Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So who is getting it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> So who is getting it? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So who is getting it? - 11/5/2013 10:40:29 PM   
Dorb

Thought would toss it out, who all is for sure going to purchase this mother of all games if I may ask?

I was on the fence as I already have many PC games sitting around that I had to have, but not enough time to really dig into. This one here may be the grand daddy of them all, but I must say I have to have it and talked it over with my financial adviser(wife)and was able to talk her into turning her key also.(I now cannot bitch about the coming holidays being spent with her side of the family, the price we pay - lol) So with both keys turned I will launch the funds come the 7th no matter what they will be.(including the maps, I have a game room, thinking about using as wallpaper on one wall...just maybe)

Cheers.
Post #: 1
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/5/2013 11:04:07 PM   
WIF_Killzone

I am for sure, and I thought about the wall paper as well, but I will need to board up the windows and doors, hmmm, might be worth it.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 2
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/5/2013 11:38:35 PM   
Titan

Well I will be getting a copy sent here all the way to New Zealand for sure.

(in reply to WIF_Killzone)
Post #: 3
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 12:05:10 AM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

ME ME ME ME

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to Titan)
Post #: 4
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 1:13:42 AM   
aaronden

No brainer...been waiting to dive into this game for many years. Very excited.

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 5
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 1:15:58 AM   
Greyshaft

Game definitely yes
Maps definitely no ... but my admiration goes out to those with extra rooms that need wallpapering

/Greyshaft

(in reply to aaronden)
Post #: 6
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 5:39:27 AM   
Redan

I think not. At least not at first. Have 2 or 3 games to do before this one...

"You can't stack units in this game. This is Tactics II, hexes haven't been invented yet..."

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 7
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 7:31:17 AM   
juntoalmar

I have to settle first in an stable place where I can have the box & manuals delivered. I wish I could get the digital download right now and buy the manuals later...

If I don't own the board WiF, so I guess it doesn't make any sense to get the maps too. Can you buy the counters from ADG without the maps?

(in reply to Redan)
Post #: 8
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 8:12:11 AM   
reltow

There are severall counterset in the Online Shop at ADG Website - not quite sure if they cover all Counters you need/want. :-)

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 9
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 9:19:20 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: reltow

There are severall counterset in the Online Shop at ADG Website - not quite sure if they cover all Counters you need/want. :-)

Probably more cost effective to buy the entire game rather than the individual counter sheets. That way you get the printed rules and charts also.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to reltow)
Post #: 10
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 9:34:46 AM   
icitrom_y

I posted a poll asking who will buy the game and/or the maps set on BoardGameGeek.com (BGG) in the General section of the forum for WiF:

"WiF-ers, are you going to buy Matrix-WiF?" (I'm not allowed to post a link. (Because I'm new?))

I think the results are interesting. Thirty-four WiF-ers responded.

Regarding the maps, 55% selected, "Pretty damn cool. Unfortunately, I don't live in a school gym."

Regarding the Matrix-WiF, the responses were spread across the spectrum. Only 38% said they're definitely picking up the game.

Another 35% said they'd be willing to buy the game only when MWiF solidifies. My personal take on it is that, yes, MWiF is a grand huge achievement but that's the nature of this beast. So, having said that, with no AI and perhaps especially that the game cannot be played by more than two players, plus the price point, has a significant number of people balking.

My personal view is that WiF is WiF and is defined by ADG. I'm not especially interested in a new variant, called Matrix-WiF, that branches off from here and will only continue to vary from ADG's WiF. I'm guessing that Factories in Flames just missed the development boat. I'm disappointed that Days of Decision is not there, i.e. that it is not at least a definite on the way element.

America in Flames and Patton in Flames would be nice to have but I'd be OK without them if ADG's WiF itself was completely circumscribed. I seems like a fair number of us are willing to pass on an amazing computer WiF implementation if it's only 95% complete, not withstanding that the 95% is very well done.

I would add that I don't expect the world in one basket nor expect people to work for free. I'd pay separately, for example, for a Days of Decision module. But, I'd like to know that it's definitely on the way. I look at it as this new amazing Cadillac, super in every respect but it only comes with vinyl seats. Some things are just naturally a quantum, such that a lot of people will pay the $100,000 for the Cadillac but it doesn't follow that they'd also pay $95,000 for a 95% version.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 11
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 9:52:50 AM   
captskillet

waiting with debit card in hand!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to icitrom_y)
Post #: 12
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 9:55:40 AM   
Mayhemizer_slith

YES, no matter the cost.

Do I need other games after this???

If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 13
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 10:15:36 AM   
AbwehrX

Count me in.

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 14
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 10:17:07 AM   
comsolut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

Game definitely yes
Maps definitely no ... but my admiration goes out to those with extra rooms that need wallpapering

Same here.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 15
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 12:08:23 PM   
shaddock

I'm getting it, maps and all.

save the carrots; eat a vegan!

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 16
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 12:11:36 PM   
reltow

I will buy it. I am reading since the start of this Forum on monthly/bimonthly basis with a break of some years but never created an account - If you are following something that long time you have to buy it.

I am still thinking of buying the map. I played WiF on a regular Basis at the beginning of my studies for several years (about 1996 to 1999). Then I bought a WIF game 7-8 years ago on ebay hoping to play it with some friends again(never happend), so I have the counters but no space (also no space for the game maps but you never know).

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 17
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 12:19:12 PM   
PorcelainBus

Long time lurker - says YES to buying the game!

(in reply to reltow)
Post #: 18
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 12:52:18 PM   
petracelli

My buying is on hold despite being a long time wiffer until know the price and it can be played by email or more than 2 on line. Hoping to put it on my Xmas list though and that multiplayer will be patched by then.

(in reply to PorcelainBus)
Post #: 19
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 12:58:20 PM   
DSWargamer

Not only getting it, but I think I'm going to burn my other digital downloads to 3 or more discs each (just to be brutally thorough), put them in a box, and likely forget about them.

I've been looking for a genuine global grand strategy wargame that actually is a real board game, not afraid to be one and not like all the ones pretending to be one and really being something else. I will be glad to play something on hexes, with turns and not afraid to be an actual board game. Not in 3d, and not in real time and not about graphics, but about wargaming.

Never thought I would see the day WiF actually made it to my computer. I don't mind being wrong on that one :)

Sure if I ever find myself filthy rich, I can buy a big home with a custom made room specially designed to house ridiculously large board games.

But not having that home, I'm happy to play it on my computer. I can see myself slaving the laptop to the TV so I can get the combination of readable print on the laptop, and the enjoyment of a great view of the map on the TV. Sitting in my lazyboy, hot chocolate at my side, manuals on the table at my right. Now that's how to play a wargame :)

< Message edited by DSWargamer -- 11/6/2013 1:59:11 PM >

I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.

(in reply to PorcelainBus)
Post #: 20
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 1:47:55 PM   
Joseignacio

I will, after 3 years waiting, and knowing my level of WIF frikism, my CiC passed the expenditure this morning.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 11/6/2013 2:48:48 PM >

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 21
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 2:14:37 PM   
juntoalmar

quote:

ORIGINAL: DSWargamer

I will be glad to play something on hexes, with turns and not afraid to be an actual board game. Not in 3d, and not in real time and not about graphics, but about wargaming.

Aaaaamen to that! I like computer games based on wargames because you know what's going on. I mean, you can count the factors in the counters and know if it's 2:1, 3:1 or whatever. When every unit has 20 different factors (moral, supply, rest, experience, ...) at the end I can't make my strategy based on so many factors and I just don't know why an attack failed.

I love counting myself and looking in a table...

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 22
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 2:24:29 PM   
Mundy

I'll most likely get it eventually.  Need to fit it into my budget.  Shouldn't be too bad, as it's cheaper than buying a new Trapdoor.

Kudos to whoever posted the hyperlinked WIF RAW a while back, as I've been casually reading through it for some time now.

Ed-

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 23
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 3:26:01 PM   
Tjalfe

If I dont get a nasty surprise regarding the price of MWIF I will get it right away. By this time tomorrow I should hopefully be playing a solitaire game of Barbarossa to reaquaint myself with the rules.

Then on to Guadalcanal scenario for the naval rules.

In the weekend I should be good to go playing with one of you out there via netplay. Looking forward to test my skills after so long without playing the game.

Cheers

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 24
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 3:26:41 PM   
AbwehrX

I want the wall maps too. Doesnt matter if I dont have space at home.
Ill find a place to deploy them.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 25
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 3:35:05 PM   
Zorachus99

Those retired guys among us aren't made of money...

Not me, just saying.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 26
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 3:44:29 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: icitrom_y

I posted a poll asking who will buy the game and/or the maps set on BoardGameGeek.com (BGG) in the General section of the forum for WiF:

"WiF-ers, are you going to buy Matrix-WiF?" (I'm not allowed to post a link. (Because I'm new?))

I think the results are interesting. Thirty-four WiF-ers responded.

Regarding the maps, 55% selected, "Pretty damn cool. Unfortunately, I don't live in a school gym."

Regarding the Matrix-WiF, the responses were spread across the spectrum. Only 38% said they're definitely picking up the game.

Another 35% said they'd be willing to buy the game only when MWiF solidifies. My personal take on it is that, yes, MWiF is a grand huge achievement but that's the nature of this beast. So, having said that, with no AI and perhaps especially that the game cannot be played by more than two players, plus the price point, has a significant number of people balking.

My personal view is that WiF is WiF and is defined by ADG. I'm not especially interested in a new variant, called Matrix-WiF, that branches off from here and will only continue to vary from ADG's WiF. I'm guessing that Factories in Flames just missed the development boat. I'm disappointed that Days of Decision is not there, i.e. that it is not at least a definite on the way element.

America in Flames and Patton in Flames would be nice to have but I'd be OK without them if ADG's WiF itself was completely circumscribed. I seems like a fair number of us are willing to pass on an amazing computer WiF implementation if it's only 95% complete, not withstanding that the 95% is very well done.

I would add that I don't expect the world in one basket nor expect people to work for free. I'd pay separately, for example, for a Days of Decision module. But, I'd like to know that it's definitely on the way. I look at it as this new amazing Cadillac, super in every respect but it only comes with vinyl seats. Some things are just naturally a quantum, such that a lot of people will pay the $100,000 for the Cadillac but it doesn't follow that they'd also pay $95,000 for a 95% version.

If I can do the same.

I'd say Wif is a horse and buggy. A time-proven system of transportation for the ages. Does everything you need and want it to do and has even had some good innovations put on it through the years. Heck, just last year they came out with a wheel brake. Everyone knows them and everyone loves em.

Enter Henry Matrix. Ole Henry is an enterprising young man with a love of horse and buggies. Even though Mr. Matrix didn't invent the early automobile, he believes he can mass market a better way for people to travel. So Mr. Matrix devises a plan to do just that and sets out work on his drawing board. His ambitions are big and reality tells him that while he can do most things he wants, he wont be able to do them all for his first production roll out. Things are going well for Mr. Matrix, stumbling blocks and all. Even though his project is past budget and far exceeded the time to produce, his work carries on. Internally his top engineers say 'look Henry, you're going to have to scale a few things back initially. We have no doubt that we can retrofit these items in, but the investors are getting nervous and they demand that you put something out on the production line.
Mr. Matrix, being the innovator he is with a reputation for following through on things he deems important, and feeling pressure from all sides, accepts the challenges.

Fast forward a bit.

Matrix Motor Co. is ready to sell its newly made item. A horse and buggymobile if you will. He named it the MWiF. Similar to the WiF with revolutionary new features that allow you to travel farther distances in a single sitting without the hassles from before. Even though consumers wanted a back seat and more trunk room the thing chugs out of the factory with a certified voucher that entitles every customer to come back in and let Mr. Matrix add those items that are important to everyone, including himself, at a later date.

Now this upset the Horse and Buggy Association of America. They said, 'I told you this thing was a flop and would never catch on.' and 'I have no need for this thing as I am fine with the added work of shoeing my horses, finding adequate shelter and pitchin' hay. I'll continue to do so.'

Mr. Matrix says 'I hope you'll reconsider and understand that my product isn't a replacement for your love, it is an addition. To all of us involved there is just no better feeling of rounding the hilltop in the open air, man and beast with room for everyone. But I promise that if you give it a try you to will one day appreciate the modern amenities I have included here. Look right there. That is a cup holder next to a glove box to hold your possessions. and there, why that keeps you from falling out the sides. etc.etc. Besides, who actually enjoys cleaning up all that horse manure and all the room it takes to store the oats, hay, and provisions. When I go to start my MWiF, I don't have to get it up, saddle the team, get the buggy and deal with a stubborn animal that wants to fight me the whole way. I just pull my MWiF up, load up my passenger, and very soon passengers, and go for the drive we all love. Give it some time to grow on you.'

Now don't get me wrong, when all those MWiF came rollin out of the factory many little flaws were discovered by their new owners. Mostly minor of course, and hopefully none too big that the baby wouldnt run. Heck, my neighbor had paint chipping and a torn headrest. But Mr. Matrix constantly worked on improving the assembly and anyone who had a factory defect were honored to have Matrix Motor Company fix it for free, no questions asked. In time these flaws were weeded out due to a diligent customer and lovers of fine items everywhere.

As far as those items that Mr. Matrix wants to add, he has made considerable advancements and has great blueprints on the ones that aren't. Still, the promise stands. Bring in your MWiF when he gets this to where he is happy with it and he will retrofit them onto yours for free. Of course auto-pilot was more work than thought and while it won't be free to add on later, the original price was lowered to compensate for it not being there as planned. And if you don't want that retrofit, no one is forcing you to add it later. You do the driving and let those that prefer one to do so later. Both of you can still enjoy driving together. That won't change.

Now me, I'm just a factory clean-up boy. I never had an interest in a horse and buggy nor a MWiF until recently. Mr. Matrix let me drive it around the factory and I fell in love. Heck, I even ordered a horse and buggy to get the feeling that so many other great people before me had. But my fist love is that newfangled MWiF.

I have these suggestions at times too. Mr. Matrix has me write them down and stick them into a box. I assume he comes by to read them from time to time, but I hardly know. I'd assume that if they were good ideas Mr. Matrix might say so, but that isn't why I do it. I want the best MWiF money can buy and I know if I just save a little bit of my wages, I can have one too.

Mr. Matrix says we can have any color we want as long as it's black. We'll just have to see about that. I've always been partial to metallic flake candy apple red.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 27
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 5:07:07 PM   
ACMW

I'm in.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 28
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 5:13:57 PM   
jeffk3510

I will be getting it.. a couple hundre bucks is no big deal. War gaming is my hobby...so, I spend money on it.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to ACMW)
Post #: 29
RE: So who is getting it? - 11/6/2013 5:24:16 PM   
Centuur

It's on my table in front of me...

Peter

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> So who is getting it? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI