Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help with Amphibious Landings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> Help with Amphibious Landings Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 2:54:51 PM   
steverichmond

Having difficulty with Amphib. Invasions in the Guadalcanal scenario. (using Amphib. optional rule). I have loaded Japanese Marines on transport unit, but cannot figure out how to land(debark) unit in enemy territory. (either Port Moresby or Guadalcanal or adjacent hex). Please advise. Thanks

Steve
Post #: 1
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 3:24:53 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: steverichmond

Having difficulty with Amphib. Invasions in the Guadalcanal scenario. (using Amphib. optional rule). I have loaded Japanese Marines on transport unit, but cannot figure out how to land(debark) unit in enemy territory. (either Port Moresby or Guadalcanal or adjacent hex). Please advise. Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

I am your Guadalcanal go to guy or something like that

It looks like you started a new game and if you got that far then you either read very well or you are a board game player and understand new game set ups.

I will walk you through it but I would like to know is this solo or net play? Also where are your units coming from Rabaul, Truk or Japan? On second thought I will run through my invasion in the scenes below

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 11/12/2013 4:41:53 PM >

(in reply to steverichmond)
Post #: 2
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 3:42:23 PM   
bo

Japanese set up in Rabaul, I am going to invade Guadalcanal [Japans first move] with 2 SNLF Japanese units [Special Naval Landing Forces] same qualities as US Marines. Forgot to mention I used a combine first move so I could move my naval forces and invade in the same impulse.

Bo

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bo -- 11/15/2013 7:55:51 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 3:44:04 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Steve

Check the sequence of play to see when Invasions occur - there is a separate phase for them.

Put the cursor over the hex you would like to invade (at any time). The Main form's dark blue panel will show the adjacent sea areas, and add the words "no invasion" if the hex cannot be invaded from the given sea area. If those words do not appear, then the hex can be invaded from the sea area.

If your invasion units are in a low number section box, then their attack strength is reduced, maybe to zero.

To invade, the major power has to have a land move available (activity limits) for each invading unit, and also a land combat available.

See the RAC manual page 71 for more on invasions.

EDIT: Clarifying the attack strength from low section boxes.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 11/12/2013 4:46:32 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 4
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 3:47:20 PM   
bo

Thank you Steve

In the Naval move impulse I sent my fleet and invasion units into the Coral sea into sea box 2 [I did not pick the sea box the program did] I could also have gone into sea box 1 but I prefer the highest box I can legally go in. I am showing the read out of the invasion force in the Coral sea. Two Japanese Marine units for invading, four battleships for shore bombardment, and carrier air wings for ground support if need be.

Bo

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bo -- 11/12/2013 5:49:32 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 3:52:09 PM   
bo

After you move your fleet into the Coral sea Steve [ the poster asking the question] during the naval move, I want you to proceed through the impulses past land movements railing etc until you come to debarking and you will see whatever units that can debark into friendly hexes, I am just showing you that do not debark, the next impulse will be invasion.

Several rules here 1- you cannot invade in a storm or a blizzard [no blizzards in the Coral sea ]
2- you must have enough land unit moves available to you to invade, in this depiction I have 3 land moves available to me so I can invade with the 2 Japanese SNLF units. Marine units, Japanese and US attack with their full weight [attack strength] other units attack with half of their attack factors showing that the Marines were trained for amphibious landings.

Bo

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bo -- 11/13/2013 3:56:00 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 4:04:38 PM   
bo

Steve I have now landed the 2 Japanese invasion units onto Guadalcanal, I am not going to show this at this time but the invasion will be challanged by a notational unit on the island. Notational Unit Hmmm A notational is not a military unit of the CW but maybe some natives, a small contingent of CW soldiers Cw seabees, whatever but they are there. You can avoid them or you can fight them.

The reason I invaded the Western side of Guadalcanal is because there is a port there which allows me to bring in an extra air unit to protect the hex I just conquered, Henderson field means nothing game wise its just there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bo -- 11/12/2013 5:14:36 PM >

Post #: 7
Nice Example - 11/12/2013 4:10:41 PM   
Omnius

bo,
Nice examples with screenshots that show how amphibious landings work. Thanks! I'm just getting ready to start Guadalcanal now.

Omnius

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 8
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 4:13:24 PM   
steverichmond

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I will try it out.

Steve

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 9
RE: Nice Example - 11/12/2013 4:16:20 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

bo,
Nice examples with screenshots that show how amphibious landings work. Thanks! I'm just getting ready to start Guadalcanal now.

Omnius

Thank you Omnius appreciate that, I enjoy doing this.

Bo

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 10
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 4:18:05 PM   
bo

quote:

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I will try it out.

Steve

Steve if this does not work for you we will go over it again. Remember storms and no land moves left when you are ready to invade is a nono. Please let me know how it is working for you.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 11/12/2013 5:36:16 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 7:56:30 PM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Steve

Check the sequence of play to see when Invasions occur - there is a separate phase for them.

Put the cursor over the hex you would like to invade (at any time). The Main form's dark blue panel will show the adjacent sea areas, and add the words "no invasion" if the hex cannot be invaded from the given sea area. If those words do not appear, then the hex can be invaded from the sea area.

If your invasion units are in a low number section box, then their attack strength is reduced, maybe to zero.

To invade, the major power has to have a land move available (activity limits) for each invading unit, and also a land combat available.

See the RAC manual page 71 for more on invasions.

EDIT: Clarifying the attack strength from low section boxes.

This happened to me today, I was about to report it as a bug, but then I remembered the activity limits...

Good work, bo...

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 11/12/2013 8:59:27 PM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 12
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 8:43:09 PM   
Greyshaft

Moderators... can we move this up to the AAR forum... there is no Guadalcanal AAR there with this useful information

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 13
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/12/2013 9:18:29 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

Moderators... can we move this up to the AAR forum... there is no Guadalcanal AAR there with this useful information

On page 8 my battle of the Coral sea might help if it was moved to the AAR section.

Bo

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 14
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/13/2013 11:14:56 AM   
steverichmond

Thanks Bo for your detailed response. I was able to land Japanese Marines on Guadalcanal with your help.

Steve

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 15
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 11/13/2013 3:16:05 PM   
bo

quote:

Thanks Bo for your detailed response. I was able to land Japanese Marines on Guadalcanal with your help.

Steve

See that Steve it was easy but it might be hard to keep them there if you were playing centuur.

Bo

Post #: 16
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 9/15/2015 3:13:53 PM   
Grotius

Can I ask a dumb question here? Could you choose a Naval move on the first impulse, to maximize the number of invading transports/amphibs at sea; and then choose a Land impulse on the second impulse, to maximize the number of units that can invade and fight? Or is it best practice to choose a Combined and do it all in one impulse, as Bo did here?

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 17
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 9/15/2015 4:56:51 PM   
paulderynck

Of course you can do either one. It depends on whether you need to strike quickly before the other side can react or you need to deal with the possibility the weather this impulse is good but it may be lousy in your next impulse.

Of course the best of all worlds is to have an Offensive Chit in hand so you can take a "Super Combined" and do everything in one impulse.

Paul

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 18
RE: Help with Amphibious Landings - 9/16/2015 12:04:43 AM   
Grotius

Thanks for your reply. I suppose one downside of spreading it over two turns is that your transports sit out there in the ocean longer that way, giving the enemy more time to hunt them down. Anyway, I'll experiment. Thanks again.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> Help with Amphibious Landings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI