Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AH D-Day

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: AH D-Day Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AH D-Day - 10/28/2013 5:11:24 PM   
sweeteye

I wish I could....Hopefully as the kitten gets older he will settle down some...I love animals and I have always had a soft spot for cats especially....He knows he is not to be on the table but goes up there anyways...Typical of a cat.....

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 10/28/2013 5:12:01 PM >

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 31
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 12:07:29 AM   
barkman44

I have fond memories of playing AH's Afrika Korps with my late younger brother.With the british setting up defensive lines and the germans attempting to swing around their southern flank with their powerfull pz divisions.Also had a solitare game with the name Guderian in it,been a long time.It was truly solitare in that you played from the german side and setup all the Russian units upside down.As soon as a german unit entered a Russian zoc you'd flip the units over,never knew what they'd be,a 1-1 inf or a 8-8 armored div.Could really hurt sometimes!

Post #: 32
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 12:37:30 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkorn45

I have fond memories of playing AH's Afrika Korps with my late younger brother.With the british setting up defensive lines and the germans attempting to swing around their southern flank with their powerfull pz divisions.Also had a solitare game with the name Guderian in it,been a long time.It was truly solitare in that you played from the german side and setup all the Russian units upside down.As soon as a german unit entered a Russian zoc you'd flip the units over,never knew what they'd be,a 1-1 inf or a 8-8 armored div.Could really hurt sometimes!

PanzerGruppe Guderian, which was playable by 2 players. See http://www.costik.com/spicom/

The thing about Afrika Korps was that it usually came down to a 2-1 attack on Tobruk.

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 33
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 12:46:45 AM   
sweeteye

Seems like the topic of the older board wargames brings back memories for a lot of folks.I know it does for me also....I came on late to the computer and internet scene...For many years I scoffed at the thought of buying a PC and hooking into the net....Finally bowed down to the computer world about ten years ago...I have always been into wargames,long before computers were available to the general public,and checking out computer wargames was a logical step.After ten years I am finding that most of the games I have bought sit uninstalled and unplayed.I do appreciate computer wargames and the magic that can be done with a computer but I just cannot get used to them....I am still really stuck back in the old days.

Headquarters Company

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 34
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 3:04:48 AM   
GJK

I can't seem to find the pictures that I took of it, but I made a table that the table top can come off of (in 3 sections) and in which there's a 3" recessed area to put my boardgames. I simply cover it with the table top when I'm not playing in order to keep my cat from conducting a blitzkrieg on the game. The table was easy enough to make. If I can find the pictures, I'll post one or two.

Edit: Well that wasn't difficult, see my first post in this thread at Grogheads if interested: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6028.0

< Message edited by GJK -- 10/29/2013 3:07:25 AM >

Post #: 35
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 3:23:38 AM   
sweeteye

Cool idea GJK....I have been thinking about how I can protect my games from my cat.You have solved the problem for me.....When I can I will try and make a table as you have. For the time being I do have a large wide board that can be laid over top of the game,just raised off the main table an inch or two.....my panzer kitten can be held at bay...

Headquarters Company

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 36
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 12:31:36 PM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: sweeteye

Seems like the topic of the older board wargames brings back memories for a lot of folks.I know it does for me also....I came on late to the computer and internet scene...For many years I scoffed at the thought of buying a PC and hooking into the net....Finally bowed down to the computer world about ten years ago...I have always been into wargames,long before computers were available to the general public,and checking out computer wargames was a logical step.After ten years I am finding that most of the games I have bought sit uninstalled and unplayed.I do appreciate computer wargames and the magic that can be done with a computer but I just cannot get used to them....I am still really stuck back in the old days.

Do you only play the classics or have you seen all of the current releases from companies like MMP, GMT, Worthington and others have produced? Board wargaming came within an inch of it's life when PC's hit and everything was being made for it. Then, and this is my personal belief, Cyberboard & VASSAL (and others) came along and gave a way for the old games to be played on the PC. That started an interest back in to the boardgaming world and now people have rediscovered that the PC can't capture what a boardgame does; physical interaction with the components and mental interaction across the table with an opponent. Check out www.boardgamegeek.com some time if you haven't already. Board wargames cover areas that PC games haven't even touched yet in a lot of places.

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 37
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 1:27:08 PM   
sweeteye

Good Morning....trying to type and my cat is on his morning apartment rampage...Also trying to get some coffee down the hatch.......Anyways....Mostly I have played Avalon Hill over the years....Used to have a number of them but have lost track of them gradually.I have played a couple of other games with an old friend of mine years ago but I do not remember what company produced them.AH has always been a mainstay....I did pick up a game called Summer Storm by Clash of Arms Games maybe seven or eight years ago...It is a Gettysburg game...The map is very odd for Gettysburg...It has the town but does not cover the entire battlefield even though it has the complete armies.Very narrow and long map and it is just a sheet of paper with no backing..Never did bother playing it as I have been so turned off by the map..Gradually I am going to build up my collection again and am going to try to add in some titles from different game companies...Physical interaction is what I like about table top games...I like to be able to touch and move the pieces with my hand....So many times I have wanted to put my hand through the computer screen in a vain attempt to touch the map and pieces..Also my eyes cannot take looking at a screen for very long..

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 10/29/2013 1:39:15 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 38
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 1:55:03 PM   
GJK

I have my cat *mostly* trained now to stay off the tables. :)

The AH classics were/are great and nostalgic (I too started with them in 1978 or so) but there are oh so much better out there now. I don't want to knock any company and I feel a bit odd discussing other companies on this companies forum so I could suggest a "neutral" website (www.grogheads.com is my personal choice) but check out www.gmtgames.com and www.multimanpublishing.com. Probably the two top-tier board wargaming companies around these days.

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 39
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 2:05:33 PM   
sweeteye

I know what you mean about discussing other companies here....I probably should not knock other companies when I know first hand what a task it is to create a game..I do feel a little out of sorts here discussing board games since this site is mainly for computer games...I have always liked this forum though as folks are very responsive...I am thinking about setting up some kind of a website for myself since I have a board game developing and need someplace to display it...

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 10/29/2013 2:32:44 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 40
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 3:13:56 PM   
GJK

Grogheads.com has a board wargaming section and many of the folks that visit here are also members there.

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 41
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 3:21:20 PM   
sweeteye

Thanks for the tip.....I will check out Grogheads...........I actually do have a website I setup some years back for my gaming hobbies...I lost track of my password and am having difficulty getting the people to let me set a new one.....It was one of those freebie websites but it worked well for a starting place.....

Headquarters Company

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 42
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 5:52:04 PM   
28ID

I just passed my 35th anniversary as a wargamer. Longer than that, if you count my many failed attempts at designing and constructing my own games. (I even used a Lite Brite machine for a time.) On Columbus day of '78 I bought Tactics II for five dollars at a mall toy store. I was instantly hooked. By the mid 90s I had most of the AH titles along with an untold number of SPI, GDW, and Victory Games products. I think ASL was my last board game purchase. By '92 I was "converted" to PC wargames and the board games spent more time on the shelf.

I never found a good way of solving the cat problem. I remember in the early 80s having had the Europa module of the invasion of France set up, with all of its hundreds (maybe thousands?) of counters in the right hexes. I went out for a few hours and came home to cat-produced piles of counters all over the table and the floor.

D-Day was a favorite, as was Fortress Europa, later. They look terribly primitive today, but they did play well and my imagination filled in the gaps as far as the "graphics" went.

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 43
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 5:56:20 PM   
Toby42

Just curious, what does 28ID stand for? If you don't mind me asking!

Tony

(in reply to 28ID)
Post #: 44
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 5:57:36 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Probably the Keystone

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 45
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 6:02:39 PM   
Toby42

That's what I was thinking. My Dad was in the 28th ID during WWII.

Tony

Post #: 46
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 6:07:00 PM   
sweeteye

I guess there are still many old time gamers around...I suppose we are not yet really old though we are working on it.I still am into using my imagination for graphics, even at 50 years old.If I really want extra graphics I get out my 1/32nd scale miniatures and have a huge battle. I will never grow up I suppose.

Headquarters Company

Post #: 47
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 6:11:54 PM   
Toby42

Well, I'm 71 and still gaming. If there was anyone left, I would still be pushing counters around a paper map and using tweezers to work over the stacks of counters!

Tony

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 48
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 6:14:04 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

The thing about Afrika Korps was that it usually came down to a 2-1 attack on Tobruk.

Not if you were patient and methodical. In my experience, it usually came down to a 3-to-1 attack on Tobruk. It was only 2-to-1 if I was impatient to get on with it.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 49
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 6:21:20 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

quote:

Not if you were patient and methodical. In my experience, it usually came down to a 3-to-1 attack on Tobruk. It was only 2-to-1 if I was impatient to get on with it.
warspite1

Just like Rommel you mean?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 50
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 6:31:38 PM   
sweeteye

Fantastic Treale.!! hope I am still gaming at 71....wish I was closer to you and could play a hex and counter game...tweezers and all.....

Headquarters Company

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 51
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 6:43:55 PM   
Toby42

I'm from Ohio. Been here in Florida since 1997. In the Day, we had 8 of us gamers that would get together and play all day!

Tony

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 52
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 7:16:48 PM   
sweeteye

Nice....a fellow Buckeye......I am from Salem....just south of Youngstown....I do not mind giving out my location.....I know lots of people will not.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 10/29/2013 7:29:12 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 53
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 8:03:23 PM   
Toby42

Mansfield here. I'm not familiar with Salem. I know of West Salem, but that is North of Ashland!

Tony

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 54
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 11:12:17 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

quote:

warspite1

Just like Rommel you mean?

I could never get 3-1 odds on Tobruk, even using both the 15th and 21st Panzer divisions.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 55
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 11:27:02 PM   
aaatoysandmore

brings back fond memories of my first computer game on tape even; Knights of the Desert by SSI. Fortunately it came with both a cassette tape and a 5-1/4 disk which I later used when I got a drive for my commodore 64. Man those were the days cause Ultima II came out not long after that. I used to play the dog out of Knights of the Desert thoughl. Being my first game I was constantly loading it. Then came Tigers in the Snow (a battle of the bulge game) by SSI once again and I played that one for a long time. Then I forget what came after that but I do remember getting some game about the D-Day invasion Battle for Normandy maybe...another game by SSI. Man those were the days. Real games with real ai's. Always had a tough time with all 3 of them. I miss SSI and Dave Landrey games. (sniff)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 56
RE: AH D-Day - 10/29/2013 11:55:46 PM   
sweeteye

I kind of wish I would have got interested in the computer a little sooner than I did as I missed out some of the earliest computer wargames....I do have some of the early games by Sid Miers (not spelled right) Gettysburg, Antietam,Waterloo-Napoleons Last Battle....The graphics are kind of funny to look at when compared to what is out there today but they are kind of neat to play.I may just try installing my Sid Miers games again..I was also just looking at Afrika Corps ....I have the Vassal module for it and would like to play it as I never have.I am finding the Vassal module hard on the eyes though.The sandy yellow terrain makes the hexes hard to see and kind of blinds me...I am about half blind as it is...

Headquarters Company

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 57
RE: AH D-Day - 10/30/2013 1:02:45 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

brings back fond memories of my first computer game on tape even; Knights of the Desert by SSI. Fortunately it came with both a cassette tape and a 5-1/4 disk which I later used when I got a drive for my commodore 64. Man those were the days cause Ultima II came out not long after that. I used to play the dog out of Knights of the Desert thoughl. Being my first game I was constantly loading it. Then came Tigers in the Snow (a battle of the bulge game) by SSI once again and I played that one for a long time. Then I forget what came after that but I do remember getting some game about the D-Day invasion Battle for Normandy maybe...another game by SSI. Man those were the days. Real games with real ai's. Always had a tough time with all 3 of them. I miss SSI and Dave Landrey games. (sniff)

Knights of the Desert was my first computer game as well - partly because it was the only computer wargame the computer store had. and I also had the Tigers in the Snow ( I still remember the cover art on the box).

Rick

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 58
RE: AH D-Day - 10/30/2013 1:03:58 AM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: sweeteye

I was going to suggest the vassal module also but since there is no AI thought they might not be interested in it.I may have to resort to using the Vassal module myself again for two reasons...I do not have a human opponent to get a game going with at my apartment so vassal multiplayer is looking like a good alternative...Also,I woke up to find that my kitten decided to jump up on the table and lay down right in the middle of the board..Going to try and get the counters back into their positions but it will be difficult to put them back where they were originally were....Darn Cat At least Vassal is kitten proof...

I used to put my game maps up on the rail around the stair well. I had an attic room as a youth which Dad had finished. After a good many months slogging solitaire through a grand campaign of Victory Games Civil War (oh that was a great one), my cat decided (for the first time ever) to hop up and stroll along that rail. Well as soon as she stepped on that mapboard all disappeared down the stairwell in a now-funny then catastrophic whirlwind of bawling, scrabbling cat and counters. I found counters for months in odd corners.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 59
RE: AH D-Day - 10/30/2013 3:23:19 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Knights of the Desert was my first computer game as well - partly because it was the only computer wargame the computer store had. and I also had the Tigers in the Snow ( I still remember the cover art on the box).

Rick

Wasn't it neat how simple the games were yet just complex enough to be wargames like Avalon Hill made cept on a computer. Wonderful games in wonderful times. Still to me the 80's and early 90's were the golden age of computer games and developers.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: AH D-Day Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI