Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 8:57:26 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

While the whole concept is amazing, I'm getting married in a few months, and I'm not sure turning one of the rooms in the house into a war room is advisable at this point

Quick, now is your chance! Convert one room of the house as soon as you can, even before release of the game - once you've said "yes" to your bride, it's over, no chance at all

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 31
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 9:01:11 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

While the whole concept is amazing, I'm getting married in a few months, and I'm not sure turning one of the rooms in the house into a war room is advisable at this point

You better do it now while you have the chance so you can always revert to 'you married me knowing full well....'

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 32
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 9:12:38 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

quote:

You better do it now while you have the chance so you can always revert to 'you married me knowing full well....'

Does that really work?

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 33
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 9:15:26 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

quote:

Does that really work?

No. But he doesn't need to know that yet.

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 34
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 9:57:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does that really work?
warspite1

Does it $%^&&

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 35
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 10:06:49 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

quote:

Quick, now is your chance! Convert one room of the house as soon as you can, even before release of the game - once you've said "yes" to your bride, it's over, no chance at all

lol I didn't even notice that you posted this right before I did. Great..er...um.. minds work alike.

I suggest;

a) tell her so in her sleep.
b) Saying it was always that way and you're hurt she didn't notice
c) explaining that an old gf didn't understand and that is why she never measured up
d) playing dumb i.e. What enormous map? Oh that.
e) a good lock
f) saying it came with the house and to remove it would compromise structural integrity.
g) a prenup

No charge.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 10/21/2013 2:13:45 AM >

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 36
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 11:49:18 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does that really work?

No. But he doesn't need to know that yet.

Man, is he ever in for a shock.......

Post #: 37
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/20/2013 11:59:24 PM   
Ranger33

Gentlemen, I appreciate the input of my General Staff, but I feel that the resources simply aren't available for an operation of this magnitude. We will have to bide our time for now and focus on more realistic objectives.

Post #: 38
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/21/2013 12:28:59 AM   
Aurelian

How about the basement or garage, if any?

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 39
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/21/2013 1:19:01 AM   
Twotribes

I paid 250 dollars for War in Europe board game, bought 3 giant tables and put it up in the garage. Before we moved my wife threw away the game and I did not find out till it was time to move.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 40
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/21/2013 1:29:18 AM   
danlongman

How did you make what happened next look like an accident?
My exe's last words were "What are you doing with a hammer in bed?"

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 41
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/21/2013 2:24:28 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

I remember back in the 90's I was playing and collecting ASL modules. Have them all BTW, many doubles in shrinkwrap. But I was up in St.Louis at the time and at a hobby store that I frequented while there looking for some new things and a guy had a WiF addon. Not sure what it was. I asked him, 'what game is that' and he replied 'Wallet in Flames' and both he and the shopkeeper chuckled before he paid. I got to looking at the various sets briefly and decided then that one system was probably in my budget and I stuck with ASL.

My point? None, other than MWiF will come with almost every expansion released at a fraction of the cost. So while the price may seem high compared to other games out there, (just a guess because I don't know what it will be)look at what you are getting.

So that's the line I'm going to use when it's my time to purchase.

And Twotribes; smart lady. The ole dump and move.

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 42
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/22/2013 1:49:15 PM   
Neilster

I built my avatar by modifying a small version of that map by adding the Arctic and Antarctic, wrapping it around a sphere and then building a GIF animation from 71 images of that 3D object rotated 5 degrees at a time. I plan to make a much bigger version (say 1000 pixels high) that rotates 1 degree at a time, but generating 359 images is a lot of work. It will look cool though

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Neilster -- 10/22/2013 1:52:55 PM >

Post #: 43
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/23/2013 9:03:48 PM   
Hotschi

It's impressive enough already, nice work!

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 44
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 1:34:20 AM   
Vyshka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I paid 250 dollars for War in Europe board game, bought 3 giant tables and put it up in the garage. Before we moved my wife threw away the game and I did not find out till it was time to move.

How did the divorce proceedings go?

"When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches" - Adm. King

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 45
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 1:37:31 AM   
Twotribes

I just told her how much it cost and she never touches my stuff any more.

(in reply to Vyshka)
Post #: 46
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 2:39:14 AM   
Rosseau

Price has nothing to do with this one. But it would be a cool game just to own it. I need an AI, though. And a bank loan.

< Message edited by rosseau -- 10/24/2013 2:49:57 AM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 47
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 4:42:22 AM   
Numdydar

If you are getting a loan, then you might as well get enough to pay the additional cost to get the AI version when it comes out

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 48
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 1:24:31 PM   
IainMcNeil

Hi guys

the early access version is on sale at Essen for the next 4 days!

To give you an idea of pricing we are selling the PC Game, 3 Hardback books and the 21 x 9 foot map in a package for just €150 at Essen.

This is discounted on the final price but indicative of it. If you think about the cost of a new hard backed game book - usually ~$40 each plus the cost of a printed map at that size - At least $100 and probably up to $400, the value for money on the physical part of the game is unbelievable. The physical items alone could have been valued at $200-$400.

Then add in that you are getting the PC game too and I think you'll agree this is an amazing amount of value for money!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 49
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 1:38:19 PM   
Darkspire

Discounted at €150? If that was the final price it would be about right. Very expensive though when it goes to full price, as in pounds rounds out at about 128.0. For comparison a DnD book of the same size, I can not speak of the quality of the WIF books as I have never seen them but the DnD books are about 30.0+ a book and of very good quality and quite a few come with fold out maps, obviously not as big as the monster here though, my last full set cost me just over 90+, so just a rough sum, 3 books come out at 90, game for 30 and the map for 8.
What is the final price going to be?

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 10/24/2013 1:41:59 PM >

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 50
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 2:15:50 PM   
IainMcNeil

Exactly - the printed material alone would cost 150 Euros. Does your D&D game come with the PC game too? :)

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 51
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 2:31:03 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Exactly - the printed material alone would cost 150 Euros. Does your D&D game come with the PC game too? :)

I can understand what you are saying, the map is very expensive and that the rest are a bonus with the price being asked. My price breakdown was from a consumers viewpoint, I was using the DnD books as an example, 3 of those cost about 90, You have 3 WIF books which are roughly the same size so that would be a 90 out of the 128 leaving 38 pounds, which could be split as 20 / 30 for the PC game (an average price range) and 8 / 18 for the map. I would rather just have a 500+ page PDF and print it out with the costs fronted by myself, should I wish to use the map (If I bought a bigger house!)

Darkspire

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 52
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 2:49:07 PM   
IainMcNeil

Have you looked at the price of a 21 x 9 foot map. If you can get one for less than £100 I'd be impressed. The ones I saw were much smaller and up to $300. I think you are misunderstanding the scale of things here. To be fair I don't think there has ever been a map this big before so its easily done :)

The map weighs over 3kg - that's how much paper is in it. The same as the 3 hard backed books!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 53
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 3:12:54 PM   
IainMcNeil

It seems it wasn't clear how big a part of this package the map is - just to clarify the map is around half of the cost here. If you don't want the map yo'll be looking at around half this price.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 54
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 3:15:14 PM   
wodin

150 Euros is $200?

Sounds reasonable with the map and all...just wondering do you have to buy a copy of the game with the map when it becomes available?

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 55
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 3:23:31 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I built my avatar by modifying a small version of that map by adding the Arctic and Antarctic, wrapping it around a sphere and then building a GIF animation from 71 images of that 3D object rotated 5 degrees at a time. I plan to make a much bigger version (say 1000 pixels high) that rotates 1 degree at a time, but generating 359 images is a lot of work. It will look cool though

Cheers, Neilster

Would be really cool if a globe like this could be done for a game. Is that what this is for or is this just a pet project of yours?

[EDIT: I mean done for a computer game like World in Flames or War in the Pacific to be specific, although a "board game" using a globe would be kind of unique and interesting too I think.]

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 10/24/2013 3:37:46 PM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 56
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 3:33:32 PM   
Twotribes

since the game does not come out till the 7th I would appreciate a price check on the US side. I get paid on the 1st and need to save for it on the 7th.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 57
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 3:40:05 PM   
Neilster

This is just a pet project. I argued for a spheroidal global map ages ago but Steve said no. He inherited a lot of code from the earlier developer for the 2D map and unless you understand 3D graphics this sort of thing is pretty daunting. Actually, they're not that complicated and a fairly rudimentary 3D graphics engine could be used for this stuff.

I just made this to demonstrate what it would look like. You still need hexes because World in Flames is based on the hex but with 70,000 hexes it would simulate a sphere pretty closely.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 58
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 3:40:53 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

150 Euros is $200?

Sounds reasonable with the map and all...just wondering do you have to buy a copy of the game with the map when it becomes available?

No

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 59
RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books - 10/24/2013 3:41:48 PM   
wodin

I think from what Iain said in the WIF forum that the game without map will be around $125...

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Unbelievable World in Flames Map & Books Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI