Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vichy or not?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> Vichy or not? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vichy or not? - 11/15/2013 11:28:09 AM   
fredmans

As a beginner, haven't played the board game in 20 years, I'm rolling through my first solitaire Global War, coming to terms with the rules and interface. Due to some horrific weather and poor attack rolls, Paris fell in the end of S/O 1940 turn. When I pondered whether to declare Vichy or not, my thoughts went something like this:

a) If I declare Vichy, I free up the German army and get rid of that pesky French fleet.
b) If I don't, I can keep lying low with Italy and go for Spain/Gibraltar
c) key to this choice, I felt to be calendar time. Already being late, an Iberian campaign would see most of '41 pass, without hope of any Eastern campaign. Sealion is out of the question, and a '41 Barbarossa would be hard as well.

Just curious how other people tackle this.

Right now, I'm playing for the Balkans during '41 and build up a sizeable garrison along the eastern front.

< Message edited by fredmans -- 11/15/2013 12:29:36 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/15/2013 5:09:26 PM   
CrusssDaddy

I usually rush to Vichy because I rarely go for Spain/Gibraltar and want to get a headstart on Barb '41. Removing the French Fleet is also a large consideration.

My advice is to keep a save game at the point just prior to Vichy declaration and play it both ways.

(in reply to fredmans)
Post #: 2
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/15/2013 5:11:10 PM   
Centuur

This depends on the shape the French are in at the time of the capture of Paris. Are the Euroaxis able to conquer France fast at this point (and weather prognoses are very important here).

Generally speaking, I would say that if you can conquer France fast, don't bother with Vichy. If not: install the government to get rid of the French Fleet.

Another important thing to consider is the situation around the Med. Is French North Africa under attack by the Italians and how are things progressing there. It might be wise to postpone Vichy creation if the Italians can grab Algeria and/or Morocco next turn...

Peter

(in reply to fredmans)
Post #: 3
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/15/2013 8:03:45 PM   
Zorachus99

Remember this important point.

If you go for Gibraltar, your opponent (France) may surrender if he has lost half of his factories in his home country. Incomplete surrender is then played out establishing a new capital.

Everything but mainland France becomes Free-French, and worse still, all the Free-French units cooperate with the Brits.

It's critical you read the incomplete surrender rules before you make the decision.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 4
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/15/2013 9:46:14 PM   
fredmans

Thanks for your thoughts! They just go to show why I love this game.

/Fredmans

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 5
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/16/2013 1:27:48 AM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

If you go for Gibraltar, your opponent (France) may surrender if he has lost half of his factories in his home country. Incomplete surrender is then played out establishing a new capital.

Everything but mainland France becomes Free-French, and worse still, all the Free-French units cooperate with the Brits.

It's critical you read the incomplete surrender rules before you make the decision.

Unless they changed something major from RAW, this is incorrect. If France surrenders (or is conquered) there is no Free France, there's just France, which is incompletely conquered.

And while all their colonies would be under control of France, they wouldn't co-operate with the British, and they wouldn't be eligible for the Free French CBVs.

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 6
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/16/2013 5:05:48 AM   
paulderynck

Partly true. Incompletely conquered France does get the Free French CBVs though, per the 2009 FAQ (Q22.4-35), which is incorporated into MWiF.

Paul

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 7
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/16/2013 2:03:44 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Oh, really? Didn't realize. Note to self, if going for Spain, make sure to get Algeria at the very least before finishing the French off in the mainland.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 8
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/16/2013 3:18:03 PM   
henri51

If you got Bo's pdf document "Annual 98"), there is a lang and detailed AAR ("Titans...") that describes a multiplayer game where the Axis went after Gibralter, were delayed in France, Africa and Russia but the Axis won anyway.

(in reply to fredmans)
Post #: 9
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/16/2013 8:24:24 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

I usually rush to Vichy because I rarely go for Spain/Gibraltar and want to get a headstart on Barb '41. Removing the French Fleet is also a large consideration.

My advice is to keep a save game at the point just prior to Vichy declaration and play it both ways.

Excellent suggestion!

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 10
RE: Vichy or not? - 11/20/2013 6:57:09 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

If you do not install Vichy the Free-French are not created.

If France surrenders the French home country it remains France and still doesn't cooperate with the CW (Commonwealth).

There is a big difference between France and the Free-French.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> The War Room >> Vichy or not? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI