can save a game that's utterly garbage on it's release day.

One only needs to look at the release of SimCity. They had no shortage of marketing and media attention, but turned out a substandard product which got roundly slagged off in nearly every review.

If reviewers wrote up their reviews based on Shadows 1.9.0, then all the patches in the world wouldn't make the game palatable to customers. Of those few reviews of Shadows that I've seen, most have reviewed after a week or two of patching was applied, which fixed most of the "game-breaker" bugs. But I don't think it's safe to bet on the continued goodwill of reviewers in applying patches before writing their reviews.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 128
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/2/2013 10:47:01 AM   
Icemania

quote:

I don't think the importance of #2 can be understated. No amount of marketing can save a game that's utterly garbage on it's release day.

One only needs to look at the release of SimCity. They had no shortage of marketing and media attention, but turned out a substandard product which got roundly slagged off in nearly every review.

If reviewers wrote up their reviews based on Shadows 1.9.0, then all the patches in the world wouldn't make the game palatable to customers. Of those few reviews of Shadows that I've seen, most have reviewed after a week or two of patching was applied, which fixed most of the "game-breaker" bugs. But I don't think it's safe to bet on the continued goodwill of reviewers in applying patches before writing their reviews.

I expect all games to have some level of problem on initial release and normally delay purchase until "enough" is fixed. In the case of Distant Worlds Shadows, quite unusually, I purchased immediately ... in full awareness there would likely be problems. I accepted the risk because I was prepared to be patient as I knew patches would be coming fairly quickly and I really wanted to play some Prewarp Empire games. The initial release for me was very playable.

Now I understand many wanted to play Pirates and clearly the initial release had some issues in this respect. So I actually don't intend to downplay Item 2, despite my positive experience with Shadows release above. It's clearly important. Indeed SimCity was one of the examples I had in mind where reading your post.

My intent is to emphasise Item 1 only. A game needs the awareness of potential customers to start with. Yes, you need Item 2 to help ensure awareness translates strongly to sales, but you need the customer base to start with, and Distant Worlds has a very limited base. With a larger base comes a larger group prepared to Beta Test and potentially additional resources within CodeForce/Matrix. Not only could this help assure release day quality for expansions, but add more features and hopefully a bigger and better DW2.

Hopefully it's not too late for this.

And in the meantime I say show people like Darkspire respect for their voluntary efforts.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 8/2/2013 10:50:17 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 129
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/7/2013 10:26:46 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

I expect all games to have some level of problem on initial release and normally delay purchase until "enough" is fixed. In the case of Distant Worlds Shadows, quite unusually, I purchased immediately ... in full awareness there would likely be problems. I accepted the risk because I was prepared to be patient as I knew patches would be coming fairly quickly and I really wanted to play some Prewarp Empire games. The initial release for me was very playable.

The key feature of Shadows was being able to play a pirate faction. This not being playable rather makes the "game is playable" argument rather weak. It would be like World of Warcraft releasing their panda expansion - but the panda race being unplayable.

As for trusting in Matrix to fix its games, that is well and good - but a consumer reading a review of a buggy game will be hesitant to buy it.

quote:

With a larger base comes a larger group prepared to Beta Test and potentially additional resources within CodeForce/Matrix.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Matrix made anything more than a cursory effort to recruit beta testers from their player base. There were dozens of posts from people who applied but never heard back from Matrix - their applications for beta testing disappearing as fast as Anthony Weiner's penis photos don't. Matrix had the resources for a wider beta test. They simply chose not to use those resources.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 130
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/7/2013 11:14:12 PM   
Darkspire

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 131
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/8/2013 12:53:19 AM   
Icemania

quote:

quote:

The key feature of Shadows was being able to play a pirate faction. This not being playable rather makes the "game is playable" argument rather weak. It would be like World of Warcraft releasing their panda expansion - but the panda race being unplayable.

As for trusting in Matrix to fix its games, that is well and good - but a consumer reading a review of a buggy game will be hesitant to buy it.

As I said I don't intend to downplay Point 2 ... despite my personal positive experience.

quote:

quote:

With a larger base comes a larger group prepared to Beta Test and potentially additional resources within CodeForce/Matrix.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Matrix made anything more than a cursory effort to recruit beta testers from their player base. There were dozens of posts from people who applied but never heard back from Matrix - their applications for beta testing disappearing as fast as Anthony Weiner's penis photos don't. Matrix had the resources for a wider beta test. They simply chose not to use those resources.

Look even if that's valid (I wasn't involved so will leave this to others) looking backwards you seem to have missed my point entirely. If the game has 10x the sales, and extra resources are committed, we are going to be way better off in this respect and many others, even if it they don't fully utilise available resources.

I worry this thread is not focussing on the biggest hitter. I've recently read through some of the Matrix posts on marketing elsewhere on this site and clearly Distant Worlds is being marketed like every game under the Matrix umbrella ... none of which I have the slightest interest in. To me Distant Worlds has a fundamentally different and much broader audience than the majority of other Matrix products (although I'm sure the war gaming market has an overlap) ... I'm an example.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 8/8/2013 2:36:41 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 132
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/8/2013 3:34:30 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

As I said I don't intend to downplay Point 2 ... despite my personal positive experience.

Just my personal gripe... If one doesn't grind one's axe, how can it stay sharp?

quote:

I worry this thread is not focussing on the biggest hitter. I've recently read through some of the Matrix posts on marketing elsewhere on this site and clearly Distant Worlds is being marketed like every game under the Matrix umbrella ... none of which I have the slightest interest in. To me Distant Worlds has a fundamentally different and much broader audience than the majority of other Matrix products (although I'm sure the war gaming market has an overlap) ... I'm an example.

Sad, but true... I hadn't thought about it, but you're right - Matrix marketing for all their games is virtually identical. There seems to be little or no difference in the marketing methods they use to promote different games. I rather doubt that 4X sci-fi game demographics overlap greatly with historical simulation wargames - though if you looked at the marketing of games alone, you wouldn't come to this conclusion.

I'm not sure what Cookie Monster has to do with this, but I don't mean to denigrate Darkspire's contributions to beta testing. I merely wish to point out that the number and severity of bugs in 1.9.0.0 release, it should not have been signed off for release. Whether beta testers brought up the issues and it was pushed to release regardless or if they missed the defects entirely - I have no idea. Suffice to say, 1.9.0.0 shouldn't have gone gold.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 133
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 8/14/2013 7:02:53 AM   
BlackAlpha

I haven't read the entire topic, so sorry if this was mentioned before. Two things are worth keeping in mind that could explain why this game isn't more popular at this very moment:

1. The game is over 3 years old, and on top of that, the game is getting a bit dated. The game has probably reached the end of its life cycle. In other words, people in charge probably don't expect the game to make a lot of money in the near future. So on one hand, going to a new publisher such as Steam will cut into the little profits they are getting from this game, without really benefiting much from it. On the other hand, there's a risk they might lose money if the game doesn't perform well on Steam. Also, it seems to me that the game developers are chained to their current publisher forever. So if the devs go to Steam they would need to go through TWO middle men, which means they might get even less money.

2. The current publisher doesn't really seem to do anything with Steam (correct me if I'm wrong). Said publisher might be afraid of Steam for multiple reasons, or maybe they just don't see how to use Steam to make more money. Which is a shame because Steam can be turned into an opportunity for everyone involved. But good luck convincing other people how to run their business without knowing them on a personal level. ;)

< Message edited by BlackAlpha -- 8/14/2013 7:21:38 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 134
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 9/23/2013 3:22:42 PM   
pmelheck1

The Steam argument doesn't fly as Panzer Corp has been on green light a long time and is still their. Steam users have shown they don't want war games. You might want wargames on Steam but the Steam community has shown that they do not. I'm not talking games with a military setting but rather wargames - WITP:AE, WITE and it's expansions, WITW and most any other game that isn't a shooter or RTS. If Panzer Corp which is a light war game (in a good way mind you) can't make it the deeper ones don't have a chance.

On the advertising front. I've remember seeing advertising for matrix products where they should be, in publications dedicated to history ect. Some 12 year old playing shooters in his parents basement who is reading PC games mags is UNINTERESTED in war games. I have younger folks I work with (not some of them, ALL of them - I've asked) and they view games like HOI3 as a waste of pages in the magazine.

(in reply to BlackAlpha)
Post #: 135
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 9/23/2013 4:53:10 PM   
Santini

I think the thing that saddens me most is the fact that DW is the best 4x game I have ever played (admittedly I really don't care about gfx), and yet having harped and flaunted and raved about to my friends, they either buck at the price or steal it.

DW is amazing, but that initial $100 sting is just too much

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 136
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 9/27/2013 12:51:53 PM   
buncheesy

I just played a really basic strategy board game "Robo rally" with some friends last night. I found it immediately obvious strategy, fun and despite a hefty luck element I won 3 of 3 games. One friend plays "strategy PC games" as in "sword of the stars", the other 2 glaze over if they have to read more than 3 pages of rules (roborally has 5 pages). Sooo difficult to find people who like deep strategy!

.........................DW is niche...I love it!

I am starting to plug it wherever I can because it deserves maximum exposure regardless.

(in reply to Santini)
Post #: 137
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 9/30/2013 11:29:16 AM   
Santini

quote:

ORIGINAL: letmein

I just played a really basic strategy board game "Robo rally" with some friends last night. I found it immediately obvious strategy, fun and despite a hefty luck element I won 3 of 3 games. One friend plays "strategy PC games" as in "sword of the stars", the other 2 glaze over if they have to read more than 3 pages of rules (roborally has 5 pages). Sooo difficult to find people who like deep strategy!

.........................DW is niche...I love it!

I am starting to plug it wherever I can because it deserves maximum exposure regardless.

It doesn't have to be niche, at all though... with all the automation settings, I actually found it to be one of the easiest games to learn (easy to learn, hard to master)

(in reply to buncheesy)
Post #: 138
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 9/30/2013 12:57:15 PM   
buncheesy

Yeah but it's not flashy and story driven. Personally I like the graphical style (including the masses of tiny info /action tabs) and I can dream a massive space opera saga. But most people Need eye candy and/or rpg story.

Ican imagine you could design more info rich graphical overlays and intelligent prompts to some extent to allow people to get more "flash and story" without losing the nuances and variety?

(in reply to Santini)
Post #: 139
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/9/2013 3:57:43 PM   
Icemania

While I love the idea of a Mod enabling expansion, just how much interest will that generate, with a product at this point in it's life cycle?

Surely it's time to go bold on Distant Worlds 2. Prima facie the broader Strategy market is ripe for the taking. Stardrive ... meh. Endless Space ... meh. A new Imperium Galactica ... dead. Total War Rome 2 ... LOL. Everything else on the horizon ... meh.

Distant Worlds 2 can be designed to include both worlds i.e. the existing audience and the broader Strategy market.

(in reply to buncheesy)
Post #: 140
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/10/2013 5:02:25 AM   
starmonkey

quote:

Distant Worlds 2 can be designed to include both worlds i.e. the existing audience and the broader Strategy market.

Sounds good to me - and hopefully they use a game engine that supports Linux :)

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 141
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/10/2013 5:32:36 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

Hopefully they'll look at Unity before slogging away at building their own engine from scratch.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 142
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/10/2013 1:33:25 PM   
Icemania

Good point Kayoz.

At this rate, by the time they get around to Distant Worlds 2, they could have a lot more competition. Maybe I'm an optimist, but the current crop of 4X games is the weakest I can remember, so surely someone will take advantage and initiate some serious 4X projects in the next few years. Look at Star Citizen in a supposedly small and dead genre not unlike 4X. $21M in funding, massive publicity, and we hope a great game on the way.

Fortune favours the bold.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 10/10/2013 1:34:53 PM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 143
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/12/2013 3:29:42 PM   
whiran

For some reason I felt curious to see where Distant Worlds was at and how Matrix was coming along with their plans for the game so I popped on by.

Kayoz, I didn't reply because, simply put, I don't agree at a fundamental level in regards to there not being enough profit in bringing a game like Distant Worlds to Steam. For whatever reason you seem to believe that Matrix thinks that is the wrong decision and, rightfully, you believe them over some random Internet person. As such, there is no value to belabor the point. I wrote my bit and that's that. I will note that what I was writing about was profit and not revenue. I am very aware of the difference but I appreciate your enthusiasm in clarifying the difference.

I don't think Distant Worlds is at the end of its product life cycle. There is a huge untapped market of people who have never heard about this game. The game appears to be at a stage where someone who enjoys 4x type games would be able to pick it up and run with it without encountering major problems or suffering from a terrible UI. At least that is the sense I got from watching Let's Plays on the game but maybe the players were just really familiar with the game and, as such, masked any major issues.

Graphics have been proven to be of lesser concern for many gamers with games such as Terraria doing extremely well. Even new games such as Prison Architect have been doing very well for themselves. If a game's graphics have a style and charm then people are happy to play with them. Personally, I didn't think that Distant World's graphics were bad when I watched video of it. Like many gamers I'm more interested in gameplay than graphics.

What I was curious about: How are the plans for the "gold" version of Distant Worlds coming?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 144
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/13/2013 7:30:23 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: whiran
I don't agree at a fundamental level in regards to there not being enough profit in bringing a game like Distant Worlds to Steam.

You're free to write your own game and put it up for sale on Steam. Telling Matrix that they should do so is, in my opinion, inappropriate. You run your business, let them run theirs.

quote:

you believe them over some random Internet person.

Whom I believe is irrelevant. My position is simple - it's their business, it's their decision. I don't believe it's appropriate for you to tell them how to run their own business.

I don't tell you how to floss your teeth. Me criticising your flossing habits is no different from you criticizing their business decisions.

quote:

I will note that what I was writing about was profit and not revenue.

Really? So, why did each and every one of your references point to statements on revenue? If you are aware, as you claim, of the differences - then how is it that the difference fails to arise in a SINGLE one of your statements?

quote:

I don't think Distant Worlds is at the end of its product life cycle. There is a huge untapped market of people who have never heard about this game.

My interpretation of "end of life" is more influenced by the product's ability to generate revenue - in DW's case - through the sale of expansion packs. I've gotten the impression from Erik and Elliot's posts and interviews that DW has gone far beyond it's initial design. So, each expansion is stretching a code base that wasn't designed with the changes in mind. Thus - it's time for a rewrite, thus DW2 is the next logical step.

That said, I could be wrong. Only Elliot can say whether or not his code can continue to be adapted to the increasing demands of each expansion. To say nothing of the inefficiencies in his choice of libraries (eg: graphics).

quote:

The game appears to be at a stage where someone who enjoys 4x type games would be able to pick it up and run with it without encountering major problems or suffering from a terrible UI. At least that is the sense I got from watching Let's Plays on the game but maybe the players were just really familiar with the game and, as such, masked any major issues.

In a word: yes

(yes, "let's play" videos were too short and failed to encounter many of the major issues (too lengthy to mention here) - though to be fair, that's not what they were made to address)

quote:

Graphics have been proven to be of lesser concern for many gamers with games such as Terraria doing extremely well.

It's not the lack of flashy graphics that people are complaining about, or few that I've seen. It's mainly the amount of processing of the graphics that the CPU has to do which could be shifted onto the GPU, which is causing the game to slow down excessively in late-game large-galaxy games. But as stated above, that's likely going to require a re-write.

But that said, clean and more appealing graphics will be simpler to implement with a real graphics library. So it should be relatively simple to make the game far prettier with little dev or financial cost, with a re-write and re-design.

quote:

Like many gamers I'm more interested in gameplay than graphics.

Sadly, we're the minority. In the larger marketplace, pretty graphics is a selling point. Which I don't have a problem with, if it's done without a detrimental impact on gameplay.

quote:

What I was curious about: How are the plans for the "gold" version of Distant Worlds coming?

Erik has hinted that it might be on their roadmap, but nothing specific. Personally, I'd expect it when they're focussing on DW2 and have no further plans for DW.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 10/13/2013 7:34:13 AM >

(in reply to whiran)
Post #: 145
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/14/2013 12:39:42 PM   
buncheesy

quote:

Surely it's time to go bold on Distant Worlds 2. Prima facie the broader Strategy market is ripe for the taking. Stardrive ... meh. Endless Space ... meh. A new Imperium Galactica ... dead. Total War Rome 2 ... LOL. Everything else on the horizon ... meh.

OK you convinced me Am changing my opinion. And thanks for saving me from buying Stardrive or Endles Space (played a lot of GalCivII and Distant worlds is a step up from that, unlike reports of the other games you mention)

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 146
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/20/2013 5:28:28 PM   
Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: parkas3

Why do you call DW niche game? In my opinion its niche only by obscurity. For example another 4x Endless Space got over 300K sales. There is no reaction to release of Shadows on games news sites. People just don't know about it.

I know, i made a huge post about it like a year ago. Explaining how this game would sell like hotcakes if people who are fans of Galactic Civilizations, Endless Space etc actually KNEW IT EXISTED.

Pretty much it was met with "blabla do it yourself then, if you can make a good trailer" from the developer.

I love this game to death, but it's ridiculous to me how unbelievably un-ambitious the developer is, how ignorant they are of the power of marketing. You don't even need actual MONEY to do it, you just need to get the game in the hands of some popular youtubers already doing strategy games, heck maybe even some Eve Online guys since this game essentially is Eve Online - The Strategy Game.

Just need to submit it to Steam Greenlight.

But no, the developer isn't doing anything what so ever.
They are just relying on random people accidentally stumbling upon this website and finding the game.
Which is like setting up a clothing store in the middle of a country road in Siberia.

The only reason i ever found this game was because i ACCIDENTALLY saw a video on youtube about it that was like the only video of the beta version that existed on the internet, because i was intentionally trying to find another game i forgot the name of. It was a one in a million chance that i stumbled upon this game.
Otherwise i'd still not know about it! And i play games obsessively.

It definetly IS a niche game though, but so are many games that get sold like hotcakes.
Look at Paradox games like Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4. Are you telling me they are more casual than Distant Worlds? Hardly, they are pretty much on the same level. Yet for some reason people think Distant Worlds wouldnt sell because it isn't a Call of Duty sequel?
Newsflash, this is 2013, strategy games sell!
If this was published by Paradox it would undoubtedly sell as much as their other games.
I mean it'd be the only space strategy game in their library, even EU4 players would take a look at it.
I guess maybe it is the Matrix Games publisher who's at fault for being unbelievably incompetent?

Maybe they just don't want it to sell more? Maybe they don't want the success of Endless Space etc?
Maybe they just want to chill out and not have so much pressure?
I really can't figure it out.

It reminds me alot of the Dwarf Fortress dev. That game could also skyrocket in popularity (even more) if they bothered to code a proper mouse driven interface and graphics engine (nothing more advanced than what Distant World does, for example).
Yet they also don't bother.

I guess some developers aren't that ambitious, despite sitting on an absolute gem that could secure their income for many years to come.

< Message edited by Baleur -- 10/20/2013 5:36:09 PM >

(in reply to parkas3)
Post #: 147
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/20/2013 6:00:04 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

I mean it'd be the only space strategy game in their library, even EU4 players would take a look at it.

Paradox published GalCiv II

Your right about the advertising though, other than SpaceSector I have never ever seen an advert or that it exists anywhere else in the 2+ years I have been playing, I do my bit spreading the word on other forums, even posted memes with screenshots and got feedback asking what game it was and directed folks here, but really the whole advertising for DW just not exist, the point has been raised that there is a FaceBook page, that does not do anything unless you like or subscribe. DW needs some strategically placed adverts in places that catch folks eyes to bring new blood in.

Darkspire

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 148
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/20/2013 8:58:25 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur
...it's ridiculous to me how unbelievably un-ambitious the developer is, how ignorant they are of the power of marketing.

For all your business advice and supposed knowledge, I find it quite revealing that you blame the developer for what you see as the marketing failure of DW. Yet to the best of my knowledge, this is NOT the responsibility of the developer. That's the publisher's job. You're blaming Elliot/Code Force for not doing Matrix's job.

Well done. Your business knowledge and acumen is clearly shown to all. With that in mind, I shall give due attention to your other statements

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 149
RE: Niche game or undermarketed? - 10/20/2013 10:55:00 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

I heard about DW and Matrix through word of mouth from a comment made in voice comm one night. Even Space Sector is largely unknown, so advertising there is of minimal impact.
Steam or such would expose a MUCH larger audience. While I have no issue in paying for a game I like, I will admit that the single most common reason people give me to not try it when I try to spread the word is that it is too 'expensive'. Maybe a wider audience would allow for a reduced unit cost.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Niche game or undermarketed? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI