Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Death Stars

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Death Stars Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Death Stars - 11/15/2013 8:22:43 PM   
coreyjones

How do allied players deal with the threat of death stars... my opponent has pulled it a couple of times but seriously.... how does one deal with this threat...
Post #: 1
RE: Death Stars - 11/15/2013 8:33:05 PM   
Lecivius

He waits until he builds his own

(in reply to coreyjones)
Post #: 2
RE: Death Stars - 11/15/2013 8:35:39 PM   
nashvillen

And build them, they will... And, their's float!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3
RE: Death Stars - 11/15/2013 9:23:57 PM   
moore4807

Land Based Air! You build up your base with your numerically superior engineers to AF7 and have 4 groups of Fighters 2 groups of SBD's and a TBD sqdrn... Even if your using P40's and P39's they will work if in sufficient numbers.

Most Death Stars wont take that challenge because the damage they suffer...

Lather, Rinse, Repeat your way across the Pacific...

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 4
RE: Death Stars - 11/15/2013 9:53:06 PM   
DaveConn

+1 on land-based air. As an Allied player, I am always eager to trade my LBA for IJN carrier pilots!

Plus, go where they are not! Seeing a death star means you know where essentially all your opponents carriers are--so go on the offensive somewhere else!

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 5
RE: Death Stars - 11/15/2013 10:13:55 PM   
Miller

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 6
RE: Death Stars - 11/16/2013 12:10:25 AM   
Lokasenna

Fall back, fall back, fall back...Let them overextend, then cut off the roads and rails - no more rice or beans for those troops. Watch them wither after that, or beat a hasty retreat to take back the LOC.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 7
RE: Death Stars - 11/16/2013 1:47:55 AM   
Feltan

Use "the Force."

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 8
RE: Death Stars - 11/16/2013 5:42:26 AM   
JocMeister

You can´t really do much. China I assume?

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 9
RE: Death Stars - 11/16/2013 12:36:38 PM   
ny59giants

Go to DBB website and download the modified 'pwhex' files that place stacking limits on ALL hexes. You can do this for any game, even if you are in 1943.

https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/map-and-art/ab-extended-map

I would talk with your opponent about having a few days to break down the "Death Star" before applying the new files.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 10
RE: Death Stars - 11/16/2013 12:46:56 PM   
Encircled

Love the SL

Put them in mid game v the AI, and its a totally different land war.

Got task forces running here, there and everywhere to try and split my troops between bases so I'm not massively overstacked everywhere.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 11
RE: Death Stars - 11/16/2013 6:16:24 PM   
kaleun

The death star just means that all his carriers are in one place. Strike elsewhere. Make him sail around use up fuel and accumulate SD.

Fabian tactis

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 12
RE: Death Stars - 11/17/2013 4:18:53 AM   
crsutton

Are you talking carriers or land units? Carriers, you just have to avoid the death star for a while. Try to nip a few with your submarines but I would not risk my big six American carriers against a full blown death star.

Land units well in China you can really do much about it but keep throwing fodder in the way. Just think of the supplies he is burning through and you will feel better.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 13
RE: Death Stars - 11/17/2013 5:21:05 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Land units well in China you can really do much about it but keep throwing fodder in the way. Just think of the supplies he is burning through and you will feel better.

Especially since they all eat supplies at the 'combat rate', no matter if they're in combat against 50 AV or 1000, right? If there 8 divisions and supporting units eating at the combat rate instead of resting rate, that's a convoy's worth of supply.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 14
RE: Death Stars - 11/19/2013 2:43:47 PM   
AW1Steve

So if I understand the early use of American "death stars" , since your fighters and control is weak, you can use them provided you supplement them with heavy LBA , follow them around with a even bigger "Supply Star", and use MPA and sub support. Roving ASW patrols breaking trail are a good thing too. Does this work?

It sound like this leviathan , at least in the early part of the war, by virtue of it staying with supporting forces and LBA , would be relatively slow , at least when compared with late war CVTF's. So provided that fuel's not an issue , how about surrounding the CV's with old BB's? You have enough of them , your probably not doing many invasions in the war , they certainly can soak up torpedoes and you'll get more training by steaming around then sitting in harbor.

I know this is the opposite of "fast carrier raids" , but would these Ponderous juggernauts "doing the baby elephant walk" give even the KB a run for it's money? especially with LBA , ASW , and submarine support?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 15
RE: Death Stars - 11/19/2013 2:54:51 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

So if I understand the early use of American "death stars" , since your fighters and control is weak, you can use them provided you supplement them with heavy LBA , follow them around with a even bigger "Supply Star", and use MPA and sub support. Roving ASW patrols breaking trail are a good thing too. Does this work?

It sound like this leviathan , at least in the early part of the war, by virtue of it staying with supporting forces and LBA , would be relatively slow , at least when compared with late war CVTF's. So provided that fuel's not an issue , how about surrounding the CV's with old BB's? You have enough of them , your probably not doing many invasions in the war , they certainly can soak up torpedoes and you'll get more training by steaming around then sitting in harbor.

I know this is the opposite of "fast carrier raids" , but would these Ponderous juggernauts "doing the baby elephant walk" give even the KB a run for it's money? especially with LBA , ASW , and submarine support?

On the last point, I doubt it. At least from a VP perspective. The IJN just has so many more torpedo bombers. Assuming you had some BBs in the Allied TF to soak bombs, they might die to torpedoes. Or get picked off by subs. And that's a lot of VPs that you don't really need to lose.

Once the Allied CV TF has comparable aircraft numbers... maybe. So sometime in the summer of '42, especially if the Brits come along.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 16
RE: Death Stars - 11/19/2013 3:09:54 PM   
HexHead

My thots eggzackly.

I didn't know about the TB numbers, but losing 300+ VP at an instance is discouraging. A bad day is 1200 VP handed to the opponent.

"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 17
RE: Death Stars - 11/19/2013 3:22:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: HexHead

My thots eggzackly.

I didn't know about the TB numbers, but losing 300+ VP at an instance is discouraging. A bad day is 1200 VP handed to the opponent.

Depending on the scenario (airgroup sizes are different in Scen 2 IIRC), the KB carries ~150 Kates by default. In comparison, 6 USN CVs in 1942 carry only 90 Avengers. Even after they resize to 18, it's only 108.

(in reply to HexHead)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Death Stars Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI