Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 10/3/2013 8:29:57 PM   
Admiral Delabroglio

A filter to display only units of a certain kind in not available.

How about enabling the players to chose the order in which units are displayed ?
For example, allow playes to display HQs on the top of the stack, then ARM, then MECH, and so on.
Display land units on the top during land movement or combat declaration, air units during air phases, and so on.

Best regards, and congratulations to Steve for a difficult task nearly completed.

GD (long time lurker)

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 691
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 10/3/2013 9:10:09 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral Delabroglio

A filter to display only units of a certain kind in not available.

How about enabling the players to chose the order in which units are displayed ?
For example, allow playes to display HQs on the top of the stack, then ARM, then MECH, and so on.
Display land units on the top during land movement or combat declaration, air units during air phases, and so on.

Best regards, and congratulations to Steve for a difficult task nearly completed.

GD (long time lurker)

There are two sorts available for stacks: by unit type and by selectable. That isn't as detailed as you requested, but sorted by selectable addresses most of what you wanted.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Admiral Delabroglio)
Post #: 692
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 10/9/2013 9:16:32 AM   
juntoalmar

This may be a bit off topic, if so, sorry in advance, but I thought it could be interesting for some of you. Specially when there are a few people talking about how good will be to get the IA in MWiF (nudge nudge wink wink ).

This Monday, starts the free online course of Game Theory from Stanford Online. You can find it here:

http://online.stanford.edu/course/game-theory-fall-2013?utm_source=email-broadcast&utm_medium=email-click&utm_campaign=october-mailer

COURSE SYLLABUS

Popularized by movies such as "A Beautiful Mind", game theory is the mathematical modeling of strategic interaction among rational (and irrational) agents. Beyond what we call 'games' in common language, such as chess, poker, soccer, etc., it includes the modeling of conflict among nations, political campaigns, competition among firms, and trading behavior in markets such as the NYSE. How could you begin to model eBay, Google keyword auctions, and peer to peer file-sharing networks, without accounting for the incentives of the people using them? The course will provide the basics: representing games and strategies, the extensive form (which computer scientists call game trees), Bayesian games (modeling things like auctions), repeated and stochastic games, and more. We'll include a variety of examples including classic games and real-world applications.

Week 1. Introduction: Introduction, overview, uses of game theory, some applications and examples, and formal definitions of: the normal form, payoffs, strategies, pure strategy Nash equilibrium, dominated strategies.

Week 2. Mixed-strategy Nash equilibria: Definitions, examples, real-world evidence.

Week 3. Alternate solution concepts: iterative removal of strictly dominated strategies, minimax strategies and the minimax theorem for zero-sum game, correlated equilibria.

Week 4. Extensive-form games: Perfect information games: trees, players assigned to nodes, payoffs, backward Induction, subgame perfect equilibrium, introduction to imperfect-information games, mixed versus behavioral strategies.

Week 5. Repeated games: Repeated prisoners dilemma, finite and infinite repeated games, limited-average versus future-discounted reward, folk theorems, stochastic games and learning.

Week 6. Coalitional games: Transferable utility cooperative games, Shapley value, Core, applications.

Week 7. Bayesian games: General definitions, ex ante/interim Bayesian Nash equilibrium.

I hope is useful for some of you!

Post #: 693
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 10/18/2013 6:13:14 PM   
JonBrave

quote:

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

This may be a bit off topic, if so, sorry in advance, but I thought it could be interesting for some of you. Specially when there are a few people talking about how good will be to get the IA in MWiF (nudge nudge wink wink ).

This Monday, starts the free online course of Game Theory from Stanford Online. You can find it here:

http://online.stanford.edu/course/game-theory-fall-2013?utm_source=email-broadcast&utm_medium=email-click&utm_campaign=october-mailer

@juntoalmar
I looked at this, and it seems quite interesting to me!

How exactly does the "free" work? And given that it has started, would I be too late, and/or does this course get run again?

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 694
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 10/19/2013 10:54:26 AM   
juntoalmar

Free as "free beer" for sure. Free as "free speech" you should check the copyright status of the material, I don't know. I think you can access all the materials even if the course has started, but if you have missed some of the exercises you may not get certified after complete the course (that's how it worked with a course that I had in the past). But it really depends on the course, so you'll have to check the details in the web.

These course are available periodically, so if you miss it now, you'll probably be able to take it in 4 or 6 months.

(in reply to JonBrave)
Post #: 695
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/1/2013 3:23:31 PM   
ByronBond

You know what would REALLY be cool that could only be done with a computer - a spherical global map. The Mercator projections used for current maps create huge distortion in high latitudes (like Norway and Finland, or southern Australia), and when overlaid with fixed hex sizes, has the effect of making units move much slower and cover far less ground with a ZOC in high latitudes than they would on a constant scale map. How about an optional spherical map, that appears flat when zoomed in for unit movement and combat, but retains constant ground scale per hex everywhere?

Post #: 696
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/2/2013 4:20:46 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: NavyGamer

You know what would REALLY be cool that could only be done with a computer - a spherical global map. The Mercator projections used for current maps create huge distortion in high latitudes (like Norway and Finland, or southern Australia), and when overlaid with fixed hex sizes, has the effect of making units move much slower and cover far less ground with a ZOC in high latitudes than they would on a constant scale map. How about an optional spherical map, that appears flat when zoomed in for unit movement and combat, but retains constant ground scale per hex everywhere?

What?

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to ByronBond)
Post #: 697
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/4/2013 4:04:42 PM   
arehb

Being able to play with the classic counter set on the standard WIFFE maps is what I wish for.

For me it's great that artillery and divisions are optional, I would prefer also to play without PiF and SiF.

< Message edited by arehb -- 11/4/2013 5:06:36 PM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 698
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/5/2013 2:08:27 AM   
autarkis1967

Heretic, Though shall be flogged in front of the entire court. Must play with every rule you can find and include 30 or so house rules. There must be a whole day dedicated to voting on the optional rules. It is a mandate to be played in this way. All other ways are wrong and the heretics will be forced to play Nationalist China or the French.

(in reply to arehb)
Post #: 699
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/10/2013 3:57:17 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sigurd Jorsalfare

LAN play and a respectable AI.

This ^ without the LAN play as I never cared about MP aspects of a game except Combat Mission (new one) and it not having TCP/IP play for turn based players. But, I can't believe this game has no AI. All games I purchase HAVE to have an AI. Without one it's just a boring boardgame remake. I never cared for those kinds of gloss overs.

The funny thing is I remember conversation even from the dev on an AI in the game and how good it was going to be. It's gone now, but I certainly remember the thread of it like it was yesterday.

(in reply to Sigurd Jorsalfare)
Post #: 700
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/10/2013 4:03:14 AM   
paulderynck

Then perhaps you'll recall like it was yesterday the threads where it was announced the game would be released first without the AI and it would be developed and added later.

Paul

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 701
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/10/2013 5:14:07 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: NavyGamer

This talk of a spherical global map is outrageous...ludicrous...preposterous

I suggested this years ago but Steve had enough to do and he had inherited a lot of map code from the previous developer. It's long story. I still love the idea and it would be and look cool, which is why I like making these models, but they are just graphical trickery and in no way represent what is actually required.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ByronBond)
Post #: 702
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/10/2013 10:23:23 AM   
Sabre21

During setup, it would be nice to have a button on the setup tray that allowed you to see where all your resources are (maybe a link to the production window), so that I have a better idea on where to place units defensively and more importantly, where to place my convoys. Another option here would be to include a recommended convoy placement for those major powers that have overseas resources added to the setup instructions for the various scenarios. Ideally I would like to see both added.

Right now I really have no clue on how many convoys I need to place where as the Commonwealth player or even as the Japanese other than what is already included in the setup instructions.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 11/10/2013 11:26:11 AM >

Post #: 703
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/10/2013 10:37:47 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

During setup, it would be nice to have a button on the setup tray that allowed you to see where all your resources are (maybe a link to the production window), so that I have a better idea on where to place units defensively and more importantly, where to place my convoys. Another option here would be to include a recommended convoy placement for those major powers that have overseas resources added to the setup instructions for the various scenarios. Ideally I would like to see both added.

Right now I really have no clue on how many convoys I need to place where as the Commonwealth player or even as the Japanese other than what is already included in the setup instructions.
warspite1

Sabre21 I am struggling with this too so until someone more sensible following up in due course, here is a list of CW resources and factories.

So for example you need 2CP in every continuous seabox from Australia to the UK if you want to use those 2 resources (the third uses the Aussie factory) - one resource to one factory. If you picked up the Sth African (2) and Rhodesian (1) res along the way, that would mean 5 CP from every sea box from South Africa to the UK.

The -15 for the UK means that you need to get 15 resources to the UK to get it to its factories to its maximum production.

Hope that helps for now.

EDIT Sorry I will try inserting the table as a picture...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/10/2013 11:44:41 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 704
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/10/2013 2:45:55 PM   
mjjcpa

The Wif Newsletter "Lines of Communication, Vol.3, Issue No. 1," had an excellent article called "Getting the Butter and Guns Home."

It discusses the "Med Route v. the Cape Route."

The Med route is much shorter, but risks exposure to the low range, but dangerous Italian Navy.

I prefer the cape route. I don't even bother with both Aussie resources at first. I try to get one, and I run it the convoy west towards S Africa. Some prefer to run the convoy east to Mexico, then rail to Canada. It only uses 1 CP in each Med Zone, and 1 in the Red Sea to keep Malta in supply and get the Cyprus resource home. The Indian resources go around Africa.

Be careful stretching your convoys to the limits. I've had turns where the Brits got only a few BPs thanks to a few good sub attacks that took out a link in the chain.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 705
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/10/2013 3:07:16 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

1 - There is a button on the setup tray for restoring Saved Setup. For most of the scenarios, for most of the major powers, that will place all your naval units on the map. You may want to rearrange where the named naval units are placed, but it will give you a reasonable starting placement for all your convoys (and HQs, and oil points). Read about saved setups for more information. Once you have your convoys where you want them (or after your first try), you can save your own setups for use in later games.

2 - There is a map in the appendices that shows where all the resources and factories are on the map by country. It also lists all the trade agreements in effect at the start of the war.

3 - The Global Map has a 'view' that lets you see all the resources and factories for a major power. It shows enemy control land masses and you can set the Convoy aspect to show where all your convoys are.

Steve

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 706
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/10/2013 4:28:50 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

1 - There is a button on the setup tray for restoring Saved Setup. For most of the scenarios, for most of the major powers, that will place all your naval units on the map. You may want to rearrange where the named naval units are placed, but it will give you a reasonable starting placement for all your convoys (and HQs, and oil points). Read about saved setups for more information. Once you have your convoys where you want them (or after your first try), you can save your own setups for use in later games.

2 - There is a map in the appendices that shows where all the resources and factories are on the map by country. It also lists all the trade agreements in effect at the start of the war.

3 - The Global Map has a 'view' that lets you see all the resources and factories for a major power. It shows enemy control land masses and you can set the Convoy aspect to show where all your convoys are.

Steve

Is that going to work when playing another player? For instance the Japanese player selects a saved setup, will that over write anything any earlier player may have set up?

I can see there may be a need for an overall scenario setup when playing multiplayer to cut down on time then all the players have to do is some minor adjustments.

Post #: 707
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/10/2013 4:49:40 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Steve

Is that going to work when playing another player? For instance the Japanese player selects a saved setup, will that over write anything any earlier player may have set up?

I can see there may be a need for an overall scenario setup when playing multiplayer to cut down on time then all the players have to do is some minor adjustments.

Saved setups are for individual major powers. Setting up one has no effect on the other major powers.

Steve

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 708
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/13/2013 6:53:28 PM   
Eradanfaroth

I don't have read the full thread of 24 pages, so please forgive me if this idea has already been submitted.

In netplay, it would be cool to have the option to load the game, not to play solitaire (encore que...) but only to review the map and the units and devising future actions and planning strategies.

I remember the days where we played the boardgame version and this was a great help to see the map during period of inactivity (between play sessions) and a pleasure too.

Post #: 709
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/13/2013 7:43:13 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eradanfaroth

I don't have read the full thread of 24 pages, so please forgive me if this idea has already been submitted.

In netplay, it would be cool to have the option to load the game, not to play solitaire (encore que...) but only to review the map and the units and devising future actions and planning strategies.

I remember the days where we played the boardgame version and this was a great help to see the map during period of inactivity (between play sessions) and a pleasure too.

Finally!

I knew that someone would eventually ask for this feature. I've given it the name Review. The idea is simple, you can load a NetPlay saved game and look things over. The Axis will not be able to see the US Entry chits, and neither side would be able to 'do' anything.

When I can get around to coding it I don't know. But it shouldn't be difficult to do. There will probably be a question when you restore the NetPlay game: "Resume Play or Review?"

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 11/13/2013 8:43:45 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Eradanfaroth)
Post #: 710
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/21/2013 7:18:28 PM   
micheljq

Well waiting for a download only/electronical version of the game (like Matrix does for all their games), less expensive perhaps? I do not want to pay for the physical goodies, don't want them personally.

I can wait I am not in a rush, budget is restricted as of now.

Michel.

< Message edited by micheljq -- 11/21/2013 8:20:36 PM >

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

Post #: 711
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/21/2013 9:40:11 PM   
Sabre21

It would be nice to be able to manually create a specific convoy route from one sea zone to the next for resources and lock it in place without the system hijacking some of the convoys when multiple routes are set up. Maybe even assigning it a name or tag so it would be easy to identify which route is hauling which resource.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 712
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/22/2013 11:07:33 AM   
JohnnyBenice

Hi folks, I just quick-read through a couple of pages and not through all of the 24 in this forum. Therefore forgive me, if I double-mention something here.

There is one thing that would dramatically increase the gameplay and that I really miss in the current version of the game (1.03). It is a mode in which you can display all units in a single hex, when you point at it with your mouse. Would that be possible in any later update?

Greets, J.B.N.

< Message edited by JohnnyBenice -- 11/22/2013 12:08:34 PM >

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 713
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/22/2013 11:51:13 AM   
Centuur

There is both the "units in hex" form and the fly out which you can use for this. For ports there is a tool too...

Simple click two times on a empty land hex and you get the fly out.
Two clicks on a sea area gives you the naval form. Point it in a sea area and a port and you've got it...

Peter

(in reply to JohnnyBenice)
Post #: 714
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/22/2013 3:33:18 PM   
Dr. Foo

Is it possible to get movement path arrows and terrain cost indicators. Something like below. You can see the path the unit will take and the cost of each hex before movement. Just a handy tool.

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 715
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/22/2013 10:25:59 PM   
Courtenay

In the production summary form, it would be nice if the amount of oil needed for reorganization did not include convoys at sea. They should not be counted in the amount of oil one needs to reorganize since, as long as they stay at sea, they don't need to be reorganized and thus don't need any oil. Only when a convoy returns to port (and flips) or if it flipped in port (port strike) does a convoy need oil, and only such convoys' oil requirements should be counted.

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 716
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/22/2013 11:22:57 PM   
wolf14455

Newer board games got rough terrain as well. Good for hilly areas with or without forest. Maybee this can be in later maps.

SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 717
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/23/2013 3:56:31 AM   
palad1n

Got the game. Why isn't option 73 (Heavy weapons) going to be included? The statement in book 1 of players manual page 6 - part of post 1945 add-ons is incorrect. Heavy weapons units appear from 1938 and onwards. USSR 1939 set up can have these units. I like playing with heavy weapons in the game. Can this omission be rethought.

Post #: 718
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/23/2013 8:36:48 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: palad1n

Got the game. Why isn't option 73 (Heavy weapons) going to be included? The statement in book 1 of players manual page 6 - part of post 1945 add-ons is incorrect. Heavy weapons units appear from 1938 and onwards. USSR 1939 set up can have these units. I like playing with heavy weapons in the game. Can this omission be rethought.
warspite1

I might be wrong but I thought heavy weapons was in AIF, PATIF and POLIF? These are NOT part of MWIF.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to palad1n)
Post #: 719
RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC... - 11/24/2013 5:34:03 AM   
palad1n

Yes most of the heavy weapons are units in AiF, PATiF & POLiF, but they are added to the force pools when their arrival year occurs. Basic rule is use PATiF HVYWEAPs where these have the same unit. I've attached a sample from PIONs WiF units spreadsheet. It's a bit small but I wanted to get as many units as possible in the image.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI