Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 7:22:08 AM   
Atts

As mentioned in tital, anyone? I've mentioned it a few times with no real response if passing topics.

Personally, i'd love to face up against my friends in a good solid Distant Worlds game. Although, obviously the game isn't currently even remotely designed to accomadate multiplayer.
Post #: 1
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 7:23:16 AM   
Atts

Grr... Any suggestions on why my threads keep getting double posted?

(in reply to Atts)
Post #: 2
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 8:38:26 AM   
Icemania

More than a few names here I'd enjoy a game with. Games with Jeeves would last months. Darkspire would be exceedingly friendly even if he lost. Kayoz I'd play for the entertainment value of in-game messages alone

That said, there are more than enough opportunities to improve SP, so MP should not be a priority until DW2.

In the near future GalCiv3 MP.

(in reply to Atts)
Post #: 3
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 9:33:19 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

Darkspire would be exceedingly friendly even if he lost

That would only be if the messages are in hex not base 10

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 11/20/2013 10:33:52 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 4
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 10:05:19 AM   
ASHBERY76

No.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 5
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 11:28:41 AM   
Atts

Heh, well once the fourth expansion comes out, hopefully they'll have the lacking game factors downpat and we can all enjoy DW2 MP!

Turn Based game multiplayer doesn't work with me so much, it's very time consuming you might only get 10 turns out of 4-5 hrs of gameplay due to the sheer scope of it.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 6
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 2:11:54 PM   
Plant

Fix singleplayer issues first. Then maybe multiplayer should be considered.

(in reply to Atts)
Post #: 7
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 6:23:40 PM   
Cauldyth

Zero interest.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 8
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 7:17:10 PM   
Max 86

No thanks, no interest

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 9
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/20/2013 11:16:56 PM   
adecoy95

im interested in multiplayer, but it would never happen

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 10
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/21/2013 6:27:08 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Atts
Although, obviously the game isn't currently even remotely designed to accomadate multiplayer.

It would be a completely different game. It would have to be almost completely redesigned, rewritten and completely new test matrices planned. It would be DW in name alone.

It's not likely to happen any time soon.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Atts)
Post #: 11
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/21/2013 3:28:27 PM   
Shark7

Let me put it this way: I don't mind having a MP component of the game so long as the SP does not suffer to make it happen.

I for one am sick of these so-called AAA titles that have no story-line and incomplete SP gameplay in the name of the all-mighty multiplayer. If you are making a game that revolves around MP, then it is an MMO and should not be sold as a single-player experience. This is more of a problem with console games than PC games, fortunately.

And for the record, I have played and enjoyed MMOs...both PVP and PVE types. But most of the time I prefer to play a SP game and enjoy it, rather than being in constant competition with other players. It's the reason I enjoy SimCity 4 and DW as much as I do...I don't have to compete. I just play the game at my pace and enjoy it.

So from my point of view, get the SP game working great first, then lets see about making MP happen. And for the record, I do think that playing DW against the rest of the community would be pretty awesome, we do tend to have a more mature player base than other types of games.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 12
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/21/2013 6:31:36 PM   
Setekh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Let me put it this way: I don't mind having a MP component of the game so long as the SP does not suffer to make it happen.

I for one am sick of these so-called AAA titles that have no story-line and incomplete SP gameplay in the name of the all-mighty multiplayer. If you are making a game that revolves around MP, then it is an MMO and should not be sold as a single-player experience. This is more of a problem with console games than PC games, fortunately.

This.
A thousand times this.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 13
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/21/2013 7:53:30 PM   
Plant

Games with an all-mighty multiplayer usually have a poor single player gameplay precisely because the main focus of the game is multiplayer. However, Distant Worlds doesn't have a mulitplayer component. I've never heard of a game sold as a single player experience, but revolves around multiplayer to be honest.

(in reply to Setekh)
Post #: 14
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/22/2013 2:46:13 AM   
Atts

Agreed on the AAA stuff, particularly with Console, unfortuantly that's where the money is, people play a single player games for it's hr base, say 10-20 hrs then forget it exists, whilst a multiplayer game people could play for hundreds of hours or more. As such entincing companies to make DLC and therefore make more money.

Of course this doesn't apply to anything EA related but most other companies seem to work like that. Consoles as a whole are slowly dieing off, I'd hazard a guess that the Xbox One and PS4 will be the last generation of gaming consoles.

I don't think MP itself is an evil, just the current implementation of it, I agree with most statements, fix SP then MP.

So given all that, what would you guys like to see in DW2? IF they fix up DW to be perfect SP what would be the point in a DW2? Aside from new lore, story line, etc.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 15
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/22/2013 2:17:58 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Atts

Agreed on the AAA stuff, particularly with Console, unfortuantly that's where the money is, people play a single player games for it's hr base, say 10-20 hrs then forget it exists, whilst a multiplayer game people could play for hundreds of hours or more. As such entincing companies to make DLC and therefore make more money.

Of course this doesn't apply to anything EA related but most other companies seem to work like that. Consoles as a whole are slowly dieing off, I'd hazard a guess that the Xbox One and PS4 will be the last generation of gaming consoles.

I don't think MP itself is an evil, just the current implementation of it, I agree with most statements, fix SP then MP.

So given all that, what would you guys like to see in DW2? IF they fix up DW to be perfect SP what would be the point in a DW2? Aside from new lore, story line, etc.

Yep, SimCity 2013 is the PERFECT example of pointless MP that ruined the SP game. Then again, EA pertty much ruins anything they touch these days.

As to DW2, I'd like a new storyline along with a new universe, new systems (such as manufacturing), etc. I still don't mind a MP component being built into the game though.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Atts)
Post #: 16
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/22/2013 3:26:24 PM   
elanaagain

I would not care for a multilayer (against other users) game using the current DWxx game engine/environment. Prefer sandbox in a small galaxy (minimum stars, colonizable planets, and med size grid. A game against users in current environment would probably have timed moves in real time, and so favor those with quick reflexes, better keyboarding skills, and better hand eye coordination. However, if multiplayer - user games were implemented via 'email,' turn based, with conditional commands given (or orders given) I would be very interested. All players input moves for turn, (with mission paramenters designated for each 'force.' Then the host implements the moves in a simultaneous-move environment. Upon completion of running the si-move turn, the server/host then 'emails' the turn results to all players. Such an arraignment would require a vast rewriting of the game code, perhaps even a different engine?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 17
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/22/2013 9:18:40 PM   
buncheesy

For me distant worlds is a 'real time pausable single player experience'. I add the extra bit because the whole turn based element is also on some players wish list. Given the nature of the game, throwing in multiplayer or a seperate turn based battle screen, would totally change the game so its no longer distant worlds.

Theres plenty of great turn based multplayer and perhaps real time strategy multiplayer games (I presume?...I dont play them, just Battlefield 3 occasionally for instant gratification/frustration!)

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 18
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/23/2013 12:29:31 AM   
Shark7

Plus the fact that I just don't think I'd care for a turn based DW. It worked for MoO, but this is not MoO.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to buncheesy)
Post #: 19
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/23/2013 11:33:45 AM   
Ranbir

I just want more expanded single player sandbox. More flavour, more events, more 'living galaxy' feel.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 20
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/23/2013 8:18:58 PM   
Plant

I'll settle for an economic system I can understand, and less spaghetti coding.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 21
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/24/2013 11:26:04 AM   
Icemania

And if we had MP, I'd very much like to keep an economic system that you don't understand ...

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 22
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/24/2013 4:43:52 PM   
Plant

Semantics.

An understandable economic system.

< Message edited by Plant -- 11/24/2013 5:47:21 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 23
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/25/2013 9:23:26 AM   
Icemania

A reasonable component of it is understandable

< Message edited by Icemania -- 11/25/2013 10:28:31 AM >

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 24
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/25/2013 3:43:00 PM   
Plant

An unreasonable component of it is ununderstandable.

< Message edited by Plant -- 11/25/2013 4:44:24 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 25
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/26/2013 9:40:12 AM   
Icemania

As I said, if that it is really what you think, bring on MP!!!

< Message edited by Icemania -- 11/26/2013 10:40:38 AM >

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 26
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/26/2013 4:19:51 PM   
Plant

OK! I challenge you to a game right now!

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 27
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/26/2013 5:24:55 PM   
Lucian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Pretty much sums up my feelings about MP as well.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 28
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/28/2013 3:04:28 AM   
Hawawaa

I would love multiplayer, but single player and mod support first (keep these people happy ie they are in the majority) So adding multiplayer in last is fine in my book.

(in reply to Lucian)
Post #: 29
RE: Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? - 11/28/2013 1:31:22 PM   
Raap

Yeah, no thanks. A multiplayer game is fun now and then, but I'd prefer this one to focus everything on SP. I wouldn't mind better AI though.

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Is anyone actually interested in Multiplayer? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI