Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Three Legends Converge

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Three Legends Converge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Three Legends Converge - 11/9/2013 5:37:19 PM   
KG Erwin

As part of my USMC tribute this weekend, I'll post a link to a 1976 tribute of Chesty Puller hosted by John Wayne and directed by John Ford: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLI3cYt9FaE

As I have Chesty as my avatar, maybe you'll understand why I have it there: I also recommend reading the 2001 biography by Jon T. Hoffman. Sure, maybe Chesty is today regarded as a bit of a cariacature, but this man is still recognized by the USMC as perhaps the ultimate Marine, and his legendary status is well-deserved. It is no doubt true that men who gain legendary status are often stereotyped, and Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller is a prime example of this.

Over his career, Puller earned five Navy Crosses and a Distinguished Service Cross.

It is also true that the USMC has become a master at promoting itself. It's done a great job at doing this over the post-WWII years. Even today, it takes great pride as calling itself "The Few and the Proud".

I would add that the most famous picture of WWII is probably the second flag raising at Mt Suribachi, an image that so captivated the US public that it became the basis for the statue of the USMC war memorial outside Arlington Cemetery.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 11/9/2013 10:17:36 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Three Legends Converge - 11/9/2013 6:45:19 PM   
mrensing

Chosin, Korea, November-December 1950. Upon finding out his 1st Marine Division had been surrounded by 22 North Korean and Chinese Divisions Col. Puller replied, "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
The 1st Marine Division then proceeded to walk 80 miles to their evacuation point, crippling seven of the enemy divisions to the point of combat ineffectiveness while doing so. Upon reaching Hungnam, Col. Puller shrugged at the amazement of his peers and said, "...there are not enough chinamen in the world to stop a fully armed Marine Regiment from going where ever they want to go."

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday to Chesty and all my Devil Dogs. Most notably those still in the sandbox. Keep the faith brothers!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Three Legends Converge - 11/9/2013 6:49:43 PM   
KG Erwin

I'll leave you guys with this picture:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Three Legends Converge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI