Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unit cooperation question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Unit cooperation question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unit cooperation question - 10/31/2013 4:59:34 AM   
Grognard

Greetz:

When the game looks at the unit tile color(s) (NOT the icons/symbols) when determining the cooperation level (whatever formation settings in the editor are stipulated here), does it look at the relative placement of the counter(s) in the tile set array ? i.e. the columns the tiles are in ? Or does it actually do a RGB check ?

I would like the option of using more than 5 icon/symbol colors (the column length) with the same background and the only way to do this is create a tile set with two columns having the same tile color - for a grand total of ten possible icon/symbol colors.

Possible?

Thanks in advance

Find 'em, Fix 'em, & Kill 'em
Post #: 1
RE: Unit cooperation question - 10/31/2013 5:34:07 AM   
sPzAbt653

The check is made by column, not by color. I would guess that they used the color explanation in the manual for a perceived ease of explanation. As most of the columns have different main colors, this generally works.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 2
RE: Unit cooperation question - 10/31/2013 6:10:26 AM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

What do you mean by columns? What you see when you look at all the units in one hex?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Unit cooperation question - 10/31/2013 7:30:24 AM   
sPzAbt653

Tom, 'columns' is editor speak, sorry about that. In the editor, you can view all the unit colors, arranged in 22 columns. Each of the columns consists of 5 instances of the same backround color, each with a different inner (or icon) color.

(in reply to PRUSSIAN TOM)
Post #: 4
RE: Unit cooperation question - 10/31/2013 8:09:47 PM   
Martin_Goliath

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Tom, 'columns' is editor speak, sorry about that. In the editor, you can view all the unit colors, arranged in 22 columns. Each of the columns consists of 5 instances of the same backround color, each with a different inner (or icon) color.

Since I already had the pic on the hard drive, I thought I'd better upload it:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Unit cooperation question - 10/31/2013 10:24:18 PM   
Grognard

quote:

The check is made by column, not by color. I would guess that they used the color explanation in the manual for a perceived ease of explanation. As most of the columns have different main colors, this generally works.

Thanks for the 411 - so, sadly, I'll have to repeat a few icon colors. BTW some tile sets out there have columns/colors that are remarkably close. I think I'm using Telumars' and the feldgrau in two of the columns are really hard to tell apart (which is what prompted my post)......

Thanks for the pic MarGol - look at columns 3 and 15......

Thanks again, out

< Message edited by Grognard -- 10/31/2013 10:28:32 PM >

(in reply to Martin_Goliath)
Post #: 6
RE: Unit cooperation question - 10/31/2013 11:11:26 PM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

Thanks for the heads-up. I will plug them in for the new version. Still fighting Marshall von Elmer. Looks like an all nighter.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 7
RE: Unit cooperation question - 10/31/2013 11:49:43 PM   
sPzAbt653

The FiTE2 Unit Colors. This has nothing to do with unit cooperation, it is a way to have unique colors for the multitude of Soviet formations. So you see the colors can be changed to whatever you want. Note that there is also a 'Numbers' file that could have a negative effect on any changes you make. I also recommend to change the 'StandardButtons256' file, which is for the in-game display. Without doing that, it gets a little confusing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PRUSSIAN TOM)
Post #: 8
RE: Unit cooperation question - 11/1/2013 3:22:01 AM   
Grognard

quote:

The FiTE2 Unit Colors. This has nothing to do with unit cooperation, it is a way to have unique colors for the multitude of Soviet formations.

A chromatically fun luxury you can have with the Soviets - assuming everybody is on internal or free support

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Unit cooperation question - 11/1/2013 3:31:50 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognard

quote:

The FiTE2 Unit Colors. This has nothing to do with unit cooperation, it is a way to have unique colors for the multitude of Soviet formations.

A chromatically fun luxury you can have with the Soviets - assuming everybody is on internal or free support

Early on you don't want them on those levels. They sucked at coordinating anything. So the different columns work ok because they would be on internal support. Later on it would be a problem, say beginning summer 43. Then you would need to somehow change the cooperation levels to something a bit more flexible than internal. Biggest problem I can see is forcing divisions to remain in the same army for the whole game. Highly unrealistic/ahistorical.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 10
RE: Unit cooperation question - 11/1/2013 3:33:21 AM   
sPzAbt653

The Mad Doctor that put together the Soviet OOB has it arranged into Fronts with their Armies contained in separate columns. Something like 9 Fronts with 5 Armies, 3 with 4, and 3 with 3, I think.

(in reply to Grognard)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Unit cooperation question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI